What makes Breeze so special?

mook1525

I have been on one Carnival ship so far.. on Sunshine and trying to book a cruise for next year. 

I have been doing an extensive research on ships for weeks and came to a conclusion that Carnival Breeze is the "overall" best/most liked ship in the fleet. Am I right?

What makes Breeze special? (to a lesser extent Dream Class ships)  I was somewhat surprised that their new ships Vista/Horizon have way too many negative reviews due to crowding issue.

I am thinking about leaving from Florida with 2 kids and this close to book a cove balcony on Breeze...

please tell me I am making a right choice! 

what makes Breeze so good compared to other ships?

thanks!

5 minutes ago, mook1525 said:

I have been on one Carnival ship so far.. on Sunshine and trying to book a cruise for next year. 

I have been doing an extensive research on ships for weeks and came to a conclusion that Carnival Breeze is the "overall" best/most liked ship in the fleet. Am I right?

What makes Breeze special? (to a lesser extent Dream Class ships)  I was somewhat surprised that their new ships Vista/Horizon have way too many negative reviews due to crowding issue.

I am thinking about leaving from Florida with 2 kids and this close to book a cove balcony on Breeze...

please tell me I am making a right choice! 

what makes Breeze so good compared to other ships?

thanks!

Well...

As @Saint Greg would say, the comedy club is situated in the right spot and people don't walk through the lounge to get tot dinner like on the Sunshine.

As @PhillyFan33579 would say, the Red Frog Pub is on the ship.

As @jbethel11 would say, the thrill theater, ropes course, waterslides, etc...

• Like 1

So I have only been on dream class and vista class ships, so I cannot speak to the other classes. I know many people like the smaller ships too, but my husband and I like the options that a larger ship gives you. Personally, the layout of the dream class ships, to me, is phenomenally better than the vista class.

With the vista class they added the havana area, which is only available to people who paid extra for the havana cabins (up until 7:30 pm). This blocked off the back of deck 5, which I loved having. My husband and I liked to walk around deck 5 because it was usually far less crowded than decks 10/11/12.

The vista also doesn't have the atrium anymore because of the IMAX theater, which again, is another "pay for" feature that to me, took away some of the awe of the lobby area. I can go to a movie anytime at home, I don't need a theater while I am on a ship. It also made the lobby area seem small and cramped because it was only 3 floors instead of being open all the way to the top of the ship basically. The main dining room on deck 3 (if I remember correctly) was only 1 floor instead of 2, also making it seem much more cramped.

As you read previously, there were many lines and crowds that just didn't make for a good time. We wanted to try the skyride but there was always a ridiculously long line for it, same with the ropes course. Now, we went on spring break because I am a teacher so there were a lot of kids. Not sure what it would be like during a different time. That's just what happened in my experience. 

As for the breeze compared to the Magic and the Dream, I love all 3, but the Breeze does have very nice decor in my opinion. It is very calming. You can't go wrong with the Breeze!!

We are booked on the Breeze in February of 2020, so we have not actually been on the ship yet. But as for a couple reasons we booked the Breeze specifically. We are a family of 4 and always go with a balcony. We were on the Miracle a year ago and we all had a great time. However, the Miracle only has a water slide and not the waterworks, so that was a main selling point. Also, we wanted something with a couple more dining options, i.e. Guys, Blue Iguana, etc. Our kids love the kids club and for that reason we booked a Spa Balcony on the Breeze, figure that while the kids are at club we can enjoy time in the spa. Also the itinerary, didn't want to take the kids to Mexico, but would love to try Panorama. And we've done Western Caribbean, which is mostly what the Vista does. The Horizon, just didn't work for our schedule.

I am hoping the Breeze is everything I've read about and we do enjoy moving up to a bigger class ship.

• Like 1

Personally we liked the Sunshine much more than the Breeze.  Waterworks on Sunshine is situated better.  Buffet layout is better on Sunshine too.  Sunshine had multiple stations with 2 sides where Breeze was always one long line for everything.  Sunshine also has Havana bar.  Both have Alchemy Bar, Guys, and Blue Iguana.  Breeze does have Guys BBQ though.  Some people complain about the comedy club on the Sunshine, but they are the ones who want to show up as it starts and expect a prime seat.  We just show up 15-20 mins early and it is no big deal. 

• Like 1

Breeze was my first cruise so she'll always be special to me.  there wasn't an Alchemy on it when we sailed but I didn't know what that was anyways...we grew to LOVE the Alchemy on other ships and glad the Breeze got one. 

I liked Guy's burgers and the Dive in movies most.  oh and the trivia.  and Cheers package!

its a great ship.  I think you'll really enjoy it. 

Will be on the Breeze for the first time in a few weeks.  I have sailed on the Magic and I'll say that the dream class is my favorite. For me the aft pool overlooking the ocean is fantastic  plus the shaded deck overlooking the main pool. I was on the Sunshine in April and although it's a nice ship I have no desire to sail on it again.

I've done 10 cruises on 7 different ships, and honestly the Breeze is probably one of my favorites for many reasons.  It has all the bells and whistles we like (Guys BBQ, Bonsai Sushi, big without being too crowded, beachy decor instead of loud colors, great CD (it was Schwartz when we were on it)...  just an overall great vibe.

• Like 3

My wife and I took the Breeze for our delayed (thanks Army) honeymoon on the breeze, previously I'd only been on the Fantasy class. It's still my favorite carnival ship, it think it really stands out because it was the first ship to depart completely from the gaudy decor. The ship is laid out well, easy to navigate, has all the stuff we like. It's just a great ship. I definitely would choose it over the Dream or Magic. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, moondog73 said:

Personally we liked the Sunshine much more than the Breeze.  Waterworks on Sunshine is situated better.  Buffet layout is better on Sunshine too.  Sunshine had multiple stations with 2 sides where Breeze was always one long line for everything.  Sunshine also has Havana bar.  Both have Alchemy Bar, Guys, and Blue Iguana.  Breeze does have Guys BBQ though.  Some people complain about the comedy club on the Sunshine, but they are the ones who want to show up as it starts and expect a prime seat.  We just show up 15-20 mins early and it is no big deal. 

Always interesting how people view ships differently. Of the 11 Carnival ships we have cruised on, both my wife and I agree Sunshine is easily our least favorite ship. I assume a lot of people feel the same way, since Carnival is not repeating some of the same mistakes on Sunrise and Radiance. However, Sunshine currently has my favorite CD (Mikey Gibson).  

I have been on the Breeze before, and I love it! I love being able to walk arround the perimeter of the ship. I also love the Thrill Theater. My son has me super excited about booking the spa lassotherapy package for a week [$139,] which gives you the thallosotherapy pool, and a couple other perks. Most of the spas do not have this option. Also, if you book this, you will need to take advantage while kids are in the kids centers, because no one under 18 is allowed in. Also, on the aft of deck 5, there is an awesome, beautiful and restful spot { I THINK it has a hot tub] with longe chairs and lounge beds. I have never seen it crowded.

On our sailing on Breeze we had the tag team of Mike and Mike, so it made our cruise amazing. As stated above it was really nice to be able to walk around the ship with nothing to go inside to go back outside, nice and open. After Breeze we went on Splendor, which of course is a ship of it own. We enjoyed it but after going on Breeze, it just wasn't the same anymore. We have Mardi Gras next year, so we will see if it just the Newer ship feeling or Breeze it self.. 

We love the Dream class ships the best. Deck 5, with the Ocean Plaza inside and the perimeter deck outside is perfect. Cove balconies, heck yeah. Just right for how we roll.

Our second favorite would be, wait for it, the Fantasy class ships.

In last place, the Conquest class.

1 hour ago, gnegron22 said:

On our sailing on Breeze we had the tag team of Mike and Mike, so it made our cruise amazing. As stated above it was really nice to be able to walk around the ship with nothing to go inside to go back outside, nice and open. After Breeze we went on Splendor, which of course is a ship of it own. We enjoyed it but after going on Breeze, it just wasn't the same anymore. We have Mardi Gras next year, so we will see if it just the Newer ship feeling or Breeze it self.. 

In my opinion it is the Dream class ships, all of them not just Breeze, that are well designed. We have cruised on both Vista and Horizon, and both my wife and I prefer the Dream class ships.  So it is definitely more than just the new ship feeling, at least based on our experiences. 

We cruised on the Magic last year and have the Breeze booked in 29 days. We love the design of the Dream class ship. Not too big, not too small. Lots of outdoor space for relaxing or walking. Thermal spa suite is great. Carnival got it right with this class of ships. 

I know folks who refuse to sail on the Sunshine ever again...it's old.  The Breeze is newer, with more "bells and whistles".  Most like that, some don't.  Only thing to do is try it!  It's only a week or so!

I think the reason Vista is not well received is that Carnival is making the mistake of using the same ship design, but smashing more and more in to it. Vista and Dream are the same size ship. 

If you are intent on sailing Carnival, then it seems Dream class is the best that they have. It's not saying much, as other lines have better ships. But for the money (assuming Carnival much cheaper), dream class is still a really nice ship.

I have also sailed conquest class and the dream class is a clear upgrade. Still very similar but better. Too bad they screwed up Vista.  You would think they would learn from NCL. Their plus class is still a similar design, but quite a bit larger and works better. 

Edited by BNBR

I have been on numerous carnival ships, the last one in May was the Breeze.  I hated her the most!  I did not go during spring recess or college recess or Memorial Day.  We found her to be the most crowded feeling ship ever, next to the NCL Breakaway.  I have been on 91 cruises so far and those two ships I never go on again.  

I went on the Magic two years ago and the Dream three years ago, but the Breeze has these "railings" on the promenade which keep the flow of traffic tighter, giving the feeling of being crowded.  The pools, not sure what Carnival was thinking it was so small, even smaller than the fantasy class pools and people were packed in it, looked like a can of sardines.

The buffet line especially for breakfast we waited at least 20-25 minutes.

Food in the lunch buffet got even more limited, there was only one meat carving on embarkation day and never again.

The bartenders were excellent, I was able to get drinks with Kraken rum where on the fantasy class ships was refused.  The staterooms were fine.  We always get a balcony cabin but we booked this up last minute and we had two cove balconies, big mistake, we were woken up multiple times each night with banging noises and such.

Just now, Cruisegirl6 said:

I have been on numerous carnival ships, the last one in May was the Breeze.  I hated her the most!  I did not go during spring recess or college recess or Memorial Day.  We found her to be the most crowded feeling ship ever, next to the NCL Breakaway.  I have been on 91 cruises so far and those two ships I never go on again.  

I went on the Magic two years ago and the Dream three years ago, but the Breeze has these "railings" on the promenade which keep the flow of traffic tighter, giving the feeling of being crowded.  The pools, not sure what Carnival was thinking it was so small, even smaller than the fantasy class pools and people were packed in it, looked like a can of sardines.

The buffet line especially for breakfast we waited at least 20-25 minutes.

Food in the lunch buffet got even more limited, there was only one meat carving on embarkation day and never again.

The bartenders were excellent, I was able to get drinks with Kraken rum where on the fantasy class ships was refused.  The staterooms were fine.  We always get a balcony cabin but we booked this up last minute and we had two cove balconies, big mistake, we were woken up multiple times each night with banging noises and such.

Interesting. Since we don't use pools on cruise ships for the most part, we found Magic didn't feel all that crowded. I actually expected it to and was pleasantly surprised. Agreed with the buffet, Carnival really does the worst buffets at sea, by a mile. However, their MDR was fast and efficient for breakfast, even if it was McDonald's style food with a waiter (on port days). Sea day brunches were really good. 

We sailed Escape and you are right, that class of ship is crowded  beyond belief, which is why I figured Magic would be, too, as they share an overall similar design.

We would sail Magic/Dream again if the price is right.

11 hours ago, ronbe65 said:

What is lost:

> A charm of a classic cruise ship experience

> Amazing central pool area with a sliding roof

The striking problem of the Dream class is inadequate pools. The Splendor isn't the best ship as fas as the pools are concerned. Now imagine the Breeze with the same size pools and 600 more passengers added. The pools are just awful. 

I'm going to have to disagree with the above points. I haven't been on the Splendor, but I have studied the deck plans and photos.

IMO, the Dream class' outside Promenade deck is one of the hallmarks of a "classic cruise ship experience" and is something the Splendor lacks. Being able to walk outside all the way around the ship is definitely a classic experience. The numerous outdoor seating areas and hot tubs on that deck also provide unique and fairly intimate settings to enjoy the ocean views.

As far as the central pool, it seems the only real difference between the Splendor and the Dream class is the sliding roof. I fail to see how that is important for ships that sail the Caribbean. I can see the advantage for Alaska and other colder climates, but in the Caribbean it would just be stifling.

When we were on the Magic the central pool was, admittedly, packed. The aft pool, however, was typically uncrowded and quiet.

I'm just grateful that there are so many different ship designs, so everyone can find the ships that suit them best.  

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 11:06 AM, moondog73 said:

For the most part the people who complain about the comedy club on the Sunshine are the people who like to show up before the first kids show and plop down for the entire night. I love that they clear out the comedy club after each show because if I just want to watch one regular comedy show I don't have to show up 45 minutes early just to get a seat