Place saver sign for Lido restaurant

sunonfire

If I see an empty table with a sign reserved, I say thank you, and sit down....it's for me? Because I'm no special than you are. If I see a book or jacket, I just assume someone left it, and move it to the side. Unless you are sitting at the table, it's not yours. The book, jacket or silly sign is meaningless.

If you are so concerned about this, may I suggest an alternative. Go when not busy. Try the MDR. Maybe a fabulous hamburger. But remember, you are not any more special than me.

On our last cruise we discovered the Lido is better for us at dinner, the food was good, we can get as much or as little as we like, and like you said, it just takes too long to get through a dinner in the MDR, and I personally don't like sitting at a dining table for over an hour. We still enjoy brunch in the MDR though :)

i also prefer the lido for dinner too. it is sometimes quiet there too and there is no signing/dancing waiters too. this is why i have anytime dinning in case there is a rare possibility we go to the MDR if we see something we like.

I did a search and could not find any postings. I am thinking about bringing a computer printed sign to hold our table at the Lido Restaurant. In the past we have had to take turns getting food which is a pain. We have also had our table cleared by the bussers even though we had only gone for dessert. My husband has back issues so he wants to sit as soon as he gets his food. He hates having to look for me or a table. So I would prefer to pick out table before getting our food. We normally eat early to avoid the crowds. I know guests leave books to save a table. I just thought a sign would be better. Any thoughts?

Well, everyone has "issues" or reasons why they should be able to reserve a table, a pool lounger, seats in the theatre, etc, etc, etc.

Other than embarkation day, which is busy for everyone, you always have the option of eating breakfast, lunch, brunch and dinner in a sit-down restaurant.

There! Problem solved!

I'm Diamond and I don't get nor want special seating and I wouldn't think very highly of anyone if I saw a home-made reserved sign. The only signs acceptable for tables is cruise provided handicapped seating signs.

i also prefer the lido for dinner too. it is sometimes quiet there too and there is no signing/dancing waiters too. this is why i have anytime dinning in case there is a rare possibility we go to the MDR if we see something we like.

Exactly, we got anytime for our next cruise as well for that very reason, there might be a night we want to go, so it's been left as an option.

Call me dense but how is putting a personal item or such to hold a table any different from a sign? Regardless what item you leave the end result is the same, a table being saved until someone in your party plants their butt there.

I think it's different because if it's a personal item, it seems clear the person is just getting their food and will be back in a minute or two. A sign makes it seem like the person intends to hold the table for a while.

My husband and I always take turns getting our food and it's never been any hassle. We also try to avoid the buffet during the busiest times.

We have never had a hard time finding a table at the Lido buffet, it may not always be in the best of locations but you can always find one.

As for a sign, a hat or some other personal item, if that was the only table available I would ignore it and sit down. As others have said, you don't get a reserved table on the Lido deck.

I think it's different because if it's a personal item, it seems clear the person is just getting their food and will be back in a minute or two. A sign makes it seem like the person intends to hold the table for a while.

My husband and I always take turns getting our food and it's never been any hassle. We also try to avoid the buffet during the busiest times.

Yeah....I see the difference. Putting a sign does sound like "entitlement", but putting down something personal, as we do, means "I'll be right back".

In any case, the total time to "occupy the table" takes less time than if we take turns. We each get the food at the same time and eat at the same time. With taking turns...one gets the food....comes back....the other person gets the food and comes back. In the time it takes #2 to get the food....both of us are finishing up. With taking turns....#2 is just starting his meal.

That's pretty much been our strategy at any buffet, find a table and take turns. It especially works for us as DH eats more slowly due to a medical condition, so I let him get his food first, then I get mine and we finish about the same time. Alternatively, say we are getting something like pizza or deli sandwiches, DH gets drinks and finds a table, and I go grab the food. Teamwork makes the dream work! :D

Carnival has their own sign that says "Private Function", which is put outside a closed door of a venue when a special event is being hosted.

I can't tell you the amount of times that curious cruisers have opened the door "just to take a peek" at what activity is going on inside that room.

Rudeness works both ways.

That's pretty much been our strategy at any buffet, find a table and take turns. It especially works for us as DH eats more slowly due to a medical condition, so I let him get his food first, then I get mine and we finish about the same time. Alternatively, say we are getting something like pizza or deli sandwiches, DH gets drinks and finds a table, and I go grab the food. Teamwork makes the dream work! :D

This is what we do, only in reverse. He goes first and eats a little on the fast side, I get mine and eat kind of slow. Then he goes for seconds and we finish about the same time. We're like a well-oiled machine. lol

I still don't know about the whole sign thing ... I have no idea why that rubs me the wrong way, because if I saw a book or a sweater or a meal that still looked in progress I would just move on. Like I'm going to push plates of food over and put mine down on the same table next to them? That's kind of gross - it's not like there is an empty table around to put them or I would be sitting at it. :cool:

OMG, that is just downright rude. There are so many places to eat that are not on lido and everyone else takes turns getting food, so why can't you? It sounds like cruising may not be your best option if you feel entitled to a table. I was hoping this post was a joke when I first read it. Everyone has a reason they want to save tables but just because you can't find a written rule doesn't mean you can do it. There is no written rule on carnival saying you can't spit in someones food but people don't do it because it's wrong!! There are plenty of tables to go around, they just might not be exactly where you want them.

I take my first cruise in 14 years in about 2 months. Have been reading these boards a long time.

I would not hesitate to ignore a reserved sign, except of course an "official" sign placed there by the cruise line. And yes, if someone made an "official" appearing sign, I am sure I would be easily fooled by it, and keep walking.

But by the same token, if I were sitting at a table and saw someone needing to sit for medical and/or physical reasons, and they could not find a seat, then I would be the first to invite them to my table. Would get up and let them have my seat if need be. Courtesy and common decency.

But never would I attempt, or even think about attempting, what the OP is suggesting. Every one else on board has just as much right to a table as I do, and if they beat me to it, so be it.

Not trying to pass judgment, just stating how I would handle it.

I am going to be on vacation, and do not plan to worry about anything, especially something as trivial as this.

I take my first cruise in 14 years in about 2 months. Have been reading these boards a long time.

I would not hesitate to ignore a reserved sign, except of course an "official" sign placed there by the cruise line. And yes, if someone made an "official" appearing sign, I am sure I would be easily fooled by it, and keep walking.

But by the same token, if I were sitting at a table and saw someone needing to sit for medical and/or physical reasons, and they could not find a seat, then I would be the first to invite them to my table. Would get up and let them have my seat if need be. Courtesy and common decency.

But never would I attempt, or even think about attempting, what the OP is suggesting. Every one else on board has just as much right to a table as I do, and if they beat me to it, so be it.

Not trying to pass judgment, just stating how I would handle it.

I am going to be on vacation, and do not plan to worry about anything, especially something as trivial as this.

Yes, yes, 1000 times yes!! We always move if we see someone in need or offer to let them sit at our table. The sign would definitely rub me the wrong way because it would appear very pretentious. I've never seen someone with mobility issues wandering around the ship looking for a place to eat because no one would move or allow them to sit. Most people are more than happy to jump up and offer a seat because most people are kind. Not everyone, but most.

Depending on my mood and need for a table, I might ignore that too. I don't recognize a sign unless it is an official Carnival sign. Depending on my mood, I might tear up a homemade sign. I only consider a table taken if people are sitting at it or there are plates full of clearly uneaten food.

My husband and I learned the hard way our very first time eating on the Lido deck. We both went to the same food line and got our meals together. We set the plates down and layed out the silverware on each side of the plates. The plates were heaping full and untouched. We both went to get our cup of lemonade. Upon our return, which was quite fast, some old guy had stacked our plates, shoved them to the end of the table, and homesteaded our claim! Words were exchanged and that guy moved along. From that day on, our motto is, “ If your butt is not in the seat, you don’t get to eat!”

If I saw a homemade Reserved sign on a Lido table and there wasn't an empty table nearby, I'd take the sign and throw it away.

What kind of incredible narcissism does it take for someone to assume they don't have to follow the same rules everyone else does?

^^^^ That.

No one should have to find a new table after going for seconds, but a book etc should not be used to save a table before getting any food. It could take you half an hour or more to get through a line for that food.

Worse than any sign or place savers are the folks who sit at the table playing cards or just killing time while other people can’t find an empty table to eat at. Eat and move on!

Worse than any sign or place savers are the folks who sit at the table playing cards or just killing time while other people can’t find an empty table to eat at. Eat and move on!

Agreed! If there are a lot of empty tables, then who cares? Sit there all you want and play cards, dink around on your laptop, read your book, or whatever. But if you're done eating and notice other people trying find an empty table in a crowded dining room, then clear out already and let them have it. There are plenty of other places on the ship to sit and relax.

Agreed! If there are a lot of empty tables, then who cares? Sit there all you want and play cards, dink around on your laptop, read your book, or whatever. But if you're done eating and notice other people trying find an empty table in a crowded dining room, then clear out already and let them have it. There are plenty of other places on the ship to sit and relax.
This!!! My pet peeve on embarcation day before cabins are available and on debarkation morning!

Sent from my SM-J727P using Forums mobile app