Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Copy of what I posted on Bella's thread:

Jack and I got our 3rd covid shots yesterday at Walmart.  Just walked in, showed our vaccine cards, insurance info, filled out some forms and we were good to go.  No proof necessary to show auto immune issues.  

They aren't calling it a booster and say it is exactly like the 2nd shot we already got. Our arms are super sore like they were after the 2nd shot but I know it only lasts a day or two.

Pictures of sweet Kenzie, the birthday girl, make me smile. 😃

• Like 5

About two months ago Sharon and I applied to get TSA approved.  A couple of days later Sharon’s was approved but I was not.  We just got notified today that I am now approved.  Not sure what happened.  Maybe they noticed I was on CC a lot and thought they needed to dig a bit deeper.

• Haha 9

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

Charlie’s father died on the tenth.  While he was making funeral arrangements with his family I was driving my son to work when we heard.  We just assumed it was another small plane that hit the tower as had happened in the past.  Could not believe it  when the second plane hit.

One of my son in laws saw the second plane hit from his work window.My wife saw the smoke from the hospital she was working in.

A school friend of mine was a NYC police officer on duty near the WTC .He later on became a consultant on the movie that came out in 2006.

• Like 1

Know I posted on one of the threads on CC but don't remember if it was this one.

My DH was working about 2 blocks from the trade center in Sept of 2001, on the 10th he was in the book store in the trade center looking for a spanish/English dictionary for our daughter as all the store by us were sold out.  His usual routine was to be at their NJ office on Tuesdays, which the 11th was that year.  He worked IT and was asked to go into the building as soon as they were allowed to get the executives laptops out that were left behind. He went on the following Saturday, the 15th, the scene he saw was unimaginable.

Our daughter was supposed to sing the National Anthem at a minor league base all park that night, I left work early to pick the kids up from school.  Many of the parents worked in Manhattan and were spread quickly, didn't want them worrying about their father. My daughter's biggest concern, was the baseball game going to be canceled.  The chorus never did get their chance to sing at the stadium.

DH took the bus into the city, one if the saddest sights was seeing the cars that remained in the parking lot for days after, hard to believe ithasbeen 20 years, still remember it like it was yesterday.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

We found that to be true also on our Celebrity sailings.

Our celebrity sailing do have way better entertainment, but most of our celebrity sailing are music charters with musicians like America, Micheal McDonald, Boz Scaggs, Rita Coolidge Jefferson Starship ...etc etc . They do cost more. Next one is February.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Give it a try.

I went with Celebrity to Galapagos, since RC wasn't in the game. Top notch experience.

Since then, I alternate, depending mainly on the itinerary, and then, on the ship.

For example, Allure was in Europe in 2015, and wanted to experience the biggest cruise ship, even if the itinerary was not so interesting.

Now, I try to be on their newest class, the Edge, but Covid keeps interfering....

Personally - the food is better in X, the entertainment better in RC.

We had our first Celebrity cruise last week on Silhouette.  We should of gone last year on her to Norway but 🤷‍♀️ stuff got in the way 😏

Entertainment was similar to the smaller RC ships and nowhere near as good as the big Royal ships like Anthem or the Oasis class. It was all headliners as there was a covid outbreak with two of the singers and dancers and they were all isolating.  The cruise director did a good job on getting last minute acts to replace the production shows.

IMO the food was similar or slightly better. 

The sunset bar was a lovely area.

My biggest disappointment was not having a wrap around promenade deck to walk right around the ship 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

One of my son in laws saw the second plane hit from his work window.My wife saw the smoke from the hospital she was working in.

A school friend of mine was a NYC police officer on duty near the WTC .He later on became a consultant on the movie that came out in 2006.

One of my cousins was introduced on NPR as an NYFD Battalion Commander. 
I haven’t heard that title before or since. 
He was interviewed about the losses his firehouse sustained. 
He was out on disability on 9/11 because a hose got loose and destroyed his knee. We listened to the broadcast, and could hear  the emotional torment that he wasn’t there that day. 
His older brother was a stockbroker on one of the higher floors. He was home recovering from a heart attack. 
Theur sister was an RN on duty at the client hospital to Ground Zero. 
Our family members were  so lucky to have been safe when the guys would normally been at risk. 
Our local newspaper has been running articles about residents who were involved ir who last loved ones on 9/11. 
Twenty years and it feels like yesterday. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Coralc said:

I had fondue at a friend's house back in the 70's. I came home and told my mom about how wonderful it was. Since we already had a fondue pot and the cookbook...we have been enjoying it ever since. Mom is gone now. But Bill & I really like it, except for the calories. 

Fondue Pot.jpg

Photo of Fondue.jpg

I have that exact ceramic fondue pot! It was my moms. We have fondue every Christmas Eve and Raclette on New Years Eve.

• Like 3

9/11

Watching NBC Morning News while on the phone, I saw the first plane hit the Tower; I said to my friend, I can't believe a plane just hit the World Trade Center!  While still watching, I then saw the second plane hit.  

Fighter jets then flew over our house, heading to Manhattan.

My friend called back and asked my daughter and myself to pick up her daughters from their schools.  

When I got to the one school, it was just starting to get a little crazy, as students were being called from their classrooms, not knowing what was going on.   

We then lost phone service.

Jim had retired from FDNY in 1999, but had all of his fire gear;  his boots, his turnout coat, and his helmet.

Jim and his fellow retired friends headed to Manhattan the next day, and went for a total of 6 days, helping with the search and rescue.  

The funerals then began for us.

Several of the firemen Jim worked with lost their sons.

We only went to one wake, since only one of the bodies had been recovered.

One of the girls I worked with lost her husband.  

I could go on, but won't.

I cannot believe it's been 20 years.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

9/11

Watching NBC Morning News while on the phone, I saw the first plane hit the Tower; I said to my friend, I can't believe a plane just hit the World Trade Center!  While still watching, I then saw the second plane hit.  

Fighter jets then flew over our house, heading to Manhattan.

My friend called back and asked my daughter and myself to pick up her daughters from their schools.  

When I got to the one school, it was just starting to get a little crazy, as students were being called from their classrooms, not knowing what was going on.   

We then lost phone service.

Jim had retired from FDNY in 1999, but had all of his fire gear;  his boots, his turnout coat, and his helmet.

Jim and his fellow retired friends headed to Manhattan the next day, and went for a total of 6 days, helping with the search and rescue.  

The funerals then began for us.

Several of the firemen Jim worked with lost their sons.

We only went to one wake, since only one of the bodies had been recovered.

One of the girls I worked with lost her husband.  

I could go on, but won't.

I cannot believe it's been 20 years.

😥

On 9/10/2021 at 1:05 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

I know I cannot imagine doing these 3 or 4 night cruises on Freedom.   It is tough enough for me to get off the ship after a 7 night sailing.   We, too prefer to b2b's and b2b2b's if price is right.    Works for us since we can work anywhere as long as we have wifi.     

We are on a 4 night Freedom this Monday and added the 3 night after it because 4 days is just to short. I’m thinking of adding the 4 day for a b3b but we don’t think Mike will be able to make that one so I’m not sure if I will or not. If I do I’ll probably book at the very last minute.

On 9/10/2021 at 6:22 PM, Jimbo said:

@John&LaLa was going to get me a recipe about 2 weeks ago, not sure if he ever posted it back then or not.  I missed it if he did because I was a bad boy. Did anyone see it if he posted it?

You played monopoly?

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Jimbo said:

It's funny there on no vases on a cruiseship, at one time you used to be able to buy fresh cut flowers on a cruiseship and have them sent to your cabin in a vase. I guess no longer do that?

We hunted around we grabbed one of those fancy  metal wine cooler container from the Tusan Grill On Celebrity Infinity, walked in there when it wasn't open. LOL. We covered it in a jacket as we ran back to our cabins like little kids. lol  We used some hand towels to take up some of the space in the container.

Seattle was one of the last stops on the Pacific Coastal Cruise.

Inbetween cruises we go off in Vancouver and bought a vase onshore. 

Our cabin steward on the first leg took the flowers to our new cabin for the 2nd leg to Alaska. The flowers were still in perfect condition even to the end of that 7 day cruise.

Here are the before and after pictures.

1030106607_PacificCoastalandAlaskaCruise394.JPG.703711d4169ad4c1c0ece1d2c10986d5.JPG

1899316077_PacificCoastalandAlaskaCruise393.JPG.9a7073d3eca3c9f91c9ce7456b190a8a.JPG

Beautiful. I love flowers. I might stop at Bj’s Monday morning to pick some up. It just depends how much time I’ll have before check in. It will be on our way from the paver company down to Miami. Yup, we are stopping at a paver company to sign the paperwork before we leave. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1