Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, Coralc said:

We love cheese!  But I am just sharing it in case anyone is interested. I really don't like cooking. Mostly because I dislike coming up with , "What to eat for dinner?". So I appreciate different recipes and meal ideas that have been posted on this thread. :classic_biggrin:

If I was stranded on an island I could eat cheese and crackers forever. 

I too am starting to get tired of "what's for dinner." 

I might try a small portion of the cheese fondue. If it doesn't meet with approval I'll just smear it on sandwiches.

I also love all the different food shares.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

The big find was a tube containing a handwritten family tree dating back to 1750.  He is from the UK with European ancestry.

9 hours ago, Coralc said:

That is a very extensive Family Tree! :classic_biggrin: I'll bet it is really interesting! :classic_smile:

6 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Wow that is an amazing find.  I love that kind of stuff.  

+1

1750 -- how impressive 👍

• Like 1

Vividly remembering 20 years ago today....

Just finished sorting laundry, and began ironing my boys' army uniforms. They served at the same time.

DH was home early, after a visit to his doctor.

From the other side of the flat, he shouted: "a small plane just hit one of the twin towers"..... I thought to myself: "poor small plane, no match to the mighty tower"... and continued ironing.

I wish it was just a small plane.😢

PHOTO_20140918_161252.jpg

Edited by dani negreanu
added picture
  • Like 23

8 hours ago, Coralc said:

It is a really old Better Homes & Gardens family recipe. But we all really like it. 

Modifications: 1) We have a fondue pot that sits on an electric heater, so we make it in the fondue pot on the stove and then transfer pot to warmer. 2) We really like garlic, so I actually press about 4 good sized cloves or add some minced garlic directly in to the wine before adding the cheese. 3) Substitute Barefoot Moscato wine for Sauterne. 4) Big fan of Swiss cheese, so I add maybe an ounce or more extra. 5) Round loaf of sourdough is best, (more crust area) and slightly stale or dry. 

We love it, and look forward to it once a month or so, during fall & winter. :classic_biggrin: Gruyere is available at our local supermarket (Safeway) in the specialty cheese area.  We just buy the smallest block we can find and freeze the little leftovers for future meals. 

Classic Cheese Fondue.jpg

I’m still hanging on to my fondue pots and forks in case we ever get ambitious again. Reading about your chess fondue has got me wanting some. 
We used to have fondue dinner parties that began with cheese fondue and went to steak and veggies. 
I used a mix of Swiss and Gruyere, and I’ll bet the recipe was from Better Homes snd Gardens!

For the steak and veggies, it was a very 
unhealthy mix of butter and peanut oil, but boy, was it good. 
A variety of sauces for dipping, including chutney, and we were happy fonduers!

This was in the 70’s, so I guess we all wore polyester!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My TSOTD for 9/11

1A1F6986-090C-4400-85FC-D9487FFEB4BC.thumb.jpeg.f8ded60c3ec63650db3f1a08440bc897.jpeg

And my coffee is in this cup this morning 

D9BE3000-D244-45F9-9298-CC700D661C52.thumb.jpeg.2a9041b0934bcc49ce7389175ded7de8.jpeg

Twenty years ago I arrived at a construction site to hold a weekly progress meeting with the contractor.   While outside, reviewing the site, a plane came over.  We all commented at how low it was, and how out of the ordinary it was because it was not in the flight path for any of the airports.  We would only find out later that this was Flight 93. 

After learning of the attacks later that morning, the contractor raised American Flags on top of a couple of the job site cranes.  I wish I could find the original photo I took, but could only find the one that I made semi-transparent to use on a webpage.  

8F2D113E-F5AC-419B-9DA9-B2DE948362A7.jpeg.96d18e8c39dbba0a52fc3c52bccae33a.jpeg

Never forget. 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 

• Like 23

When I booked our return flight for today, I was only using week to week (Saturday check in and check out), and didn't pay enough attention to the date.  Sooo here we are flying on the 20th anniversary of the sad day.  Guessing there may be some minutes of silence on the plane and in the airport.

And we are flying over NY and connecting in Philly.  

• Like 12

22 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

My TSOTD for 9/11

1A1F6986-090C-4400-85FC-D9487FFEB4BC.thumb.jpeg.f8ded60c3ec63650db3f1a08440bc897.jpeg

And my coffee is in this cup this morning 

D9BE3000-D244-45F9-9298-CC700D661C52.thumb.jpeg.2a9041b0934bcc49ce7389175ded7de8.jpeg

Twenty years ago I arrived at a construction site to hold a weekly progress meeting with the contractor.   While outside, reviewing the site, a plane came over.  We all commented at how low it was, and how out of the ordinary it was because it was not in the flight path for any of the airports.  We would only find out later that this was Flight 93. 

After learning of the attacks later that morning, the contractor raised American Flags on top of a couple of the job site cranes.  I wish I could find the original photo I took, but could only find the one that I made semi-transparent to use on a webpage.  

8F2D113E-F5AC-419B-9DA9-B2DE948362A7.jpeg.96d18e8c39dbba0a52fc3c52bccae33a.jpeg

Never forget. 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 

I was at my fathers house in Latrobe, Pa.  We had just had my mothers funeral, and we had to deal with my dad.   I was standing out on the patio, when I saw the local volunteer fireman responding to a call. Then a motorhome came rushing down the highway. But it had flashing blue lights. Unusual, I asked my wife to turn the TV on, something is going on.  

Just to the east of us, were the Laurel mountains.  On the other side is Shanksville , Pa.

Edited by mo&fran
  • Like 8

On 9/11, I would like to remember all those who were killed.  In my case, I would like to especially remember the dad of a boy at my sons' school. The boy, an only child, was in 6th grade.  And a woman who died that I had previously worked with, who was a sweet lady who gave me tips on making lasagna. They both worked in the towers. 

Today weather-wise is a beautiful day here, reminiscent of the actual day 20 years ago. 

❤️🤍💙 

• Like 17

6 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I love Pikes Market. We had to do the same. I asked the room steward if he had anything and he brought back a large plastic champagne/wine cooler container. Worked great. Most of our flowers lasted longer, but I had them make me a bouquet with lots of the large lilies. They last longer than most of the other flowers do. I picked out the other ones as they died. On another cruise I asked the room steward for the same container and he said they didn’t have any. We were in a GS the first time so maybe that made a difference.

If someone has allergies do not buy the big lilies or other flowers with a lot of pollen. Mike kept sneezing and we thought it was dust in the room. Finally figured out what it was so I cut the stamens off. It worked so I didn’t have to throw them away. 😁

It's funny there on no vases on a cruiseship, at one time you used to be able to buy fresh cut flowers on a cruiseship and have them sent to your cabin in a vase. I guess no longer do that?

We hunted around we grabbed one of those fancy  metal wine cooler container from the Tusan Grill On Celebrity Infinity, walked in there when it wasn't open. LOL. We covered it in a jacket as we ran back to our cabins like little kids. lol  We used some hand towels to take up some of the space in the container.

Seattle was one of the last stops on the Pacific Coastal Cruise.

Inbetween cruises we go off in Vancouver and bought a vase onshore. 

Our cabin steward on the first leg took the flowers to our new cabin for the 2nd leg to Alaska. The flowers were still in perfect condition even to the end of that 7 day cruise.

Here are the before and after pictures.

1030106607_PacificCoastalandAlaskaCruise394.JPG.703711d4169ad4c1c0ece1d2c10986d5.JPG

1899316077_PacificCoastalandAlaskaCruise393.JPG.9a7073d3eca3c9f91c9ce7456b190a8a.JPG

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 6

20 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I know I cannot imagine doing these 3 or 4 night cruises on Freedom.   It is tough enough for me to get off the ship after a 7 night sailing.   We, too prefer to b2b's and b2b2b's if price is right.    Works for us since we can work anywhere as long as we have wifi.     

Longer cruises might be fun when I no longer work. However, right now I tend to find that after an 8 day cruise I rather look forward to getting back to a normal routine. I also like getting back to my normal eating habits. 

Maybe after trying a longer cruise I'll find that I like them. I do find that I really like the extra day of an 8 night cruise over a 7. I have no interest in short 3-4 night cruises. I would definitely need to adjust my eating, and even my drinking, on a longer cruise though. I know that I don't eat in a healthy way on a ship and I feel it at the end of the cruise.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

at one time you used to be able to buy fresh cut flowers on a cruise ship and have them sent to your cabin in a vase.

On our 1st ever cruise (Jewel OTS out of Miami, February 2010), there was a cart, I think on the 5th floor, vending flowers.

Not seen since then.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Has me thinking of Celebrity in the future.

Give it a try.

I went with Celebrity to Galapagos, since RC wasn't in the game. Top notch experience.

Since then, I alternate, depending mainly on the itinerary, and then, on the ship.

For example, Allure was in Europe in 2015, and wanted to experience the biggest cruise ship, even if the itinerary was not so interesting.

Now, I try to be on their newest class, the Edge, but Covid keeps interfering....

Personally - the food is better in X, the entertainment better in RC.

• Like 5

@h20skibum

We ate at The Grand Resort  a few weeks back also pool side and the band although excellent was very LOUD.

It was the first time for us there and the scenery was stunning.  Some of the pool guest were dressed how shall we say scantily😳, and their bikinis should have had a tad more bikini to them.

Last week we went to The ChopHouse, had a booth at the bar and had a very good meal.  I had the chicken Marsala, and DH had some type of fish.  The Long Island Ice Tea was mmmmmm.

Tonight church group going to Salvatores after mass.

Since your a walker why don't we meet up and walk and talk one day.

I enjoy early, hard for me to do trails better on bike path or Eastwood mall.

Let me know.

We are cruising in 28 days.

@Ozark_Kid

Kenzie is beautiful, very photogenic.

You are truly blessed, great family.

On 911

I was at work in a 4 hour anesthesia case.  I was mentoring a senior student soon to be graduating.

We are permitted to stand back and observe and intervene as needed.

We were listening to the radio, and heard about a small plane hitting one of the towers.

I told her I am going to go out and look at the TV and watch for any news.

As I was watching I saw the second plane hit the tower.

I called home and told my mom to turn on the TV

I called my DDs school and they went in lockdown.

I called the DH and he was ready to call me.

(Now mind you we did not have the best cell phones back then so it was hard getting through to every one quickly).

After that case was done, they cancelled all surgeries and kept a minimum staff of call people on for emergencies, and we were all dismissed to go home.

Our school would permit the students to be picked up in the car line, and when I got there the car line was to the street, I waited my turn, and they brought our DD then a first grader to the car.

As I drove home my gas tank was half full, I was going to stop at the corner Sunoco, but the line was all the way down rte 193 and gas prices I vaguely remember were posted at over $8 dollars a gallon.

I just went home.

The next morning gas was down to normal price and I just drove in topped off my tank on my way to work at 5:45am.

@singinalot

Your posting of pictures are awesome.

You have the ability of catching the moment, not just taking a picture.

I look forward to your pictures.

@dani negreanu

On this day September 11.  Now no matter what year it is since the terrorist attack I get more emotional and appreciate what I have and what I am able to do.

This thread has been a great outlet of my postings, but more importantly meeting new friends and learning about things I would have never known.

From Personal travesties, to fun family moments to travels of many (Island lady sharing all her locations through great pictures) to how can I forget  (((((((LUCY))))))) the Canadian Cat.

And watching Owen growing up to a fine young man.

I would love to go on and on, but I think we all know how special this thread is.

". . . . Remember in life their is always something olde to be sought and enjoyed, always something new to be found treasured and shared, thank you for sharing your lives with me. . . . "

Take care

Sea Ya

Stay Healthy

Sue

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1