ECLIPSE DENIED BY SANTIAGO PORT

Beachin2

1 minute ago, baabtx said:

My best friend and his wife are on this sailing (we almost went with them), they said that the mood on the ship is generally good and since they've gotten their luggage back they will probably be on board for a bit.  I do understand that the lines for flights at the Santiago Airport are about 8 hours long.  Heck, might be better to be at sea than fight that mess at present.  He did indicate that nobody on the ship is ill...

Are they able to move freely about this ship as normal?  Or are they social distancing like here on land?

13 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Are they able to move freely about this ship as normal?  Or are they social distancing like here on land?

As far as I can tell from hearing from him, they are able to move about the ship freely.  He posted a pic to me last night of an ocean view from the Dining Room.  Just heard from him this a.m. - breakfast done, heading to the Gym to workout.

Celebrity Eclipse.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I wonder if the San Antonio port can send out smaller boats carrying essentials and provisions to Eclipse while in Limbo?

I've wondered the same thing?  I'll find out.

An Update from a friend regarding provisioning this a.m.

"not yet. They are still trying get permission to disembark in Chile. The Captain said yesterday that we had permission to go to the dock for provisions but we haven’t done that yet."

Don't head north to Peru.  The Peruvian government just shutdown Peru last night. No flights in or out of the country, no internal travel, no restaurants, no, no ,no!  Peru closed schools, work etc. and explained the strategy was to try and prevent another Italy, but Peruvians interpreted it to be a vacation and started partying, traveling, beach etc.-exactly what the government told them NOT to do!

1 hour ago, baabtx said:

As far as I can tell from hearing from him, they are able to move about the ship freely.  He posted a pic to me last night of an ocean view from the Dining Room.  Just heard from him this a.m. - breakfast done, heading to the Gym to workout.

Celebrity Eclipse.jpg

Your friends are making the best of it......Under other conditions I'd be envious! 

• Like 2

On 3/15/2020 at 1:46 PM, Margarita Jane said:

These are difficult times. I hope all travelers are able to make it home, safe, healthy, and soon.

I am with you on this comment. I would also like to add this: I hope they will have a great cruise no matter the curcumstances. Even if all the ports get delayed and they will be left on board with themselves I hope that instead of panicing, the crew will open a container with sparkling wine for the passangers to have fun and enjoy their stay. This is how I see it. Maybe I am a bit old school on this one but the journey must be enjoyable in any circumstances

• Like 1

12 hours ago, az_tchr said:

People can travel to Europe. Just not from Europe to USA unless American.  The are few flights going anyplace.and after Monday with no more UK/Ireland allowed to fly to US - fewer passengers.

The problem is that airlines have started cancelling flights. I believe Delta is ceasing all service to Europe this week. 

from CNN Travel Multiple cruise ships are left stranded as coronavirus cases increase

The Celebrity Eclipse is anchored in San Antonio, Chile. Celebrity Cruises is working with government officials to provide a controlled disembarkation plan to make sure guests have a way to leave the country, a spokesperson said.

Edited by gerelmx

1 hour ago, WonderMan3 said:

The problem is that airlines have started cancelling flights. I believe Delta is ceasing all service to Europe this week. 

I’m on the Eclipse. Celebrity indicated charter flights will be provided if commercial flights are not available. Celebrity is compiling the air travel info for every passenger and Flights By Celebrity is engaged to figure out the logistics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm onboard the Eclipse. They made us fill out this online urgent information form today to indicate where we live and the final destination airport. One novelty is that if we don't get approved to debark today we're leaving Chile to an unspecified port. Peru, Ecuador and Colombia are all closed to cruise ships. Panama is the closest that isn't closed. Considering that we've wasted two days, I wonder why they didn't immediately go to San Diego since no one is infected in the ship.

Edited by El turista

Officers on the Eclipse this afternoon say they are developing contingency plans to charter aircraft to get folks to gateway cities on their own continent.

As of now, still circling offshore, all air reservations are essentially blown up.

May need to send out for more beer (just kidding).

5 minutes ago, El turista said:

Considering that we've wasted two days, I wonder why they didn't take us to San Diego since no one is infected in the ship.

If they go to San Diego, you could get out, but everyone else from Europe/UK can't enter US.

13 minutes ago, lostchild said:

If they go to San Diego, you could get out, but everyone else from Europe/UK can't enter US.

Do they? I thought the ban was for non-US citizens that were in the Schengen area/UK/Ireland 14 days before arrival to the US. We've been outside of that area for 16 days so far.

Edited by El turista
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, El turista said:

Do they? I thought the ban was for non-US citizens that were in the Schengen area/UK/Ireland 14 days before arrival to the US. We've been outside of that area for 16 days so far.

Probably okay then... didn't realized you guys been on the cruise that long.   Although it may not be ideal for them even if they could get to San Diego.  Flights to Europe from US are harder and harder to get, but it is probably happening everywhere.

We are on the Eclipse now. We are free to move around the ship, have free internet and a free bar. We are still sailing in circles and can now see another cruise ship circling with us could well be the Azamara ship. If not allowed into port this evening I think we will be moving to a different port.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Here is a thought.

Port in Chile and let off thier citizens and bring on fuel and provisions. 

Head north and let folks off in their own countries.  

The ship needs to end up in America and Canada anyway...

Ever thought about running for President?  We are now joined by Azamara Pursuit.  Hope we don't run into one another.

3 hours ago, gerelmx said:

from CNN Travel Multiple cruise ships are left stranded as coronavirus cases increase

The Celebrity Eclipse is anchored in San Antonio, Chile. Celebrity Cruises is working with government officials to provide a controlled disembarkation plan to make sure guests have a way to leave the country, a spokesperson said.

CNN is WRONG!  We are NOT anchored.  We are sailing in a rectangular pattern which my DH has captured on cell phone.  We are hoping the unsympathetic guys in Chile once more refuse us as we will be sailing north.  There are NO sick people on this ship.  

3 hours ago, Beachin2 said:

May need to send out for more beer (just kidding).

Who are you anyway? You are so funny.  Do you frequent Al Baccio?  Maybe we can have a much needed laugh there.  Yes, they are running out of stuff.  Do we need to start hoarding toilet paper in case we are on here for a 14 day quarantine, even though there are no sick people on here?😀

Edited by TeaBag

I can confirm we are not anchored. Captain Leo is keeping us well informed and giving regular updates. As far as we know Chile are still refusing to let us dock. All relevant embassies know about our situation. Celebrity have confirmed that they will take care of all our flight arrangements once we know where we can disembark.