Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 minutes ago, singinalot said:

paint made a great difference!

A little too white maybe? My contractor had some time and I wanted it not brown. Here you can see the round bushes from when I bought it. Got them both cut way back. Maybe 30 sacks of mulch. 

Oh my favorite thing yesterday he put in new outside faucets, new tech with a pressure valve. They dont have to be wrapped every winter when it freezes. The water doesnt stay in the pipe to expand. 

Actually i have hardwood floors some day i could refinish. For right now replaced carpet. Gutting the kitchen and doing all new cabinets and appliances the big job. New wood look waterproof floor. Changed back to 3 bedrooms for resale. Lots of work in both baths but not total gut job like kitchen.

IMG_20180222_103909.jpg

IMG_20180517_150546.jpg

• Like 1

Dont seem to have good before and after of the kitchen. We did it earlier this year. The tile floor was a bear to get out.

Big difference in back bath too. But this gives you a idea how sweeping the changes have been. New overhead 6 lights, no old fashioning hanging, backsplash, etc. That's what I've been doing this year.

IMG_20180419_151320.jpg

20201113_223530.jpg

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Coralc said:

It's kind of a lot of white, but you will get used to it. And it will fade. :classic_biggrin:

If I'd had more time I would have gone with cream color, but my contractor called 2 days ago and had time. 

Prices are set to rise over 6% in the next year. I know it's hard to believe what houses cost here. My cousins daughter said oh the poor people live here. Lol .. hard to believe houses like mine selling for almost a qtr million dollars. Theres one on my block asking 224k and it only has a one car garage.

Yea it's a little too white, but at least it wouldnt look dirty.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Coralc said:

We are really bored when watching an old cow barn being reduced to ashes is my viewing highlight of the day. Thanks for posting all the photos. It is a fun thread to catch up on what everyone is doing in these uncertain times. :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin: 

It is sad that the Seadream cruise imploded. :classic_sad:

Agree on both counts.....😢

First night our grandkid (4 years old) asked to sleep over....

And we (actually DH, since the kid wanted to sleep in a "big, grownup bed". I was relegated to our son's single bedroom) lived to tell 😁

After all those years, I was afraid my DIL will never let him...🤣

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, singinalot said:

we’re still in process - Niceville. It’s just outside of Destin. my grandma has lived there for 30+ years. After my grandpa died she moved there with his military benefits, fell in love again, and never left. Her boyfriend of 30 years passed away this May and the headstone was just recently delivered. Because of COVID there was quite a delay in the supply chain. 😞

I spent a lot of time in that area. Elgin AFB was one of my customers. 

M8

9 hours ago, singinalot said:

ok...what is it?

It is the left overs of the the shed and hay feeder. I propped up the remaining bean so when I have another fire it will get great heat and burning capability.  It was originally 30’ long as is now about 8’.

it looks like modern art. I should market it to Park West. 😂 

9 hours ago, Coralc said:

We are really bored when watching an old cow barn being reduced to ashes is my viewing highlight of the day. Thanks for posting all the photos. It is a fun thread to catch up on what everyone is doing in these uncertain times. :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin: 

It is sad that the Seadream cruise imploded. :classic_sad:

Just like my live reviews, I am here to entertain.🙂

As for SeaDream... 😞 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

A little too white maybe? My contractor had some time and I wanted it not brown. Here you can see the round bushes from when I bought it. Got them both cut way back. Maybe 30 sacks of mulch. 

It brightened it up.  I wish people wouldn't plant little bushes which are sure to grow to big bushes in front of homes.  We had to take out 3 bush/trees when we bought this house and I am still fighting roots.  Sigh.  It sounds like your home will be just right for you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Yesterday got the outside trim of my tiny house painted. It was brown, now its maybe too white. My parents have a very large house 5 minutes away so I bought a tiny house near them. Not the house I would have chosen, but it suits me except I'd like more land. I'm spitting distance to the city of dallas and in a good school district. Spent 20k gutting the kitchen, another 15k doing other work. Was a estate sale and needed everything. I used to flip houses, so making it my own. When I bought there was a pine tree by the garage corner, and two LARGE  shrubs that was round and so big they scraped the roof. New silver, stainless steel mailbox and painted trim yesterday and a few inside jobs by my contractor. Now that the bush is cut back, I could add doorbell security... not the prettiest house ..

But its mine, paid cash. Once it's done all my money can go to cruises. 

20201112_083052.jpg

20201113_163048.jpg

I like the bright white paint.  Great job!

Owning a home free and clear is a wonderful feeling!!   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Yep. I was shocked somewhat with our tour of Isarel and the size of homes. 

M8

I remember when my husbands best man came over to England from Canada 35 years ago for our wedding, we were living in a small 2 bedroom terrace house. He couldn't believe the small fridge and mini car. He called it the land of lilliput 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Yep. I was shocked somewhat with our tour of Isarel and the size of homes. 

M8

Hawaii the local areas, houses are very small. Bedrooms are often walk in closet size. My first house there was a 1 bedroom about 550 sf. 

So maybe the ten years I lived there I got used to small houses. ..and we had 2 or 3 foster kids living with us. Here they expect a bedroom for the kids. Over there only a drawer for clothes required, unless its changed. ..and more people typically live together. I heard a woman once say she moved from a 3 to a 2 bedroom. The kids were just too far away in the 3 bedroom. It's different but fun from here. Ohana your family is much more important and family parties, luauas 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, singinalot said:

we’re still in process - Niceville. It’s just outside of Destin. my grandma has lived there for 30+ years. After my grandpa died she moved there with his military benefits, fell in love again, and never left. Her boyfriend of 30 years passed away this May and the headstone was just recently delivered. Because of COVID there was quite a delay in the supply chain. 😞

Sorry to hear about your Mom's boyfriend and your Grandpa.  Bet they had a nice life together in Niceville.  Still get a chuckle when I hear that town's name.  😉  Yes, we know the Niceville area very well, and have a good friend that lives there.  He takes care of the turtle rescue program in the Destin area beaches.  

Really pretty there being on the north side of the bay.   Got some rather noisy neighbors to the north and east of you though...but we get a kick out of them.  Burning up the fuel in the sky!!  Fascinating to watch.  🙂  Amazing how many military bases are all over the Panhandle area.  Shame about the mass destruction to the base in Tindall from the hurricane.  😞 

We got a kick out of the tiny kitchens in France.  Smaller than the kitchen in my motor home even! 😮

But the big difference seemed to be they did not need to store tons of food in their fridge/freezers like we do...most of them shopped for fresh food daily.  Not really a bad thing.  🙂  Well...that was before Covid of course.  😞 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, singinalot said:

and the headstone was just recently delivered. 

😞

Sorry to hear about any death. Where I live the cemetery doesnt allow headstones. One of my duplicate bridge friends buring her son out in the country under a tree in a cemetery that allowed headstones.

We picked our a place for my parents here where I live and which color marble stone marker etc. They have them all flat for grass mowing purposes. There is one small section for some kind of orthodox something where their religion apparently requires a headstone that has them.

The Joy's of city living

52 minutes ago, island lady said:

We got a kick out of the tiny kitchens in France.

Once upon a time (2013) .... we AiB&B-ed a small apt. in the Marais (Paris). One eye (electric) stove!!!! Very small fridge.

BUT, a big supermarche downstairs, with a huge array of champignons, meats, fish -- you name it.

DH was in (7th) heaven -- every day, after touring, we "toured" the super and he cooked amazing meals from fresh products, even though he had to do it one at a time with only one eye...

Next time (???) we'll carefully choose an apt with a big kitchen, also next to a big supermarche 😁

• Like 2

10 hours ago, singinalot said:

paint made a great difference!

10 hours ago, firefly333 said:

A little too white maybe? My contractor had some time and I wanted it not brown.

10 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I like the white. It makes the bricks pop.

10 hours ago, Coralc said:

It's kind of a lot of white, but you will get used to it. And it will fade. :classic_biggrin:

10 hours ago, firefly333 said:

If I'd had more time I would have gone with cream color, but my contractor called 2 days ago and had time. 

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

I like the cherry color of your floors -- it is a "warm and cosy" one 👍

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

It brightened it up. 

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I like the bright white paint.

5 minutes ago, davekathy said:

IMO, cream would have gone well with the colors in the brick(s). 

After 35 years of marriage, my wife has convinced me I have no opinion on things like this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Once upon a time (2013) .... we AiB&B-ed a small apt. in the Marais (Paris). One eye (electric) stove!!!! Very small fridge.

BUT, a big supermarche downstairs, with a huge array of champignons, meats, fish -- you name it.

DH was in (7th) heaven -- every day, after touring, we "toured" the super and he cooked amazing meals from fresh products, even though he had to do it one at a time with only one eye...

Next time (???) we'll carefully choose an apt with a big kitchen, also next to a big supermarche 😁

Sounds like a very interesting and fun experience.  🙂   We are used to small, after many years of living on and off for weeks, months of the year in the motor home.  You make it work.  😉 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Domino D said:

After 35 years of marriage, my wife has convinced me I have no opinion on things like this.

In my other job as a contractor I have learned one thing  "never offer advice to a client on paint colours"...it never ends well with one of the clients....no need for me to get involved in their argument.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

Sounds like a very interesting and fun experience.  🙂   We are used to small, after many years of living on and off for weeks, months of the year in the motor home.  You make it work.  😉 

I am always amazed that most european apartments/home have tiny fridges (like a hotel, cruise fridge or college dorm size).    I cannot imagine not having a "normal" size fridge like we do in america.    How do they stock their fridge during quarantine?  

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1