Is Embarkation deadline really 90 minutes out?

Terribly sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm reading that by policy all passengers must be on board 90 minutes prior to embarkation. Has anyone been refused boarding for arriving less than 90 minutes out?

I ask because my cruise is scheduled to depart Miami at 4:00pm, and my flight into Ft. Lauderdale arrives at 12:25pm.

After picking up luggage and taking the shuttle, I estimate I'll get to port by 2:00pm. Close, I know, but there are no earlier flights that day.

About 10 years ago, due to traffic and an error with time zones, I arrived at the Barcelona port within 30 minutes of embarkation as wasn't denied boarding, but admittedly that was a different era, country, and cruise line.

Just hoping to hear what *actually* happens in Miami if arriving "late."

Thanks!

The cruise line needs to get the manifest to the US government in time to sail, so they set a cut off time of 90 minutes before scheduled departure.

I'd seriously look for an earlier flight or arrive the day before. You have very little leeway for delay.

Would definitely book an earlier flight. Many experienced cruisers recommend flying in a day ahead of a cruise. Also note you are cruising from Miami and flying into FLL. Personally don't think you will make it.

There have been numerous reports on CC - one I remember in particular who were driving and just took their time - where the time is not debatable or arguable, even by just a few minutes.

If you absolutely can't change your flight time...you might check with RCI about transfers.....they will tell you if your flight time is allowable. I usually always avoid cruise transfers but this might be a case where they (although expensive) might work out best. We have been onboard when the ship has delayed departure due to their booked transfers were arriving late. Worth looking into in this situation.

Best of luck.

If you absolutely can't change your flight time...you might check with RCI about transfers.....they will tell you if your flight time is allowable. I usually always avoid cruise transfers but this might be a case where they (although expensive) might work out best. We have been onboard when the ship has delayed departure due to their booked transfers were arriving late. Worth looking into in this situation.

Best of luck.

This is not going to help if the OP didn't book their flights with the cruisline. If the cruiseline books flights, they are responsible to get you to the ship. If not, it's your problem to be on time. Transfers have nothing to do with it.

If you have to stick to that flight time certainly don't take a shuttle either. A shuttle may stop at multiple terminals at the airport and will probably stop at multiple ships in port to drop off, you may be first or you may be last and every minute will count. Traffic from FLL to Miami is also an issue, might be smooth sailing or you could get stuck for any number of reason.

I would take everyone's advice and fly in the day before or at least earlier in the day.

This is not going to help if the OP didn't book their flights with the cruisline. If the cruiseline books flights, they are responsible to get you to the ship. If not, it's your problem to be on time. Transfers have nothing to do with it.

Really :confused:.....I believe you can just book transfers with the cruise line .... and not your air ... We did on one of our Alaska cruises because we needed the transfers due to traveling with a toddler and opted to not bring a carseat for airport to ship transportation.

I agree with everyone.You might make it with time to spare,but your timing is close. I would make an earlier flight., any delay on your flight or accident on the road, could possibly delay the best of plans. . I was going to MIA from my home (20 minutes away) left an hour and a half early, and with an accident on the Palmetto,, ended up missing my flight. Traffic here can be a nightmare or smooth as silk. Give yourself plenty of time. Have a great cruise.

Really :confused:.....I believe you can just book transfers with the cruise line .... and not your air ... We did on one of our Alaska cruises because we needed the transfers due to traveling with a toddler and opted to not bring a carseat for airport to ship transportation.

You can, but that certainly isn't going to help if your flight is late.

Another vote for getting there the day before. I flew down day-of once, on my first cruise, and that was enough. It's been day before ever since. I'd much rather spring for a hotel for a night than worry about missing the ship.

Something to consider - even if the weather is perfect between where you live and Florida, a bad storm in NYC or Chicago or LAX can screw up airline schedules for the entire country. It'd really suck to miss the ship because of a storm a thousand miles away from your flightpath.

Another vote for getting there the day before. I flew down day-of once, on my first cruise, and that was enough. It's been day before ever since. I'd much rather spring for a hotel for a night than worry about missing the ship.

Something to consider - even if the weather is perfect between where you live and Florida, a bad storm in NYC or Chicago or LAX can screw up airline schedules for the entire country. It'd really suck to miss the ship because of a storm a thousand miles away from your flightpath.

Living in Wisconsin used to snow-related weather problems, but have had more cruise related weather delays in Fort Lauderdale and Miami because of thunderstorms/lightening including a diversion to Orlando.

You can, but that certainly isn't going to help if your flight is late.

Really...I kinda disagree...Any reason to be sure there won't be other booked cruiser's on the flight or on similar arriving carrier's ??

I think it's best for the OP to find this out directly with RCI...If RCI will book the transfers at the arrival time of the OP's flight the ship will wait for their booked passengers as long as they can.

No need to disagree the point with you, a simple phone call is all that's needed to RCI for this information of allowed arrival times eligible for transfers.

Edited by Ashland

We did that as well and our plane WAS late getting in so it worked out very well. Good idea!!!

The CBP rule is this ship must submit it's manifest 60 minutes before sail-a-way. RCI uses the extra 30 minutes to get the data over to the government. But the rule is you must be onboard 90 minutes before sail-a-way.

IF you can get a ship sponsored transfer, the 90-minute interval will shift for their arrival if the bus is 'late'. You need to book their transfer, but you had better be sure your flight is not late.

Better be sure you have insurance to get to the first port. You have a 50-50 shot at being on time.

I recommend flying in a night early if possible. Too stressful to start vacation mode worrying about making it on the ship. It costs a bit more for a hotel for the night before your cruise but the peace of mind to me is worth it. We always fly in the night before. We are flying into Fort Lauderdale for a cruise out of Miami in Sept and arriving 7 pm the night before. Taking an uber from FLL to our hotel at the port in Miami. It's the Holiday Inn port of Miami and only $118 a night. Then a short $12 cab to the port the next day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had to do this a year ago due the DH being in the hospital the day before the cruise ( long story) and the only flight we could change to got in @ 12:30. This was FLL where the pier is close to the airport. We made it with 30 minutes to spare. Very stressful. We also went with the full knowledge that we might not make it. I would NEVER attempt again but we simply had no choice. Try it or not go was our choice. You have a choice. Change your flight so you do not have to stress. If you don’t you can’t blame RCCL or the airline if it doesn’t work. Be sure you have insurance.

Re read the post. Miami no way. Land in FLL and get your checked bags takes at least 45 min to an hour. Then minimum 45 minutes to an hour to Miami by cab and that’s if there’s no traffic. You might arrive by 2:30 if EVERYTHING goes perfect.

I will echo the sentiment - change that flight! Do to no fault of our own, we missed check-in cut-off for a flight by 5 minutes once - even in Business Class they would not put us on that flight. We got another one for later in the day, but if it had been same-day, we would have missed our ship.

PLEASE change the flight. It is just waaayyyy too close. Maybe if you were landing in the same city it might be OK, but you're not. Ugh.