Are we too old to take transatlantic cruise?

cruisetime25

My husband wants to go on TA which includes Ireland where we have many relatives and friends. He's in his mid 80s and I'm in my mid 70s. Our health is good and we feel happy about that. We've been on about 30 cruises and have never been on a TA. Because I hate the hassle of flying I thought a TA would be perfect but am concerned about being out in the Atlantic for such a long time? What would you do? Should we stick closer to home and stay on the shorter cruises?

On our April 2016 Jewel of the Seas transatlantic we had 4 people over 100 years of age.

The decision on whether you are too old or not is strictly up to you. That having been said, if you're not sure what to do on the at-sea days you need to work this out.

My husband wants to go on TA which includes Ireland where we have many relatives and friends. He's in his mid 80s and I'm in my mid 70s. Our health is good and we feel happy about that. We've been on about 30 cruises and have never been on a TA. Because I hate the hassle of flying I thought a TA would be perfect but am concerned about being out in the Atlantic for such a long time? What would you do? Should we stick closer to home and stay on the shorter cruises?

I want to go on a TA too but my wife does not . I am a bit younger than both of you but due to medical problems flying is no longer an option.My wife does not like having so many sea days . I am trying to convince her that this would be a wonderful cruise.

I enjoy transatlantic cruises, and providing you have no significant or serious health concerns I don't see a problem. Any age can have an accident or medical emergency, and they do have medical staff on board.

Personally I find the airline travel one way to be the biggest pain/problem - don't overlook that! There are not many cruises going both ways, unless you plan on spending a few months in Europe.

If you are in good health, no concern. My DH is 83, I am 70, we are going on a TA in October out of Barcelona... for 14 days.. to Florida. We do buy insurance, that cover medical and emergency evacuation just in case... from Travel Guard, which I do on line .. I get an annual insurance for business travel that covers both of us for $518/ We do not buy insurance to cover our trip ... the insurance does cover some minor travel expenses if there are delays. Thiis is our 4th TA, we have done in the past 10 years.

I want to go on a TA too but my wife does not . I am a bit younger than both of you but due to medical problems flying is no longer an option.My wife does not like having so many sea days . I am trying to convince her that this would be a wonderful cruise.

Think about what she does on a cruise usually absent a port activities... she can do the same on a TA. We usually get into a routine on sea days, sleep in, have breakfast in the cabin w/room service, walk the main deck, join organized activities of interest, see a movie, go the gym, take swim... etc. Take a late afternoon nap, LOL ... go to dinner and a show... there is plenty to do... sea days are very relaxing.

We did a TA both ways with the med in between. Hal has a great 42 (around that number( trip from Ft Lauderdale ta , all around the Med and back to Ft Lauderdale. Great trip. BTW we did this cruise last Oct / Nov and my BIL turned 93 while onboard! Great trip with great memories!!!

Chances are your TA would be one way and the opposite would be a flight. I'd fly over, visit with freinds and relatives in Ireland and take a nice relaxing trip home by ship. Most likely however, you'd have to travel from Ireland to "somewhere else" to get the ship and catch a repo sailing that ends in Fla. Another option (if you wouldn't mind making your way to/from NY) is taking the Queen Mary to the UK. That sailing is considerably shorter than most TA's starting or ending in Fla.

Even in the middle of the Atlantic you will find small island in case of problems. We did an extraordinary emergency stop at the Azores at day 4 of our TA from Southampton to Cape Liberty. A passenger was picked up by the local pilot boat and brought to the hospital.

RXGfMDGMjpY

Unless you stop in Bermuda, a TA typically has at least five sea days in a row until you get to the Azores. I would prefer a long stretch of sea days and then a stops in more interesting ports.I prefer to travel in the spring because there is more daylight and you arrive in Europe with your biological clock mostly adjusted.

If someone is intent on being nervous about all those sea days, I would advise against a TA. I had a medical situation on my last TA and was very impressed with the medical care. I always purchase insurance right after my booking because of the preexisting conditions clause.

Your ages are no barrier though.

Being an older cruiser (later 70s) who has done several TAs, I say go for it, if it fits your budget and your health is reasonably good.

Personally, I love TAs, with all those lovely relaxing sea days, opportunities to make new travel friends, maybe a stop at Madeira and/or Bermuda, and arriving back in the USA rested and relaxed. It's great!

We did a TA both ways with the med in between. Hal has a great 42 (around that number( trip from Ft Lauderdale ta , all around the Med and back to Ft Lauderdale. Great trip. BTW we did this cruise last Oct / Nov and my BIL turned 93 while onboard! Great trip with great memories!!!

I wish someone would do that the other way round. Start from Europe, sail down the East coast of Canada and the US and then sail back to Europe. I'd take that cruise. 42 days on a ship would suit me very well.

If you have medical problems what would you do if something happens mid Atlantic?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you have medical problems what would you do if something happens mid Atlantic?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it's a question of your (general) comfort with the risks. We've done a couple of trans-Pacific cruises with the knowledge that we are further away from outside medical care than even on a Transatlantic. If we had a medical problem, we'd be relying on the ship's doctor to help for several days, and knowing that he or she can't do everything a big hospital could. That's acceptable for us, but everyone's limits are different.

Chances are your TA would be one way and the opposite would be a flight. I'd fly over, visit with freinds and relatives in Ireland and take a nice relaxing trip home by ship. Most likely however, you'd have to travel from Ireland to "somewhere else" to get the ship and catch a repo sailing that ends in Fla. Another option (if you wouldn't mind making your way to/from NY) is taking the Queen Mary to the UK. That sailing is considerably shorter than most TA's starting or ending in Fla.

We just took a Celebrity TA from MIA to Southampton. We toured England for about a week and returned to NYC via the QM2.

Both great TAs. From NYC we took Amtrak back to MIA and had our own private cabin with all meals and a cabin steward included. Amtrak customer service was always excellent!

Best of all; NO FLYING WHATSOEVER! Where there is a will, there is a way.

On my last TA, one of the trivia questions was, what is the average age of all passengers sailing on this trip? The answer was 78, yes that was the average age, not the oldest person. I was in my late 50's at the time so you see, you are never too old for a TA, as long as your health is OK. As others have said, the sea days are very relaxing, as you don't have to do anything but sit back and enjoy the view.