What would YOU suggest for a Platinum/Diamond gift ?

audcc77

With the recent chatter about the P/D gift, perhaps we could make suggestions of what would be a nice gesture from Carnival.   I heard that Carnival reads this board sometimes. 

While I do appreciate the loyalty gifts, some of them are kind of silly and I suspect some just throw them away when they get home.  I just bring them back home and put in the Goodwill box or leave it somewhere on the ship.  If we just left it in the room, these would be re-gifted over and over and they’d never run out.  

A lot of people just want the free drink coupon to be available anytime/anywhere and I’m all for that.  However, if Carnival wants to hand out items to create “buzz” about its brand when passengers arrive home, which I believe is at least part of the reason for the gifts, then let’s hear some suggestions.

Here are mine:

* key chain

* nice pen

* reusable insulated square bottomed grocery bag

* bottle opener

* salty snacks bag

* ear plugs / sleep mask – for when cabin mates come in at 2 a.m.

* just do away with it.  Saves the landfills, money for shareholders, time for the cabin stewards.

Other suggestions?   

I think they should have a selection of Platinum and Diamond gifts in the fun shop they can select from -- perhaps 25 different items.  Then a person can select what they want, or just give it a pass.  That way, they don't get redundant items when they take 2 or 3 cruises in a year that may just end in the trash.  

• Like 11

Well for starters, I would suggest that they stop giving Platinum and Diamond gifts for every single cruise that Platinums and Diamonds go on. With the number of Plats & Diamonds increasing every year, it's becoming more and more expensive of a benefit to maintain, evident by the fact that the gifts have become "cheaper" (for lack of a better word), and people are appreciating them less.  I think that they should, instead, give a really nice gift to someone on their first Platinum cruise, and an even nicer gift when someone makes Diamond.  It would be a one-time only thing for when someone reaches these milestones.

If they are worried about current Plats/Diamonds feeling left out, they can give them the same gifts once, on their first cruise after making this change to the VIFP program.  But this way, they will cut down the overall expense while still putting value into the gifts.  I would rather get one really nice Platinum gift then to get 17 cheap gifts during all of my cruises as a Platinum; or worst, none at all.  Which is what I fear is the direction that Carnival is heading towards. 

Edited by bakersdozen12
  • Like 6

If it needed to be something with the Carnival logo, then I would use a towel, blanket, or key chain.  I like the idea of choosing a gift.  Maybe they could have a table in the Platinum area before boarding where people could choose something or nothing as they board.  That would probably save a lot of money because some people will opt out.  What I would really prefer is a free drink coupon.

I agree with some of the above ideas:  Free drinks or OBC

Perhaps on a sliding scale; the more days, the more benefit.

The program is supposed to reward you for being a frequent customer.  I would prefer a discount over trinkets.  With OBC I could choose to buy a keychain, lanyard, or blanket.

Drinks are free at the past guest reception, but would prefer to have my free drinks on my own schedule

Edited by emceejay
content
  • Like 1

From both a stockholder and passenger perspective, I think they should eliminate the D&P gift. As frequently mentioned on this and other sites, the gifts have gotten more and more inexpensive. With the large and ever increasing numbers of D&Ps, common sense dictates that Carnival has to reduce the cost of the gift.

I do like Bakersdozen idea of a nicer gift for your first Platinum and Diamond cruise. You could also possibly extend this to giving a gift for someone’s first Red and Gold cruise too.  If Carnival wants to increase focus on developing loyalty to their cruiseline, giving more incentives like a free gift to Red and Gold passengers would support that. In most situations, by the time someone reaches Platinum, and especially Diamond, they have shown they are pretty loyal to Carnival. 

• Like 1

I'm on the Conquest now.  The Plat gift we received was a 8 X 10 glossy of the Mardi Gras.  Totally worthless to 99% of most cruisers and will, most assuredly, end up in the trash during, or at the end of, the cruise.

I think they just end the program.  It's obvious Carnival is NOT going to give anything of value, so that pretty much eliminates free internet, discounts off drink programs, etc.  The program, in it's current state, is only irritating (IMHO) their most loyal cruisers, so just end the program and put an end to the needless irritation.

Garnett

First off a comment on the list that audcc77 posted. Anyone of those items would be a nice gift. Been on 5 cruises at Platinum status I received a Platinum pin, a Carnival night light, a Carnival luggage tag, a  Carnival fold-able duffel bag (best one ever) and a pair of Carnival head phone. For those who remember head phones are thing we used to listen to music back in the 70's.  We have to remember Carnival is in the business making money not giving it away. Everyone loves free stuff especially free drinks. I think priority boarding, tendering, better seating at the shows, debarking and free laundry service is plenty. That's just me. Have fun on you future cruises.

As part of the check-in process Carnival can present 3-5 gift suggestions for D/P guests.  The eligible guest can then check off which gift they would enjoy.  Personally, I'd like to see free internet for the entire cruise or a daily drink coupon that can be used at any time.

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

From both a stockholder and passenger perspective, I think they should eliminate the D&P gift. As frequently mentioned on this and other sites, the gifts have gotten more and more inexpensive. With the large and ever increasing numbers of D&Ps, common sense dictates that Carnival has to reduce the cost of the gift.

I do like Bakersdozen idea of a nicer gift for your first Platinum and Diamond cruise. You could also possibly extend this to giving a gift for someone’s first Red and Gold cruise too.  If Carnival wants to increase focus on developing loyalty to their cruiseline, giving more incentives like a free gift to Red and Gold passengers would support that. In most situations, by the time someone reaches Platinum, and especially Diamond, they have shown they are pretty loyal to Carnival. 

We might have a winner

• Like 1

2 hours ago, N7786W Flyer said:

I'm on the Conquest now.  The Plat gift we received was a 8 X 10 glossy of the Mardi Gras.  Totally worthless to 99% of most cruisers and will, most assuredly, end up in the trash during, or at the end of, the cruise.

I think they just end the program.  It's obvious Carnival is NOT going to give anything of value, so that pretty much eliminates free internet, discounts off drink programs, etc.  The program, in it's current state, is only irritating (IMHO) their most loyal cruisers, so just end the program and put an end to the needless irritation.

Garnett

You might get your wish

There is no reason that any of the suggested items could not be part of the 25 item selection.  I'm assuming that carnival spends no more than $5 for a gift.  I'm also going to assume that Carnival does not want to offer a gift that competes with the items people normally purchase, like drinks or internet or apparel or pixels, etc.  So let's come up with an updated list of $5 items using everyone's suggestions so far that doesn't compete:

1.  Ticket for a Funship cocktail on Embarkation day -- (OK, this competes... but I recall my first cruise in 1987 with Carnival that every passenger received a Funship cocktail on Embarkation Day).

2.  Key chain 
  3.  Nice pen 
  4.  Reusable cloth grocery bag ( Carnival would get free advertising if they put their logo on the bag ) 
  5.  Bottle opener 
  6.  Salty snacks bag 
  7.  Ear plugs

8.  Sleep mask 

9.  Luggage strap with Carnival logo available in several bright colors

10.  Blanket

11.  Towel

12.  $5 off item in Fun Shop

13.  Night Light

14.  Lanyard
15.  Luggage Tags
16.  Fold-able duffel bag
17.  Carnival head phone

18.  Metal drink straws

19.  Silicone drink straws

• Like 3

Good idea. Write that in the review when they email you .

15 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

I think they should have a selection of Platinum and Diamond gifts in the fun shop they can select from -- perhaps 25 different items.  Then a person can select what they want, or just give it a pass.  That way, they don't get redundant items when they take 2 or 3 cruises in a year that may just end in the trash.  

1.) Power Bank: https://www.wsapromos.com/p/ZKUBE-JVROI/iboost-exec-engraved-power-bank-with-gift-box

2.)Triple Function Ball Point Pen: https://www.wsapromos.com/p/EEWFB-MLEFT/st.-james-tm-triple-function-pen

3.) All Purpose Water Resistant Carrying Case: https://www.wsapromos.com/p/KMUXD-LAHMD/truckee-all-purpose-water-resistant-cell-phone--accessories-carrying-case

4.) USB Flash Drive: https://www.wsapromos.com/p/DJRXH-KAVUL/8gb-usb-flash-drive-keychain

5.) Wall calendar with the entire Carnival Fleet pictured

6.) Polyester Drawstring Back Pack: https://www.wsapromos.com/p/GETDC-MGPMC/14-x-18-polyester-drawstring-backpack

7.) Mini LED Flashlight with key clip: https://www.wsapromos.com/p/OKRWF-HHRFJ/mini-aluminum-led-flashlight-with-key-clip

The possibilities are endless. The one's listed are for example purposes only. Some are cost prohibitive, like the USB Flash Drive which I like....BUT there are less expensive one's out there. I like the Wall Calendar showing the entire Carnival Fleet(couldn't find any examples though)

• Like 2

I think it would be nice if they gave three drink vouchers per night (maybe just for Diamond). This is what Royal does plus they are able to go to the Diamond lounge for free drinks every night. Diamond on Royal is 80 points, Platinum on Carnival is 75, Royals perks really are much much better, not to mention balcony discounts, 24 hour free internet and...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bakersdozen12 said:

Well for starters, I would suggest that they stop giving Platinum and Diamond gifts for every single cruise that Platinums and Diamonds go on. With the number of Plats & Diamonds increasing every year, it's becoming more and more expensive of a benefit to maintain, evident by the fact that the gifts have become "cheaper" (for lack of a better word), and people are appreciating them less.  I think that they should, instead, give a really nice gift to someone on their first Platinum cruise, and an even nicer gift when someone makes Diamond.  It would be a one-time only thing for when someone reaches these milestones.

I like this idea. Keeps the program going without too much fuss as long as they give a nice gift. The 8x10 photo of a photoshopped ship was just a slap in the face. Very small minority of people will actually keep that.