LATEST Carnival stance per John Healf

Eli_6

1 hour ago, bury me at sea said:

Neither do I.  I apologize that I phrased it so poorly and meant no offense.

bmas, it takes a big person(in stature) to apologize for a comment made in haste AND utter frustration. I share your frustration. Thank you. 

• Like 4

DD is 33 and has been diagnosed with an auto immune syndrome which causes blood clotting and requires lifelong anticoagulant treatment.  We sailed on Leap Day, but with the current restrictions, she would not be able to board now.  

We'll wait it out and sail again when it's safe for her to do so.  DH & I will be 60 in the next couple of months, so we're

in a higher risk category, too.  

I hate when I see folks like bury me at sea so discouraged.  It doesn't seem fair to be told you can't make your own decisions about the risks you are willing to take.  Hang in there and stay positive.  I've learned so much from CC seasoned cruisers and look forward to hearing about your newest adventures when this all passes.  

After reading the restrictions that Carnival has implemented, it looks to me like the ships will sail empty.  If that's the case, why not follow RCI, Viking, Virgin, and the others that have shut down to just shut down too.  Either way, they are going to lose money.

I think most people would rather know ahead of time that they couldn't sail rather than flying or driving to their port only to find out that they aren't allowed on their ship.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Loopdan said:

So what if one person in a cabin has a health condition and has to cancel, but the other person still wants to go on the cruise solo? 

Any idea how Carnival handles that?

I imagine you would have to pay the single solo rate (ie, double per person fare). It's really no different than if someone decided to book a solo cruise right now - they'd pay for the cabin, not half a cabin. 

9 hours ago, Rudyard said:

We sail on the 21st and my DW has one of the issues that would prevent us from boarding. She's in pretty decent health and her condition is controlled by meds and very rarely gives her a problem. She feels horrible about this and even tried convincing me to cruise without her. I told her that's not happening and we'd wait until after the 16th and see where Carnival goes from there. I'm hoping that maybe for cruises after the 16th they'll agree to accept a doctor's note as hers has already given her the green light to go. 

Guests in the same cabin can get the same refund as the person not able to cruise.

Thanks for the link. I filled it out even though we don't sail until April, DH has been recently hospitalized, so we would be denied boarding anyway. I chose Option 1. Once you fill it out, here is the response: 

Thank you for completing this form. We will process your request and send you a confirmation, which includes a link to redeem your future cruise/onboard credit. If you elect a refund, please note it will be processed in approximately 90 days. 

I had already booked a replacement cruise in June last night, and was trying to get through on the phone to cancel and apply the FCC to that. I'll post back any response I get. 

I am due to sail this Monday(16) on the Dream, but received that email yesterday around 4PM. There is no way I can get to my family DR with an appointment, run all the tests he will want to do, especially the blood test which I would have to schedule, and wait 2 to 3 days for those results. So, clicked on the link that was in the email and cancelled there. 

The case for me is that I'm 73 and healthy, but without the letter from my DR stating my condition, they said I would be denied.

When I log in to my account on Carnival, it shows me booked like before. When I go to the place to cancel it shows the amount that I would be penalized if I cancel, so obviously, there hasn't been enough time for the linked form info get plugged back into my account on line. 

Still, in the middle of this crazy panic there hasn't been anymore issues on the cruise ships.

11 minutes ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

Thanks for the link. I filled it out even though we don't sail until April, DH has been recently hospitalized, so we would be denied boarding anyway. I chose Option 1. Once you fill it out, here is the response: 

Thank you for completing this form. We will process your request and send you a confirmation, which includes a link to redeem your future cruise/onboard credit. If you elect a refund, please note it will be processed in approximately 90 days. 

I had already booked a replacement cruise in June last night, and was trying to get through on the phone to cancel and apply the FCC to that. I'll post back any response I get. 

THREE Months for a refund?? Holy crap.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I have asthma and I fall into a risk category. We don't sail until October, so I'm going to go right on planning this cruise as if nothing is changing. If things are still completely fouled up in October, we probably have a lot more things to worry about than going on a cruise.

I hear you. We're cruising (maybe?) late September. Like you said, if there's still problems by then, there's bigger fish to fry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

You booked a replacement in June 2020 or 2021? I have a booking in June 2020 and worried about that one also 

That's jumping to conclusions.   Carnival has 2 options: 1) place restrictions on travelers who are most likely to develop severe complications to the unprecedented virus, placing undue burden on the cruise ship to provide care or interruption for all passengers; 2) cancel all cruises until further notice.  The restricted passengers will not be cruising either way, so why be difficult?  Think about someone other than yourself and sit this one out.  I'm sure you don't appreciate my response,  but the fact of the matter is that getting my way isn't more important than other people and if I was in a position that could impact other people negatively, AND I'm even being compensated to do so, I would do it.  When my kids would cry in church..I left.  Nobody brought the sermon to the lobby.  When my kids threw a tantrum in a restaurant...I left.  The staff didn't bring dinner to my car.  When my kids get overwhelmed standing in lines at a theme park, I leave.  I don't expect a refund or a separate line for parents.  2 of my children are autistic, so technically, I could justify that they have as much right to be in those places as others.  But then, I try to be decent and think of everyone affected,  not just myself. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, sabres431 said:

I have well controlled type 2 diabetes.  How would they know?

Ditto for my husband. Oral meds only. We would not disclose it on the form. ALso, Type 2 is not considered autoimmune - just type 1.

They really should add a disclaimer to the form that if you knowingly do not disclose accurate information and you get sick, they are not held liable for providing treatment.   Also, if you cause others to get sick because you cruised and put others at risk because you lied on the form, you are personally responsible for the fallout.  If you get the virus,  it will be discovered that you lied on the form since it's being tracked by the CDC, and therefore,  the burden rests with the traveler.

Edited by happylittlefamily
Add
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, happylittlefamily said:

They really should add a disclaimer to the form that if you knowingly do not disclose accurate information and you get sick, they are not held liable for providing treatment.   Also, if you cause others to get sick because you cruised and put others at risk because you lied on the form, you are personally responsible for the fallout.  If you get the virus,  it will be discovered that you lied on the form since it's being tracked by the CDC, and therefore,  the burden rests with the traveler.

I don’t understand why all the complaints. I do understand the short notice for the new restrictions on cruises gr dskng this weekend . I’m sure getting turned away at port is no fun . But  I’m sure the cruise lines are only trying to protect people from getting seriously sick .. those that are comprised already , young and old . Everything will go back to normal once this is over and the restrictions will be history . I sail in June and if this is still spreading , I would cancel vs bringing anything home to my husband, who is a type 2 diabetic 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, UrbishN said:

I don’t understand why all the complaints. I do understand the short notice for the new restrictions on cruises gr dskng this weekend . I’m sure getting turned away at port is no fun . But  I’m sure the cruise lines are only trying to protect people from getting seriously sick .. those that are comprised already , young and old . Everything will go back to normal once this is over and the restrictions will be history . I sail in June and if this is still spreading , I would cancel vs bringing anything home to my husband, who is a type 2 diabetic 

Exactly!  It costs the company more to have to deny boarding than to just let everyone board.  They are just trying to do what's best to keep people safe.   Sad that some think they are entitled and refuse to appreciate the gesture of goodwill being extended.   I will definitely cruise again with Carnival and hope the entire industry rebounds quickly. 

• Like 4

Does this 70 "fit to sail" letter have to contain certain parameters. In other words, can a short memo-sized statement from one's doctor saying that their patient is "fit to sail" be adequate ? Thinking about jumping on some of these bargain cruises (just got off one), but don't want to be stopped at the pier flaunted by some rule based on my 80 years of existence. 🙂

28 minutes ago, glrounds said:

Does this 70 "fit to sail" letter have to contain certain parameters. In other words, can a short memo-sized statement from one's doctor saying that their patient is "fit to sail" be adequate ? Thinking about jumping on some of these bargain cruises (just got off one), but don't want to be stopped at the pier flaunted by some rule based on my 80 years of existence. 🙂

Gl, there is an example ot the 'fit to sail', doctors' letter that someone posted on the forum last night. It was a sample from RCCL. I don't know which thread though. :classic_unsure:

34 minutes ago, glrounds said:

If it has his name and MD after it and he signs it you are good.

20 hours ago, princess76021 said:

How do you acquire this letter? Cruising in 2 weeks! Need to make Dr appointment

Thank you.

I called Carnival this morning and asked if it was a special form I needed. They said “no”. It is just a letter from your health care provider that you are fit to sail. My hubby is 70 years old and needs to get one. Our cruise is April 5.

Agree. Like the jet blue passenger who just got barred from the airline for life for being selfishly stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 2