Florida requiring self quarentine

The thinking is that after New York locked down there was a big increase of people flying from New York to south Florida.  South Florida is the hot spot for the virus for Florida.  Cause and effect?  Who knows.

17 minutes ago, suesnake2002 said:

Florida is requiring people from NY, NJ, CT to self quarantine for 2 weeks when flying in. Exempt is connecting flights, pilots and stewardess, medical personel. How will this affect the cruise ships restarting. 

I’m not sure how cruising can begin when interstate travel is having quarantines, let alone international travellers.  

IMO, I think this is a sign that other States will follow suit.  This has already been happening in Canada, with 14 day quarantines for travel within provinces for us. Until all 14 day quarantines are over for travel,  there is no way I see cruises happening. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, suesnake2002 said:

Possibly all those snowbirds returning to fla. I live in NY and yesterday our positive was over 20k. 

Remember the snowbirds (long term seasonal tourists) migrate down to Florida in fall or early winter.  They return to their northern homes in the spring.  This is spring.  Snowbirds should be heading north now/soon.  

News reports say that after NY issued a shelter in place order, the number of New Yorker booking flights to Florida suddenly spiked!  That is not the way to shelter in place; that is the way to spread disease!  They should shelter in place and not board the flight for non-essential travel.  As I understand it, if they do fly to Florida, they will be medically screened, and required to quarantine themselves for 14 days (not with family); violating this quarantine is a criminal offense. 

If the quarantine tine remains in effect, and if (yeah, big if) cruises do resume April 11, someone would face criminal penalty if they flew from those airports to Florida and violated quarantine by boarding a cruise ship.  IANAL but they might face civil suits as well if Covid19 could be traced to their behavior.

• Haha 1

It won't.  Self-absorbed Long Island doctor flew down to Palm Beach knowing he had COVID and now neighbors in his community are infected.  Luckily, this has not stopped any of them from going to brunch or nail salons.  

Florida state orders are a joke since there is no enforcement of any of them.  

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:
29 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

It won't.  Self-absorbed Long Island doctor flew down to Palm Beach knowing he had COVID and now neighbors in his community are infected.  Luckily, this has not stopped any of them from going to brunch or nail salons.  

Florida state orders are a joke since there is no enforcement of any of them.  

It has been maddening seeing Florida's "response" to the virus. Those spring breakers partying on Florida beaches will be seen as a very grave mistake in the near future. 

Madrid was being hit much more than the rest of Spain and closed all restaurants and bars and later went on lock-down.  It had to become a national lock-down a few days later. 

One of the main reasons for the National lock-down being implemented was that many of those from Madrid packed up and moved to their coastal homes in Valencia and Andalusia, many bringing the virus with them to the coastal areas from Madrid. 

The other reason was that the local and national governments and the different Spanish states learned from the experiences of the others. A national lock-down proved the only way to go. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, suesnake2002 said:

Florida is requiring people from NY, NJ, CT to self quarantine for 2 weeks when flying in. Exempt is connecting flights, pilots and stewardess, medical personel. How will this affect the cruise ships restarting. 

Not at all - ships aren't sailing for months anyway.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Remember the snowbirds (long term seasonal tourists) migrate down to Florida in fall or early winter.  They return to their northern homes in the spring.  This is spring.  Snowbirds should be heading north now/soon.  

News reports say that after NY issued a shelter in place order, the number of New Yorker booking flights to Florida suddenly spiked!  That is not the way to shelter in place; that is the way to spread disease!  They should shelter in place and not board the flight for non-essential travel.  As I understand it, if they do fly to Florida, they will be medically screened, and required to quarantine themselves for 14 days (not with family); violating this quarantine is a criminal offense. 

If the quarantine tine remains in effect, and if (yeah, big if) cruises do resume April 11, someone would face criminal penalty if they flew from those airports to Florida and violated quarantine by boarding a cruise ship.  IANAL but they might face civil suits as well if Covid19 could be traced to their behavior.

First of all, I personally know several people who are snowbirds who are staying in Fl. and not going back up North.  They don't want to fly and catch the virus on the plane and they don't want to drive.

Second,  our Governor is asking people to self quarantine, but how do you enforce it?  The stupid will remain stupid and not care about infecting others.

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I’m not sure how cruising can begin when interstate travel is having quarantines, let alone international travellers.  

Hi Andrew,

Hope Owen, Lisa, Lucy and your extended family are all well.

I remember you're going to Hawaii?

Stay healthy, 

These same infected people who fly are the same ones who would hide a zombie bite. 

We have a house in pa (we like snow)   We went there this weekend. We packed all our provisions, and drove straight to the house. Did not interact with any one. Just to break things up. This is what we saw on the way up. Testing tents at a state park. 

20200322_130834.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Hi Andrew,

Hope Owen, Lisa, Lucy and your extended family are all well.

I remember you're going to Hawaii?

Stay healthy, 

We cancelled almost 3 weeks ago. We should have been going next week. I was able to get all our deposits refunded, and a flight credit with one year to use. With optimism, we rebooked the same hotel for mid-November.  We aren’t going to book airfare for a while. I saw this last night in FB, which unfortunately was no surprise.

Stay safe Dani and thanks for asking about us. 

A4CB72C0-D6FD-41B9-A29B-32419DFCCB8D.thumb.jpeg.622a23fd15c12be453282bfe07bc343b.jpeg

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, rucruisn2 said:

First of all, I personally know several people who are snowbirds who are staying in Fl. and not going back up North.  They don't want to fly and catch the virus on the plane and they don't want to drive.

Second,  our Governor is asking people to self quarantine, but how do you enforce it?  The stupid will remain stupid and not care about infecting others.

My point was the true snowbirds have been with us in Florida through the winter; they are not now boarding southbound flights.  And if they have the option, the snowbirds should consider staying put rather than traveling right now....so good for your acquaintances.  

Our Governor is not asking them to quarantine, he is ordering them to do so.  To disobey is a criminal act.  Hopefully, that fact will be enough to make many decide to just follow the shelter in place NY area and not engage in non-essential travel.  Is there an enforcement mechanism?  I have not heard of one.  But presumably if caught violating the quarantine, they may face criminal penalties.  IANAL, but suspect they could open themselves to civil suits as well if their behavior can be argued to have impacted others.  

Hawaii has put into new travel restrictions.  Anyone US citizen or not,  arriving into the islands are put on mandatory 14 day quarantine.  $5,000.00 fine and time in jail for violators.  Residents are required to stay at home.  

Florida has not come to that..yet...but Monroe county (all of the Florida Keys) is not allowing visitors to the islands now.  

It has started.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

My BIL is renting his house in Florida across the street from ours, and the renters are leaving 2 weeks early to drive back up to their residence in Michigan. They are both retired, so we're not sure why they decided to do that. One would think they would be better off staying where they are in Florida. They will probably have similar restrictions in Michigan I would think.

3 hours ago, suesnake2002 said:

I would think by the time cruise ships start sailing then the quarantine would be lifted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, suesnake2002 said:

These same infected people who fly are the same ones who would hide a zombie bite. 

We have a house in pa (we like snow)   We went there this weekend. We packed all our provisions, and drove straight to the house. Did not interact with any one. Just to break things up. This is what we saw on the way up. Testing tents at a state park. 

20200322_130834.jpg

Drove from where?

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Hawaii has put into new travel restrictions.  Anyone US citizen or not,  arriving into the islands are put on mandatory 14 day quarantine.  $5,000.00 fine and time in jail for violators.  Residents are required to stay at home.  

Florida has not come to that..yet...but Monroe county (all of the Florida Keys) is not allowing visitors to the islands now.  

It has started.  

We are in lock down in the UK.

3 hours ago, bouhunter said:

Not at all - ships aren't sailing for months anyway.

Correct, because they have no where to go. The ports of call are closed. Oasis is sending a lot of its crew home. They can't just get them back at a moments notice. March is almost over. Anyone who thinks cruising is going to start up anytime soon is not paying any attention at all.

• Like 3

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241372271.html

A company that makes Internet-connected thermometers has found “widespread atypical illness” throughout Florida that can’t be explained by the late flu season and, public health experts warn, it may be a sign that coronavirus infections may be more widespread in the state than previously reported.

Unfortunately FL is probably the next NY.

Edited by flyguyjake