P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

It is 1°C outside, sunny but a hard white frost on the grass and car windscreen.

Pauline is at work downstairs so I am watching TV and eating breakfast upstairs.

I have a few customers to ring and a list of jobs to do while Pauline is working.

Good luck anyone having vaccine jabs this week.

Jean   I hope you are recovering well and in no pain.

Take care everyone.

Graham.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tring said:

Hopefully by the time we get into the summer the bins will be emptied as per normal and tips open as they used to be.  I do not see social distancing being a problem as there is always space between parked cars at our tips.

We had to book slots to take things to the local charity shops as they are leaving bags for a couple of days in a garage or similar before they are unpacked.

Our bins have been collected as normal throughout all lockdowns. The recycling centres reopened after the first and have been so ever since with some new rules, 2m, limit on number of cars allowed on site at any money time, gaps between cars, no assistance available from onsite staff, plus a suggestion of organising you waste before you enter site, maps provided to help with bay locations. Spot checks to ensure only residents use site.

plus a webcam so you see how long queue is before you go.

No requirement to wear masks but many do, all the staff on site do. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Our bins have been collected as normal throughout all lockdowns. The recycling centres reopened after the first and have been so ever since with some new rules, 2m, limit on number of cars allowed on site at any money time, gaps between cars, no assistance available from onsite staff, plus a suggestion of organising you waste before you enter site, maps provided to help with bay locations. Spot checks to ensure only residents use site.

Same here, we only ever go to our tip in the week since retirement as there are always queues at the weekend. We get an online permit for use at our tip.

5 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Same here, we only ever go to our tip in the week since retirement as there are always queues at the weekend. We get an online permit for use at our tip.

Same here - collected every week, even during the snow. Suspect the reason our garden bin collection carried on as normal, whereas other areas did not, is that we are charged for it and they'd have had to give pro rata refunds.

Good morning on this murky ,misty March the 1st with 0.c around here .

Today it seems we have been talking rubbish ,well the dump-it  sites :classic_wink:

The dump-it site near us is on a long country road but only yards away 

from the junction at the end of the lane that meets up with a busy main road .

They ended up making the junction one way as traffic for the dump was queuing

out into the main road . It was amazing how many people set off moaning  about 

it because it had put another mile on their journey ! Most of them would had have

been retired or furloughed working from home, so what's the problem , had they 

all got some other pressing engagement and if they had why choose to go to the 

dump on that day ? :classic_unsure: We have only been once and was sat in a half mile queue 

on the country road, it was amazing how many were using the dump-it site.

They were letting cars in at six a time as one came out another was let inside .

They had a guy keeping you to right side of the road as traffic was still travelling 

as normal on the left hand side , he would ask where you had come from which

we found strange as if you were from further away you were hardly likely to tell

him that were you ? After about a 15 minute wait you were in, dump your stuff

and on your way again . They wasn't wearing masks back then but if they were 

we would have wore one as I see no problem whilst your in the premises .

Ok it's open air and their rules say wear a mask if you work here or visit here.

Most people are in and out within ten minutes .The way we live is changing 

and we are going to come across rules we think are odd but unless anyone

has a good reason not to, just do it . The crazy thing is with our dump-it site 

is the one way system that has worked so well now the weather begins to warm

up and they get more visitors to the site , they have scrapped the one way system ,

which was a safe method , so lets hope everyone is back at work and the queues 

are small again . I suppose the detour moaners will be happy again .:classic_unsure:

Stay safe everyone ! :classic_smile:

• Like 3

Just now, AnnieC said:

Same here - collected every week, even during the snow. Suspect the reason our garden bin collection carried on as normal, whereas other areas did not, is that we are charged for it and they'd have had to give pro rata refunds.

Our charged for Brown Garden refuse bin has a winter break from sometime in November until mid Feb but ours is still empty anyway.

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Our charged for Brown Garden refuse bin has a winter break from sometime in November until mid Feb but ours is still empty anyway.

The Mrs had a rummage around our garden and managed to fill our brown bin. 

Our collection start on the 12th again .

5 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

The bin collections depend on the number of staff off ill, and our last green collection was last week so hopefully the next will be next week as normal.  In our area they are adding on extra collections before next payment, so we will pay later at a reduced rate compared to normal payment for green collection in the spring.  Seems a lot more straightforward than refunding then charging in full for next year.  They did the same last year.

I think the tips have been busy because a lot of people are doing clear outs and work at home.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kalos said:

Ours too. We were looking at the lawns yesterday, and I think our garden bin will be full of moss.😬

Avril

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kalos said:

We were told sometime in March but no exact start date.

I paid £32.50 a couple of weeks ago for the garden waste collection.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Ours too. We were looking at the lawns yesterday, and I think our garden bin will be full of moss.😬

Avril

Moss is a nuisance and does not rot in the compost heap, apart from bits of it at a time.

On 2/27/2021 at 5:18 PM, Presto2 said:

Noooooooooo. Oh well, we think 5 of the 6 little 'uns survived last year and say hello to them when we are in the park 🙂 Had a beautiful walk there again today - just so lovely to feel the sunshine and hear the birds welcoming the Spring 🙂

Just to let you know Presto, the heron is back 🤢. I saw him flying above the pond at the bottom end of Pitshill, so very near to your favourite park. I think he had been annoying a couple of geese and was being pursued by a couple of gulls. It seemed to be darker in colour than the one we ‘cherished’ last year but I have heard that they go darker when they get a bit older. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings! 🤨. Nature is waking up from it’s winter slumbers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Same here. Nor much difference at all. Perhaps a few less cars.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

That webcam sounds very useful.  After last summer's lock down DH was told there would be over an hour's wait, but would be much quicker at another one in our local authority area, which he was able to get to by an easy (~7 mile) motorway journey, so he moved on.  They were closing the tip queue later in the day as they would not have had enough time to get everyone through, not that we would usually go then, as it is always a busy time of course after a day collecting stuff together.

I think they always collect what bins they can, even the recyclable stuff.  Last summer we were putting some garden waste in the normal waste bin as it had to go somewhere and tips were closed (pruning of flowering shrubs time), but that means the local authority have their statistics on amount of waste re-cycled skewed against them.  We often keep some waste (bigger branches etc. under trees or to the side of the house), but mounds of smaller clippings would have meant a ready made rat nesting area and/or stuff blowing about if there was a breeze.

Anyway nice day here so off into the garden later.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

We were told sometime in March but no exact start date.

I paid £32.50 a couple of weeks ago for the garden waste collection.

Go online to your local council website for bin collections and you'll find the dates on there.

Avril

Went to my local tip on Thursday no booking system, no queues opening hours as normal and no wearing masks. I was in and out within 5 minutes. The only restriction is staff will not help to unload your vehicle which is understandable.

37 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Go online to your local council website for bin collections and you'll find the dates on there.

Avril

Thanks Avril.

When I paid it said collections start early March 2021.

I had tried online but it wasn't showing brown garden waste bins so I just rang the council and April 2nd is first collection.

Graham.

• Like 1

Has anyone else's gardening skills improved during this quarantine like mine have?

I planted myself on my couch at the beginning of  last March and I've grown quite a lot

since then  .:classic_unsure:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Afternoon all. Well yesterday was awful. A lot of pain. However had 8 hours sleep and awoke feeling much better.  Physios came and got me on my feet with a frame and I could go to the loo.  My bedpan nightmare is over!

If they ask me one more time about my bowels and my bp I will scream 

If all well should be allowed home on Wednesday.  Thanks for all your good wishes. 

• Like 19