Disappearing New York Times?

IslandThyme

20 minutes ago, IslandThyme said:

I'm on Maasdam, and today, instead of the New York Times digest paper there was something called USA News. Crew members said that there was going to be no more NYT. Is this happening on all the ships? I think it's really a pity, if so.

I think we had that on Cunard this summer. I like getting the little NYT. Maybe it's a decision by Carnival, not the individual lines.

Thanks for the information.

Hope  that the Tasman Sea is calm for you. Probably be numerous waterfalls at Milford Sound for you tomorrow.

Rain is forecast for Tuesday for your visit to Port Chalmers (Dunedin), when the ship enters Otago Harbour the Albatross Colony is situated  on the cliffs portside, you may see some of the birds in flight while entering/leaving the harbour.

just off westerdam last week and they still have the times digest along with canadian and other versions..hopefully this won't change

i remember on prinsendam that u could read the NYT online in the library....which was a great place to have a morning coffee and read the paper....

Edited by dockman
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, avian777 said:

OP, I've never heard of USA News - do you know if it's a digest published by USA Today? Or is it a separate, stand-alone  newspaper?

I don't usually save the newspapers, but I sometimes save a page if there's something interesting I want to follow. I looked at stuff from my recent Cunard cruise and found a few first pages. It's from KVH Media Group and NEWSlink. Articles appear to be from AP. 

• Thanks 1

The decision re: Times Digest on board is not Carnival fleetwide - at least not yet.  Just got off the Seabourn Ovation and DH and I enjoyed the Times Digest and, of course, the NYT crossword daily.  To not have that particular crossword would definitely affect a decision to continue to cruise HAL, especially on sea days.

On board Seabourn we had a choice of papers, the USA paper being one of them as well as the Times Digest.

Some folks may not like one paper or another but they should not have the right to make decisions for others.  Choice is a good thing.  

• Like 1

Hi

I do not think this is a Carnival wide move.  Just off the Queen Mary's Ballet theme  August 11 crossing and New York Times digest available at front desk daily. It was printed  up and handed to me by a staff member.   I was also told it could be delivered to my cabin every day.  This has been true for years. The USA paper was left in the evening during turndown service.   While I agree that NY Times has a very liberal slant it has superior news coverage compared to the USA paper in my opinion.

Deck Chair

Edited by deck chair
  • Like 2

FWIW, we have a subscription to the digital version of the NYT, and it's been well worth the money.  I know that doesn't have anything to do with accessing it on a ship, but I just say that to counter the nasty comments about the paper.

As far as HAL offering it on board, it's nice. I like it. I wish they would continue it. BUT if they don't, it may well not be something they can control. They have to have some sort of contract with the NYT to do that, and maybe the deal simply didn't work out. It was free, for pete's sake, and I don't know any other cruise line that offers such a thing.

A substitute that offers the daily news from the AP would be fine.

And now I'll go read the Sunday NYT.

• Like 1

I disconnect from the world while on any vacation, so don't care what newspaper is available.  For those who want NYT, is it available on your devices?  Would it cost to connect?  Probably.  (I don't know that either because I occasionally use a cell phone in a port, which provides access to my provider for free.) 

For those who love crosswords, could you buy a small crossword puzzle book?  A thin one wouldn't take up much room in luggage and could supply you with a option while drinking morning coffee.    

• Like 3

Hi Abra!  Hope you are otherwise enjoying the cruise.  As for the NYT, I am surprised that of all HAL's ships, the Maasdam has chosen to remove this publication.  Isn't this the ship whose itinerary is designed for "inquiring  minds" and "inquisitive" travelers?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

For those who want NYT, is it available on your devices? 

I, for one, want to read the paper while I am having breakfast. I don't want to wait (unless the paper is coming out later that day, due to the time zone we are traveling in) until I can get up to the ship's computer stations. 
Not everyone is carrying a 'device' with them at all times, you know. Some of us don't even bring one with us when we leave for a cruise. 

And yes, the price of the NYT is free, at least it has been, as we can connect on the computers to a few sites at no charge. 

7 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I, for one, want to read the paper while I am having breakfast. I don't want to wait (unless the paper is coming out later that day, due to the time zone we are traveling in) until I can get up to the ship's computer stations. 
Not everyone is carrying a 'device' with them at all times, you know. Some of us don't even bring one with us when we leave for a cruise. 

And yes, the price of the NYT is free, at least it has been, as we can connect on the computers to a few sites at no charge. 

Good point, Ruth.

49 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

I disconnect from the world while on any vacation, so don't care what newspaper is available.  For those who want NYT, is it available on your devices?  Would it cost to connect?  Probably.  (I don't know that either because I occasionally use a cell phone in a port, which provides access to my provider for free.) 

For those who love crosswords, could you buy a small crossword puzzle book?  A thin one wouldn't take up much room in luggage and could supply you with a option while drinking morning coffee.    

NO to using my iPad on board with paid internet: I’ve read too many bad reports on connection to spend money on an internet package. I usually spend an hour reading the NYT on the computers in the library/Explorations Cafe. And as for bringing my own Crosswords, the print version of the NYT crosswords is as heavy as a dictionary 😅..don’t you all weigh these little things to keep your luggage under the limit wt (assume you are flying to the port)?

i was on Lufthansa last week and was given a candy bar for breakfast and a packaged pound cake on the connecting flight. What will cruise lines think up?

Perhaps  next we’ll be bringing on our own sandwiches for our first cruise lunch. LOL