Fort Lauderdale Hotels

ShonaTay56

Living on the West Coast we always have to book a hotel and usually arrive late due to travel time and time zones.   Normally looking for a nice clean hotel but not necessarily the top end.

Last 3 cruises we have stayed at Embassy Suites on 17ths Street.    Nice rooms with microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker.   They also have free cocktail hour with snacks each evening and a free breakfast.  Prices for our next trip in April is $216 plus Tax $26.04

The hotel is located in a nice area with 2-3 shopping centers a block away.  They have everything from Grocery Stores with Wine for those that want to grab a couple bottles, Restaurants and bars within easy walking distance.

You are close enough to see the ships in port when you awaken.

1 minute ago, CruisersTimesThree said:

We are leaving next Sunday on the Silhouette and booked Friday/Saturday nights at Hyatt Place.  Being we won’t have a car it sounds like it is very conveniently located to things we will need within walking distance. 

Walking out front of the Hyatt is Mezzaluna, very nice bar and happy hour [Friday night] frequented by locals - DH loves the oysters at the bar, while I usually go for the shrimp egg roll with mango sauce. Very good dining menu too.  Across 17th St are numerous restaurants  ranging from bar menu, fast food  more traditional seafood items. If you are up for about a 10-15 minute walk on Saturday, head toward the bridge and the Hilton  Marina where you can pick up the water taxi...hop on hop off along the route.  On the way back, you can stop at Harbor Shops for Publix market and a large wine and liquor store. Hope you have signed up for a Hyatt membership - point, click, fill in name, etc., get a member number so you will receive bottled water daily and free breakfast at the hotel.   

Darcy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WatchHill said:

I travel to England at least 3 times each year, spending the first few nights in London and always book one of the boutique hotels [Park Grand] near Paddington. We have stayed at multiple Jury's [not impressed], a manor house or two, a pseudo castle,  and one of the local Hallmark hotels in Bournemouth. We have stayed in numerous small hotels throughout the UK, trying to avoid the larger chains to better appreciate our experience. In Southampton, we like the Novotel. I select US chain hotels when in the US; as a familiar/loyal member, we do receive perks and we know what we will be getting for a room. It appears we each do a similar thing when we travel beyond our own country.

Darcy

We actually do the same in the UK, we rarely pick one of the big chains although to be fair over here there are some wonderful small, independent hotels to chose from. We have stated in a Hilton in London which to be fair was very good, just none of those personal touches you get in a family run boutique establishment.

4 minutes ago, WatchHill said:

Walking out front of the Hyatt is Mezzaluna, very nice bar and happy hour [Friday night] frequented by locals - DH loves the oysters at the bar, while I usually go for the shrimp egg roll with mango sauce. Very good dining menu too.  Across 17th St are numerous restaurants  ranging from bar menu, fast food  more traditional seafood items. If you are up for about a 10-15 minute walk on Saturday, head toward the bridge and the Hilton  Marina where you can pick up the water taxi...hop on hop off along the route.  On the way back, you can stop at Harbor Shops for Publix market and a large wine and liquor store. Hope you have signed up for a Hyatt membership - point, click, fill in name, etc., get a member number so you will receive bottled water daily and free breakfast at the hotel.   

Darcy

Thanks Darcy! Appreciate the info!

9 hours ago, yorky said:

Hi Alan

we are on the ship right after you, we fly Glasgow to Heathrow then on to Miami staying here first night as we are also in fairly late and it’s close to the airport 

https://www.ebhotels.com/miami?&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhanXgPKi4AIVBZ3tCh2srAamEAAYASAAEgLl5PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Four stars and very good reviews, they have an airport shuttle. We stay a night after this at the Manderin oriental in Miami.

after the cruise we have two night in Fort Lauderdale at this hotel.

https://pillarshotel.com/

We will use an Uber between Miami and Fort Lauderdale, if this is new to  you just download the ap and you book and pay online.

Have you stayed at The Pillars before?   Their new website really makes the place look flashy.   I just looked it up on Tripadvisor since we have considered staying there before, and have seen it from the intercoastal waterway by water taxi. Some of the older reviews and photos were not very complimentary of the condition.  Wondering if the place has been recently renovated???  I'd be interested in hearing what you think of it. 😉

4 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

We traveled to Ft. Lauderdale in January for a cruise on the Reflection.  We booked a night both pre and post cruise, coming from Canada in January you can't count on flights getting you there in time same day!  I got a good deal booking online with the Best Western Oceanside Inn which is very close to the beach and a good stroll from many restaurants with great views of the beach further north.  The hotel reception was super friendly and accommodating and our room was clean with plenty of towels and very quiet.  I rarely sleep in hotels or on cruises without my earplugs but didn't need them either night we stayed there...super quiet.  Our rate included free breakfast which had plenty to offer...I didn't like that they use paper plates and plastic cutlery but other than that it was good.  They had a nice heated outdoor pool with plenty of loungers as well as tables and chairs for enjoying breakfast or later day drinks and/or meals in the fresh air!

For dinner both nights we walked north from the hotel and enjoyed outdoor patio seating facing the ocean and then walked back to the hotel along good well-lit sidewalks.  We used ubers from the airport to the hotel and back and forth from the pier.  We would def stay here again as we loved the proximity to the beach.  Walked along the beach the day we disembarked and watched the ship sail away without us...only sad moment of the trip lol.

We stayed there a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. It is an older hotel, but comfortable with friendly staff. We walked to the public beach in about 5 minutes. It is next door to B Ocean, which looks like a lovely hotel (and has a private beach) - we had a wonderful outside lunch in the Naked Crab (part of the B Ocean). WE also walked to the B Ocean at night and saw the famous Mermaid Show at the Wreck Bar (has been going on since the 50's and featured in a couple of movies) - that was a fun night!

My DH talked with the restaurant manager at the Best Western Plus Oceanside and the reason they use paper plates and plastic silverware is because she can't find a dishwasher. She would love to go back to real dishes. The breakfast choices weren't bad considering that it was included. The bar there is fun - they actually have good pub food (fish and chips, etc.) and it gets to be interesting as other cruisers stop by and everyone talks about their cruises (some going the next day and others just off).

8 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Have you stayed at The Pillars before?   Their new website really makes the place look flashy.   I just looked it up on Tripadvisor since we have considered staying there before, and have seen it from the intercoastal waterway by water taxi. Some of the older reviews and photos were not very complimentary of the condition.  Wondering if the place has been recently renovated???  I'd be interested in hearing what you think of it. 😉

No it will be the first time, We have booked it purely based on feedback online from multiple sites, it’s highly rated on hotels.com, booking.com, trip advisor, expedia, and google reviews. I can’t actually find anything really negative about it on any site so I would be surprised if we find it in poor condition. We always leave reviews after we stay at a hotel and will do the same after this stay.

Edited by yorky

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

Good to hear! We are staying there in a few weeks prior to our Flower Power Cruise. We have never stayed there, but there were rooms at a discount for the Flower Power Cruise. I ended up upgrading to a Executive Tower King w/balcony. Hopefully, it will have a decent view.

When we took the Carrie B excursion in November (boat tour of waterways), we saw the Riverside across the road from the starting point of the tour. It looked pretty nice.  I'm not sure if something is going on in FLL that weekend, but all our usual places were either booked or high-priced. It will be fun to stay with others going on the cruise - lots of tie dye, peace and love. 🙂

It looks like it has some good restaurants and bars in the hotel and nearby. I booked the Wild Sea Oyster Bar and Grille at 6 PM on the terrace for the day we arrive. They have happy hour from 5-7, including half off drinks and chef's choice oysters so should be a good way to start our vacation. We will probably take the water taxi around one of the days, if the weather is nice. If anyone has any restaurant recommendations or things to see/do, I would love to hear about them.🙂

We dined in the hotel.  But they have other interesting restaurants we didn’t have an opportunity to try.  Ask the concierge and check with trip advisor 

• Thanks 1

We stay at Hilton Marina this February.  Okay hotel but expensive for what it was.  And at night the bar and restaurant near the pool on a Saturday was jammed and waited awhile for service and the food was below adequate.  It was good because it was  it was very close to the water taxi.  However, we walked over the bridge to Grille 66 on Friday and dinner was fabulous(we ate there before when we stayed at Pier 66 Hotel).  Maybe next time we will stay at one of the hotels on the beach for a change.  Every thing is close(not walking distance, of course) but just nice to be where it is warm and beautiful. 

I do not think if you choose a hotel and venture out to find what you wish for or need you will be happy.

• Like 1

If you're flying in to MIA and sailing from F.L., staying in Miami is also an option.
We are. The Sheraton Miami Airport is, well, right next to the airport, at the end of the free rail shuttle. Dump you bags right away.

2 nights there then up to F. L. the morning of embarkation.

• Like 1

Since I arrive four days prior the Transatlantic on board Silhouette i choose a hotel at the beach- the Grand Pelcian- looks nice and I can enjoy the beach before the crossing! Never been there so can´t tell anything about it as of yet. I know the W- Hotel- very nice- but very pricy!

• Like 1

My Wife and I have stayed at the Embassy Suites on 17th Street many times, probably a dozen or more over the years.  We have been taking Caribbean cruises each spring for probably the last 15 years.  The Embassy Suites is conveniently located (Publix and Wine Store right out the back door), and a short cab ride to the cruise terminal.  It is an easy walk (maybe a little long) down to the inter-coastal at the end of 17th street, where we usually spend a day on the water taxi, just taking it around and getting on and off throughout the day.  An excellent choice for a hotel, and, yes, good free breakfast and free evening happy hour.    

If you are staying more than a few days pre-cruise, like three, four or five to extend your vacation, I recommend Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville Resort in Hollywood, Florida.  Remember, the airport most fly into is the Fort Lauderdale/ Hollywood Airport, and Hollywood Beach is the next town over from Fort Lauderdale.  This Jimmy Buffet themed hotel opened in late 2015.  We have stayed at Margaritaville pre-cruise for each of the last three years, and will stay there again before our April Edge cruise coming up.    

The other hotels discussed here (including the Embassy Suites) are fine places to stay, but they are just hotels, yes with a pool, and close to restaurants, but just "a place to stay before the cruise."  Margaritaville is a resort, a destination in itself.  It has three beautiful pools, and is right on the ocean.  No streets to cross, you walk out of the hotel to the pools and keep walking to the beach and ocean.  It is a terrific hotel, but more of a resort.  So, if you want to add more vacation time, you won't regret staying here pre-cruise.  It also is an easy cab ride to the cruise terminal.  Just google Margaritaville Hollywood Beach Resort, and read the reviews.  It is terrific. Did I mention that it also has four music venues playing each day, and a three mile "broadwalk" (cement not wood) up and down the beach?   

We will still stay at the Embassy Suites if only a day or two pre-cruise.  But we like extending our vacation at Margaritaville before we cruise.  It is an active resort.  Good food, music, entertainment, relaxation by the pools, or just sitting on a beach chair on the sand.  My wife and I are age 72, but we still love the upbeat atmosphere of this resort.   

Another vote for the Embassy Suites on 17 th...

As regular cruisers from Fort Lauderdale we have tried other hotels over the years but always return here. It just ticks so many boxes of what you want/need for a precruise stay.

Good location (restaurants, shops and boat trip)

Free decent breakfast

Free cocktails in the evening 

Easy commute from the airport and to the port

Spacious two room suite

Fridge,  microwave and coffee maker

Reasonable pool and surrounding area

Self laundry facilities which we have never found busy (nice to board with all clothes clean).

We book a high room port facing and set an alarm for early morning to watch our ship come into port! These rooms also come with a ‘goody bag’.

The only ‘negative’ I would comment on is that the decor is a little dated...However, in our experience, we prefer dated but spacious and comfortable rather than chic but impractical!

Whatever hotel you choose  hope you have a great stay and a fantastic cruise.

On 2/24/2019 at 8:43 AM, dazey said:

WE stayed at the Hilton Marina Hotel which is on the waterway(handy for the water taxi).  It was busy and nice but very expensive($400+ a night plus taxes).  I think next time for a change we will stay on the beach somewhere and then just have a longer taxi ride to the port.

We've stayed at the Hilton Marina 3 times pre-cruise in March and November and never paid over $350 Canadian, which is about $300 US usually, taxes in.  Our rooms have always been on an upper floor, not a suite but somewhat top category.    Not sure when you book, but keep checking the price if you like the hotel.  Our room this year has come down in price twice.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, muffin1327 said:

Emlbassy Suites has a Resort Fee so really nothing is free ie breakfast and evening drinks not sure about the Hyatt Place.

No resort fee at Embassy Suites the last 3 times I stayed there and my upcoming reservation has no mention of a resort fee.

Thanks to all that have commented. It has given me a lot of information which I will go through and look at each hotel mentioned. At the moment I am still drawn to the Embassy Suites as it appears to be in a good location for shops and restaurants and in particular I like the look of Kellys Landing. Could do some serious damage to the menu in there.

Thanks all again.

Alan

On 2/24/2019 at 1:54 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Living on the West Coast we always have to book a hotel and usually arrive late due to travel time and time zones.   Normally looking for a nice clean hotel but not necessarily the top end.

Last 3 cruises we have stayed at Embassy Suites on 17ths Street.    Nice rooms with microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker.   They also have free cocktail hour with snacks each evening and a free breakfast.  Prices for our next trip in April is $216 plus Tax $26.04

The hotel is located in a nice area with 2-3 shopping centers a block away.  They have everything from Grocery Stores with Wine for those that want to grab a couple bottles, Restaurants and bars within easy walking distance.

You are close enough to see the ships in port when you awaken.

Jim, what type of room do you need book in order to see the port?  Or do you just request the port view and hope you get it?

Thanks

On 2/24/2019 at 10:13 AM, ShonaTay56 said:

Hi Yorky,

We would be looking for a 4 or 5 star hotel and we were looking at the Marina area but are open to suggestions. Price is not really an issue but obviously we don't want to spend £500.00  ($700.00) per night on just a bed. Would rather save the money for the cruise.

First night in the hotel would be a bit of a waste anyway as we fly from Aberdeen to Heathrow and then direct flight to Miami getting in at 18.15 which I believe will be about 23.15 british time.

Thanks

Alan

You also need to bear in mind the long queues at Miami immigration which will add between at least 90 minutes to two hours, then around 45 minutes to get to Fort Lauderdale depending on traffic. We usually find that by the time we get to our hotel , a shower and a quick meal is all we can manage before needing some sleep !  We always use Larrys Limos as they do meet and greet at the airport and there is nothing nicer than having your transport right there when you finally get out. It is easy to book on their website or just by emailing them. We have stayed in several hotels in the beach area but nowadays we just go for the Crowne Plaza at the cruiseport. Rooms are clean, pretty ordinary food and decent buffet breakfast and you can easily book on several UK based websites. Taxi to the port is around $15 and cheaper than the hotel shuttle. We just don't see the point in spending a lot of money on a hotel for that short a time. 

We’re flying in to FLL the night before our cruise from Miami. We arrive after midnight. We booked the FLL airport Hilton Garden Inn and taking an Uber in the morning to the Miami port

i think it will be fine. It’s about $200 on a Friday night including breakfast. We’ll only be in the room for about 9 hours. 

More for convenience than anything else for us. 

How about staying in one of the upmarket hotels in Miami airport? They're very reasonably priced and it's hassle free getting off the flight.

Uber up to FL the next morning. Stay in the Las Olas area post cruise, Riverside hotel is nice

COMFORT SUITES FORT LAUDERDALE AIRPORT & CRUISE PORT

Last year we tried Comfort suites (see link). The hotel had only been open a few months. It is near the airport and they have a free shuttle from the airport and a paid shuttle to the port... which is very close. Next door to the hotel there was a nice sea food restaurant that over looked a marina. Also the price was reasonable (at the time) compared to others... probably because it was new. I would stay there again.

In Jan  we stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn in  Dania  an ok  drive to the port...Not perfect but worked with oyr travel from W coast of Fla.  It was near a large shopping center  and  also had a good restaurant on site..That was a good thing since there was heavy rain on our  pre cruise night..Did not inclclude breakfast ...We used Hilton  points so it worked out fine.( could  not get res at a decebt price at Embassy Suites...17th St, preferred location)

Next up in Nov, we,ll stay at a Hilton  Hampton Inn, SW 12th Ave.. ( Off FL rt 84) Never  been there before but was a good price and includes breakfast..hopefully a place nearby for dinner.

Best advice is to book early..you can always change if you find a  a better option.

9 hours ago, hcat said:

In Jan  we stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn in  Dania  an ok  drive to the port...Not perfect but worked with oyr travel from W coast of Fla.  It was near a large shopping center  and  also had a good restaurant on site..That was a good thing since there was heavy rain on our  pre cruise night..Did not inclclude breakfast ...We used Hilton  points so it worked out fine.( could  not get res at a decebt price at Embassy Suites...17th St, preferred location)

Next up in Nov, we,ll stay at a Hilton  Hampton Inn, SW 12th Ave.. ( Off FL rt 84) Never  been there before but was a good price and includes breakfast..hopefully a place nearby for dinner.

Best advice is to book early..you can always change if you find a  a better option.

we stayed at the Hyatt palace last year next to the hilton garden.  We walked around the Hilton garden but I recall smoking was allowed at the hotel lobby was full of smelly smoke.  Perhaps no longer