Hot sweaty mess

Notonboard

I got to say that Princess is so much better at the muster drill. We sailed Royal Caribbean last year and the fact that they made us stand OUTSIDE in the HOT sun with everyone else on the ship was horrible.

Oh and Royal Caribbean’s breakfast? Forget about it....you shouldn’t be able to use your hash brown as a hammer.

That's interesting because RCL's sister line Celebrity does the muster drills in the various inside spaces. It may be based on where the Muster Stations are set though, I hazily remember RCL as having life vest cabinets on the exterior of the ship... maybe that's what requires them to muster to those locations? :confused:

Our Carnival muster drill was a combination. It started inside and then the guides led the passengers to the actual lifeboat locations outside. On that cruise, though, we were traveling with my then 85-year-old mother-in-law and got to skip going outside during the drill.

SOLAS prefers the muster location to be outside, and near the lifeboats, if possible. Older ships were designed this way, and therefore their muster stations will be outside for the life of the vessel. Newer ships decreased the size of the promenade deck (non-revenue generating space) to the extent that safe mustering as well as continued access along the deck during muster was no longer possible. The class societies then started granting permission to locate muster stations inside, provided the spaces designated were designed for proper volume, power, HVAC, ingress and egress points and routes, etc. It really wasn't done for passenger comfort, but to increase the amount of revenue generating volume (inside) in the ships.

The last time we were on a RCCL ship was in 2013 and we had to stand outside in the heat in one large group of smelly pax near each point. They called out the roll. I since have heard on here that they have moved it indoors (but maybe not all ships?).

CCL or at least the several we have been on in the last few years holds their drill indoors sans life jackets which is a lot more humane IMO.

Last Princess cruise we had the drill indoors as it has been for years but were not required to drag our life jackets with us. It helped with the dismissal in that not everyone was headed back to their cabins. One cruise when we had to bring the life jackets, the crowd to go back up to the cabins was so large, I instead went to a bar to wait and down a few. When I left I forgot I had the life jacket and left it behind. A day or two later the cabin steward was giving the evil eye as to where that life jacket was. I never knew what happened after an intense grilling as to what I had done with it.

I got to say that Princess is so much better at the muster drill. We sailed Royal Caribbean last year and the fact that they made us stand OUTSIDE in the HOT sun with everyone else on the ship was horrible.

I agree 100%.

It was pure torture on RCCL. It was hot - we were directly in the sun, standing on a deck, for a long time before the muster drill even began. I cannot stand for longer than 10 minutes due to a back trauma, so I had to sit down on the floor. Our 3 yo was hot and uncomfortable and didn't really care to stand still for that long either.

We love Princess' muster drills a whole lot more!!!!

Oh and Royal Caribbean’s breakfast? Forget about it....you shouldn’t be able to use your hash brown as a hammer.

Careful now, I use to call Princess hash browns, "hockey puck" potatoes. I didn't see any on the buffet line and I later found out that they keep them in the back of the galley, and you have to ask for them.

I like the way Princess is now doing Muster drills. Anyone who hasn't had their SS card scanned must attend a drill, no skating out of it.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. We sailed on RCCL for the first time in years ... have been sailing mostly on Princess and Celebrity in that time. RCCL still had their muster drill outside and yes, their food was just NOT good (except their specialty dining).

I'd go on RCCL again but it would have to be a great deal.

Some posters are referring to muster as an annoyance. My wife and I pay as much attention as we can during muster as we feel it is counter productive to do otherwise.

The ones who don't pay attention will probably be the same people who won't know what do to and/or where to go in case they are actually on board a ship in the event of an emergency. They will, therefore, be possible problems for the crew and dangers to other cruisers. You and your wife, however, will probably be informed and do what you should do when you should do it. Good for you!! :halo:

Tom

For once the line's profiteering benefits the passenger!

If the cruise line doesn't make a profit, you don't have a cruise, as the cruise line goes out of business.

Last I looked, making a profit is not illegal, immoral or unethical.

SOLAS prefers the muster location to be outside, and near the lifeboats, if possible. Older ships were designed this way, and therefore their muster stations will be outside for the life of the vessel. Newer ships decreased the size of the promenade deck (non-revenue generating space) to the extent that safe mustering as well as continued access along the deck during muster was no longer possible. The class societies then started granting permission to locate muster stations inside, provided the spaces designated were designed for proper volume, power, HVAC, ingress and egress points and routes, etc. It really wasn't done for passenger comfort, but to increase the amount of revenue generating volume (inside) in the ships.

That can't be the only reason...the Pacific Princess is an "older" ship and the muster drills are held inside.

We were on a RC ship last summer and they packed us like sardines on an outside deck in the sun. It was horrible! I wouldn’t have minded an outside deck if I didn’t have to be smashed in and touched on all sides. I’m surprised I didn’t get pregnant out there!

As for the buffet, they always seemed to close early in the evening. It was either Dinner in the MDR or in the buffet, you could never do both. Sometimes you just want a sweet treat later in the evening.

Edited by PlopPlop
I’m an idiot

That can't be the only reason...the Pacific Princess is an "older" ship and the muster drills are held inside.

Haven't been on this ship, so I can't say for sure, but my question is, did the muster stations change from when the ship was new to now? I'd be very surprised if they did (it isn't impossible, just very costly) to have the new spaces checked to see that they meet the requirements for a muster location, and then reprint all of the documentation, reorganize the crew emergency station bill, SOLAS placards, etc to meet a group of new muster locations. My guess is that the promenade under the boats was not sufficiently large, even back then, for the required number of passengers to muster and still allow passage past the muster stations for people still moving towards them.

That's interesting because RCL's sister line Celebrity does the muster drills in the various inside spaces. It may be based on where the Muster Stations are set though, I hazily remember RCL as having life vest cabinets on the exterior of the ship... maybe that's what requires them to muster to those locations? :confused:

Yes, but not all the Celebrity muster stations are comfortable. Last year on Solstice we had to assemble in the art gallery area near the theatre. We had to stand in lines against one wall, jam packed like sardines in a tin. There were a few token seats for those who couldn't stand for long. We couldn't see the video nor the crew demonstrating things, we couldn't hear what was being said, the air-con in the area couldn't cope and it got so hot I nearly passed out. To add to the discomfort the muster drill started over 20 minutes late, I think because they were trying to track down people who hadn't shown up. It was most unpleasant compared with the Princess muster drills, and totally useless. If I had been a first time cruise I would not have had a clue what to do in an emergency.

A word of advice to all, when you walk into a restaurant, mover theater, concert venue or any enclosed space, the first thing you should do is look for the EXIT signs, you should always be aware of your escape route in case of an emergency.....

A word of advice to all, when you walk into a restaurant, mover theater, concert venue or any enclosed space, the first thing you should do is look for the EXIT signs, you should always be aware of your escape route in case of an emergency.....

So should you do this during muster when they put 5 zillion people in the Princess theater..?:D;).

I don't care if I am hot and sweaty...I prefer to be outside to see what is going on.......or anywhere else but the Princess theater...always dread it when we have a forward cabin.....

Seems to me that holding them inside and not requiring us to put on the lifejackets have taken the seriousness out of the drill.

Princess has always held the muster drill inside and has done this for a couple of reasons:

a) An emergency situation may occur any hour of the day and in any weather and may last several hours and 99.9% of the time does not result in abandoning the ship. Having the muster station inside means passengers can wait in relative comfort until the emergency is over.

b) In a real emergency, one or more of the lifecraft may not function or be accessible due to the type of emergency. By mustering inside, the crew can lead passengers to working lifecraft if it does become necessary to abandon ship.

I like the way Princess is now doing Muster drills. Anyone who hasn't had their SS card scanned must attend a drill, no skating out of it.

Not really.

If you miss a muster they'll send you a letter detailing all the highlights of the drill.

No makeups required.