P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

It's a slight change of topic but I'm confident that someone can help me. My husband has been told to get himself a blood pressure monitor as he's to keep a record for medical treatment.

I'm sure I've read that some of you have to do this as well can you give me a recommendation for one.

thank you

15 minutes ago, July morning said:

It's a slight change of topic but I'm confident that someone can help me. My husband has been told to get himself a blood pressure monitor as he's to keep a record for medical treatment.

I'm sure I've read that some of you have to do this as well can you give me a recommendation for one.

thank you

I was advised by my GP to use an Omron BP monitor and have done so for years. They are the most reliable and I am using the same one that I bought 12 years ago. They have a good selection on Amazon at reasonable prices. I prefer the wrist monitor as they are easy and comfortable to use and they give an accurate BP and heart rate reading. I've recommeded them to one or two on here and I'm sure they will also tell you how good they are.

Avril

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I was advised by my GP to use an Omron BP monitor and have done so for years. They are the most reliable and I am using the same one that I bought 12 years ago. They have a good selection on Amazon at reasonable prices. I prefer the wrist monitor as they are easy and comfortable to use and they give an accurate BP and heart rate reading. I've recommeded them to one or two on here and I'm sure they will also tell you how good they are.

Avril

Absolutely Avril. On your recommendation I got the Omron wrist monitor and it is much easier and much more comfortable than the arm cuff….

• Like 3

Good morning.

It is 7°C, breezy and cloudy here.

I use an arm BP monitor as I found the wrist one not accurate.

There are different size wraps that go around your arm so make sure to check you buy the right size for you with the pharmacy pharmacist.

The doctor's surgery and all wards including the cardiac ward at our hospital use the arm BP monitor's.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, July morning said:

thank you

I use the same model as they were using in the hospital on me 

and in my Dr's surgery ..Omron M3 Blood Pressure Monitor.

Very handy as it keeps a history record of the last readings taken .

• Like 4

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a bp monitor for your wrist.  Never seen one in hospital or at the GP, never been recommended to me.  My new one is certainly efficient, and shows the irregular hearbeats when they occur, but I wonder why no Dr. has ever recommended one to me, and why they are not used in the hospitals I have been treated in in recent years.

• Like 1

@July morning you may already know this but blood pressure changes at different times of the day and for example after eating food. Consequently to get a true picture you would need to take it at least Morning and evening, the evening one is likely to be lower.

When you do it in the morning do it consistently before eating or it will change the result.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If you have an iPad or iPhone (and probably others), you can record bp readings in the phone’s ‘health app’. This then stores the information and produces graphs of readings that can show trends etc. My GP is happy to accept these readings rather than the one done in the surgery which tends to be higher, due to ‘white coat syndrome’ - the increased stress of being in the presence of a GP. When I bought my machine, my GP advised me to use an upper arm monitor because he said that the wrist monitors are generally less accurate.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

@July morning you may already know this but blood pressure changes at different times of the day and for example after eating food. Consequently to get a true picture you would need to take it at least Morning and evening, the evening one is likely to be lower.

When you do it in the morning do it consistently before eating or it will change the result.

I was thinking the same and goes without saying sit down and relax for five minutes

before taking your readings.

They say these machines should be checked every few years for calibration accuracy .

My Dr is brilliant with me and told me to bring my machine into the surgery and she 

compared the readings to their machine that is the same model as mine .

• Like 4

A heavy shower of rain has just passed. 

We have blue skies and bright sunshine. it's 7˚C and we have a forecast for wind and rain for the rest of the day. However, the skies over London are dramatic and full of foreboding (rain). Off later this afternoon to see a ghostly play in the Richmond Theatre.

In the meantime... it's (like everyone else) pre-breafast blood monitor time!

Hope all are well and looking forward to the best bits of the day.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kalos said:

I use the same model as they were using in the hospital on me 

and in my Dr's surgery ..Omron M3 Blood Pressure Monitor.

Very handy as it keeps a history record of the last readings taken .

Good point.

Mine does too as well as telling me BP and heart rate.

• Like 3

Good morning everyone on this grey and very windy day , it always sounds a lot more windy where I live because I can hear the waves on the beach crashing.

Well yesterday we sorted out and paid for our funeral plans 🥴 not a nice thing to do but thought we would do it now while we can so the kids have no problems when the time arises, next on the list when we return from fuerteventura in a few weeks is changing the will , bringing it up to date as it was done 25 years ago.

This mornings plan is to go into spec savers to collect my new glasses which only took a week, order some foreign currency for up coming cruise , 4 different types I have had to write down in case I forget, then off to boots to get some new makeup.

Have a lovely day everyone and I hope all you blood pressure taker’s are fit and well .

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good point.

Mine does too as well as telling me BP and heart rate.

Most give you a heart rate reading and irregular heartbeat detection.

I cross check my heart rate using a Kinetec  finger pulse oxymeter .

60 heartbeat and 98% oxygen , looking good 😃

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Another day of showers here, with strong winds forecast and the sun is out, at present!

I really must start packing as it is only three days now to my cruise and as we leave home on Saturday that only gives me today and tomorrow😬 

A trip out to Boots to collect my order and then the Post Office for some stamps. Also need to update my Tesco delivery for tomorrow, although I won't be here OH and son will be. 

Have a good day all.

• Like 6

An exhausting night with very little sleep.  Thunder and lightning started around 8.00pm and continued to roll around until 3.00am.  Now we have a damp dreary morning with a stiff breeze and according to my phone should expect heavy rain and more thunder at around 10.00am.  With my luck it will hold off until 11.00am when I go to pick up the click and collect groceries.  Actually that was an interesting one too! Tesco informed me that hot cross buns and Lindt golden bunnies were only available for delivery/collection until 27 March which was very strange.  Luckily my husband called into Sainsburys on his way out to swimming this morning and they had no such embargo.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Well yesterday we sorted out and paid for our funeral plans 🥴 not a nice thing to do but thought we would do it now while we can so the kids have no problems when the time arises,

I think it's a wonderful thing you have done ,takes a lot of stress away from your loved ones .

We did the same a few years ago and glad we did as it would cost £1000's more now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Just shows how everywhere is different. 

Really sunny  day here in Kent, and there's me, I love grey days and dull weather, and  we have the sun!!!😏🤣

You're very welcome to ours!  The local paper ran a piece saying since January 29th we have had only four days with no rain at all.  Everything here has floods and lying water, I need my wellies to walk down Town Path to the city as the water from the river Avon is currently right over the path.  The Environment Agency is currently building a water park which involves widening the river.  Ironically in January houses nearby were flooded for the first time ever and at a recent meeting to discuss what's happening their spokesman said they have been taken by surprise at how much water there is!  It was a lively meeting shall we say  ... rivers and rain making water, who would have guessed!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Another day of showers here, with strong winds forecast and the sun is out, at present!

I really must start packing as it is only three days now to my cruise and as we leave home on Saturday that only gives me today and tomorrow😬 

A trip out to Boots to collect my order and then the Post Office for some stamps. Also need to update my Tesco delivery for tomorrow, although I won't be here OH and son will be. 

Have a good day all.

I am a little envious that not only can you afford cruises but stamps as well 😊

• Haha 12

33 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

It was a lively meeting shall we say  ... rivers and rain making water, who would have guessed!

Last night they had a water spokesperson on TV with a straight face saying 

i'ts not their fault when they pump sewage out into our seas .

No where to store it 

The other summer he said it was not their fault that the reservoirs had run low 

due to a dry summer ,again no where to store it .🤔

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Just shows how everywhere is different. 

Really sunny  day here in Kent, and there's me, I love grey days and dull weather, and  we have the sun!!!😏🤣

Glad that you kept some sun in reserve for us when we visited Canterbury  yesterday...

DSC_7980.thumb.jpeg.2b83a9f80e90f5b064fe0bca32344acc.jpeg

Any idea why the Cathedral is full of electrical folk and there are heavy duty wires everywhere?

• Like 2