Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo can you hear me?

verizon

9 minutes ago, mitz18 said:

It's not just Celebrity - it's everywhere.  Common courtesy is a rare event these days.........

Civility is a thing of the past. You have people licking ice cream at the grocery store and putting the container back in the freezer, you have people eating half a cake while shopping and when they checkout they only want to pay for half the cake. How about people on cruises putting their stinky feet on the chairs in the various lounges not thinking that someone else may be sitting there when they leave or having a cocktail on said table. 

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mitz18 said:

What do you want them to do - kick the larger group out.  Seems that the ship is going to lengths to try accommodating you yet you're keeping an attitude.  Maybe the large group is not the real problem here.

WOW WOW WOW

Sound like you are one of those Rotten apples.

Are you Jean or Larry?

1 hour ago, CAicruiser said:

WOW WOW WOW

Sound like you are one of those Rotten apples.

Are you Jean or Larry?

I'm not sure if I am rotten or not (I know I'm not Jean, Larry or the other brother Larry) but I've seen too many people like the OP in lounges on various lines.  Everything is about them, and if not, they complain, usually about nothing.  Look, the OP is (apparently) in a suite, on a cruise, for 18 days, in the S.Pacific.  They are doing what 99.999% of the world cannot even dream of doing, and they are complaining about the noise in their (private) dining room.  Then, when a manager says "I'll take you to dinner to discuss" they say no. Honestly, what do they expect - the CEO of the company to hold their hand and say "poor baby, we're sorry that somebody's fun caused you stressed"?  Phhhh. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

We have been on both sides of this scenario in Luminae.   When with a group of family/friends traveling together, it is easy for the volume of our conversations to become intrusive without intent.  Having also been on cruises with just my husband, we have endured the lively party atmosphere of groups.  Sometimes just catching the eye of one member of the large group and nicely gesturing “shhh“or “keep it down” with your hand, will remind them that their voices were traveling.  It is always possible to be moved to a different location, but Luminae on “M” class don’t offer a lot of places to get away.  On the Silhouette, there were 2 somewhat separate rooms.  The maitre d’ should be able to advise you as to when the large group is scheduled to dine, in which case you can try to arrive either before or after.  In any case, go and enjoy your vacation!  Perhaps you can strike up a friendly conversation with others traveling solo or couples.

11 hours ago, verizon said:

Met restaurant manager for the whole ship invited me to Murano for dinner last night but I turned it down.

A mail in specialty restaurant won’t resolve the issue and I don’t need any compensation.

Did received phone call from guess relation manager Alana, Luminae restaurant manager and the MC concierge

OK.  I hope that didn't come across the them as rude as it does in print.  It sounds to me like they have done as much as they possibly can to make things right for you - and you have thrown it back at them.  Bearing in mind that the group have paid to be there was well as you so they can't chuck them out. And that it is very difficult for staff to ask groups to be quieter unless the conduct really is over the top - the group have paid to be there too... -   what more do you want them to do?  They have seated you in the other section. They have offered you dinner in another restaurant.  They have met / spoken with you to hear your concerns.  If there is a solution that would suit you (mindful of constraints above) that they haven't offered I would suggest it.  I don't think LLP is going to come winging down to answer your concerns in person (or indeed that RCL share prices would be adversely affected by your comments as you suggest).  The crew seem to be doing everything they can to make things right for you.

I hope that you can find a way to move on from this and enjoy the rest of your holiday.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, GastroGnome said:

... If there is a solution that would suit you that they haven't offered I would suggest it.  ...

This is really the secret.  If someone can't suggest a reasonable solution that would satisfy them, then don't waste your time or energy complaining.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Civility is a thing of the past. You have people licking ice cream at the grocery store and putting the container back in the freezer, you have people eating half a cake while shopping and when they checkout they only want to pay for half the cake. How about people on cruises putting their stinky feet on the chairs in the various lounges not thinking that someone else may be sitting there when they leave or having a cocktail on said table. 

Where the heck do you shop??

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Having worked in the hospitality industry for many years I have had to had to deal with many situations like this.  Well not many enough of them and there are times when you just cannot make the guest happy.  Celebrity has reached out but the guest does not like the answers at all.  

• Like 4

On 9/27/2019 at 4:20 PM, jelayne said:

OP if I’m not mistaken there is a front and somewhat smaller back section of  Luminae on the S Class ships.  Have you asked to be seated in the section away from the large group?  

My thoughts exactly. This shouldn't be that hard to fix.

On 9/27/2019 at 3:25 PM, UnorigionalName said:

Loud restaurants is now synonymous with fine dining.  Maybe not michelin 2 and 3 star type restaurants, but definitely the hip trendie "foodie"/hipster type restaurants.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/11/how-restaurants-got-so-loud/576715/

That is a great.... and unfortunately accurate.... article. My wife and I were out at a local restaurant last night and couldn’t believe how loud it was. At one point we heard a server say “ that was in the top five of how loud I have ever heard it on here”. 

The smaller 4 restaurants on Edge were much better with the noise level than the larger MDR’s are. 

mac_tlc

From my perspective- you did not charter a private yacht so their will be other passengers- some louder than others. I have been on cruises with loud groups and while annoying at times, I try and focus on how happy they are being together and how much fun they are having.  Its made a difference.

When in Alaska- we had a family next to us who had a baby that cried 24/7. At times we could hear it through the walls and it was horrific when we tried to sit on our balcony. At first we were really mad- then we became empathetic toward the family as it was no fun for them either.  By day 3 the baby calmed down quite a bit so was happy we did not complain and make a dig deal about it.

Lastly, I will also say that I have been part of a party of 6 and several nights we laughed ourselves silly while dining in Luminae. 3 of us have loud voices- that carry. We are not inconsiderate or rude- just enjoying our wonderful vacation together- feeling fortunate to have this experience.

I hope you can find peace and joy and remember- others are also on vacation- enjoying themselves.

Amy

• Like 6

1 hour ago, H2OH! said:

Lastly, I will also say that I have been part of a party of 6 and several nights we laughed ourselves silly while dining in Luminae. 3 of us have loud voices- that carry. We are not inconsiderate or rude- just enjoying our wonderful vacation together- feeling fortunate to have this experience.

Based upon reading the entirety of your post, I feel pretty confident that you really do have the best interest of those around you at heart. Having said that, I think it can be interesting to see what others might perceive as inconsiderate or rude, even when your intentions are completely benign. We are fairly quiet and reserved people, we vacation for some peace and quiet- The situation that the OP described would certainly probably cause some consternation for us as well. We want everyone to have a good time, but it certainly would infringe on ours.

I don’t have a great solution for this particular situation, but I do think there are at least a couple of points here, one being the perhaps more boisterous, live and let live crowd, Compared to Those who are seeking a quieter experience and really can’t enjoy their trip because of the volume.

This thread has all the symptoms of the latest "society disease" namely ENTITLEMENT.

Solo traveller, in a suite, wants everyone to pamper them at the expense of large group, refuses invitaton to dinner, complains the conceige ignored them - how dare there.

It has been my experience, that the crew are at first a bit reserved until they get to know you (and your humour level) then they will open up - so long as you treat them with respect.

Solution. Don't book a suite but book "stowage" and get nosy as the rest of the rabble.

PS. Life is so short live it to the full.🍻(one for me and the other for the large nosy group)

• Like 4

I think the "let the people have fun crowd" are pretty wrong.  In one example, if you know you're loud and your voice carries, then you can control your volume.  I have a dear aunt who you can hear from a few hundred yards away, but she's self-aware enough to moderate based on the situation.  I have a dear friend with a very loud laugh, but he has learned to control it.  It's called being considerate and aware of your surroundings.   

That said, it appears that the crew is doing its best to manage the situation but the OP has dismissed their entreaties and thinks taking it to "social media" will result in...what?  I'm not sure.  It makes them appear unreasonable and will likely result in more alienation than anything else.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

I think the "let the people have fun crowd" are pretty wrong.  In one example, if you know you're loud and your voice carries, then you can control your volume.  I have a dear aunt who you can hear from a few hundred yards away, but she's self-aware enough to moderate based on the situation.  I have a dear friend with a very loud laugh, but he has learned to control it.  It's called being considerate and aware of your surroundings.   

That said, it appears that the crew is doing its best to manage the situation but the OP has dismissed their entreaties and thinks taking it to "social media" will result in...what?  I'm not sure.  It makes them appear unreasonable and will likely result in more alienation than anything else.

I agree . Taking it to social media does not help.  Maybe if it was the end of the cruise and nothing was done to remedy the situation then posting here seems legit. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

I agree . Taking it to social media does not help.  Maybe if it was the end of the cruise and nothing was done to remedy the situation then posting here seems legit. 

Often taking it to social media closes the book on one's complaint.  "I want things to be the way they were 20 years ago...", good luck with that regardless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

What about the large group feeling entitled to yell across the table in a small dining room. They are obviously not thinking of anyone besides themselves.

No one has said the large group had yelled, you are the first one to say it. Here this isn't a case of entitlement but of embellishment.

Carryon with embellishment and coon the conceige will infact be Jack The Ripper.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 3:21 PM, mitz18 said:

No, she cannot hear you.  But if Luminae is not to your liking, go to MDR.   Not sure what you wanted the host to do for that party of 10.  Tell them they cannot sit together?  Also, did you approach the concierge in the club to say hello and start the interaction? 

So little of your cruising time is spent in Luminae and Michael's, why let it spoil the balance of time?  Relax - enjoy.

Who pays that amount of money to then eat in the MDR ? Come on that’s plain crazy.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:16 PM, verizon said:

Since I sent an email to CelebrityOneTouch@Celebrity.com two days ago with no response may be I better post here.

This is the worst cruise that I been on.
To be honest I wish I am not on this cruise.
I am a solo cruiser,I have been dining in Luminae so many times and never experienced a dining room that was so noisy.
If you can’t hear people talking from table of 5 feet away and you can hear clearly every single worlds from table 20 feet’s away to me that is consider loud.
It used to be a quiet and cozy dining but the host and hostess turned the place like a fish market.The host started to arranging that specific few customers to make up a bigger dining group initially from 5 tables for two to become a 1 big table of 10 on the third night of the cruise.
At some times that group of TEN talked and laughed so laud that everyone in the room can hear and it created such a discomfort  and displeasure to the less of the others diners.
It totally lost the feel of FINE DINING of Luminae.
On the second night the wait staffs and the sommelier have to take care that group and spent so much time on them and totally under served the other customers
If that is the way Celebrity only interest to make the ten customers happy and ignored the less then perhaps I may need to look else where.
Another thing I was unhappy was the invitation of the senior officers night at Michael Club.
The concierge was only interested to greet a few who may be in the HIGHER END SUITES and totally ignored me being in the room.I felt so discomfort and uninvited so I left the place in a short while.
Celebrity is time to wake up.I don’t see any MODERN LUXURY in this cruise line.
I brought this up is because I care about Celebrity,Celebrity is my only choice of cruising.
I don’t like to see Celebrity to go down hill so fast and open the doors to other competitors.
I am currently on the Celebrity Solstice 18 nights Tahitian Treasures cruise 2019 September Sailing if you decided to talk to me you know where to find me.

Are you kidding?  Do you think the CEO of a major cruise line is going to call you and discuss  noise in a dining room?

Really?  Should have just spoke to the cruise staff about this issue.  Next time consider eating meals in your cabin; it's nice a quiet there.

• Like 4

This almost happened to us on the Silhouette in March a couple of years ago. There was a party of around 8 who was a bit loud but we had talked with some of them in Michael’s and they apologised if they were loud. They were not too bad but the following cruise they were being joined by another 23. 
Our friends were on the second cruise and the whole party was allocated an area in the back so there were no issues for the bulk of the restaurant. The management knew about the issue and dealt with it. 
We also had an issues with a similar group to the op but we just asked to be seated far enough away so that it did not impact on us. You need to speak to the host or M’d and ask them to get a table far enough away.

This has been solved by the Luminae staff on occasion by putting up a temporary privacy partition near the large group - as reported on the boards here once or twice.  I think in general the use of partitions helps if the group agrees and does not take offense.  I have found that the large open Luminae on Edge is pretty loud and it would be improved by adding a few permanent clear glass partitions.