P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

41 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

A brilliant morning of blue skies and 7˚C... at the moment... showers later... but off to Canterbury for the day... tell you the tales later. 😀🤓

Best wishes to all.

A friend of mine is also off to Canterbury today, but via Epsom Coaches!. Weather looks like it will be mostly dry!

Enjoy!

• Like 6

10 hours ago, zap99 said:

In Halifax we went to the cemetery where folk from the Titanic are buried.  All set out to start a life in the new world. A date and number on a granite stone. Very sad.

Yes indeed. At the Titanic Museum in Cobh you are given a ticket when you enter with the details of who you are as a passenger, which. Class etc. As you go through you see where you would have slept, washed, the food menus for your ticket class etc.

At the end of the tour you check your passenger to find out their fate. That’s what I meant when I said above that we died which Becket would know as she has visited. It makes the whole thing more personal. As “I” was a third class passenger I would not have even got near a lifeboat.

• Like 9

Morning 5.c and bright at the moment here.

Lovely to see all this planning of folk traveling and their tales 😉

I used to love going up to Scotland and visit my Grandparents and get out

and about with them ,travelling far and wide to such wonderous places as 

Moscow , yes they have one . 

Just for Brian ,I was told at certain times of year the midges can be a pest,

more so in the Trossachs but you can get potions for that .

The locals wherever you are in Scotland will do their upmost to help you.

I remember a guy asking "Whens the best time to spot the Loch Ness monster ?

After your 8 th whiskey was the reply .🙃

On another occasion a man asked "Does Perth have a B&Q in it " ..

Nae but it's got a T & H  in it  was the answer 🤣

Whatever your doing have a good day 😀

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 16

Good morning.

7°C and cloudy here.

We visited Cobh in May 2018 on Royal Caribbean Independence of the seas and visited the Titanic museum which was small but worth the visit.

I hope everyone is well.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Ardennais said:

You witnessed a wedding there and we witnessed mourners leaving a funeral! 

All we need now is for one of the gang to have visited St.Colman's during a christening and we'll have a full set - hatched, matched, and dispatched! Jane xx

• Haha 12

Good Morning to you all.

Although it is a lot colder than of late at c, not sure what our weather is going to do today😕 Forecast is for rain all day, but sun was shining when I got up, we've had rain and the sun is out again. So I'm guessing we are in for a day of showers. 

Didn't get currency yesterday as planned as the exchange bureau was shut dispite saying they would be open, so will phone to check before going again today.

Hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We're all waiting for kalos.

Watch this space😁

Sis

And as usual I should remember to read all the posts before commenting.🙄

Will I ever learn?🤫

Nope🥴

Sis

• Haha 7

The Titanic disaster hit Southampton very hard, there are many monuments around the city, there is a Titanic trail and the Seacity Museum. 546 crew members who lived/resided in Southampton lost their lives and many came from the same streets. (see link below). The amount of residents lost was a huge shock to the city. Passenger shipping was booming at that time and there was a shortage of crew to spread around all of the expanding shipping fleets, my great grandfather was approached to go on Titanic but he was happy to stay with American Line (thank goodness), he did the Southampton to New York run for nearly 20 years as a steward.

https://historicsouthampton.co.uk/crew/

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Falkirk is much more accessible from South Queensferry than from Greenock but if you are doing a land based tour then probably better yet. If you are in the area then you can plan visits to the Wheel (booking required), the Kelpies, Callander House (Outlander connection - kitchen where beheading took place) and the newly reopened Rosebank Distillery (booking required) all within a three miles radius. Stirling is just up the train line too for the castle.

If you did the train from Dalmeny you can go to Edinburgh Haymarket then change and take a Dunblane train into Stirling. The castle is about a 15 to 20 minute walk uphill from the train station. It’s amazing, some think better that Edinburgh and not as busy. If you want less faff then a taxi to Linlithgow and a direct train from there to Stirling. 

Linlithgow by taxi is the easiest option (it’s about a 15 to 20 minute journey) but I would pre book a taxi. While there will be some at the dock, there are always lots of passengers after them to get them up the hill to the station. I take it you are tendering in from under the bridges so you need to factor in the time it takes for that for any booking. (fun fact, the character Scotty from Star Trek was born in Linlithgow).

The sail out from South Queensferry is lovely as you see the 3 bridges and further along the Isle of May and Bass rock. Take binoculars as you may be close enough to see some amazing bird life on the Bass rock.

Re Kirkwall how easy this is after a tour depends on where the ship is, big ships are out at the docks so a shuttle bus is required. The times we have been there the shuttles have been frequent so easy enough to leave the tour bus and hop on one into town. 

Re Loch Lomond yes very scenic and pretty.

Thank you so much for all this excellent information, I am extremely grateful.    My OH and I are flying into Edinburgh on 11 July for 5 days.  On the Saturday we are seeing Paul Weller at the Castle but apart from that we are going to be real tourists.  Reading all the information on things just outside Edinburgh we wonder whether we should perhaps hire a car just for a day to take all this in and make best use of our time.  I assume Edinburgh like all major UK cities is now anti car, so would it be best to go out of the city to organise the car pick up/drop off, and if so where would be best to set us off towards Falkirk?

We are planning on using public transport and walking for our time there.  My husband is taking the train to Glasgow to visit one of his clients for half a day. Having chatted to my husband last night we are going to add Stirling Castle to our July trip.  Our hotel is called the Market Street Hotel and apparently (unless you know differently!) very near the main railway station so taking trains hopefully will be fairly easily achieved - unless you know differently  ...

Regarding my cruise visit, yes we are tendering so based on this I'm going to go with the Linlithgow idea as it seems a nice easy option seeing some things I hadn't considered at all.  Bass Rock and The Isle of May are listed in the itinerary for sail by so hopefully birds will be seen.

Kirkwall I've now booked the 2 1/2 hour trip which takes in the Italianite church as it leaves the earliest at 8.30am so hopefully I can then wander round on my return and find somewhere for lunch and trying a dram of the local offering.  Cunard do the same as P&O with vague descriptions of when they sail but Kirkwall states early evening so fingers crossed I can fit everything in!

Interestingly I just noticed Liverpool is an afternoon departure which is a bit of a disappointment.  With the naming ceremony taking place there I was hoping for a longer stay and perhaps some fireworks. 

I am so grateful to everyone on here for their help with this trip which was a real impulse buy!  Normally I plan meticulously for months beforehand if I'm travelling alone so this is to say the least a whole new ballgame.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you so much for all this excellent information, I am extremely grateful.    My OH and I are flying into Edinburgh on 11 July for 5 days.  On the Saturday we are seeing Paul Weller at the Castle but apart from that we are going to be real tourists.  Reading all the information on things just outside Edinburgh we wonder whether we should perhaps hire a car just for a day to take all this in and make best use of our time.  I assume Edinburgh like all major UK cities is now anti car, so would it be best to go out of the city to organise the car pick up/drop off, and if so where would be best to set us off towards Falkirk?

We are planning on using public transport and walking for our time there.  My husband is taking the train to Glasgow to visit one of his clients for half a day. Having chatted to my husband last night we are going to add Stirling Castle to our July trip.  Our hotel is called the Market Street Hotel and apparently (unless you know differently!) very near the main railway station so taking trains hopefully will be fairly easily achieved - unless you know differently  ...

Regarding my cruise visit, yes we are tendering so based on this I'm going to go with the Linlithgow idea as it seems a nice easy option seeing some things I hadn't considered at all.  Bass Rock and The Isle of May are listed in the itinerary for sail by so hopefully birds will be seen.

Kirkwall I've now booked the 2 1/2 hour trip which takes in the Italianite church as it leaves the earliest at 8.30am so hopefully I can then wander round on my return and find somewhere for lunch and trying a dram of the local offering.  Cunard do the same as P&O with vague descriptions of when they sail but Kirkwall states early evening so fingers crossed I can fit everything in!

Interestingly I just noticed Liverpool is an afternoon departure which is a bit of a disappointment.  With the naming ceremony taking place there I was hoping for a longer stay and perhaps some fireworks. 

I am so grateful to everyone on here for their help with this trip which was a real impulse buy!  Normally I plan meticulously for months beforehand if I'm travelling alone so this is to say the least a whole new ballgame.

Your hotel is right behind the back steps to Waverley Station, just down from the Royal Mile so a short walk to the Castle for your concert.

Yes the centre of Edinburgh is buses and trams only. You can however drive around the outskirts then motorway to Falkirk or Stirling. There is free parking at the Wheel and the Kelpies. Pay for at Stirling Castle.

As you are right next to the station you could easily do Stirling and Falkirk by train. As I said above Stirling Castle is easily walkable if you are fairly fit from the station. The Wheel /Kelpies is a short taxi ride.

Falkirk Grahamston is on the same train line as Stirling and both have taxi ranks so you could do both in one day potentially. Be sure to check for Dunblane or Alloa trains and the stops (Falkirk also has Falkirk High station which is on the main Edinburgh Glasgow high speed route).

In the centre of Edinburgh there is a lot to see and do for 5 days. You could go to Mary Kings close and see the old city underground, the Johnny Walker experience on Princess Street, the Royal Yacht Brittania by tram in Leith, the national museums, Holyrood Palace, the Parliament, Edinburgh Castle etc etc.

My best advice is book anything you want to do in advance as in July it will all be busy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Good advice in previous post from @Eglesbrech.  If you do hire a car, by far the easiest option from your hotel is a pick-up at the station.  If you were trying to drive to Edinburgh and  park without spending a fortune, then I'd advise caution, but a day-hire will be easy, traffic is not as bad as you might imagine, and you'll have a parking space waiting for you when you return at the end of the day. Google Maps satnav is accurate and definitely worth using, even if you think you know the way!  Consider adding Culross to your Falkirk / Kelpies / Stirling tour.

Another location you could visit outside Edinburgh but easily accessible by public transport is Rosslyn Chapel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fruitmachine said:

Good advice in previous post from @Eglesbrech.  If you do hire a car, by far the easiest option from your hotel is a pick-up at the station.  If you were trying to drive to Edinburgh and  park without spending a fortune, then I'd advise caution, but a day-hire will be easy, traffic is not as bad as you might imagine, and you'll have a parking space waiting for you when you return at the end of the day. Google Maps satnav is accurate and definitely worth using, even if you think you know the way!  Consider adding Culross to your Falkirk / Kelpies / Stirling tour.

Another location you could visit outside Edinburgh but easily accessible by public transport is Rosslyn Chapel.

I would second the suggestion for Culross (pronounced coo russ). Beautiful little village with an interesting Abbey.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Hi all, we have arrived at the Hilton overlooking the cricket ground. Lovely view from our balcony 😁 Back on Monday.

IMG_0275.jpeg

IMG_0277.jpeg

IMG_0272.jpeg

Hope you have a good time Sue ,they do a great breakfast .

Should you want to eat out or use take aways, ASDA, they are all near to you 

and we liked the West End Brewery Pub that does meals.  MAP

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.

We had a nice church service this morning and a nice time overlooking the beach afterwards with our Breakfast wraps and coffee.

I hope everyone is well.

IMG_20240327_104725.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 15

@Megabear2 if you do visit Linlithgow Palace look at the carvings above the entrance and remember the children’s rhyme Mary, Mary quite contrary. Look up as it’s literally carved in the stone here, cockle shells and all. The pretty maids are the four Mary’s (which is also the name of a nice hostellry in the town).

I would also suggest getting the audio guide for the palace to make the most of the tour (the palace was also used in Outlander).

Which distillery are you visiting on the Loch Lomond trip? It must be a lowland distillery and if it’s Auchentoshan then it’s triple distilled and quite a sharp dram. Personally I prefer the Auchetoshan cream which is one of the best versions of “Baileys” I have tried.

• Like 3

The weather may not be wonderful but the sun came out today to say hello and the views from Rhos on Sea and now Llanddulas were and are stunning. From lovely North Wales. 

20240327_175723.jpg

20240327_145224.jpg

20240327_140745.jpg

20240327_135005.jpg

20240327_135649.jpg

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

@Megabear2 if you do visit Linlithgow Palace look at the carvings above the entrance and remember the children’s rhyme Mary, Mary quite contrary. Look up as it’s literally carved in the stone here, cockle shells and all. The pretty maids are the four Mary’s (which is also the name of a nice hostellry in the town).

I would also suggest getting the audio guide for the palace to make the most of the tour (the palace was also used in Outlander).

Which distillery are you visiting on the Loch Lomond trip? It must be a lowland distillery and if it’s Auchentoshan then it’s triple distilled and quite a sharp dram. Personally I prefer the Auchetoshan cream which is one of the best versions of “Baileys” I have tried.

I've just double checked my itinerary and its Glengoyne. Is that a good one?  Funnily enough I have a bottle of Auchentoshan which was produced for the last sailings of the QE2 which my mother bought for me.

I'm making substantial notes in my travelling notebook with all your great tips and information.  I'm really very grateful.

7 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I've just double checked my itinerary and its Glengoyne. Is that a good one?  Funnily enough I have a bottle of Auchentoshan which was produced for the last sailings of the QE2 which my mother bought for me.

I'm making substantial notes in my travelling notebook with all your great tips and information.  I'm really very grateful.

It’s lovely, a very nice whisky (much nicer dram than Auchetoshan imho. It that’s down to personal taste of course). Part of the McLeod group which is re opening Rosebank, the one that I mentioned for Falkirk.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Hi all, we have arrived at the Hilton overlooking the cricket ground. Lovely view from our balcony 😁 Back on Monday.

IMG_0275.jpeg

IMG_0277.jpeg

IMG_0272.jpeg

Lovely photo of yourself Sue.

Fantastic view from your balcony.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1