Hope Royal does not do this....

I saw online this afternoon that Trump is speaking with Carnival cruises about possibility using their ships for corona patients.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article241336261.html

It is a nice offer but I don't think it is a good idea for several reasons.     

What are your thoughts?     What if Royal did this, would you get on that cruise ship for a future cruise?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I saw online this afternoon that Trump is speaking with Carnival cruises about possibility using their ships for corona patients.

What are your thoughts?     What if Royal did this, would you get on that cruise ship for a future cruise?

Wow

The cruiseship is/are/will be used for non  Covid-19 patients.

But, please do share why you don't feel it would be a good idea for several reasons.

• Like 5

I would like to see this.  It will help with needed beds for medical care and presumably (I didn't follow the link) would help Royal get some much needed money.  Doesn't matter if it is for Covid-19 patients or not.  I'm sure they will do multiple deep cleans afterwards either way.  I'd be more interested in understanding what logistics would be needed to "convert" the ship for medical use, since it wasn't designed for that.

1 minute ago, lazydayz said:

Even in the best of times, you don't have any idea what went on in your cabin on past cruises.  I would sail it! 

Yeah I'm sure worst things have been in those beds. lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't understand the issue with this....I think it's a great idea.

Even if they did out covid patients on there the virus would only live on surfaces for a few days. And obviously it would be cleaned before going back into use. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't see why this would be a bad thing... It lets the cruise lines generate some revenue while the ships are otherwise would just be sitting, and frees up land based hospital space. Seems like a pretty solid idea.

I would have to imagine that the ships would be put through rigorous sanitation before being returned to active service.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Topic was on another thread earlier today. Carnival and think was NCL done this couple times for different Crisis inc Katrina or just as Hotels. Dont see this happening beyond couple ships if at all and not for Hospitals. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

Great idea, would have no problem sailing on a ship that was being used for humanitarian or medical efforts.  I would have a lot of confidence that the industry in cooperation with local and federal health agencies would provide  proper cleaning before the ship's return to service..In a time of need it's awesome to see so many private companies and citizens stepping up for the greater good! 

No problem with Carnival making the offer, but have trouble with practicality.  Cruise ships aren't easy access.  Picture stretchers on gangways or tight corridors.  Plus ships medical facilities are limited.  Not sure type of patients they are suitable for.  Most hotels are almost empty.  Might be a better alternative

• Like 1

Even it it were for COVID19, I would sail on it.  Heck, the idea of helping out is a good thing- they've got thousands of beds not being used at all...  Maybe generate a small revenue for the ships, keep the crew busy, etc.  

And it's not as if the ships are VERY familiar with dealing with viruses and outbreaks.  That ship will be super, super clean.

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

How about this for you, you go on to RCCL and stay isolated onboard, and your home could be used for a family in need of a place to stay in these times of crises 😠

4 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Seems like a very cumbersome way to accomplish this. Hotels would be much more convenient and more local with many more available locations 

Dan

I saw that somewhere in Washington State the County or State was purchasing an Econo Lodge to house corona patients because each room has it own ventilation system.     I thought that was a great idea.    A lot of motels/hotels have that type of individual HVAC systems.    I wonder if the sale was finalized and up and running now. 

I don't care how much they clean.   I truly don't think I would want to get on a cruise ship that was used as a remote hospital for patients.       Stay Well and fight the curve!

3 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I saw that somewhere in Washington State the County or State was purchasing an Econo Lodge to house corona patients because each room has it own ventilation system.     I thought that was a great idea.    A lot of motels/hotels have that type of individual HVAC systems.    I wonder if the sale was finalized and up and running now. 

I don't care how much they clean.   I truly don't think I would want to get on a cruise ship that was used as a remote hospital for patients.       Stay Well and fight the curve!

Not to mention the small cabins, narrow hallways, tiny showers, etc on a cruise ship.  It works fine when you’re healthy but sick?  No thanks 

Dan

1 minute ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Not to mention the small cabins, narrow hallways, tiny showers, etc on a cruise ship.  It works fine when you’re healthy but sick?  No thanks 

Dan

Imagine being sick for 2 weeks in an interior cabin - no thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

It’s is for NON covid19.  Also the money the govt pays for using them will stop them from going bankrupt, so that’s good 

Yeah. Price gouge the American taxpayer like Carnival did the last time they “donated” their ships. 

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes I would get on the ship.

Why don't you think this a good idea?  Since you wanted our thoughts, what are yours?