P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, kalos said:

We left Cheshire this morning very bleak and rain /hailstones.

The traffic going over Woodhead from Denton all the way back to Crowden 

was at a crawl going in towards Manchester .

Anyone going for the airport on the last minute could be regretting their 

timekeeping .

Once we got to the right side of those hills towards Sheffield we were met

by blue sky's and sunshine and 8.c.🙂

Must have been good weather as our kind next doors had cut our front grass

for us.😃

I'm glad you're both safely back home, I hated Woodhead even at the best of times, and if we had to use it I kept my eyes firmly closed. Not when I was driving I hasten to add😉

That was very nice of your neighbour kalos.  Kind and helpful neighbours are becoming scarce.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 4

Cracking start to the day here, it is unusual for us to be up so early but the sun is streaming into the house and the birds are singing. Mrs YP is putting the bedding in the washer as we speak as it looks like a good drying day. Enjoy your day whatever you do.

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Cracking start to the day here, it is unusual for us to be up so early but the sun is streaming into the house and the birds are singing. Mrs YP is putting the bedding in the washer as we speak as it looks like a good drying day. Enjoy your day whatever you do.

I had mine out yesterday. I always think bedding (and towels etc) smell better from the fresh air. I have herbs planted at the front of the drying green so the sheets always smell of them a little.

I have an old fashioned dying green with poles, ropes and wooden stretchers which my dad made for me many, many years ago.

Its another nice day here again today, perhaps spring is coming at long last.

• Like 11

I was up early today with alarm set for 3.55 this morning to get up and watch the Australian Grand Prix but went back to sleep for a couple of hours afterwards.

8c dry but cloudy here at the moment, the forecast is for it to remain dry for the rest of the day. MIL is round for Sunday lunch, my wife is cooking pork, leek and apple casserole with new potatoes and P&O style squeaky beans.

• Like 6

Bright blue skies down here too, with a bit of a breeze. They are forecasting showers later.

Washing out on the line as it's an ideal day for drying. 

Only a week now til our cruise, so I suppose I should think about packing. We have a boarding time of 15.30 next week so don't know how we will fill the time?

Edited by purplesea
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, brian1 said:

I should add it's called hotel cruise.there's a message there somewhere.

I'm hearing you about staying by the lake in Como pre Brexit 😉. Your post made me take a look at a favourite hotel overlooking Lake Lucerne that we stayed at a couple of times back in the day, on full board. For accommodation only (but with breakfast) it's £530 a night 😱. Blimey!

You are possibly home by now, so get booking those trips and cruises at the start of the next phase.

• Like 2

We'd also a great start to the day with sunshine streaming into the windows... but the sky's now gone a bit... grey... or as Dulux would sell it, "snail trail", "misty mirror" or even "frosted steel."

We've just lost our local busses but have new bus routes connecting us to three local village/town centres and to all our local hospitals. The timetables are like something from a devil's cryptic crossword and we spent an age yesterday trying to work out when the busses went through our area. It was as boring as a death watch beetle with a black and decker!

Every now and again we came up for air and began to reminisce about how the times of busses was never part of our grand plan for life! Thoughts crystalised over the hot-cross buns for breakfast this morning!

We remembered that when we were young... our mentors sang... 

"Express Yourself!", "Get Ready!", "Life has just begun." We were told "Ain't no Mountain High Enough." We believed them when they repeated "Everything is Beautiful" and that it was "All Right Now!"

We all wanted to go to Scarborough Fair, learn to cook with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. We were the idealists who just wanted to "take a sad song and make it better."

We imagined our senses being filled by "a night in the forest, the mountains in springtime, a walk in the rain, a storm in the desert and by a sleepy blue ocean."

But... our prophets on the wall foretold our future... and looking back just a couple of years later we realised in retrospect that... 

"Those were the days. We thought they'd never end. We'd sing and dance forever and a day. We'd live the life we choose. We'd fight and never lose. For we were young and sure to have our way."

Before long it was... "take a chance on me," "I do, I do, I do, I do, I do" and we soon realised that with 18½% mortgage rates that "the name of the game" was " gimme, gimme, gimme," "money, money, money" and "the winner takes all," 

Now, half a century later... it's a case that we "travel the world and the seven seas" and our "sweet dreams are made of this." We're still so delighted by the thought of "a night in the forest, the mountains in springtime, a walk in the rain, a storm in the desert and by a sleepy blue ocean."

All of these thoughts brought about by a inconceivably complicated set of bus time tables and a driech grey sky!

• Like 20

28 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

We'd also a great start to the day with sunshine streaming into the windows... but the sky's now gone a bit... grey... or as Dulux would sell it, "snail trail", "misty mirror" or even "frosted steel."

We've just lost our local busses but have new bus routes connecting us to three local village/town centres and to all our local hospitals. The timetables are like something from a devil's cryptic crossword and we spent an age yesterday trying to work out when the busses went through our area. It was as boring as a death watch beetle with a black and decker!

Every now and again we came up for air and began to reminisce about how the times of busses was never part of our grand plan for life! Thoughts crystalised over the hot-cross buns for breakfast this morning!

"Express Yourself!", "Get Ready!", "Life has just begun." We were told "Ain't no Mountain High Enough." We believed them when they repeated "Everything is Beautiful" and that it was "All Right Now!"

We all wanted to go to Scarborough Fair, learn to cook with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. We were the idealists who just wanted to "take a sad song and make it better."

We imagined our senses being filled by "a night in the forest, the mountains in springtime, a walk in the rain, a storm in the desert and by a sleepy blue ocean."

But... our prophets on the wall foretold our future... and looking back just a couple of years later we realised in retrospect that... 

"Those were the days. We thought they'd never end. We'd sing and dance forever and a day. We'd live the life we choose. We'd fight and never lose. For we were young and sure to have our way."

Before long it was... "take a chance on me," "I do, I do, I do, I do, I do" and we soon realised that with 18½% mortgage rates that "the name of the game" was " gimme, gimme, gimme," "money, money, money" and "the winner takes all," 

Now, half a century later... it's a case that we "travel the world and the seven seas" and our "sweet dreams are made of this." We're still so delighted by the thought of "a night in the forest, the mountains in springtime, a walk in the rain, a storm in the desert and by a sleepy blue ocean."

All of these thoughts brought about by a inconceivably complicated set of bus time tables and a driech grey sky!

Very clever, thank you 😊

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mrsgoggins said:

What is a 'dying green' please?

The bit of the garden set aside for drying clothes. It’s called a green because it grass with poles set in for the washing lines.

Sorry, it must be a very Scottish term.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

We've just lost our local busses but have new bus routes connecting us to three local village/town centres and to all our local hospitals.

Our buses used to be every 20 mins . Last time I used the bus when I got to 

the bus stop a heavily pregnant woman was stood waiting .

I asked her when is it due ? She said two weeks today .

So I decided to walk into town .

I don't like bus stops as folk ask weird questions like ...

Does this bus stop near the river ?

Well if it didn't there is going to be a very big splash . 🙃

Also ..Do you know how long the next bus will be ?

I would guess around 33ft 🤔

• Haha 18

3 hours ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Your post is very true and made me smile😊 

Your way with words never fails to amaze me. When I read through your interesting and incredibly written posts I often wonder if you were a journalist or something similar. 🤫

Kalos with his wonderful jokes and @Selbourne with his fascinating travel blogs are two others who have a way with words.

Avril

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Quite a pleasant sunny day here, putting together new greenhouse staging, put the old staging on a local sales page free to collector, within 15 mins had 3 enquiries, first one is on her way to collect. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

I'm hearing you about staying by the lake in Como pre Brexit 😉. Your post made me take a look at a favourite hotel overlooking Lake Lucerne that we stayed at a couple of times back in the day, on full board. For accommodation only (but with breakfast) it's £530 a night 😱. Blimey!

You are possibly home by now, so get booking those trips and cruises at the start of the next phase.

The one in Como was an old one only 100 yards from the lake.It was only 90 quid plus 15 for garage parking,now it's around 150.We stayed in a suite hotel in Lugano with lake views from a large patio attached to our room.That was 200 euro,but a treat for us b4 Christmas.

• Like 2

I was going to post a "Graham" from the banks of Lucerne.We came out of the Gotthard tunnel to snow and rain,plus no Greggs to be seen.I think the Swiss food police told them to jog on.In Thionville now after a 6 hr drive.Last 4 hr leg tomorrow.

• Like 10

We had a grey morning but it has turned to a beautiful blue sky with just a few high wispy white clouds but it is still cold so I am sitting inside watching the birds in the garden.I

• Like 7