News on the Westerdam

dillpickle48

On 2/6/2020 at 12:17 PM, BarbarianPaul said:

They cut short a visit to Hong Kong that was originally supposed to be an overnight to one day on Feb. 1, so obviously HA knew, as did the world, that Hong Kong was a problematic port. Yet they still embarked about 800 passengers who could conceivably have been exposed to the virus. 

At this point while I think HAL made a bad judgement (and I am sure they would agree) so glad to hear the news that passengers have a date certain to disembark and fly home from Thailand. All even better news being reported that all are well....hope everyone stays that way!!

Edited by kathy49
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, iancal said:

I think that this talk about litigation, class action litigation, and ‘panic’ is silly.  Not unexpected because America is such a litigious country.

Despite what anyone thinks about whether it was or was not prudent to dock in Hong Kong, I believe that HAL will do the right thing for their customers.  

Corporate wheels can grind a little slower than people may like.  Partially, in my experience, because everything has to be vetted by legal once the executives have selected a course of action/resolution.

You're right about corporate wheels. And I think at Seattle it was "all hands" to working out itinerary changes as ports started closing off to cruises. Has anyone ever had their GPS go nuts and start barking orders? I nearly threw a Garmin out the window a few years ago. "Turn left after the bridge" (but there is no bridge) "Turn right in 50 yards" (but there is no road 50 yards ahead). It must have been like that in Seattle. 

I know some people want to know asap what "compensation" they will get. But knowing where to take the ship had to be HAL's primary concern. 

• Like 1

Now HAL needs to thank lucky stars they get out of there with a healthy ship and cancel all other Asia itineraries for this year so that people can get on with their lives and make other plans for their spring travels.  Many take vacation time from work and would probably like to happily use that time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, plettza said:

You're right, I don't have those kinds of health problems (except a heart condition) but enlighten me...  If Westerdam was set to arrive in Japan and now it's going to dock in Vietnam or Singapore, travel times via airplane would more or less be the same.  It's not like Westerdam will suddenly pop-up in Dunedin, New Zealand and now passengers are faced with an extra 21-hour flight to wherever.  If Westerdam were still at sea in a 2-weeks' time, then yeah, the narrative would change.

I think a future cruise credit and refund is more than generous. But how’d you like to save up for an exotic cruise, look forward to it for months, than have almost every port cancelled while you cruise around aimlessly in circles, day after day, the trip cancelled, just waiting to hear who will let the ship actually dock? Does that sound like fun?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ski ww said:
  • We've been hearing regular up dates in the news about the other two ships daily but have heard nothing in the news about the Westerdam. Glad to hear they finally have it figured out. 

Allan, CBC TV news station has been reporting daily on the Westerdam.  They have a couple of Canadians on board or are reporting to them as well by skype, video,, pics and phone.

7 minutes ago, kazu said:

Allan, CBC TV news station has been reporting daily on the Westerdam.  They have a couple of Canadians on board or are reporting to them as well by skype, video,, pics and phone.

We watch Global, I guess that's why we missed it. I was starting to think about the Flying Dutchman, she was cursed to roam the ocean forever.

51 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Now HAL needs to thank lucky stars they get out of there with a healthy ship and cancel all other Asia itineraries for this year so that people can get on with their lives and make other plans for their spring travels.  Many take vacation time from work and would probably like to happily use that time.

We are booked on the March 27 cruise and want to know in short notice if HAL will cancel our cruise so we

can make other arrangements for our holiday.

japan cruise is on top of our list but health and safety are more importent.

19 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

HAL is being more than fair for those on the Westerdam currently,  for some a 100% refund plus huge FCC will not make up for a spoiled vacation, but for something that is not under HAL's control this is very fair.

“Not under Hal’s control” is debatable. Hong Kong was under an official state of emergency, the people not allowed to go to work, every New Year’s celebration cancelled, every tourist attraction closed, all citizens told not to congregate in large groups, but they still made the decision to embark 800 passengers. The action wasn’t against any guidelines, or illegal, but they knew it wasn’t perfectly safe...if it was, they wouldn’t have cancelled the overnight. But they decided to stop in Hong Kong anyway.

Couldn’t one argue that as experienced travel professionals they could have been proactive, shown more foresight, and bypassed the port altogether? Yes, the embarking passengers would have been upset (cruise cancelled), as well as the disembarking passengers forced to get off instead in Manila, but this option was no doubt discussed and discarded, probably because they would have lost money. 

I know, I could very well be wrong, and there are those who say hindsight is 20/20 etc. etc,  but since the cruise line has been in operation for over 100 years, and you can never be too cautious or too safe when it comes to your paying passengers,  one could argue that they might have been better than others at making tough decisions and anticipating problems. Maybe this is asking too much. Maybe not.

• Like 5

So, do you think the 100% refund is for the Feb. 1 cruise, or the Feb. 15th cruise?  Our friends were booked on both.  And someone said on there 15th roll call that it would only be the base fare refunded, not the port fees and taxes, which evidently were high.

Edited by Vict0riann

9 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

So, do you think the 100% refund is for the Feb. 1 cruise, or the Feb. 15th cruise?  Our friends were booked on both.  And someone said on there 15th roll call that it would only be the base fare refunded, not the port fees and taxes, which evidently were high.

I have never known HAL not to refund port fees.  Over the years I have missed quite a few ports and they always refund.  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I have never known HAL not to refund port fees.  Over the years I have missed quite a few ports and they always refund.  

Sounded strange to me, too.  I would have thought that would be the first thing they would refund!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CarlaV said:

We are booked on the March 27 cruise and want to know in short notice if HAL will cancel our cruise so we

can make other arrangements for our holiday.

japan cruise is on top of our list but health and safety are more importent.

The March 14 Westerdam 14 day sailing around Japan is selling for $668 in a balcony from one of the online TA's and $800 on HAL website. I am so tempted, but the airfare to Japan would be more than the cruise.

11 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

Just saw this online, I guess it has become a "cruise to nowhere"  https://news.yahoo.com/floating-around-ocean-cruise-ship-213143423.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=1_04

This has now been resolved, as reported in post #369 in this thread. Westerdam is headed to Thailand to disembark her passengers.

2 hours ago, BarbarianPaul said:

I think a future cruise credit and refund is more than generous. But how’d you like to save up for an exotic cruise, look forward to it for months, than have almost every port cancelled while you cruise around aimlessly in circles, day after day, the trip cancelled, just waiting to hear who will let the ship actually dock? Does that sound like fun?

How would HAL know that Japan etc (NON Chinese ports) would be closed once they left Hong Kong.  At the time of embarkation things were were in a period of flux.  During the same time period airlines were changing what flights were still a go and which ones were being cancelled to various countries.

The State Department, HAL and I am guessing the Netherlands were in active discussion with various Gov't entities to find a place to dock and disembark passengers.  HAL couldn't show up at a port and dock.  The local governing authority has to give them permission.

Based on the reports on people actually onboard ship while missing the ports was disappointing they seem to be enjoying themselves.

They are getting refunds along with FCC, so they are being made whole.  They just need to plan a trip again.

I have been on trips where things have not gone as planned.  What was my compensation...NADA.

• Like 3

I think with the information at hand at the time, it would have been judicious to scrap the cruise.  Many of us lay people thought to scrap the cruise and HAL should know better than us.

That said, the compensation for those onboard does seem more than adequate and it's nice that the passengers have been treated so well while onboard -- above and beyond, really, which is why we love HAL so much, their excellent staff and crew members.

I just hope this cruise to nowhere ends soon and that the passengers and crew remain safe and healthy.  It's depressing that we even have to sit and do risk analysis on cruising -- something that we all love so much.  Gloomy spring for DH and I with no Japan to look forward to.  😥

• Like 1

Glad I found this forum.   We are on the Westerdam May 10 for an Alaskan Cruise.   I have to imagine that HAL is trying to come up with contingencies and what might happen, because the ship was just cleared to land, and they must be very very behind schedule.

Has anyone been through something like this?   May 10th is exactly 3 months away...should we be worried about delays and cancelations?

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I think the person on the roll call misunderstood.  How can there be port fees if the ship doesn't get to port?  We just received a nice refund of all port fees for missing our last port on the Zaandam last month.

• Like 1