Flight canceled and cruise missed

Roses253

Are there options I’m missing? Our flight was canceled due to a crew shortage and they didn’t have any flights soon enough to still make our cruise.  The cruise line said we’d get $350 back from fees and taxes and we will show up as no shows. I paid $1500 plus excursions but didn’t get travel insurance or book our flight through the cruise line. They won’t allow you to cancel and apply what you paid to a different cruise?

roses

3 minutes ago, Roses253 said:

Are there options I’m missing? Our flight was canceled due to a crew shortage and they didn’t have any flights soon enough to still make our cruise.  The cruise line said we’d get $350 back from fees and taxes and we will show up as no shows. I paid $1500 plus excursions but didn’t get travel insurance or book our flight through the cruise line. They won’t allow you to cancel and apply what you paid to a different cruise?

roses

So sorry, that sucks!  I don’t believe the cruise will compensate you 😞

This is why, starting with our 2nd cruise, we fly in at least a day early...  in-laws ignored our advice, and missed the ship due to weather.  They had insurance, so most of their expenses related to catching up to the ship were paid, but they missed 2 or 3 days of the cruise 😞

Edited by vacationlover_mn

5 minutes ago, Roses253 said:

roses

Without insurance, unfortunately you are basically out the money.

32 minutes ago, Roses253 said:

roses

See reply #3 and reply #5 to your own post that you created almost one month ago on November 25th..

Located here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2609774-place-to-catch-up-on-sleep-at-fll-airport-or-miami-cruise-terminally/?tab=comments#comment-56240643

🤐

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roses253 said:

roses

Ouch! :classic_sad:  Stories like yours are why we

1. Always fly in at least one day early, and
  2. Always buy trip insurance

the cruise line cannot refund you money or give you credit without it costing them $$ - they cannot resell your empty cabin at the last minute.

You've learned an expensive lesson - sorry.  Hopefully other cruiser will learn from your experience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roses253 said:

roses

Where are you flying out of?  Weren't you flying into FLL and sailing out of Miami?  Lots of airlines go to Miami.

Get on a flight heading there that arrives before 2PM.

Sorry this happened but it’s not the cruise line’s responsibility to get you to the ship on time; that’s entirely your job.  This is a classic example of why experienced cruisers recommend flying in the day before the cruise.  Also, travel insurance would have covered this plus much more It’s not a good idea to travel without insurance for several reasons, including missing the ship, and probably more importantly medical coverage.  

• Like 1

Yes, always buy travel insurance & fly in a day early if possible...but it is really too late to give you that advice. (PARTICULARLY important in winter when weather is a factor, and at Xmas when limited open seats is a factor....)

Call your airline & tell them your situation. Tell them that you need to get to either FLL or MIA for a cruise (tomorrow I assume) anytime today or tomorrow morning, but that you HAVE to be there several hours before the ship is set to leave (not sure what time yours departs). Odds are this will NOT go well due to the weather all over the east coast as well as holiday travel BUT IT IS WORTH A TRY. Honestly, you could fly into a number of FL airports & drive to the port if you get in early enough.

Sorry this is happening to you. We have had to fly in day of a few times & I ALWAYS buy insurance for that reason. 

Hope it works out.

14 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Sorry this happened but it’s not the cruise line’s responsibility to get you to the ship on time; that’s entirely your job.  This is a classic example of why experienced cruisers recommend flying in the day before the cruise.  Also, travel insurance would have covered this plus much more It’s not a good idea to travel without insurance for several reasons, including missing the ship, and probably more importantly medical coverage.  

Just wanted to add one more reason for insurance.  It is especially important when traveling with children.  They are most susceptible to illness and injuries.  Like someone else responded, check your credit card benefits.  We have the Chase Sapphire Private Client VISA, and it covers trip cancelations, interruptions, and delays, among other situations.  Doesn’t hurt to check.

You can charter a private aircraft but be prepared to pay 5x the commercial airlines first class fare.  The benefit is the aircraft departs as soon as you show up.  (And you will have quite a good story to tell.)