2 diners, 2 different drinks package

lachelli

Hey everyone 

This may seem like a silly question, but what happens at dinner when someone at your table orders what is classed as a premium bottled of water. Do they leave the bottle on the table or do they only pour it for those that have it covered on their drinks package before removing the bottle.

My wife and I have different drinks packaged and I don't want to have to ask for glass to be refilled every tine I want some more Evian or San Pellengrino poured 

Thanks 

Edited by lachelli

Thanks everyone 

I just don't like having to hassle an already busy waiter every time I want some extra water, but I guess its a nickel and dime decision that is made at corporate level. Heaven forbid if someone at the table drank some water that they are not supposed to. 

Thanks again 

Edited by lachelli

Don’t know that it is a “nickel and dime” decision but rather a  practical one.  The tables, at least in Blu and Luminae, are small and many times  it is difficult to get all items on the table for the meal.  Even when we purchase a bottle of wine it isn’t normally left on the table.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, lachelli said:

Thanks everyone 

I just don't like having to hassle an already busy waiter every time I want some extra water, but I guess its a nickel and dime decision that is made at corporate level. Heaven forbid if someone at the table drank some water that they are not supposed to.

25 minutes ago, lachelli said:

Thanks again 

Okay, if it is a hassle to request more water to be poured, then politely request that the bottle be left on the table for self-serve purposes.

You can explain that you drink an extraordinary amount of water and do not want to 'hassle' them to get it as often as you want it, if in fact that is the case.

Of course the 'hassle' factor is all about how busy, which they usually are, in the dining venue in which you are eating.

Then again, from your comment, it is a matter of sharing your water moreso than having it available for you only based on the package. Thus, to me, it is not the hassle as opposed showing family and friends how great you are sharing your 'premium' water with those who do not have the right package for it.

Which is fine, to be sure, yet be clear(er) about the reason.

Also, if it were lunch time, then a bottle of water left on the table can be, somewhat, overlooked, dinner, most likely not.

cheers and bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Okay, if it is a hassle to request more water to be poured, then politely request that the bottle be left on the table for self-serve purposes.

You can explain that you drink an extraordinary amount of water and do not want to 'hassle' them to get it as often as you want it, if in fact that is the case.

Of course the 'hassle' factor is all about how busy, which they usually are, in the dining venue in which you are eating.

Then again, from your comment, it is a matter of sharing your water moreso than having it available for you only based on the package. Thus, to me, it is not the hassle as opposed showing family and friends how great you are sharing your 'premium' water with those who do not have the right package for it.

Which is fine, to be sure, yet be clear(er) about the reason.

Also, if it were lunch time, then a bottle of water left on the table can be, somewhat, overlooked, dinner, most likely not.

cheers and bon voyage

Wow, How sad it is to see that someone can be so judgmental of others and especially those that they do not know. 

I should not have to justify myself to others, but for the record and the sake of clarity, I will be the one one with the lowest drinks package, the premium non alcohol. 

So whilst I am sitting there drinking "extraordinary amount of water" which is due to medial reasons, my wife will be enjoying her wine.

I can only hope that I don't have the pleasure of meeting with such miserable  individuals as yourself on our up and coming cruise. 

As they say in my neck of the woods, don't be a bell end all of your life

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

DH and I will have a related issue.  I will probably upgrade a classic to a premium.  He only drinks quality sparkling water so, I hate to upgrade him, if there is a “legal”, more cost effective way, to get him the only thing he drinks. What is the cost of a bottle of Pellegrino? 

Edit: We have the classic included with our booking, can we just have him changed to a premium non alcoholic?

Edited by buggins0402
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, lachelli said:

I will be the one one with the lowest drinks package, the premium non alcohol.  

If everyone's got a premium package, I'm not sure of the reason for the question.

• Thanks 1

I have always had the premium and the wife the classic. I've always asked for the wine bottle if purchased or bottled water be left and they do. Never had anyone from  the staff question my request.  

2 hours ago, lachelli said:

Thanks everyone 

Thanks again 

Not sure why you would call this nickel and diming; seems more like it is an issue of you wanting to share then you wanting extra water.  Just ask that it be left on the table and when the server turns their back, then share it.🤩

• Thanks 1

Hmmm, goes to show things aren't consistent between ships/servers

In the MDR this last B2B Hawaii cruise the bottle of Pelegreano was opened and left at our table. We both had a premium drink package

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buggins0402 said:

DH and I will have a related issue.  I will probably upgrade a classic to a premium.  He only drinks quality sparkling water so, I hate to upgrade him, if there is a “legal”, more cost effective way, to get him the only thing he drinks. What is the cost of a bottle of Pellegrino? 

Edit: We have the classic included with our booking, can we just have him changed to a premium non alcoholic?

Usually, it is not a hassle, to be sure. If you have the Premium Package and he is at the table with you, I have never known the Sommelier to NOT provide both persons with the same 'water' or 'wine' as it were, as long as one in the party had the 'better' package ...

As for the water, I would wait until boarding to find out which carbonated water is on the classic package and then decide if it is a water you would enjoy.

As for upgrading, please take into account beyond water, i.e. specialty coffees, specialty teas and the like that you will consider consuming, then you will be in a better position to know if it is worth it for you.

Since you have your beverage package as an included perk, then is the $12.00/day additional of value to you? As for changing to the Premium Non-Alcohol package, I have found it difficult to do as an even trade. For friends who sail with us and do not drink, they usually have traded out for the Classic Non-Alcohol package then upgraded once aboard.

Yet, check with your TA or if booked directly, with X to see if they will do the exchange for you.. as it sounds like the Premium Non-Alcohol package may be the better choice in your particular case.

Let us know how you make out with this.

Cheers and bon voyage

47 minutes ago, A Sixth? said:

Hmmm, goes to show things aren't consistent between ships/servers

In the MDR this last B2B Hawaii cruise the bottle of Pelegreano was opened and left at our table. We both had a premium drink package

That is the key factor in your situation...

cheers and bon voyage

This topic is relevant to us also. I enjoy a premium alcohol/beverage package and my husband (a non alcohol consumer would appreciate a premium nonalcoholic package) we each have as an included perk...  a classic alcohol package. It would be great if  that perk could be applied to the two packages that would work for us. Has anyone had success doing this?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lachelli said:

Thanks everyone 

Thanks again 

Your question is interesting, given this string of responses. We've had drink packages on our last couple of cruises. I upgrade to premium and my DH stays with classic. On our last cruise myself and our son had the premium package and my DH had no package. I order Pellegrino every night at dinner. When we eat in a specialty restaurant the bottle has never been left on the table. It's usually in an ice bucket near the table. The waiter fills our glasses when they look low. Sometimes the waiter automatically fills both glasses and other times they don't. When we ate in MD the waiters tended to leave the bottle on the table so we could self fill our glasses. On our last cruise where there were 3 of us, the waiter made it a point of telling us not to worry about sharing the bottle with the 3 of us. 

7 hours ago, buggins0402 said:

Yes, go to guest services. My husband doesn't drink alcohol, but he likes the premium sparkling waters. We go to guest services as soon as we board to downgrade his Classic Alcohol package to a Premium Non-Alcohol package. The last time, the person at guest services had to call her supervisor to ask if it was okay and to get instructions on processing the change. 

Edited by Marelaine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We really can’t give you a definitive answer because these sorts of things vary from ship to ship and person to person.  I’ve read of cases where guest relations allowed a classic beverage package to be swapped to premium non-alcohol, but other cases where it was refused.

I believe your best bet is just to politely inquire once onboard.

Jane

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, buggins0402 said:

Yes.   Just go to Guest Relations and ask them to change it.

We have never had a problem doing that, but since someone else here apparently did,  I would suggest that if someone should give you a hard time about it, ask to speak to the Guest Relations Director.

Edited by fleckle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1