P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

5 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Anyone up😃

Today, having been surprised at how little my insurance had gone up after vascular surgery (I thought I would be refused), we saw a cruise with a great itinery of Round Britain, then Amsterdam, Brussels, and Paris, so we booked it.  We knew the hotel for the night before would  be a bit pricey as its only 8 weeks away but we were shocked, prices were in the hundreds.  even the Premier Inn was £187  and others a lot lot more.

My first thought was Cowes Week which shoves prices up but it isn't. Later OH said he had found out that Arvia, Anthem of the Seas, and our NCL ship are all in on the same day so that must be 10,000 or more passengers and probably a good percentage will stay in Southampton the day before.   No wonder the place gets gridlocked.

Is that the Bank Holiday weekend in August? If so we are there too, staying at Elizabeth House Hotel and joining Anthem 

Michelle

• Like 1

6 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Anyone up😃

Today, having been surprised at how little my insurance had gone up after vascular surgery (I thought I would be refused), we saw a cruise with a great itinery of Round Britain, then Amsterdam, Brussels, and Paris, so we booked it.  We knew the hotel for the night before would  be a bit pricey as its only 8 weeks away but we were shocked, prices were in the hundreds.  even the Premier Inn was £187  and others a lot lot more.

My first thought was Cowes Week which shoves prices up but it isn't. Later OH said he had found out that Arvia, Anthem of the Seas, and our NCL ship are all in on the same day so that must be 10,000 or more passengers and probably a good percentage will stay in Southampton the day before.   No wonder the place gets gridlocked.

I booked at Premier Inn for the night before we sail in September back in January and even then it was nearly £160. 

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

Elizabeth House Hotel and joining Anthem 

We thought about that too but it was about £320, with parking.  In the end we booked the Aegus Bowl Hilton and  parking at the port.  Still hundreds but that's the way it is going.   

I remember, some years ago, West Quay PI was £32 for our night before cruising!!!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, purplesea said:

I booked at Premier Inn for the night before we sail in September back in January and even then it was nearly £160. 

The price normally does go down closer to the date, so I often make a booking that can be refunded and then hope to switch to a lower price later on.

• Like 3

Last year we stayed at the Prince Consort in Netley.  Something like £75 for the two of us including cooked breakfast.

Nice pub, rooms are in an annexe at the back of the car park.  We've booked again for this September, however our travel plans to Southampton wiil probably change in which case we'll be cancelling (the room, not the cruise!).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

We thought about that too but it was about £320, with parking.  In the end we booked the Aegus Bowl Hilton and  parking at the port.  Still hundreds but that's the way it is going.   

I remember, some years ago, West Quay PI was £32 for our night before cruising!!!

Premier inn prices everywhere have increased significantly this year.

They are looking to sell a lot of Beefeater and Brewers fayre restaurant's too.

• Like 2

For our September cruise, it coincides with the BoatS Show, Southampton hotels are crazy prices so I've booked on outskirts, £130 with breakfast. Would normally be 30 minutes to port but will leave after breakfast at about 10.30 to allow for heavy traffic.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Prices are going up all over the place. My car insurance renewal has jumped a fair chunk 

this year but on looking around I am still better off by £80 by staying put with my insurance.

On the bigger scheme of things ,I suppose we are lucky to find things like this and cruises

still affordable to us .🙂

• Like 10

My  house insurance renewal notice just arrived, a hefty increase but still good value so I will renew.

Also had an email yesterday from Premier Inn for my stay in Southampton West Quay next week. there is no air conditioning and no reason why. 😠 A lengthy search online revealed the problem is building work which has been delayed for months. The discussion suggested Southampton Airport as an alternative which apparently has working A/C. I booked the airport hotel and will cancel the West Quay one without charge. Also change my August booking as well.

The port transfer firm will be happy that they don't have to drive into Southampton.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, indiana123 said:

I booked it a long time ago, July 2022. I booked two rooms one adult two children in each for £147 per room inc breakfast. Booked parking with ABP

Michelle

• Like 1

10 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Anyone up😃

Good to hear that you got your insurance and happy with the price too.

Are you able to share who you are insured with?

DH had successful vascular surgery just over 2 years ago, with no problems since, but insurance has proved to be an expensive challenge! 

• Like 2

It’s wet here, wet in biblical proportions. All that is missing is the Arc.

It’s so wet I have been out to the Garage and hunted out the sump pump as the bottom of the driveway is beginning to flood. It a great little hippo pump and takes the water straight to the drains and you can use it for dirty water.

The grass and plants need the rain and they are certainly getting it today.

Ironically it’s also really warm.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Are we allowed to recommend insurers? Have found one whose premiums are really good if you have more serious conditions. Don't know if they are bona fide though! 

I believe so, only travel agents, and covid,  are banned.

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

The price normally does go down closer to the date, so I often make a booking that can be refunded and then hope to switch to a lower price later on.

Exactly what I do, but I was still surprised at the prices quoted for all the PIs in the Southampton area for next June. The cheapest convenient one was the airport at £108, flexible.

Last week I booked a few nights at Fort William PI (flexible rate) for September when the price without breakfast, was £200+ on some nights 😱.  I wonder how Fort William would be in December instead 😄.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I believe so, only travel agents, and covid,  are banned.

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

Exactly what I do, but I was still surprised at the prices quoted for all the PIs in the Southampton area for next June. The cheapest convenient one was the airport at £108, flexible.

Last week I booked a few nights at Fort William PI (flexible rate) for September when the price without breakfast, was £200+ on some nights 😱.  I wonder how Fort William would be in December instead 😄.

🥶 Cold?

• Haha 5

23 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

This is true. 

But when a building society or bank prevents its depositors from accessing accounts for several days, and chooses not to announce the fact via its website or social media pages sometimes the message that sends out could be mistaken for an alarm bell.

You are probably correct Harry, but I didn't know about this crisis until you told us all.🤣

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, alpha whiskey said:

Good to hear that you got your insurance and happy with the price too.

DH had successful vascular surgery just over 2 years ago, with no problems since, but insurance has proved to be an expensive challenge! 

We are looking at insurance for our Caribbean cruise. I would say, thank God, that we are both relatively healthy with just minor issues. The cost of the insurance for the cruise is coming our astronomically high ! At this rate will have to be tea total for the week !!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

It’s wet here, wet in biblical proportions. All that is missing is the Arc.

It’s so wet I have been out to the Garage and hunted out the sump pump as the bottom of the driveway is beginning to flood. It a great little hippo pump and takes the water straight to the drains and you can use it for dirty water.

The grass and plants need the rain and they are certainly getting it today.

Ironically it’s also really warm.

Just means the grass and hedges will GROW --- ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, grapau27 said:

That's a shame. We have a number of PIs we enjoy visiting that have a good beefeater / Brewers Fayre next door. I am surprised they are selling.

To be honest, though we like PI we feel that their prices in peak times are silly money compared to  decent 4 star hotels we know

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alpha whiskey said:

If I get a rocket then so be it!!!  It's S***sure.  I only had surgery 6 weeks or so ago.  With 5 months left on the policy it was an extra £84. I was expecting refusal. 

With other historical problems our insurance is into four figures but we knew it would be. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

If I get a rocket then so be it!!!  It's S***sure.  I only had surgery 6 weeks or so ago.  With 5 months left on the policy it was an extra £84. I was expecting refusal. 

With other historical problems our insurance is into four figures but we knew it would be. 

They were one of the only insurers willing to take me on with my heart condition .

Most did not want to know or wanted a kings ransom to cover us .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

That's a shame. We have a number of PIs we enjoy visiting that have a good beefeater / Brewers Fayre next door. I am surprised they are selling.

To be honest, though we like PI we feel that their prices in peak times are silly money compared to  decent 4 star hotels we know

Not surprised they are offloading a number of their restaurants, have been in a beefeater today, at lunchtime next to a motorway junction, besides the 2 of us there were precisely 5 other diners, there were more staff than people eating. The meal was excellent, although we have found it can vary significantly between locations. They are also suffering from supply issues, we were advised that 5 items were not available on the menu as they were not included in last 2 deliveries. 

• Like 3

On 7/3/2023 at 2:17 PM, Harry Peterson said:

Quite a few from Yorkshire here. Anyone having fun trying to access their Yorkshire Building Society money?

From my IT contacts in Yorkshire, it would appear that there is a problem with the upgrade to its website which is affecting some customers.

There is a message on website acknowledging the issue with access. 

Having been involved with updates to websites in a larger bank than YBS, when there is an issue with an upgrade it is often very public. I feel for those in the Web Development Team trying to fix the issue, I have been there and the pressure from above is immense. 

IMG_1703.jpeg

• Thanks 1