Key Bags Left Unattended!

vision14k

17 hours ago, BNBR said:

Huh?  I don't think you know what The Key is...  It's a heck of a lot more than handling a carryon bag...

Yes, I know what it is.  You get wifi, which you can buy w/o the Key.  You get lunch in the MDR with the Chops menu on boarding day, but you can buy that also in Chops.  You get a reserved seat in a show, but for many ships, it is not needed, because there are plenty of "free" seats.  First off the ship in ports, but seriously, I don't ever remember waiting long enough to be worth paying for this.  The rock climbing and flow rider, are something that might be of interest to others, but I would rather do it during a "free" time.  However, that is an opinion, and I would rather not pay for free items.

2 hours ago, SamTimeDining said:

I feel that the OP wants to see a team of highly trained officers in a staring match with his luggage AT ALL TIMES. Totally reasonable expectation...

Your feeling would be incorrect.  What I would expect is a Key perk to actually be a perk.  Having my bag left unattended and not placed directly into my stateroom is not a perk IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Yes, I know what it is.  You get wifi, which you can buy w/o the Key.  You get lunch in the MDR with the Chops menu on boarding day, but you can buy that also in Chops.  You get a reserved seat in a show, but for many ships, it is not needed, because there are plenty of "free" seats.  First off the ship in ports, but seriously, I don't ever remember waiting long enough to be worth paying for this.  The rock climbing and flow rider, are something that might be of interest to others, but I would rather do it during a "free" time.  However, that is an opinion, and I would rather not pay for free items.

When you disembark, another nice Key benefit is The Key also allows you to enjoy a nice sit down breakfast and exit much more easily at your own time.

23 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

At least it’s inside the ship I don’t understand how people give their luggage’s to the porter and leave. I always chase someone that is pushing the cart inside the terminal and just drop it in there, now port of Miami has a better system you can drop it yourself and it goes straight to the terminal. 

What do you do when you fly?

Do you follow your baggage once you check in?  I.E. board the conveyor belt behind the check in agent.  Follow it, while it goes through other conveyor belts and handled by other people?  It then gets to the point where it gets loaded onto the carts trucked to the airplane loading conveyors.  Another person then throws them on the conveyor belt.  Inside the cargo hold of the airplane, one or more people are packing bags into available spaces.

Getting back to the original point.  If you have extremely important medication or expensive items, I would not recommend turning them over to anyone, unless you can afford the lost.

Even in Star Class, where you keep your luggage until a porter comes and all he handles is your luggage and takes it straight to your suite, we keep our carry on with us.  Just no reason to let it out of your sight if there is something important in the carry on.  Can't imagine why anyone would think that a drop off program would be any different than leaving your luggage with a porter at the curb.

On 10/1/2019 at 8:00 AM, vision14k said:

Your feeling would be incorrect.  What I would expect is a Key perk to actually be a perk.  Having my bag left unattended and not placed directly into my stateroom is not a perk IMO.

I agree with you 100%, the impression I get from royals wording of the drop off is that your carry on will be under the control of a RCCL employee until it is delivered to the cabin.

Thanks to the OP for bringing this to everyone's attention

• Like 2

Under frequently asked questions on Royal Caribbean’s website it states pack all medications in your carry-on to avoid them being lost or stolen. The key programs lists dropping your carry-off bags to be delivered to stateroom. Any reasonable expectation would be they would be secure by RC. 

I was on MSC cruise last week. The morning we got off they offered you could drop off your carry-on bags until it was time to disembark. It was in movie theater, crew member stood in front of door, no one went in/out except him. It was very well done. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 3:39 PM, gatour said:

What do you do when you fly?

Do you follow your baggage once you check in?  I.E. board the conveyor belt behind the check in agent.  Follow it, while it goes through other conveyor belts and handled by other people?  It then gets to the point where it gets loaded onto the carts trucked to the airplane loading conveyors.  Another person then throws them on the conveyor belt.  Inside the cargo hold of the airplane, one or more people are packing bags into available spaces.

Getting back to the original point.  If you have extremely important medication or expensive items, I would not recommend turning them over to anyone, unless you can afford the lost.

My reference is not after the luggage is inside the terminal. When you fly the luggage goes on the conveyor belts inside the terminal  only employees have access to my luggage which is the same when you self drop your luggage( optional new system) at port of Miami and it goes straight to the terminal in the conveyor belt ( the porters never touch your bag).  

My issue is about simply giving the luggage to a porter- he grabs it and drop it in cart- that cart might be on the sidewalk for 2 minutes or 1 hour exposed to passenger and strangers walking by. People love to that but I dont.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2019 at 1:19 PM, vision14k said:

After having The Key in our last cruise, we determined it to be a waste of money. We are on the Symphony now and don’t miss having it so far. For those thinking about getting it, in part for dropping their bags off for early delivery to their stateroom, you may be interested to hear that they were left unattended. While waiting for our cabin to open, I noticed a cart in the lobby unattended with several bags on it. I recognized the tags on the bags as being Key tags. Just FYI, if you were hoping to drop your bags with any valuables off early, they could grow legs fairly easily!

EAC61007-261B-46C1-A1C4-CCEBE335D552.jpeg

0210DEC5-D4AB-4C3B-9407-B688F9FE1F6F.jpeg

I do think this is a matter that Royal mgmt & security need to address sooner rather than later.  

It’s a perk that is SOLD to you.  Royal is CHARGING you to take your carry-on and deliver it.  Therefore They ARE responsible for its safety, as you have contracted them to do the task.

If the bags are being left unattended, we must force Royal to address it.  Insulting people who purchase this from Royal isn’t productive.  We need more problem-solvers.  Thankyou to the O.P for highlighting the problem.

OK....But you do realize that the bags are left unattended in front of the room at any given time. Worst of all they are left in the big room unattended waiting to be claimed on disembarkation day. If you fly airport security can go through them. I zip tie my bags before checking them at the airport. On the last trip to Florida TSA must have gone through them. They didn't leave a note but the zip ties were replaced with a different color than the ones I used. There are many reasons that I wouldn't purchase key but this isn't one of them.

On 9/29/2019 at 2:37 PM, gerif said:

I agree. If I were paying extra to leave my carryons (which typically contain valuables and medicine), I would certainly expect them to be watched until they can be delivered to my cabin. Otherwise, I would have just packed this stuff in my regular luggage. I find this inexcusable. 

Even it they were brought to the room directly I would still be walking around with my medication and valuables in a carry on bag. I wouldn't expect a cruise ship that carries thousands of passengers to be responsible for the well being of my luggage. Anything can get lost. Laundry gets lost all of the time. When the key was first introduced checking a carryon was one features that I knew that I would never use.

1 hour ago, styxfire said:

It’s a perk that is SOLD to you.  Royal is CHARGING you to take your carry-on and deliver it.  Therefore They ARE responsible for its safety, as you have contracted them to do the task.

Why do you think this?? The airlines charge to transport your bags and they are no more responsible for them than before they began charging. 

Knowing that you would be dropping your bags off, with or with a guard. Why would you have medicines or valuable in the bag your leaving. You carry on your meds/valuable because your checked luggage goes out of sight. Why would this be any different. If I have the key, common sense tells me I will still have a shoulder bag with my meds/valuables once I leave my carry-on.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Even it they were brought to the room directly I would still be walking around with my medication and valuables in a carry on bag. I wouldn't expect a cruise ship that carries thousands of passengers to be responsible for the well being of my luggage. Anything can get lost. Laundry gets lost all of the time. When the key was first introduced checking a carryon was one features that I knew that I would never use.

Exactly.  That's why I never understood that perk as part of The Key and never understood the benefit.  My carry on has my medicine and our valuables (e.g. electronics for the plane, camera, etc etc).  The rest of the stuff goes in the luggage which we hand over to the porter when we arrive.  So would never hand over the carry on.  

3 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Exactly.  That's why I never understood that perk as part of The Key and never understood the benefit.  

It's just fluff to add to the features and benefits. Kind of like the fluff they spout about for low levels of the loyalty program. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 6:46 AM, SamTimeDining said:

I feel that the OP wants to see a team of highly trained officers in a staring match with his luggage AT ALL TIMES. Totally reasonable expectation...

Shouldn't the person you hand your bag to at the drop-off location be the one watching it? Doesn't take much training.

Or, at least, put the bags in a locked, secure room. That is not too much to expect. It's part of a paid benefit, otherwise people could just leave their carry-on wherever they feel like.

Disclaimer: I'll never buy  The Key myself so I have no dog in the fight.

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Truthfully, I wouldn’t trust them with my stuff either, nor do I see myself ever purchasing the Key. Just saying that if they are touting the carryon drop off as part of the service one would think they would have means in place to keep it secure. 

• Like 1