Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was able to speak flawless Yiddish when I was younger because my parents almost never spoke English at home when I was growing up.

They also taught me to read Yiddish books.

I’ve always used a lot of the “sch” words…schmutz, schlep, schmooze, schlemiel, schmear, and more that I use frequently. Then there is nosh and mensch and meshuggeneh. 
There’s a lot of Yiddish in our everyday language!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Flight out of Miami canceled. SW took off with are bags.  No SW flight until Monday..... They just announced they unloaded the bags.  Another thing I have two more days of meds.   This sinks. 

Oh no.

Hopefully you get your bags back and they put you up in a nice hotel.

I hope your meds last.

Graham.

19 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Oh no.

Hopefully you get your bags back and they put you up in a nice hotel.

I hope your meds last.

Graham.

+1

My wife just reminded me to be sure to pack extra days of meds.  I usually take at least an extra weeks worth. 

Edited by h20skibum
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Flight out of Miami canceled. SW took off with are bags.  No SW flight until Monday..... They just announced they unloaded the bags.  Another thing I have two more days of meds.   This sinks. 

That really does stink. I am so sorry. I take it you have good travel insurance?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

The world has changed a lot over the past few years.I try not to dwell on negativity.

Toby’s sister has been here the past few hours engaging in conversation with her and I have been upstairs posting on this wonderful thread which is more and more like a family every day.I wish that I was secure enough to post pictures on here.Perhaps one day.

Lenny, when you're comfortable enough, please post pictures.  It took me years before I felt comfy enough to post pictures.  Part of that comfort is knowing that this is a safer environment than most threads.  

46 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I’ve always used a lot of the “sch” words…schmutz, schlep, schmooze, schlemiel, schmear, and more that I use frequently. Then there is nosh and mensch and meshuggeneh. 

I love when Judge Judy comes out with a yiddish word.  "Don't give me a whole geshichtah (history/story).  One of my faves is the comment she made after looking at pictures of damage that renters made in an apt. "That's a lot of shmutz" haha

I grew up one block from the Williamsburg Bridge.  Since then,  this is the sign motorists see when leaving Brooklyn.

Oy_Vey_vc-593c925f3df78c537b86531c.jpg

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

42 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

You are right,jags fan. I use a lot of those words. 

I grew up in a culturally diverse neighborhood in Queens, a New York City borough. On our street there were people of German,Italian,Irish,Polish and British descent. Our neighbors were Christian, Jewish and Catholic. We all got along. Celebrated,sympathized and helped each other. It was a great place to grow up.

I know that I learned a lot of those Yiddish words from listening to our neighbors. Interesting for an Irish Catholic girl to speak those words! 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

SW used to be quite reliable. What ever their issue is lately they need to fix it. Let us know how things turn out for you.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

I’ve always used a lot of the “sch” words…... meshuggeneh. There’s a lot of Yiddish in our everyday language!

When I was little, we lived in a small rented house in Bucharest. I suppose that my parents had some disagreement with the landlady, because I heard them telling each other: "never mind, she's with one foot in the grave". So, one evening, I was ~4 and I remember this vividly, the landlady came to "visit".

And I look at her very curiously, and she noticed and asked: "what are you starring at, little girl", and I replied: "My parents said that you are with one foot in the grave, but you seem with both foots on the ground to me" [In my imagination, she was dangling one foot above a hole in the ground...].

My father changed colors, and, right that evening, it was decided to switch from Romanian to Yiddish, so that the "little girl" would not understand....

Of course, after a while, I began to understand it too....

BTW, when I learned Hebrew enough, I discovered that a lot of words in Yiddish originated from Hebrew, like "meshuga

43 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

Dani

Your grandson’s birthday party video caused me to smile. Belated good wishes to him!

So happy you smiled 🥰.

One of the reasons for this thread is to put a smile on faces, in spite of the Covid generated adversity.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

There are words of every language used in many different languages.Words have become universal.😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Flight out of Miami canceled. SW took off with our bags.  No SW flight until Monday..... They just announced they unloaded the bags.  Another thing I have two more days of meds.   This stinks. 

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

+1

My wife just reminded me to be sure to pack extra days of meds.  I usually take at least an extra weeks worth. 

+ 2   Where are the days when if one airline had to cancel a flight, mainly due to mechanical problems, immediately it was their duty to book you in the earliest flight possible, and then do the accounting with them. 

In other words, SW should deal with Delta, without even involving you. That's customer service.

One of the best things I've learned in CC is to take extra meds when traveling.... at least 2 weeks worth.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Lenny, when you're comfortable enough, please post pictures.  It took me years before I felt comfy enough to post pictures.  Part of that comfort is knowing that this is a safer environment than most threads.  

I love when Judge Judy comes out with a yiddish word.  "Don't give me a whole geshichtah (history/story).  One of my faves is the comment she made after looking at pictures of damage that renters made in an apt. "That's a lot of shmutz" haha

I grew up one block from the Williamsburg Bridge.  Since then,  this is the sign motorists see when leaving Brooklyn.

Oy_Vey_vc-593c925f3df78c537b86531c.jpg

That sign was designed by former Brooklyn Boro President Marty Markowitz a graduate of the same HS as me .

Hello from the Edge!

Parking to setting foot on the ship was super fast. Our check in time was 1 pm. We were there at 1.15. No lines for our checkin time. Small line of perhaps 8 people in the 1.30 to 2 pm slot. 

We love our cabin. It is longer, some 6 feet extra betweeb balcony and sofa. There are 2 lounge chairs , 2 chairs and one small coffee table on the balcony. It is a Sunset Veranda. What I am  verrrry slightly not thrilled about is that it is raindundant....not too useful in the rain. About 5 feet of covered area above  for shade. No complaints....I intend to use it to the fullest starting with waving out. 

I see the Odyssey parked at 18. The Celebrity Reflection and Constellation are across from us and there is a Princess ship. There was a HAL ship in the morning. I believe these ships are just doing their routine and do not have passengers, except for the Odyssey. Hope we do horn wars at sail away.

I have not inquired about how many are on board and all the stats yet. Wifi sucks.  Elevators were not packed like normal embarkation day. 

Will post when I am able to.  

Everyone have a great day and very soon we will all be giving thanks for all those prayers that WILL be answered for our CC family.

Sending hugs 💕

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MJSailors said:

I grew up in a culturally diverse neighborhood in Queens, a New York City borough. On our street there were people of German,Italian,Irish,Polish and British descent. Our neighbors were Christian, Jewish and Catholic. We all got along. Celebrated,sympathized and helped each other. It was a great place to grow up.

I know that I learned a lot of those Yiddish words from listening to our neighbors. Interesting for an Irish Catholic girl to speak those words! 
I grew up in an apartment building in Brooklyn .There were Polish Catholic ,Polish Jewish Italian and Irish people living in the building .If a Jewish kid went to synagogue his non Jewish friends would go with him and vice versa .

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Hello from the Edge!

Parking to setting foot on the ship was super fast. Our check in time was 1 pm. We were there at 1.15. No lines for our checkin time. Small line of perhaps 8 people in the 1.30 to 2 pm slot. 

We love our cabin. It is longer, some 6 feet extra betweeb balcony and sofa. There are 2 lounge chairs , 2 chairs and one small coffee table on the balcony. It is a Sunset Veranda. What I am  verrrry slightly not thrilled about is that it is raindundant....not too useful in the rain. About 5 feet of covered area above  for shade. No complaints....I intend to use it to the fullest starting with waving out. 

I see the Odyssey parked at 18. The Celebrity Reflection and Constellation are across from us and there is a Princess ship. There was a HAL ship in the morning. I believe these ships are just doing their routine and do not have passengers, except for the Odyssey. Hope we do horn wars at sail away.

I have not inquired about how many are on board and all the stats yet. Wifi sucks.  Elevators were not packed like normal embarkation day. 

Will post when I am able to.  

Everyone have a great day and very soon we will all be giving thanks for all those prayers that WILL be answered for our CC family.

Sending hugs 💕

Have a great week!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

Sending hugs 💕

Have a wonderful cruise, Arzeena!  I watched your Sail Away, as well as the Odyssey and the Constellation (we were supposed to sail out of Venice this month on the Constellation..oh, well).  I also watched the Independence sail out of Port Canaveral, as well as the Summit and the Symphony sail out of Miami.  I've never seen so many Sail Away(s) in one evening before;  and I loved every bit of it.  LOL.

I was wondering why there was still a Celebrity still in port, I didn't think about the ship just doing their routine without passengers.  So I guess that it was the Reflection....

ENJOY!!!!

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

When I was little, we lived in a small rented house in Bucharest. I suppose that my parents had some disagreement with the landlady, because I heard them telling each other: "never mind, she's with one foot in the grave". So, one evening, I was ~4 and I remember this vividly, the landlady came to "visit".

And I look at her very curiously, and she noticed and asked: "what are you starring at, little girl", and I replied: "My parents said that you are with one foot in the grave, but you seem with both foots on the ground to me" [In my imagination, she was dangling one foot above a hole in the ground...].

One of the reasons for this thread is to put a smile on faces, in spite of the Covid generated adversity.

Love it, Dani!!!  ❤️

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Wondering if it has something to do with having to reach overhead to paint.  Overhead things always bothers Bucky, who had shoulder surgery many years ago from a fall on the job.  

Hope it heals fast!    Good therapy...surf fishing...cute!  😉 

I'm sure its the overhead painting of ceiling and the constant up and down motion with painting walls.  When he initially had the break he was told he probably wouldnt have full range motion but after his pt and doing extra exercises at home he did have full range.  

Not sure that casting a surf rod was the best idea to give a break but he says its feeling better than this morning.   But that could be the long island iced teas he had at happy hour😂

• Like 4

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Our previous neighbor used to smoke Kingfish...and I would get lucky when he generously brought some over to us.  Yum!!  He was really good at it.  🙂 

Smoked kingfish sounds delicious.

We had a bunch of 1/2 price appetizers at happy hr so Eric only grilled up 3 of the fish tonight and our neighbor is going to cook the other 3 tomorrow for dinner tomorrow.    The ones we had tonight were delicious, so good catching your own fish and cooking up a couple hours later.

How is your trip?  I hope it stopped raining.  Do you or Bucky go fishing?

Edited by Sunshine3601

2 hours ago, MJSailors said:

I’m a German Catholic girl and learned those words from my German Catholic grandparents. They were Brooklynites from the time they arrived till they retired and moved farther out on Long Island. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I read this on review thread and really stinks.   Come up with any solution?

I wonder why sw had 860 flights cancelled.  

• Like 1