Viking Sky position, adrift off Norway Coast and evacuating Passengers & Crew

CCWineLover

Kudos to the captain and crew of the Viking Sky for their quick and accurate response. As a former passenger on the Viking Sky and a USCG petty officer on an icebreaker, I have traveled in a "football shaped" 310' vessel through the Gulf of Alaska in a March gale and around the horn from the Antarctic in rough seas. Ships can handle these seas but if the engines go, the ship can lose steerage, fall off and hit seas broadside.Yikes! Dropping the anchor to prevent the ship from drifting onto the rocks was the best alternative and to immediately begin helicopter evacuations was I think correct considering the ship might hit the shore if the anchor should slip(which I read it did at first). I am sure at the same time they were struggling to get the engines going again. Thankfully they did get three going and were able to head out under enough power. It also looks like from the videos that the crew was present and actively supporting everyone. I certainly hope all those injured will recover and all passengers heal from the experience. Anyway, we need to be always reminded that whenever we travel by whatever means it is always an "adventure" as this cruise certainly was.

I am sure we will all wait to hear the verdict on the engines. I still wonder having looked at videos of the interior of many cruise ships during a storm (not just these latest videos of the Explorers lounge) why things like big heavy planters and ceiling panels aren't bolted and secured well enough for heavy rolls.

I still remain a Viking "groupie" and my wife and I look forward to traveling on Jupiter around the horn this January, 2020. Can't wait.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

We took a Hurtigruten Coastal RT (from Bergen, up over the North Cape, to Kirkenes, with an excursion to the Russian Border, and back to Bergen) one year and one week ago (early/mid March, 2018).

Yes, to see the Northern Lights (success!).

But the landscape was GORGEOUS.  Breathtaking.

Now, the Hurtigruten ships go from little town to little town, so it's very picturesque almost 24/7.

But THIS SAME AREA OF THE SEA :classic_ohmy:

That evening, the Captain told us we'd have rough seas for several hours.  "Understatement!"

We were in an aft suite, Deck 8 (top inside deck aft), so we "felt" the water.  

Sure enough, relatively suddenly, furniture started shifting, and we could no longer walk.  Then we couldn't stand. So we sort of crawled to the bedroom, and got in bed to be safe.  Because we had not yet read about the Viking Sky (being a year earlier!), we were "enjoying the ride" and were *not* frightened (and I'm a scaredy-cat usually).  This also confirmed our belief that we don't get seasick, although it also assuaged my fears about being "terrified".  No more.  Not after realizing what COULD have happened.

Now... we were NOT in the midst of such a dreadful weather situation, to be sure.  I cannot imagine it being so much worse!

I also suspect (only my suspicions) that the Hurtigruten Captains, who do this same route day in and day out, 365 days per year, so they *know* the seas, the reefs, etc...  And perhaps they do not venture out when there are bomb cyclones approaching. 

BUT... that may not be fair, as we don't know precisely what the Viking Sky Captain knew, vs. what actually developed, weather- and sea-wise.

We were on an Astronomy Package, so there wouldn't have been much point in going.during the Midnight Sun :classic_wink:

We really, *really* wanted to return and do this particular cruise again (and also head up to Svalbard).

Now?  Well... it was a freak, but still all too real for those on board and their families!

We'll see.  (We get on planes even though some go down.  But would we have gotten on a 737 Max?  NOT after the second crash.  Are Viking Ocean ships having too many engine failures - which make the ships uncontrollable in tough seas...?  We are not the experts, but we do get to make our own decisions about *our* travel!)

GC

This is a pic of the waves (8 days of it) on Ponant. The waves were largest going to S. Georgia and we still had to do the Drake after Antarctica.

We were lucky on our Viking cruise doing the British Isles and ending in Bergen this past Sept. Calm seas. Having done Norway in prior years, the seas can be terrible. Happy we have "Been there done That". 

I still think I have PTSD after the Antarctica cruise LOL!

This incident has truly provided all with an eye opener. Best of luck to all who arrive safely and a happy journey home.

Waves.jpeg

I can’t help but wonder what criteria they’re using to determine the order of evacuation.  I see some people in those pictures that look like they should’ve gone earlier, but of course I don’t know who has already gone. 

4 minutes ago, PEverdell said:

Kudos to the captain and crew of the Viking Sky for their quick and accurate response. As a former passenger on the Viking Sky and a USCG petty officer on an icebreaker, I have traveled in a "football shaped" 310' vessel through the Gulf of Alaska in a March gale and around the horn from the Antarctic in rough seas. Ships can handle these seas but if the engines go, the ship can lose steerage, fall off and hit seas broadside.Yikes! Dropping the anchor to prevent the ship from drifting onto the rocks was the best alternative and to immediately begin helicopter evacuations was I think correct considering the ship might hit the shore if the anchor should slip(which I read it did at first). I am sure at the same time they were struggling to get the engines going again. Thankfully they did get three going and were able to head out under enough power. It also looks like from the videos that the crew was present and actively supporting everyone. I certainly hope all those injured will recover and all passengers heal from the experience. Anyway, we need to be always reminded that whenever we travel by whatever means it is always an "adventure" as this cruise certainly was.

I am sure we will all wait to hear the verdict on the engines. I still wonder having looked at videos of the interior of many cruise ships during a storm (not just these latest videos of the Explorers lounge) why things like big heavy planters and ceiling panels aren't bolted and secured well enough for heavy rolls.

I still remain a Viking "groupie" and my wife and I look forward to traveling on Jupiter around the horn this January, 2020. Can't wait.

I was startled to see, in photos of the ship, that the forward balconies had "clear" front half-walls.  We've been in several (other cruise lines) forward suites (and seen many more), and those have substantial metal at the very front, except perhaps on the very highest decks.

GC

DrTee, I read a news article which stated some criteria as to who was removed first:  the injured and frail were removed from the ship by helicopter first.  

Edited by SLSD

Two passengers evacuated from the ship were interviewed on TV and appear to be in good spirits now. No mention of injuries to them. They said that they were hoisted to the helicopter in a sling two at a time. They also said that it was scary and that some passengers refused to be evacuated by helicopter.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cruise it or lose it said:

Maybe there is comfort in being with others.

Maybe because everyone is on the upper floors (like 7) and the rooms lower are having lots of water damage from the waves hitting the balcony doors.  The picture of all the furniture sliding was on the 7th floor.

I was on the ship in January.  Others have posted that some of the lower rooms have water damage.

4 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Two passengers evacuated from the ship were interviewed on TV and appear to be in good spirits now. No mention of injuries to them. They said that they were hoisted to the helicopter in a sling two at a time. They also said that it was scary and that some passengers refused to be evacuated by helicopter.

I question many things about the entire day and so will many others post rescue but not the order of evacuation...we were not there and don't have a clue on the medical condition of those taken or reasons why some others were not.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, flamingos said:

To the person who is posting the ship's tracking - I would love to see the track of the 180 turn back to Molde.  How wide an arc would they have to take?

Interested to see that also. The turn was done with the assistance of various tug boats pushing her around which must have limited the arc compared to  an unassisted turn, but it was doubtless a very tricky manoeuvre.  I can see data on marinetraffic.com, but I'll check flightradar24 too as I was told yesterday that they have data on this also!

Marinetraffic's past path for Viking Sky has errors - not reliable. A ship like this can turn with rudder at slow speed in a pretty tight turn, maybe a few hundred yards in radius.  in rough seas that would be uncomfortable though.

39 minutes ago, PEverdell said:

I still wonder . . . why things like big heavy planters and ceiling panels aren't bolted and secured well enough for heavy rolls.

It surprised me, too. Perhaps the decorators want flexibility, so they put antislip mats under the planters, and no one checks what they do under wet-floor conditions. Ceiling tiles in buildings, at least, are alway loose to allow access to wiring and other systems. On a ship, it does seem shortsighted.

5 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

Update:

Sailing to Molde taking a little longer than first estimated.  Arrival in Molde is «delayed» until 16. 30 CET (90 min. from now).

Ah, that’s why all I’m seeing on the harbor cam are ferries.  

• Like 2

The tugs assistance would certainly help with a tighter turn but as with all things physics plays a big part. The Navel architects that design these vessels work to extremely strict parameters but as with all construction can this be checked at all levels. One of the best things to come out of an almost catastrophie is the amount of actual footage that can be viewed for future reference, I’m not saying for litigation but future design and hopefully safety. 

Thanks to all the marine rescuers risking themselves, the Viking people’s spirit lives on. CA

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

would you mind posting that link again...could be interesting to watch. thanks.

I wasn’t the original poster, their link didn’t work for me so I search YouTube for Molde Harbor Cam.  Here is what I’m watching:

57 minutes ago, portofinoitaly said:

This is a pic of the waves (8 days of it) on Ponant. The waves were largest going to S. Georgia and we still had to do the Drake after Antarctica.

We were lucky on our Viking cruise doing the British Isles and ending in Bergen this past Sept. Calm seas. Having done Norway in prior years, the seas can be terrible. Happy we have "Been there done That". 

I still think I have PTSD after the Antarctica cruise LOL!

This incident has truly provided all with an eye opener. Best of luck to all who arrive safely and a happy journey home.

Waves.jpeg

With regards to Antarctica,  another question arises.  Could Argentina or Chile pull off a rescue of a large passenger ship, given the remoteness of the area?  An expedition ship, might be within the resource capabilities, but what about the size ships that HAL and Celebrity sail to Antarctica.  We just sailed around the horn on a mass market and it did cross my mind that if we lost power in rough seas that rescue would be difficult. 

Norway rescue teams and emergency response teams should be given kudos for their very capable response.

• Like 2