RCCL ends association with Dreamworks

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Daughter was deciding between a Disney cruise and RCCL for her family .   Because she is RCCL  Diamond, and there were characters on RCCL, they decided on RCCL for their upcoming cruise.    I suspect their   next cruise and all others for a while will be on Disney. 

I understand it is likely a revenue ( or a non revenue association,) but the characters are a family draw.

When the program began,  was afraid the characters would be everywhere but RCCL  had a nice balance  of character interaction.

M

Just a story.  I haven't sailed with Disney myself, but have two close friends/families that have sailed Disney multiple times.  One of the two families had ONLY sailed Disney (many times) because well, it's the "Top Family Cruise line".  The other family had sailed as a couple on multiple cruise lines before kids, and joined family number 1 a few times on Disney cruises once they had children.

Once family number 1 finally tried other cruise lines, RCI and NCL, they never looked back.  Disney puts out a great product, but it's not the "end all, be all" of cruise lines.

Both families hate the pools on Disney.  They said it's pretty much crazy town.  Too  many kids, not enough parenting.  Plus, there are simply kids, kids everywhere (go figure) and it's just not as relaxing and enjoyable as RCI and NCL.  By the way, the kids agree.  The kids love the kids clubs on RCI and NCL, and all the other fun activities.  Both families now say, if you want Disney go to Disney World.  If you want to cruise, look at other options and don't simply default to DCL because it's the "Top Family Cruise Line"  Don't get me wrong, DCL puts out a great product, but it shouldn't be considered the default cruise line if you are bringing kids.

Dreamworks didn't play into it at all.

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher

11 hours ago, Lmm79 said:

We are disappointed as well. The parades on the non dreamwork ships just don’t have the same allure for the kids as the characters- even characters they are not super familiar with.  

I agree.  While I don't do the photo ops.  I do like the parades.  When we did the Harmony earlier this year, I was not that impressed with the non-dreamwork parade they presented.

11 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Effective April 2019 RCCL will end its association with Dreamworks on all 9 ships that is currently offered.

Royal Caribbean is always looking to the future and exploring new ways to exceed our guests' expectations. We've been conducting extensive research to better understand and anticipate what matters most to the families of today — and tomorrow. And in 2019, we're looking forward to delivering brand new experiences for families, kids and teens.

What began with new family features like glow-in-the-dark laser tag and the Sky Pad VR bungee trampoline experience on Mariner of the Seas and Independence of the Seas will continue to evolve as Navigator of the Seas is amplified in March 2019. And we're taking our family flagships to a whole new level when Oasis of the Seas gets amplified later in the year.

As we shift focus toward these new possibilities, the 9 ships that offer DreamWorks moments will no longer feature the program as of April 2019 sailings. We'll continue to offer countless ways for families to make unforgettable memories onboard. Including our complimentary, award-winning Adventure Ocean youth program with expansive facilities designed for each age group, plus teen programming in their own dedicated spaces. Family-friendly thrills, like record-breaking water slides, FlowRider surf simulators, Splashaway Bay aqua parks, Royal Escape Rooms and more. Parades and shows across stage, ice, water and air. Plus the ultimate family vacation destination, Perfect Day at CocoCay, debuting May 2019.

Catshing!:classic_rolleyes:

Kids pretty quickly grow out of character Meet and Greet's, and the other types of DreamWorks activities that RCCL had on board.  I suspect that the return on investment with DreamWorks just didn't pan out. 

Personally I believe the focus on the new and existing kids activities is much more sustainable through a kids early and teenage years, and even as they transition to adults.   (especially with the new AMPED ships with the Laser Tag, VR trampolines, water slides, escape rooms, in addition to all the other awesome things RCCL already had like the flow rider, rock climbing, ice rinks, etc...)

Dan

Dreamworks on the last cruise was the whole reason we took along the boy for whom we do respite care. He has Downe's Syndrome, and absolutely loves the movie characters.

Per one comment, I never found the characters to be intrusive, other than perhaps the crowds around them for picture taking, but the crew always kept that very organized.

DS won't be old enough for all the new "family activities" for a while, but a character breakfast and photo ops would be great.

Ya, I know, we should do DCL if we want that stuff, but I'm boycotting anything directly Disney.

• Like 1

This makes me sad because I booked my July 2019 cruise in part because of the Dreamworks experience.... and my kids are 14 and 11!  My 11 year old has a Gloria from when she was 2 and was looking forward to seeing the characters. Even if just on Labadee as statues.

The older daughter did not care for teen club at all when in Alaska at age 12. She’s not helping her younger sister to look forward to it either. 😒 no Dreamworks and I think they will revolt! I’m the one who wanted our longer cruise and am seriously re thinking the whole thing. It’s that pesky non refundable deposit minus $100 pp that has kept me from canceling this morning. 

As an adult I enjoyed the parade and meet and greets on Oasis this past October. I did get pictures and sent it to my kids.

My message here might sound dumb to others who could care less, but I just see this as one more negative. Just wanted a vacation that everyone in the family would enjoy.

6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I seem to remember people around here being upset when RCI announced their affiliation with DreamWorks. There were comments about RCI becoming like Disney as well as how annoying and intrusive the characters would be. Now people are upset that they are leaving.

Those poor exec's at RCI just can't win sometimes no matter what they do. Occasionally I actually feel a twinge of empathy for them

Couldn't agree more. I remember the complaints but we sailed with them several times and they as well as the kids they drew were never bothersome. That said, my grand kids will be disappointed. Only one has experienced it and he loved it. Apparently the other two are out of luck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gatour said:

I agree.  While I don't do the photo ops.  I do like the parades.  When we did the Harmony earlier this year, I was not that impressed with the non-dreamwork parade they presented.

What comprised the non-D parade?  Would kids under 10 enjoy it.

20 minutes ago, dswallow said:

You should first tell your kids you're canceling the cruise. When that disappointment registers, you can then tell them you won't cancel it after all but that the Dreamworks characters aren't going to be there.

You don’t know my kids....they would ask “can we go to Universal then”? That’s what they REALLY want to do!  LOL! This cruise is all my desire and idea.....

Edited by Max and Ruby

18 minutes ago, nelblu said:

What comprised the non-D parade?  Would kids under 10 enjoy it.

I can't really say in regards to "would kids under 10 enjoy it.

The parade consisted of going through some of the majar/minor holidays.  Easter, St Patrick, July 4th, etc.  Each holiday was "presented" by members of a particular ship board department.  There is a sign to that affect.  Obviously, the Dreamwork's parades were also staffed by volunteers (perhaps with a little extra pay as an incentive).  However there wasn't as much "action".

I will ask my wife if she thinks if a under 10 year old would enjoy it.  She hangs out with her nieces and nephews who mostly fit that demographic.

6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I seem to remember people around here being upset when RCI announced their affiliation with DreamWorks. There were comments about RCI becoming like Disney as well as how annoying and intrusive the characters would be. Now people are upset that they are leaving.

Those poor exec's at RCI just can't win sometimes no matter what they do. Occasionally I actually feel a twinge of empathy for them

9 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I like their new approach better. (More/new fun kid’s activities)

All of those DreamWorks characters are very dated by now anyway. Not sure what is coming up in the future with Dreamworks that would replace them anyway. 

Dan

Is Mickey Mouse dated?

We are a bit bummed. Our cruise is 4/9 so we will miss it by a few days. My youngest loves Trolls and the Madagascar movies. Thankfully I only mentioned the characters to her once in passing a bit back so she wont be too disappointed. I will be disappointed for her though. I probably would cancel if had been something my kids had really been looking forward to, but we have a refundable deposit and the cruise is just a week in the middle of a bigger vacation and not the highlight. 

On 12/7/2018 at 10:03 AM, A&L_Ont said:

..... the penguins will take control of the Bridge. 

3 hours ago, BSocial said:

LOL   I can picture it - “Madagascar Of The Seas”

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

You got it. 😀

I think I'll miss the Penguins.  We have several formal pics with them.  

Edited by John&LaLa