Boarded Edge Yesterday—First Impressions

GeorgiaPeach51

GP

I am enjoying the review...esp  writing style and thoughts.

We will let you know how the Sunset Veranda works out for us...not a suite but has a real  balcony....and is a bit larger space. We plan to do alot of walking to the elevs and back...good excercise!

AQ Class would have the IV ,   but access to BLU and the Thernal suite.  We always called AQ our " budget suite"..Pricey now but you can look for the Veterans Day deals..

• Like 1

I am also quite sure Apex will be a clone of Edge- if sailing X I will stick to M- Class or S- Class! You are right S- Class has also less bars and lounges with a view! Al Bacio does have a great view though- as has the Martini Bar. I never cared for Cellar Masters or Gastro Pup or with whatever name they came up for that dungeon.

I am pretty sure though, that I would like Eden as I loved the Sky Lounge! I am bit confused though, what smell are you refering to...?

HC-a sunset verandah would be nice in Edge- I agree- with that verandah of the olden times- of the golden times...! LOL!

GermanCruiser, I don’t know how to describe the smell. It is herbal and I guess they would want it to be called earthy. It’s like incense and I find it very cloying and heavy. It is supposed to add to the whole Eden vibe, along with the names of the drinks and the foods. I cannot eat there because the smell overcomes everything else. But the place is busy so it obviously doesn’t bother other people. You won’t know till you go!  

So here is a caution for you. Got up at 8 and headed to the bathroom. Fumbled around for the light switch but managed to hit the master control. Up comes the shade, every light comes on, and my poor husband is unwillingly woken abruptly. Only thing missing was a big brass band. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

Just attended a very nice Veterans Day program held in Eden.  Yes, I put up with the smell to be there and it was worth it.  Obviously a lot of time spent on it.  Music, the Captain spoke, one passenger gave a very touching short commentary about a heroic young man who gave all for the rest of us.  My husband was an Air Force F-16 and A-10 pilot for 21 years and we are well acquainted with the sacrifices made by military members and their families.

If you are reading this and served, or are serving our great country in the military I thank you with all my heart for your service in behalf of us all.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Lovely of them do mark Veteran's Day!

Very classy.  I believe Grt Britain just had their Renembrance Day.

Thanks to all Veterans and their families for all you have done to preserve our liberty & freedom!

Edited by hcat
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

So here is a caution for you. Got up at 8 and headed to the bathroom. Fumbled around for the light switch but managed to hit the master control. Up comes the shade, every light comes on, and my poor husband is unwillingly woken abruptly. Only thing missing was a big brass band. 

LOL, VT had a similar situation on one of her sailings on The Edge...

I trust that I will not repeat the same, yet am prepared for it...

bon voyage

Too funny about those controls.. Happened to me once.  Tried not to touch too many buttons...dh of course loved to play with all the controls!

As for the EDEN aroma...misting incense or whatever...spounds like it is escalating. Did you  notify GR or hotel director or CD?

Perhaps we should inform the Special needs dept which is very good about allergies.  I thought I would have an issue with the cashmere bedding and they offered solutions.  Turned out to be fine. Slept great on EDGE..loved the firm mattress.

2 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Isn’t there a built in night light of some sort for guidance to the bathroom?  I am surprised that was overlooked. 

• Like 1

TeeRick, I don’t know that it is incense or how it is delivered to the air. Probably most people don’t mind it. Have you ever been in a hotel that had a scented lobby?  We stayed at the Hilton Aleph Curio in Rome and their lobby  had a more floral scent and it didn’t bother me at all. 

I would imagine that Celebrity would have assured that the Eden scent wouldn’t trigger allergies. Wouldn’t you think so?  My husband is totally fine with it. So, like I said about the IV chairs, we all have a different caboose. And we all have a different smelling apparatus!  🤗🤗

We found during the day Eden was normally OK but during and after the "Eden" show evenings the atmsosphere could be thick with the scented air. I was OK but my wife could only stand it for very short spells.  They pump smoke into the area to enhance the lighting effects and its scented.

RX302690crops.jpg

3 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Yeah... I remember sitting in bed and decided to try the phone ap.... hit the morning setting. I assumed that this would the lights would slowly increase in brightness.... did not expect the shade to come up! We were entering port... fortunately I was able to reverse it... but made a mental note for the future.

1 hour ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Isn’t there a built in night light of some sort for guidance to the bathroom?  I am surprised that was overlooked. 

There is under cabinet lighting. Very soft but sufficient. But I was outside the bathroom with the door closed, so it was dark. Plus I wear contacts and without them I am the proverbial bat. 

BDF01A71-EE6A-4C06-BDDA-C9852FB0AC10.jpeg

3 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Conversely we loved the sleep button which gave you a minute to get into bed before slowly dimming the lights out.

GeorgiaPeach51, Very much enjoying your review! Thank you! We just booked the Apex 10/22/20 crossing yesterday, so I'm caught up in the excitement of planning and researching all things Edge class and this is the perfect live review to keep me entertained :). We did not book an IV balcony, but instead just the little porthole balcony, of which - I think there are only a few. The #1 reason was that the "porthole" balcony was $1000 + less expensive than an obstructed IV on deck 6. If the price drops, we may consider. If you happen to score a peek into one of these style cabins - let me know! 🙂

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

There is under cabinet lighting. Very soft but sufficient. But I was outside the bathroom with the door closed, so it was dark. Plus I wear contacts and without them I am the proverbial bat. 

Is there a receptacle in the bathroom plug a nightlight into? - BZ

There is a built in night light mode.

Plugs in bthrm  are limited..Our toothbrush charger cord was too short from the receptacle  to  have it sit on the bthrm counter..left it on the desk and  we are  bringing  a battery one this time. .

Edited by hcat

7 minutes ago, Texed said:

We are on the Apex TA on Oct. 22, 2020 also.  Come join us on the roll call.  😊

Heading over there now 🙂

Looking forward to taking Apex across the Atlantic for her first time :)!

On 11/8/2019 at 9:21 AM, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Seems we never pass the future cruises area that it it not busy. And we are adding to it. We are booking a sky suite on Silhouette to Southampton next April. Will be interested to see a “revolution-ized” ship vs Edge.  And we have booked, for the first time, a return on QM2, just in Britannia, so we can check out Cunard. We’ve talked to several people on board who tried Cunard and really liked it. My husband doesn’t mind wearing a jacket and loves wearing his tux, so we will see!

We were on the QM2 holiday cruise in December. It was a wonderful experience being in the Princess Grille class, but I don't know if I would do it again. One of the bartenders in the Chart Room named Martines Rocha de Souza (think he goes by Martin) has written 2 books about his experience on the high seas and how he got there. They were selling them in the bookstore which has many fine books. I bought them and had him autograph them. Check it out if you get a chance.  Thanks for all of your posts. We are looking forward to our cruise on the Edge in January, followed by a longer one on the Reflection. We did Oceania Riviera to W. Caribbean in March and Azamara to Cuba last Thanksgiving. All of these were fine ships. I have never been on a cruise I didn't like. Number 76 coming up.