Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

5 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I am surprised no one here has mentioned this series

Our DS1 mentioned it to us, and since I'm a great fan of Harlan Coben, we sat down to watch.

I'll admit that after half an hour, I couldn't relate, may be since it was with English accents and filmed in England. Really, can't put a "finger" why, but we both gave up.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Greg. @Sea Dog I hope you don’t have too much pain before you are able to get your knee done.  My mother had hers done when she was in her 80’s, and did very well after.

So in addition to watching some entertaining football over the weekend and trying to keep up with snow removal, we binged a new Netflix series called Stay Close.   Based on the novel of the same name by Harlan Coben, it was developed as a British mystery mini-series.  I have read all of Coben’s books, and enjoy them. The series plot wasn’t spoiled for me, since it was about 9 years ago that I read this novel.

I am surprised no one here has mentioned this series, but then it was just released December 31, 2021.  It was filmed around Manchester and the NW coast in the UK.

If you enjoy a good mystery, with some twists and turns, give it a look.  It is only 8 episodes.

I saw the author being interviewed this week, he said the mini series has plot twists that were not in the book. I would love a series from is Myron Bolitar books.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, George C said:

I saw the author being interviewed this week, he said the mini series has plot twists that were not in the book. I would love a series from is Myron Bolitar books.

That would be a good series to develop one from, and those are the characters I think of when thinking of his books.  

It took until the 3rd or 4th episode to start pulling together all the subplots from the Stay Close series.   I just had to pay closer attention, because British English is different from my English, which is different from NY, or Mass, or Al, or …..(all those other dialects we speak here) 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, George C said:

I would love a series from is Myron Bolitar books.

1 minute ago, h20skibum said:

That would be a good series to develop one from, and those are the characters I think of when thinking of his books.  

Myron Bolitar + Win.... YES!!!       I'll watch it even if spoken in Swahili 😎

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Lenny -Thank you for the restaurant info.

While we have some very good restaurants on the East End, the dress code- if there is one- is very casual. At best, my DH will wear a long sleeve business shirt and dockers or dress slacks out to dinner here.

We are familiar with Nassau Co. as my DH grew up n Merrick and both sets of his grandparents had homes in Garden City. We have friends and relatives who live in various towns in Nassau ,and before Covid , we enjoyed getting together with them for lunch,dinner or barbecues.

Hoping we can resume seeing them sooner than later.

I will keep Orchid in mind to enjoy for a special get together.

Take care- MJ🙋🏻

• Like 2

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

Greg. @Sea Dog I hope you don’t have too much pain before you are able to get your knee done.  My mother had hers done when she was in her 80’s, and did very well after.

So in addition to watching some entertaining football over the weekend and trying to keep up with snow removal, we binged a new Netflix series called Stay Close.   Based on the novel of the same name by Harlan Coben, it was developed as a British mystery mini-series.  I have read all of Coben’s books, and enjoy them. The series plot wasn’t spoiled for me, since it was about 9 years ago that I read this novel.

I am surprised no one here has mentioned this series, but then it was just released December 31, 2021.  It was filmed around Manchester and the NW coast in the UK.

If you enjoy a good mystery, with some twists and turns, give it a look.  It is only 8 episodes.

I saw Stay Close .It was very good.The interesting thing about Coben is that his shows are in several languages.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

Lenny -Thank you for the restaurant info.

While we have some very good restaurants on the East End, the dress code- if there is one- is very casual. At best, my DH will wear a long sleeve business shirt and dockers or dress slacks out to dinner here.

We are familiar with Nassau Co. as my DH grew up n Merrick and both sets of his grandparents had homes in Garden City. We have friends and relatives who live in various towns in Nassau ,and before Covid , we enjoyed getting together with them for lunch,dinner or barbecues.

Hoping we can resume seeing them sooner than later.

I will keep Orchid in mind to enjoy for a special get together.

Take care- MJ🙋🏻

We know Merrick very well.Toby had a step-brother living there and we know many people currently living there.

A restaurant that we like where casual dress is the norm,even jeans is Baccaro’s in Massapequa.It is owned by two cousins.I know one of the cousins.They normally have live music on Saturday nights.

4 hours ago, jagsfan said:

We did the little boat from Gatun Lake to the  Pacific on a Princess shore ex. 
It was a fabulous way to see the locks up close, and the second half of the Canal. 
We sat on the top deck, very comfortable even through a rain shower, had a good lunch, and enjoyed watching the young French crew on a catamaran going through the locks with us. 
We always do a round trip FLL because Dick gets a say sometimes on where and how long we cruise. 
He picks when it’s Panama Canal, I pick the rest. 

Panama Canal Cruise is Awesome, nothing like it.  Going west to east and going through the very last lock and sitting on our Aft  of the ship. Looking at how the water level behind us was almost at high as the  top of our ship we were on it's a sight I will never forget.

Amazing wonder of the world!

Edit: No idea why this got posted again.? wth

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Reminds me of the movie Christmas Vacation. I can just picture J.C. pulling up in his R.V. and hooking up an extension cord to the house and a "hose" into the storm drain.

Quit dragging me into this….

I am waiting for Andrew to install the flowrider, he already has full RV hookups installed and waiting for me.  It is the FlowRider that he is sorely lacking.  Now that I have read he is cancelling his cruise, and I am going to encourage him that if he takes this financial windfall he can apply it to the price of the installation of the FlowRider, and get it ready.  I might take early retirement with the right enticement!  😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

7 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'm 6'0" and my knees are often pushed up against the seat in front of me in older theaters.  I can't imagine being squeezed in like a sardine for a few hours if I was taller.  Love the new reclining movie theater seats.  More importantly, they work well for Micheline.  Since she's on the shorter side, movie theater seats in pre-reclining days were often uncomfortable for her if her feet dangled too much.  We're much more likely to go see a movie in a theater now.  Having a bar there and using the Run Pee app also helps. 😉

I’m sure sure the Run Pee app doesn’t stop the movie, so what does it do?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

I might be wrong, and having a senior moment, but I thought you were planning to park your RV in Rory's driveway....😎

That is a very workable plan for the wintertime.  Since, John is denying me access to his driveway and limoncello.  They neither one have been nearly as accommodating as Andrew.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

31 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Panama Canal Cruise is Awesome, nothing like it.  Going west to east and going through the very last lock and sitting on our Aft  of the ship. Looking at how the water level behind us was almost at high as the  top of our ship we were on it's a sight I will never forget.

Amazing wonder of the world!

Edit: No idea why this got posted again.? wth

We did a cruise to Panama Canal 12 years ago on HAL.It is my second favorite cruise.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I assume you mean Crazy Lobster.  We were just there for nachos, sandwiches, beer and cokes.  Still stay away from things with ice in Mexico. 

F6CDEEC2-D33A-45AD-A657-81EC7A37DC8F.thumb.jpeg.6c5342dcda59f357f0dc0cbfe7f7a3d6.jpeg

it was reasonably priced and the food was good. 

1EC831E2-06A6-4775-8DC2-34E5C8E3D2BE.thumb.jpeg.ded1d6b021cb60427223e32efe286b69.jpeg

What I didn’t like was someone was stopping by your table about every 3 minutes, to try and sell you some trinkets. 

In Kenya we had to roll the windows up every time we stopped because an arm would come in right past your nose with beads hanging from it. An arm or two for every window. 
I understand why we are solicited, but it gets old fast. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Quit dragging me into this….

I am waiting for Andrew to install the flowrider, he already has full RV hookups installed and waiting for me.  It is the FlowRider that he is sorely lacking.  Now that I have read he is cancelling his cruise, and I am going to encourage him that if he takes this financial windfall he can apply it to the price of the installation of the FlowRider, and get it ready.  I might take early retirement with the right enticement!  😂

I think you should both  buy one together and surf yourself crazy.  How are you both on real waves in the ocean?

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, George C said:

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Myron Bolitar + Win.... YES!!!       I'll watch it even if spoken in Swahili 😎

I've also read all of Coben's books, the last one "Win" disappointed me.

57 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Coconut only belongs on a Mounds Bar and Ranger Cookies 🙂

And in a Miami Vice adult beverage.

• Like 4

@h20skibum thanks for sharing the Panama Canal photos.  Would love to do that cruise one day. 
@Sea Dog sorry you are struggling with knee pain. Hope you don’t have too long to wait til your surgery and hope your gorgeous puppies master toilet training soonish.

@A&L_Onti feel your frustration.  It’s good that this thread gives you a place to vent and people who understand fully your frustration.

Loving all the cruise photos & so pleased those on board are enjoying their cruises.

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 5

Day 1 of isolation.  Sun is out

DS is watching Schitts Creek and doing a NYC puzzle.

DD - is confined to her room and  her friends are delivering food/gifts to our front door.

ME - Enjoying watching Kate Winslet in Mare of Easttown.  Reading a crime novel set in steamy Darwin in 1963.

Max’s face is what my DH thinks of Covid & being in isolation…..

A517D0E1-213C-4F32-84EF-F2C47A596DD6.jpeg

• Like 11

I've spent the last few days researching and planning for some of the missing pieces of our Alaska/Hawaii cruise this fall.  This is our first big trip in retirement (with most other plans having been cancelled) and we want to do it right.  Fingers (and toes) crossed that it still goes as planned. 

I'm interested in the thoughts of those of you who have been to the places that we are going.  Do you like the choices that we've made?  Do you have any alternate suggestions?  And before anyone says it, yes...I've been all over the port boards for info there as well.  There is a nice variety of people here who've been there/done that for a lot of places when it comes to cruising, and if Dani doesn't mind me using this thread, I'd love to hear your thoughts.  If this thread is still alive when we travel, I'll pay it back by posting pictures.

The main itinerary is as follows:

• Fly to Seattle on Sept 16. Spend 2.5 days in Seattle
  • 7 nights on Quantum departing Sept 19 from Seattle, return Sept 25 to Seattle
  • Fly Seattle to Vancouver on Sept 25.  Spend 3.5 days in Vancouver
  • 9 nights on Ovation departing Sept 30 from Vancouver, arrive Oct 9 in Honolulu
  • Fly to Kauai on Oct 9.  5 days in Kauai.
  • Fly home on Oct 14.

For Seattle, we're booked in the Mayflower Park Hotel.  Downtown and walkable to Pike Place Market (currently planning a walking food tour of Pike Place Market) and several restaurants.  Right on the monorail to Seattle Center for the Space Needle and Chihuly Garden and Glass.  

The Alaska cruise stops at:

• Icy Strait Point - Probably will do the Ziprider
  • Skagway - Probably the White Pass and Yukon Railway
  • Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier
  • Juneau - Helicopter Glacier tour.  Many choices...still need to pick one.
  • Victoria - ???

For Vancouver, we're booked in the Pan Pacific Hotel.  Decided to spend a little extra and be right on the harbour/right at the cruise port.  Currently planning a walking food tour of Gastown, several hours (maybe a whole day?) in Stanley Park (may rent bikes), and Capilano Suspension Bridge Park and/or Grouse Mountain.  If time, may also spend a few hours (including dinner?) on Granville Island.

The TP cruise to Hawaii stops at:

• Seattle - Will do something that we missed when there pre-cruise...Aquarium?  Museum of Flight?
  • Lahaina for 2 days - Not sure yet what we will do.  We've been to Maui 3 times and have done all of the highlights, including Haleakula sunrise (brrr), Road to Hana, Old Lahaina Luau (3 times), helicopter tour (twice), Molokini snorkel.  We might do the OL Luau again as we do like it a lot, or may try a different one.

For Kauai, we're booked in the Grand Hyatt and will have a rental car.  Planning on a day on the north coast (Princeville Botanical Gardens, Kilauea Lighthouse (if timing works for a tour), a few beaches.  Planning on a day driving along the Waimea Canyon to the Kalalau Lookout.  Planning on a Napali Coast Sunset boat tour.  May visit the Smith's Family Garden Luau and drive to a few waterfalls.  Will leave some time for pool and beach but we can do that most of the year and would rather spend limited time elsewhere.  We decided not to spend any time in Honolulu/Oahu.  Been there 3 times and have done all of the highlights there.  We decided to go straight to Kauai since we've never been there.

Because we will be gone for a month and will need clothes for potential cold/wet weather (layers) and warm/sunny weather, we need to figure out clothing/packing logistics.  We'll probably take advantage of laundry perks on the ships.

Everything is flexible right now (including hotels), so if anyone has any other ideas of places to stay/things to do, I am all ears.  We are somewhat adventurous and don't mind a little activity (e.g. short hikes), but are getting too old for anything overly strenuous or adrenaline inducing.  Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.  Thanks.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

We love coconut shrimp. It's so good, but I don’t think I haven’t met a coconut I didn't like.

@aussielozzie18 That is a beautiful flower.

I remember as a teenager loving to smell suntan lotions…my favorites smell like coconuts. 
When I was a kid, it was Tartan, which had a very distinctive fragrance…I always thought of tea!

I honestly don’t know what sunscreen smells like!

Edited by jagsfan
  • Like 1