What are the chances of more Princess ships in the Caribbean this summer?

MaryBethV

We have to reschedule our Spring Break cruise at some point and school schedules pretty much dictate when we can go with our kids. The only Princess ship in the Caribbean this summer is the Caribbean Princess (unless I'm missing something). We really loved the Sky in February and were wondering if there is any chance that Princess would leave the Sky in the Caribbean or move another ship to that area so passengers trying to reschedule their vacations to this summer would have some options?

It will be interesting to see what the schedules look like in May.  However, someone who just came off the Sky posted this:

video board by the elevators show -- " Day 1 , May 17  Copenhagen 

I'm due to pay for my 26 day Grand Adventure in April, glad the Europe season seems to be on as planned.  Can't wait to cruise on the Sky, I love the Royal class ships.  Although we all know these things can change.

49 minutes ago, MaryBethV said:

We have to reschedule our Spring Break cruise at some point and school schedules pretty much dictate when we can go with our kids. The only Princess ship in the Caribbean this summer is the Caribbean Princess (unless I'm missing something). We really loved the Sky in February and were wondering if there is any chance that Princess would leave the Sky in the Caribbean or move another ship to that area so passengers trying to reschedule their vacations to this summer would have some options?

IMO if things get back to running fairly normally I think the ships/schedules would stay the same in the Caribbean.

I guess time will tell.

I think that the chances are fairly good.  I expect the "crisis" to go on for another 2-4 weeks.  I am hopeful that things should get back to normal by late Spring.  Certainly would consider a Summer Cruise.  I would however, avoid Europe and Asia at this time.

Personally I think there will be more ships there.  As of now it appears that the Alaska cruise season may be a bust with Canada not allowing any ships with over 500 passengers to enter any Canadian ports.  JMHO

• Like 2

On 3/15/2020 at 9:01 AM, MaryBethV said:

Usually during the summer months only the Caribbean Princess is cruising from Fort Lauderdale. No other Princess ships. It might change once they start booking again. But I doubt that.

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Just took a quick look and here is what I see.

These are the starting dates for the designated ship.

Caribbean Princess we already know is sailing starting May 16

Nov 15 Sky

Nov 21 Enchanted

Dec 9 Crown

Dec 20 Island

Jan 4, 2021 Emerald

2 lousy ships and 3 good ones ... that's encouraging

6 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

I think that the chances are fairly good.  I expect the "crisis" to go on for another 2-4 weeks.  I am hopeful that things should get back to normal by late Spring.  Certainly would consider a Summer Cruise.  I would however, avoid Europe and Asia at this time.

I am an optimist, but not as much as you 🙂. I expect the international health crisis to continue for months, not weeks. My guess is things might start getting back to normal in five to six months' time.

We have bookings for late November and mid December and hope this can go ahead.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have two weeks in October to celebrate graduation (master's). We originally thought Hawaii, then a cruise. Nothing in the Caribbean on Princess, so that won't happen. Also looking at the Northern Lights cruise, but it's still kinda pricey. Good thing we still have lots of time to decide (and won't until July or so).

On 3/17/2020 at 5:25 PM, Aus Traveller said:

I am an optimist, but not as much as you 🙂. I expect the international health crisis to continue for months, not weeks. My guess is things might start getting back to normal in five to six months' time.

I agree with you too......no summer cruising.....

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 2:53 PM, TM said:

Personally I think there will be more ships there.  As of now it appears that the Alaska cruise season may be a bust with Canada not allowing any ships with over 500 passengers to enter any Canadian ports.  JMHO

That ban only goes til July 1, so perhaps the cruise lines will be able run their ships later.  The season usually runs from May-Sept.

Edited by BarbinMich

21 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

That ban only goes til July 1, so perhaps the cruise lines will be able run their ships later.  The season usually runs from May-Sept.

Correct. The summer months are their most profitable. Plus. During the summer the coronavirus is supposed to deescillate. Let us all hope it does. Taking into account that Carnival now has more Platinum and Diamond cruisers. They are the ones that are diehard cruisers as we are. However we do not cruise the summer months. Being retired we go for the best price whenever.

I was also thinking this. Maybe even some longer ones out of NY.

Ships can reroute around hurricanes, so I don’t put that down as a worry.

The Caribbean ports can use the income.

i don’t think anything is going to be normal in 2-4 weeks. More likely we will be approaching the apex if we are lucky.

I would be thrilled to be wrong.

On 3/17/2020 at 8:25 PM, Aus Traveller said:

We have similar feelings regarding the length of this current mess.  Having already had a thirty day Asian cruise cancelled, we still have some hope that our Island Princess cruise in August will be OK.  But, I would not take any bets regarding that cruise to Europe and even have some doubts that our

Seriously - I would not plan on anything before September. The situation in Europe continues to escalate, and North America is 2-3 weeks behind and taking a very wait and see approach. 

• Like 1

I don't see much, if any, cruise activity ANYWHERE before Early/Mid September at earliest.  I think we may see several ships "laid up" in storage for 12-18 months beyond that, some ships parked for good and a significant reduction in worldwide capacity/itineraries for at least 18-24 months as well.  I also think ships that were ordered and not yet under construction will be either deferred or outright cancelled.

This is gonna take a LONG time for the cruise lines to recover from and some brands/corporations may not make it through.  It will make the post 9-11 travel downturn and bankruptcies/liquidations in the travel industry look like a cakewalk

• Like 1

I don’t see any cruising either before October.  Hope the cruise lines can make it. When they do start up again the ships will be half full. I think it will take a long time to get things back to normal. Probably a year or so from now if all goes well. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 5:31 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Nov 15 Sky

Nov 21 Enchanted

Dec 9 Crown

Dec 20 Island

Jan 4, 2021 Emerald

Edited by pathi

On 3/17/2020 at 2:31 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Nov 15 Sky

Nov 21 Enchanted

Dec 9 Crown

Dec 20 Island

Jan 4, 2021 Emerald

Where did you find starting dates?