P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

Happy Birthday Phil!

Snap! It's mine today too!

Happy Birthday Damian, enjoy your day.

Cold, sunny and windy down here.

My car insurance was due beginning of January and it increased by about £50 so shopped around and got it cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thanks Graham. I haven’t phoned them yet - just collecting information and other quotes at the moment.  Up till now LV have always been the lowest for these cars - both Group 14, and both an identical £240 to renew.

I suspect they’ll still be cheapest, but a 20% increase seems a lot. Mileage on each of the two in the last 12 months well under 1000!

I just used Moneysupermarket  - easy to compare everything,  and the quotes were cheaper than Direct Line, who always seemed to be cheapest in the past. 

54 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

£240 seems a reasonable price

I know it is silly to compare prices when there are so many variables, but that seems a lot. £140 for my wife's Fiat 500, and £160 or so for my Arona.

Graham, I guess you must pay a premium as you use your car for work?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Changing the subject slightly, has anyone noticed an unusual jump in car insurance premiums lately? 

Mine came through this morning and they’re up by just over 20% (LV) for no obvious reason. Obviously, I’ll check around and negotiate, but just wondered if this is a typical increase?

My car insurance renewal with LV increased considerably in January and also renewal did not include same "extras" as last year i.e. legal cover, courtesy car etc. so I shopped around and saved a fortune by booking with Aviva on one of the comparison websites which surprised me because they havent always been on there in the past.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

My renewal shot up last September, shopped around got cover for £60 less than my renewal, with improved cover.

It's common practise for being "loyal". I just phone them up,have a moan and they reduce it back to last years price.I'm buggered really cos Saga is only 1 of 2 companies that give unlimited cover in EU but I don't tell them that.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I just used Moneysupermarket  - easy to compare everything,  and the quotes were cheaper than Direct Line, who always seemed to be cheapest in the past. 

Still with the Direct and when my car got hit with a van it looked a right mess . I phoned them up and they swung into action  .They took it away gave me a hire car and 3 days later I had the car back looking great. They assigned a person to my case and I didn't have to do a thing .

Now when I had to claim off my travel insurance due to my current illness with another company ,everything was done via e-mail , Good but not as good as a UK  call centre .

When shopping around I would rather have someone to talk to if the savings on Insurance is not a great deal, if like me you have someone plough into you at 4:45 am on a deserted dual carriageway that service comes in handy .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Changing the subject slightly, has anyone noticed an unusual jump in car insurance premiums lately? 

Mine came through this morning and they’re up by just over 20% (LV) for no obvious reason. Obviously, I’ll check around and negotiate, but just wondered if this is a typical increase?

Hi Harry. Worth seeing what the Meerkats offer? My last two private cars were groups 33 and 49 (under the new 50 categorisations) and I was only paying around £350 for fully comp with protected NCB and 10,000 miles including commuting. I do have maximum no claims and live in a fairly low risk area, but believe that you do too?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Mine was unchanged, I did query it though because of the reduced mileage, and managed to get a minor reduction by accepting a reduced mileage for next year.

• Like 1