How safe is the safe? Summit specific.

Peter118

Also, is it large enough to fit an Ipad pro?

Was wondering if keeping valuables in the safe, particularly cash, is a good idea or bad.

Does one simply pay what I would guess will be a large ATM fee ($6.50) to grab cash as we go or should I have the confidence the safe will do what it is intended to do when we are off the ship and away from our room?

I guess there are 2 levels of protection, the locked entry door and then the locked safe coupled with Celebrity personnel who have access to the room being screened as trustworthy.

Guess I'm just curious what others have done and if an Ipad pro will not fit should I keep it home?

I was on the Millie in Sept after being revolutionized and my IPad Pro fit in the safe. They can’t lay down flat but can be standing up in the safe. We put two of them in there. We always use the safe leaving our wallets in there and jewellery. Have never had an issue.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Peter118 said:

Also, is it large enough to fit an Ipad pro?

Was wondering if keeping valuables in the safe, particularly cash, is a good idea or bad.

Does one simply pay what I would guess will be a large ATM fee ($6.50) to grab cash as we go or should I have the confidence the safe will do what it is intended to do when we are off the ship and away from our room?

I guess there are 2 levels of protection, the locked entry door and then the locked safe coupled with Celebrity personnel who have access to the room being screened as trustworthy.

Guess I'm just curious what others have done and if an Ipad pro will not fit should I keep it home?

Have you had issues before with X's safe or safes on any other ship?

So far, there have been no posts about safe issues that I can recollect.

As far as I-Pad Pro's go, I cannot answer that question, but someone will..

bon voyage

• Thanks 1

I have always used the safes on all X ships for passports, cash, credit cards, jewelry etc. with confidence. In the event that the safe battery dies the ship will not service it unless the passenger is present. As far as iPad, we've always left ours out without any issue. It is always advisable to use a screen lock when leaving out electronics like iPads and smart phones anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Never had a problem using the safe. If you forget the combination, or the battery dies which happened to us, you, security and possibly the room attendant have to be in the room to get it open.

I've had my battery die on the safe.   To fix I had to be present when Security and Technician came to repair.    I was required to also remove everything from the safe until they were completed.    Didn't take more than 5 minutes.

40 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Have you had issues before with X's safe or safes on any other ship?

So far, there have been no posts about safe issues that I can recollect.

As far as I-Pad Pro's go, I cannot answer that question, but someone will..

bon voyage

Issues before? No. I've never been on a cruise ship before...LOL.

and to your point since I understand the search function(s) on here, I have found there to be nothing on the subject which leads me to believe...the safe is safe 🙂 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter118 said:

and to your point since I understand the search function(s) on here, I have found there to be nothing on the subject which leads me to believe...the safe is safe 🙂 

As long as you lock it. 😀

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Peter118 said:

Welcome to cruising and X!

Yes, the safe is safe, to be sure.

bon voyage

• Thanks 1

We are on the Summit right now and as ALWAYS the safe is secure. iPads fit in this safe, but beware on the S and Edge class its hit or miss in size. Last month on the Reflection is an example of a smaller safe.

After nearly 40 X Cruises I have never heard of any safe security issues.

Hal

• Thanks 1

No issues putting CASH in the safe....I usual travel with a decent bankroll....I keep passports, wallet, CASH etc in the safe.  Usually leave a phone sitting out charging, have never traveled with a laptop.  That sounds like work...

We were on Summit a couple of weeks ago, always left a laptop, ipad and wedding ring (my wife doesn't like taking it to the beach) on the desk, and nothing went missing. 

Whichever you'll choose, it will be fine. 

Edited by wynnne
  • Thanks 1

On all of our cruises, NCL, RCI, Celebrity and Princess; have locked up passports, money, jewelry, licenses and have never had a problem.  The only problem we have had, [don't recall which ship], was the location of the safe in the closet; down low or poor lighting of the safe where I had to use a flashlight to see the numbers or call my wife. LOL!

To be honest about using safes, Ive put wallets, cash, CC’s, passports, etc in it and at times my iPad Pro but I’ve also left out my iPhone and IPad at times with no issues at all. The only issue I could possibly see with theft is when the SR is open during cleaning and someone (a passenger!) snuck in. The crew knows full well what would happen to them. With leaving ‘things’ out, I’ve never had an issue. So yes, put away valuables and iPad Pros fit on all Celebrity ships (I’ve now sailed all of them and waiting for Apex!). 

Luck on not being ripped off? I doubt it. There are issues on ships but theft isn’t one of them from my experience. I’m sure there are ‘theft stories’ but I have never seen one mentioned on CruiseCritic or heard one from other passengers. When in the Navy, thefts did occur, but the thief didn’t just do it once, but continued and would get caught. A confined place such as a ship with video cameras and so many crew around, petty theft is nearly impossible to pull off more than once or twice and that goes double on a cruise ship. 

Den

Whilst we have never had an issue with safes (or security of our rooms) we do tend to travel without too much cash or jewellery/watches which have a high value  to us in terms of cash or sentiment...This is a reflection of travel and ports of call than the ship. 

Our iPads are frequently left on charge when we are out for dinner, cameras in a drawer. Our safe is for credit cards, passports and a limited amount of cash. The amount of cash we take on holidays has diminished as the years have passed and credit cards have become more acceptable in more remote areas. 

Think about what you need cash for....Certainly some additional tips, the odd taxi....but if you prebook excursions on line or through Celebrity then that can be on your card, most drinks/meals on shore can be charged to your card...

Peter118, relax and enjoy your iPad Pro on board, take an appropriate amount of cash and remember we all pay for travel insurance so that in that scenario where you were unlucky enough to loose or have an item stolen then your do have cover....

Sincere best wishes for a fantastic cruise!l

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I always have either my MacBook Pro or my iPad Pro on all of my cruises, and I always leave them out, even on those ships with safes large enough to hold the iPad. 

We do the same.
The only time we locked up our electronic devices in the safe on a cruise ship was on our very first cruise, many years ago.

We quickly discovered what a pain it was to keep locking and unlocking the safe to keep putting things in and taking them out, so we stopped doing that.

Ever since, we have been leaving all electronics out in plain view on top of the desk or counter top or even on the couch (computers, cameras, phones) and have never had a problem.

We use the safe to store items like our passports, cash, credit cards.

If we were to bring along expensive jewelry, we would probably keep that in the safe as well, but we travel with costume jewelry only.  That eliminates any worries about possible loss or theft or insurance or customs hassles.

In all our years of travel, we have never had anything go missing from any hotel or ship safe, regardless of whether staying in a high end or cheap budget hotel or cabin, or anywhere in between.

Edited by varoo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pickels said:

.... The only problem we have had, [don't recall which ship], was the location of the safe in the closet; down low or poor lighting of the safe where I had to use a flashlight to see the numbers or call my wife. LOL!

Know what you mean.  We stayed at one hotel where the safe was at the bottom of the closet, down at floor level.  You practically needed to lie down flat on your stomach to access that safe.

But this reminds me of what is probably the best tip we ever received about using a safe on a ship.  It is to place all small, loose items you are putting in the safe inside a closed zip-lock bag. 

Items will shift around as the ship rocks, and some passengers have found small items inside their safe that were inadvertently overlooked and left behind by a previous occupant.

If you find small denomination coins in your safe however, they were probably left behind deliberately.

Like most others, we use the safe for cash, prescription bottles, credit cards, etc. but always left laptops out in a relatively unobtrusive spot.    Our last cruise, on the Summit in September, I stored my small laptop on the top shelf over the desk, where it was almost invisible.    One morning, after breakfast we gathered up laptop, Kindles, etc. and made our way up to Sky Lounge to relax.    When I opened my laptop, I immediately got a message that my device was locked due to too many invalid login attempts.    I had used it the night before, shut it down, then put it on the shelf.    We were only out of the room long enough for breakfast, but somehow, someone tried to get on to my laptop.

We debated about reporting the incident, and probably should have, but we were confident that our room steward would not have been the one to attempt the login.    We also knew that he would automatically be suspected and questioned and didn't really want that to happen.    It was a wake-up call to not get too complacent.