What Gratuity to Leave at Specialty Restaurant?

San Diego Ellie

6 hours ago, Thrak said:

Whenever "tipping" comes up it's embarrassing to be from the US. Tipping is totally out of hand here. This is from someone who, in my youth, worked in restaurants. As for bars... I know someone who used to work as a bar waitress and my daughter knows several who work as bar waitresses. They make crazy money from tips. Yes, I understand that the basic wage for waitresses is low but the tips often bring their pay up well beyond what the "average" person makes where I live. As I do live in the US I do tip when I go out but not extravagantly.

Yes their wage is low but don't forget that tips aren't reported as income so they aren't even paying tax on the tip. 

I also agree with others that tipping is over done and somewhat barbaric.  It reminds me of some poor person with their hand stuck out and after receiving the tip saying thank you master as they bow.  For my part tipping needs to be abolished and the people doing the work fairly compensated just like the rest of us.  Europe has the right idea.   I do not tip on the ship other than the gratuity added to my folio.   What I do do for great service is find out their name and assignment and then report it on the evaluation form we get after the cruise praising them for their outstanding service.  This is one way they get promotions.  

• Like 3

We tipped once at the Crown Grill by adding it to the slip we had to sign. I noticed a couple of days later it had not appeared on my account. When I asked at customer service, they said that sometimes they run a few days behind in posting charges that are written in. It never appeared. So if you do want to tip extra, bring cash.

• Like 1

We tip quite well here in the USA but in Europe and Japan and elsewhere we follow the custom of the country where we are visiting.

I am surprised that folks tip extra for the one night(or more ) of specialty dining?

I thought that it was covered by the auto /gratuities? We do give extra to wait staff we have every day in the MDR but I had not thought about tipping the specialty staff the same amount as I would tip on land. I will have to think about that some more!

10 hours ago, -Lew- said:

Waitstaff do not share in the cover charge.

This has been confirmed many times with restaurant personnel and a number of Food & Beverage Managers. 

But they do participate in the tipping pool that is added to from the daily gratuity on your on board account each day.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Doug R. said:

How is this relevant to the current subject?

It’s relevant because as an Australian who always leaves auto tips in place I don’t feel at all compelled to start handing over dollar bills every 5 minutes.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, kenexx said:

It’s relevant because as an Australian who always leaves auto tips in place I don’t feel at all compelled to start handing over dollar bills every 5 minutes.  

I totally agree.  As a New Zealander, I find tipping very strange.  I will leave the tip added to my cruise but doubt I'll be tipping for anything else.  We did leave substantial tips for our room stewards on our two previous European cruises (as well as the auto tip) but I don't think we will on our next cruise.

• Like 1

Some posters on here leave tips that boogle the mind.  Just from what they post they must be leaving over half the cost of the cruise in various tips to the staff.  Sorry but all that does is make the xpectation from orher cruisers greater.  Some even try to bribe the crew by paying money for service not yet rendered.  Crazy.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Some posters on here leave tips that boogle the mind.  Just from what they post they must be leaving over half the cost of the cruise in various tips to the staff.  Sorry but all that does is make the xpectation from orher cruisers greater.  Some even try to bribe the crew by paying money for service not yet rendered.  Crazy.

Agreed indeed.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Thrak said:

Whenever "tipping" comes up it's embarrassing to be from the US. Tipping is totally out of hand here. This is from someone who, in my youth, worked in restaurants. As for bars... I know someone who used to work as a bar waitress and my daughter knows several who work as bar waitresses. They make crazy money from tips. Yes, I understand that the basic wage for waitresses is low but the tips often bring their pay up well beyond what the "average" person makes where I live. As I do live in the US I do tip when I go out but not extravagantly.

The "problem" with gratuities in the US is that American businesses do not pay waitstaff living wages.  In most non-US countries waitstaff can be a career and people are paid accordingly.

Depending on our engagement with the waitstaff in a specialty restaurant we will leave a cash gratuity of $20, maybe more.  These generally young people from less advantaged countries work hard for their money and should be compensated accordingly.  Its not easy for junior staff (non-officer) on a cruise ship.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Potstech said:

I thought you didn’t worry about what others do? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I do not leave a third tip. I tip once in the daily auto gratuity, second in the up charge for the specialty restaurant and you want to tip a third time? All wait staff are included in the daily gratuity. 

I agree with your logic, but where is the second tip in the up charge? Clearly an extra cost but not sure there is a Gratuity included. I suppose this is the essence of the question, since wait staff take part in daily gratuity.

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I thought you didn’t worry about what others do? 

I don't but like you I am permitted, by someone somewhere, to comment and offer an opinion just like you. Or are the rules changing with the new site design.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Kansas Gal said:

Does the wait staff in the specialty restaurants only work there or do they rotate through the MDRs?

On the Star Princess last year the waitress in Sabatini also worked the main dining room but on the Ruby Princess a few years back in the Crown Grill it was always the same staff. It probably depends on which ship you are sailing.

As for the question if the upcharge includes a gratuity; according to the Food & Beverage manager on the *******Princess (left the name of ship out on purpose as not to get the person in trouble) the upcharge includes a tip/gratuity for the servers although would not disclose the amount but said it was very reasonable. Apparently the wait staff have to EARN the privilege working in the specialty restaurants. 

On the many occasions we ate there we left extra $$ if the service was super and sometimes not because the service was just so so.

Theo

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

I agree with your logic, but where is the second tip in the up charge? Clearly an extra cost but not sure there is a Gratuity included. I suppose this is the essence of the question, since wait staff take part in daily gratuity.

Included in the $29 charge for the specialty restaurants is a gratuity but what amount they won't disclose. 

3 hours ago, Kansas Gal said:

Does the wait staff in the specialty restaurants only work there or do they rotate through the MDRs?

According to a favorite bartender at Crooner's whose husband was a waiter at Crown Grill, he was given special training to do so and ONLY worked there.  

Edited by OCruisers

3 hours ago, Kansas Gal said:

You'll see them on duty in the MDRs, Horizon Court, or other dining venues...

3 hours ago, c-boy said:

"Some even try to bribe the crew by paying money for service not yet rendered."

Bwaaa ha  ha ! why yes I do .... 😤   must be a cultural think 

As good of an excuse as any.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OCruisers said:

According to a favorite bartender at Crooner's whose husband was a waiter at Crown Grill, he was given special training to do so and ONLY worked there.  

He may have only worked there in the evening, but earlier in the day he probably worked in the buffet or a dining room at breakfast or lunch. Waitstaff work more hours than the limited number of hours the Crown Grill is open.

• Like 3

I don't eat in specialty restaurants. If I did, I would tip $0.00 - I've already paid for a meal in: the MDR... or buffet... or room service; and Princess didn't ask me if they could automatically wack $13.50/day on my folio for gratuities. The waiters in specialty restaurants are part of the 'tip pool'.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, simonpjd said:

This thread makes me wonder what Americans would do sailing with P&O. There is no daily gratuity charge. There is no service charge added to every drink. And this is very very popular with us Brits.

I can tell you exactly what I would do: I would rejoice. I love it when "the cost" is actually the cost.

• Like 2