Upsell Offer - Pretty Steep

CATGUY7

11 hours ago, jgrant1701 said:

We got a ridiculous one as well. We booked a Cat# D4 Rear-facing balcony, and this was sent to us:

**INCREDIBLE UPGRADE OFFER *JUST FOR YOU!* Princess Cruises has selected you for this exclusive offer! Upgrade your BALCONY cabin to MINI SUITE on your November 30 2019 ROYAL PRINCESS SAILING! Enjoy a spacious mini suite. Including luxurious accommodations, a separate seating area with a sofa bed, bathroom with a combination tub and shower, 2 flat-panel televisions and a private balcony!! This special upgrade opportunity is available for just $139 USD/$201 CAD* per person additional

----- Our *Premium Deluxe* Balcony already has the extra couch. So we would lose our awesome rear-facing view on a balcony that's larger than the MiniSuite's, but gain another useless TV and a bathtub, AND have to pay $278 extra. Truly shameful. They'll hear about it after the cruise. I feel really bad for anyone that thinks they're getting a good deal with these 'exclusive offers'.

If that's a 7 day cruise, it's not a bad upsell price to go from a balcony to a mini.  Because you are already in a desirable cabin, it's not a good deal for you so you can simply ignore it.  That's the beauty of these things - we can all decide for ourselves if it's worth it or not.  I've happily taken several of these offers to go from a mini to a full suite, but when and if the math doesn't work for us, we will pass just as you have.

12 hours ago, jgrant1701 said:

We got a ridiculous one as well. We booked a Cat# D4 Rear-facing balcony, and this was sent to us:

**INCREDIBLE UPGRADE OFFER *JUST FOR YOU!* Princess Cruises has selected you for this exclusive offer! Upgrade your BALCONY cabin to MINI SUITE on your November 30 2019 ROYAL PRINCESS SAILING! Enjoy a spacious mini suite. Including luxurious accommodations, a separate seating area with a sofa bed, bathroom with a combination tub and shower, 2 flat-panel televisions and a private balcony!! This special upgrade opportunity is available for just $139 USD/$201 CAD* per person additional

----- Our *Premium Deluxe* Balcony already has the extra couch. So we would lose our awesome rear-facing view on a balcony that's larger than the MiniSuite's, but gain another useless TV and a bathtub, AND have to pay $278 extra. Truly shameful. They'll hear about it after the cruise. I feel really bad for anyone that thinks they're getting a good deal with these 'exclusive offers'.

We got the exact up sell offer back in October not worth it all to move from our deluxe balcony to the mini, plus the tub showers are the worst.  

1 hour ago, azbirdmom said:

If that's a 7 day cruise, it's not a bad upsell price to go from a balcony to a mini.  Because you are already in a desirable cabin, it's not a good deal for you so you can simply ignore it.  That's the beauty of these things - we can all decide for ourselves if it's worth it or not.  I've happily taken several of these offers to go from a mini to a full suite, but when and if the math doesn't work for us, we will pass just as you have.

Its a 5 day sailing 

Edited by Matco

On 11/22/2019 at 10:22 PM, jgrant1701 said:

We booked a Cat# D4 Rear-facing balcony, and this was sent to us:

I wonder how many people responded after waiting a day or two and found that the offer that was "just for you" was already taken by someone else.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing 🙂

How far out from the voyage did everyone receive their offers?

I wonder if this is just in the US? Im

in Australia and have a guarantee mini on Majestic in Feb. Still haven’t been allocated a particular room number yet 

Fingers crossed for upsell 🙂 

3 hours ago, Stevej88 said:

Thanks for sharing 🙂

How far out from the voyage did everyone receive their offers?

I wonder if this is just in the US? Im

in Australia and have a guarantee mini on Majestic in Feb. Still haven’t been allocated a particular room number yet 

Fingers crossed for upsell 🙂 

Ours was about 12 weeks prior to sailing. 

After 30 cruises with princess I have found that more up sells then ever and pricing is much higher then other lines as of late hope they change there ways. Just booked on another line almost same cruise drink package included and over 1000 dollars cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently received one of these offers from a premium OV to a balcony for $200 for a 5 night sailing.  I could have gotten the same upgrade and a choice of the balcony I wanted for $42 more at the time of booking.   Needless to say, I passed!  

I started booking directly with Princess because my preferred TA told me they didn't pass these offers along to their clients.  My first booking that I booked directly, we got a very decent upsell offer so I took it.  Looks like I will be going back to booking everything through that preferred TA.  Not always, but I usually just pick the exact room I want to stay in anyway.  

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 12:37 PM, Matco said:

Back in October we revived a up-sell offer for out 5 day on the Royal to go from our Deluxe Balcony to a Mini Suite  for $139pp not worth it to me at the time but after seeing some of these other offers maybe $139pp wasn't so bad, but from what I can remember at the time of booking a mini suite was only maybe 100-150 more than the deluxe balcony 

Last month I took an upsell from deluxe balcony to a full aft suite (with huge wrap around balcony) on Regal for $85/pp/day. I was super happy and loved the perks! Only disappointment was that they have stopped giving the extra cruise credit for being in a suite, even though you have to pay for the upsell. 

Funny...this was the first cruise I've ever booked directly with Princess AND the first upsell offer I've ever received...coincidence??

Edited by Go-Bucks!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:12 PM, memoak said:

I don’t suppose this was for a 28 day cruise ?  We usually get an offer at about $1,000 pp for 20 day cruises

For the 28 day Hawaii, Samoa and Tahiti cruise on Emerald in Feb the upsell offer was $1699 for on inside or outside obstructed to a balcony. Nobody is biting.

I received an upsell offer for our Sky Christmas cruise.  It was to move from a deluxe balcony to a mini suite for $399pp.  I did the comparison to see how much it would cost to book a mini suite outright and the upsell was about $500 cheaper so we took it.  There is a huge difference in cabin size and I am looking forward to a much larger cabin with a proper sofa and living room area, plus the full tub.  We had a mini on the Regal and it was extremely awesome.  To me as long as an upsell offer saves a good bit of money over booking the same cabin outright, it's a decent offer.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So we received a second upsell offer - same offer as the first.  $1699.00 p/p - Sky Princess 7 day.  I guess they are giving us a second chance to decline.   Holding out for the upgrade - lol.  

On 11/26/2019 at 12:27 PM, Barry H said:

For the 28 day Hawaii, Samoa and Tahiti cruise on Emerald in Feb the upsell offer was $1699 for on inside or outside obstructed to a balcony. Nobody is biting.

The offer we got this week for that same cruise was mini to full suite for $5999pp 1st and 2nd, $449pp 3rd and 4th

Edited by pms4104

On 11/26/2019 at 1:02 PM, Wonder18 said:

I noticed in these upsells offers princess is using US price and Canadian price. Why is Princess  using $1.45 for Canadian exchange . That is not the rate here in Canada.

Yes, it is ludicrous and I have posted a couple of times about this in 2019 here.  I would say that anyone receiving one should mention the issue to the Princess rep you contact to accept the offer.  Also, refuse to pay in CAD at 1.45 and insist on the USD.  

Actually, I imagine these generated emails are setup with some old out-of-date exchange rate no one is paying any attention to and it just plugs in the huge number.  I think when you call to accept and pay, and the booking is in CAD, they will convert the USD upsell amount to CAD at either the current Princess rate (1.30) or your booking rate.

We received our first upgrade offer by email yesterday for our 10 day on Crown in February...if you can call it an "offer".  

Offer was to upgrade from IB interior to a balcony for 1197 per person Canadian.  

We were not even tempted to accept the offer.  Hopefully they will send us another offer sometime in the future that is worthwhile.

thewhip