Remember them good ol’ days...

crooooze

1 hour ago, young_ens said:

Interesting.  We had baked Alaska on the last day of our last cruise (this past April) on the Sunshine.

Yep, Carnival has either gotten nostalgic or their marketing team told them to do it. Either way we were pleasantly surprised to see its return to the Carnival line up. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Free upgrades, Caribbean steel drum bands instead of a blaring DJ.

I forgot about the steel drum bands. You know your cruise had started when you embarked and you heard those drums.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, samiam0403 said:

I miss the old placemats/pictures of the ships that you used to get in the dining room.

yes and all staff members who served you sighed their name on it. great reminder of the cruise.

• Like 3

Ping pong ball stuffed bikinis.  Skeet shooting off the aft deck. Horseracing poolside.  Checking out Cuba up on the funnel deck. Late night comedy in the large aft showroom.

Edited by SNJCruisers
  • Like 4

Thanks for the memories, what about the free champagne for the captains party and the past guest party included everyone who had sailed before.  Yes it got crowded but funship drinks were everywhere.

• Like 5

In 1959 my parents cruised to bermuda on a cunard ship...we were able to walk around the ship....see their cabin...get a shirley temple from the steward who was dressed like a bell boy...waved from the nyc harbor while the band played and streamers abounded....it was so awesome for this 10yo farm girl...my mother brought back menus with silk flowers and bows on them....i was enchanted...now im just glad they dont allow tank tops for formal night!😀

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

We discovered cruising kind of late (2006) and Carnival in 2012, but were trying to make up for lost time! We only enjoyed one midnight buffet before they were gone, but havent really missed it. I miss pillow chocolates a little. I miss completely free room service, but do appreciate the new offerings. I miss shrimp salad and turkey on a country roll. I enjoy reading about things from before my cruising days. 

• Like 1

I also feel that when you are cruising on the newer mega ships, with 4,000+ of your closest friends and crew of at least 2,000, it's a little harder providing the service and little perks that some of us remember from days gone by. It's definitely a new era in the cruise industry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2019 at 10:22 AM, jayscore said:

I miss the full silverware settings in the dining room instead of just a knife and fork.

I just got off the Conquest and not even once was given a spoon for my coffee.  I used my butter knife.  That would be 5 meals in the dining room.

My uncle lived in Miami and we would go visit him every summer.  As a form of entertainment, he would take us all down to the cruise port and we would board a ship that was sailing that afternoon.  We walked around, had little finger sandwiches and punch (for free!  always excited us as kids).  Then they would blow the horn to let everyone that was not sailing it was time to get off the ship.  We didn't even know anyone sailing, just went down to the pier for something to do and see how the other half lived!

My first cruise in 1978 there was only a breakfast, lunch and dinner seating (early and late).  If you missed your assigned time, you didn't eat until the next meal time.  No Lido deck buffet, nothing to snack on at all, although they did have a midnight buffet.  Also remember at the "Captains Party" the captain shook hands with each guest as we entered the lounge.  Free drinks at that party were whiskey sours, martinis and wine.  Dinning room food seemed so much better back then.  Maybe it is just a case of nostalgia.  They had a lobster thermidor that I still remember to this day!  Breakfast started out with a half of a pineapple, sliced but still sitting on the shell.  So sweet and fresh when all I'd ever had was canned pineapple up until that point.  

I was a child when my parents took my sister and I with them (and a few other families) on a Greek Isle cruise. I have been enamored ever since. I think part of the reason I have booked on different lines (sailed CCL and NCL in the last year, RCCL, Princess and Celebrity booked through Jan 2021) is I'm trying to find one that really evokes those memories. Dressing for dinner, table clothes, table manners, live music, people sitting and reading or chatting or playing cards. The sail away with ribbons/confetti, champagne/shirley temples, dinner with various crew, dancing (NOT twerking and grinding). 

On 5/5/2019 at 12:57 AM, Markmom18 said:

In 1986 my new boyfriend (he became my sweet hubby in 1988) and I boarded the Ship his parents were cruising on.  We walked around a bit, saw their Cabin and drank a toast with them before debarking. There was an announcement over the Speakers telling us basically--Bye Bye.

We were both SO excited that shortly thereafter we booked "our" first cruise, a Halloween one too!!   What a great marketing plan 'back in the day', and it worked!! 🛳😂😂🛳

🌸🌸 Bobbi

This is so cool! I wish they did this today. Our wedding cruise was kind of like that, where the non-sailing guests were allowed on for the festivities then told to hit the road. It'd be nice if they could do this for regular passengers too. Although with the ships holding so many passengers now, that would probably not be possible.

• Like 1

I still have the dining room ship mats from my first 2 cruises -- Carnival Victory in 2003 and Imagination in 2005.   Ah, the little goody dish in the bathroom.  I learned about a razor I still love from a Carnival cruise due to the free sample!   Don't miss chocolates--i don't like milk chocolate.   Midnight buffet--wow.    GOOD production shows because those really went downhill on Carnival.   I miss the decent tea assortment too.   

I also remember my first Norwegian cruise out of NYC in maybe 2009--glass of sparkling wine as you boarded.  They don't do that anymore.

Ahh sweet memories.  Yet, cruising is still a great vacation without those things.