Chef’s Table

1 hour ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Is it really worth the $99 pp that I see for my oasis cruise?

If you are flexible, wait to book until you're on board.  Often, but not always, you can negotiate hefty discounts if they need to fill spots.  I've been offered 50% off.

To the OP;  if you enjoy fine wines and food, it is a great experience.  Worth trying once and then let your experience and the cost dictate whether you return in future cruises.

Hi guys, will be goin on the Enchantment May 6th, been thinkin of doin the Chef's Table, right now don't want to put anything on the cc card, so am goin wait til I get on the ship first an see what happens. Think maybe the 3rd night would be good, or maybe the first night, since there's nothin happenin on the ship that night. Haven't done that before. Any suggestions?

Virginia

18 minutes ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hi guys, will be goin on the Enchantment May 6th, been thinkin of doin the Chef's Table, right now don't want to put anything on the cc card, so am goin wait til I get on the ship first an see what happens. Think maybe the 3rd night would be good, or maybe the first night, since there's nothin happenin on the ship that night. Haven't done that before. Any suggestions?

Virginia

You do not get your choice of nights. On the Anthem in September it was only offered on two nights. Some ships it is only on one night.

We participated in the chef’s table on Oasis last year and felt it was the best part of the cruise.  The company was good,  food was exceptional, and the wine was plentiful and tasty. We thought that even at $95 pp it was the best value of our events.

2 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Is it really worth the $99 pp that I see for my oasis cruise?

We have been on Oasis Class 4 times.  After boarding I go sit in the Trellis bar while my wife takes care of booking all our specialty dining nights.  Every time while sitting at Trellis bar someone comes around selling dining packages.  Every time they have offered Chef,s table for half price, also usually for the first night. Only Symphony was missing Chef's table.  Don't forget Johnny Rockets has no charge breakfast before 10:30 on Oasis Class..

• Like 1

We just did the Chef’s Table on Brilliance last week. We booked on board, and were offered 50% off. We’ve done it before on other ships, so we’re familiar with the set up and the menu. I would do it again if we sailed the Brilliance. The sommelier and the chef worked really well together, and the evening was very nice. There was a lot of discussion about the wines, why they were chosen for each course, and the chef explained each dish for all of the courses. We had excellent table mates, which made the dinner even more enjoyable.

I did the Chef's Table for the first time on my last cruise, which was a TA, and really enjoyed it.

True story ... I emailed them before the cruise after hearing that they sometimes offer group discounts. It was showing as $130CDN and I refused to pay that price. They emailed me back saying they wouldn't be offering group discounts. When I got on onboard, it was being offered for $79 USD if I'm not mistaken and some people from the roll call were offered the experience for 50% off, which was good. 

I'd say on the 7th day of the sailing, I was reading the daily compass and saw that they had priced the Chef's Table incorrectly - it said $25!!!

I had discussed it with two couples I had been spending some time with during my sailing and after a conversation with Guest Services and another manager, they honored that price but were told we had to do it on the last day of the sailing. It was an amazing way to end the cruise and we made sure to tip generously based on how much we paid.

In saying all that, as much as I enjoyed the experience, I don't know if I could pay the regular price for it after this experience. It pays to read the daily compass in detail!

Can’t say we got any discounted costs, but we did the Chefs Table for the first time last year on Jewel of the Seas and loved it!  Conversations were great—we had sailed RCCL in the past but learned so much from seasoned folks.  Food and wine made for an awesome night.  We are on Navigator of the Seas this summer and already have it booked.  Now that I see these posts, maybe I should have waited—but it is only a   4 night cruise and did not want to miss out!  Bottom line—if not booking specialty restaurants and you enjoy good food and wine and interesting people—along with great service—why not??🍷. Cheers!

I have mixed feelings about the chefs table. We have done it about 5 times over the years. It used to be really spectacular . They gave you a cookbook and a nice picture. The wines were high end , Caymus and such. Over the years, they have cut back. We just did it in November and it was good. Nice, not great, wines. Good food, very average presentation. It was still fun. We have always paid full price bc I have been on ships where it was sold out and was on a waiting list. I enjoy more than my husband. It depends on the group. We have had some very pretentious wine know it alls that have talked over everyone. 

Last cruise we had 2 honeymoon couples which was fun.so it really varies. 

I did it on the Adventure in February.  WE were able to negotiate a $55.00 price pp.  Was very disappointed when they started pouring wines from open bottles from previous nights.  They also limited us to one glass per person.  they would not allow us to ask for more.  Needless to say, will never do it again on the Adventure.  Will consider it on other ships.

1 hour ago, Colorado Babe said:

Needless to say, will never do it again on the Adventure.  Will consider it on other ships.

We did Adventure Chef’s Table in December. I agree. Of our experiences at Chef’s Table on RCI, this was the one we definitely won’t repeat. 🙂

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2019 at 11:33 AM, barbeyg said:

We did Adventure Chef’s Table in December. I agree. Of our experiences at Chef’s Table on RCI, this was the one we definitely won’t repeat. 🙂

Can I ask why?  Also, did you notice any discounts on Adventure?

We have done the Chef's Table on each of our 4 cruises and will continue to enjoy.  There has not been one of the events that was not fun.  People are interesting and the food was good.  My son does not drink wine but he takes a sip of each offered to see how it changes with the offered food.  It has always been a fun night for us.  I would recommend you try it and have a good time.  Not sure about a discount but I know they usually give discounts for everything once you board.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Can I ask why?  Also, did you notice any discounts on Adventure?

We’ve done the Chef’s Table before. And other than that, we loved Adventure. Let me say that first. 

It was in the dining room, on a tier of the large staircase, and hard to hear the explanations of the courses and the wines. We personally prefer a smaller, more intimate venue so we can hear, and chat around the table. And they skimped on the wine, compared to other ships. I’m not talking about quantity, but quality. We had a Caymus for the main course, which was very nice, but the wines for the other courses weren’t quality, but rather an everyday wine we would pick up in the liquor store to have with dinner. There were no alternatives offered when someone at the table couldn’t drink a particular wine, nor was there a white with the main course for those who chose fish. It really felt like they were trying to save money for themselves. And I’m not a wine snob, just have been led to expect more from other experiences. 🙂 The food was very good, but I wouldn’t pay that price for just the food. 

We booked ahead of time with a shipboard credit. They probably offer a discount onboard. Wouldn’t recommend it any other way. Not bad, just not worth the price listed. 🙂