Junior Suite vs Basic balcony

Two adults and 13 year old DGS sailing Symphony Easter Break 2020. Booked in a junior suite mostly for the very tall kid. More space, privacy, nicer bathroom, and walk in closet!  I think it’s the best choice for our family and it will make for a relaxed vs stressful week not tripping over one another in a small balcony cabin. Thoughts on my rational?

I compared the HOTS pricing and could get a large balcony cabin for 2k less than the jr Suite on Symphony. OMG, decisions, descions, but I’m pretty much set on the Symphony. And I think the junior suite gives us what we need.

appreciate any and all random thoughts.

• Like 1

We love the Junior Suites, lots of room, comfortable, large balcony. There's usually a pre-boarding waiting lounge, early embarkationg, dinner at the Coastal Kitchen, select seating area in the main theater along with double points. 

Have a great cruise. 

Jonathan

39 minutes ago, kat9661 said:

Two adults and 13 year old DGS sailing Symphony Easter Break 2020. Booked in a junior suite mostly for the very tall kid. More space, privacy, nicer bathroom, and walk in closet!  I think it’s the best choice for our family and it will make for a relaxed vs stressful week not tripping over one another in a small balcony cabin. Thoughts on my rational?

I compared the HOTS pricing and could get a large balcony cabin for 2k less than the jr Suite on Symphony. OMG, decisions, descions, but I’m pretty much set on the Symphony. And I think the junior suite gives us what we need.

appreciate any and all random thoughts.

Balcony + Inside?🤔

Even more space....👍

• Like 2

If you can afford it, go for the comfort. If you couldn’t, I doubt you’d be having this conversation in the first place. “Regular” staterooms on any cruise ship are not spacious. We all tolerate them so we can go on cruises, not because they are better than actual spacious spaces.

• Like 1

Based on your comment about tall kid, I make the following remarks:

There us no difference in bed or sofa bed options between JS or balcony cabins.

The shower in JS actually has less headroom due to the tub being higher than bathroom floor level. 

Other than that, it really comes down to your personal preferences.

Based on your comment about tall kid, I make the following remarks:
There us no difference in bed or sofa bed options between JS or balcony cabins.
The shower in JS actually has less headroom due to the tub being higher than bathroom floor level. 

Other than that, it really comes down to your personal preferences.

Agreed

The side of the Junior Suite bathtub is really tall so if any of your party has mobility issues you need to avoid.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Balcony + Inside?🤔

Even more space....👍

Interesting alternative. 

If I was a 13 year old boy, I'd love to have my own stateroom.

53 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Interesting alternative. 

If I was a 13 year old boy, I'd love to have my own stateroom.

Of course, an adult must be registered in the room too but I assume you all ready know that. Personally, I would rather be together in a more spacious room. Maybe HOTS has a cheaper JS. Symphony is priced higher most likely cause it's newer.

A JS seems great if its in the budget, but from the other side, we managed fine in a Boardwalk Balcony room with 2 adults, one 13 year old (month away from 14) and a 9 year old.

You would switch to Harmony if you changed to balcony?  

Edited by LuCruise

14 hours ago, cruiserking said:

We love the Junior Suites, lots of room, comfortable, large balcony. There's usually a pre-boarding waiting lounge, early embarkationg, dinner at the Coastal Kitchen, select seating area in the main theater along with double points.

Last time I was on an Oasis-class ship, people in Junior Suites could not access the "select seating area in the main theater" unless they also were Diamond Plus C&A members or purchased "The Key".  Has this changed recently?

12 minutes ago, actuarian said:

Last time I was on an Oasis-class ship, people in Junior Suites could not access the "select seating area in the main theater" unless they also were Diamond Plus C&A members or purchased "The Key".  Has this changed recently?

If the Junior Suites get select seating at shows, I’ll skip The Key. Especially if it has gone up to $29.99. 

But I think it has to be a full suite to get that benefit. 

1 hour ago, actuarian said:

That's a shame. We've always enjoyed this perk on board Anthem. It's pretty lame that Royal is taking some of the few nice junior suite perks.

Jonathan

There isn't much "privacy" in a JS.  Yes, the cabin is larger, but it's still one space, aside from the bathroom and closet.  JS's do not get the "suite" perks except for priority boarding, and can request CK seating if there is a Coastal Kitchen on your ship.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cruiserking said:

That's a shame. We've always enjoyed this perk on board Anthem. It's pretty lame that Royal is taking some of the few nice junior suite perks.

Jonathan

Have sailed Anthem multiple times and JS never had reserved seating in the theater in our experience.  There is seating for full suites, diamond + and those that have purchased The Key.

17 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Balcony + Inside?🤔

Even more space....👍

Hard for me to say, but Thorben is right on.  The one important thing he left out is that you get a additional bathroom. Four people sharing one is way to tight. No need to book a adult in the other cabin as long as the cabin is next door or across the hall.  Another benefit Thorben left out is that only one UBP needs to be purchased.  One OV balcony and 1 CP or Boardwalk would probably be cheaper then a JS.

We have always booked 2 cabins with our kids when the 4 of us cruise together. When it was only 3 of us, DH , 18 yo DD, and myself, we had no problem sharing a balcony cabin on Allure. I don’t think an extra 2k is worth it for a bit more space. But that is only my opinion. 

Edited by rncruiser

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Have sailed Anthem multiple times and JS never had reserved seating in the theater in our experience.  There is seating for full suites, diamond + and those that have purchased The Key.

We've sailed Anthem 4 times and have been able to sit in reserved seating. 

Jonathan

Js are so much bigger than balconies. Junior suites vary alot from ship to ship. Our last one, a corner aft on granduer. 

When showing the room to friends we made, the husband exclaimed "i didn't know you had an inside cabin too" as we opened the closet door. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all, great ideas to ponder. We went with the junior suite for the extra room and the walk in closet which will provide privacy for dressing. Since it’s just the three of us I’d prefer having us all in one room. 

We are sailing over Easter school break and prices are steep. Currently, a large balcony stateroom is pricing higher than the junior suite we booked.

Thanks!

• Like 1