unwrapped flatware in Windjammer!

On LB 2 weeks ago the flatware in the WJ was not wrapped in a rolled up napkin but left open in "buckets" for folks to paw over trying to find the correct utensil. So unsanitary! I spoke to the hotel director and the WJ manager. Manager said  they would go back to wrapping it next day. Didn't happen. Spoke to hotel director and she agreed with me that this was very unsanitary but said ship was ordered by Miami to stop wrapping flatware. Obviously a move to save money by eliminating a labor intensive task.  Made the WJ look like an elementary school cafeteria. Are other ships doing the same? Many of us on that cruise vowed we would note in our reviews how unsanitary this is. 

on our Asia cruise flatware (and chopsticks) were in bins and napkins nearby.  we loved not having to take a whole set if we just wanted a napkin or just needed a fork.  I never saw anyone "pawing" over flatware or touching non handle parts---but thees were in flat bins with all the handles facing the same way---not buckets

• Like 3

I was also on the Brilliance TA, and the flatware there was wrapped per normal, we thought not wrapping on Quantum in China was specific to letting people choose chopsticks or flatware and never thought it was fleetwide---only wished it would be.

Edited by xxHadleyxx

3 minutes ago, 39august said:

On LB 2 weeks ago the flatware in the WJ was not wrapped in a rolled up napkin but left open in "buckets" for folks to paw over trying to find the correct utensil. So unsanitary! I spoke to the hotel director and the WJ manager. Manager said  they would go back to wrapping it next day. Didn't happen. Spoke to hotel director and she agreed with me that this was very unsanitary but said ship was ordered by Miami to stop wrapping flatware. Obviously a move to save money by eliminating a labor intensive task.  Made the WJ look like an elementary school cafeteria. Are other ships doing the same? Many of us on that cruise vowed we would note in our reviews how unsanitary this is. 

I'm guessing that Royal feels that with having everyone use hand sanitizer before entering the WJ is working, so wrapping the utensils is not necessary. 

9 minutes ago, 39august said:

What is LB?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 39august said:

The utensils are wrapped in brown cloth napkins on Independence out of Southampton England

16 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Vision last week, the flatware was wrapped 

I was on Vision last week also...the only flatware unwrapped were the soup spoons and the desert spoons/forks.

I hope unwrapped flatware isn't going to be the norm.....I too think it not only unsanitary but unappealing visually.

20 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Soup spoons have always been unwrapped

I hate those huge spoons...I always have to go to the desert area to get a normal size spoon.

7 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I was on Vision last week also...the only flatware unwrapped were the soup spoons and the desert spoons/forks.

I hope unwrapped flatware isn't going to be the norm.....I too think it not only unsanitary but unappealing visually.

I like the idea of being able to just get what you want or need.  It would be nice to be able to get an extra cloth napkin without all of the flatware.

• Like 5

I'm a fan of unwrapped as well, or even better to have both sets available. Wrapped is convenient when you're first getting a plate; it's easier to carry the utensils and the plate if they are wrapped. But there are loads of times where I need a spare fork or knife or napkin and my only option is to go grab a whole extra set. End up with a bunch of extra/unused items that still have to be washed. Seems like a huge waste

• Like 7

I have seen unwrapped silverware in the Windjammer a few times. Always because they ran out and didn't have time to wrap them. Could be they had a few crew out sick and were low on manpower. 

As far as the fleetwide time will tell. I once had a head chef tell a galley tour that lobster was no longer available on Royal Caribbean That they stopped serving lobster months ago. I told him we just got off the Oasis a week before and was surprised Royal must have sold the ship to another company. That chef no longer works for Royal.

21 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

I'm a fan of unwrapped as well, or even better to have both sets available. Wrapped is convenient when you're first getting a plate; it's easier to carry the utensils and the plate if they are wrapped. But there are loads of times where I need a spare fork or knife or napkin and my only option is to go grab a whole extra set. End up with a bunch of extra/unused items that still have to be washed. Seems like a huge waste

I agree we use a napkin as a tablecloth. So our silverware doesn't touch the bare table. And always wind up with an extra knife and fork.

1 hour ago, SailorJeff66 said:

Reduction of waste paper and plastic on ships. Look for less single use packaging in the future.

They weren't wrapped in plastic.  They were wrapped in a linen napkin.

Oops to slow! 

Edited by Tree_skier