Jump to content
  • Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)


Recommended Posts

Just paid our November cruise in full, had spent almost 2 hours trying to get a celebrity rep that I could understand, apparently they have gotten rid of there customer service in USA , finally got a woman in Jamaica that wasn’t bad . Can’t wait to sail new Beyond. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We made a successful transfer of the grandsons to their other grandparents yesterday, then we all had a nice lunch at their club and a golf cart tour around their neighborhood.  
@bobmaclibertytheir house is within the Omni complex, overlooking marshland.  
We have an open invitation to go back sometime and stay a couple of days with them.  We’ll definitely take them up on it and consider ourselves fortunate that we “in-laws” get along so well. 
Andy & I have been enjoying the blissfully quiet drive home.  We should get in around 9 tonight, depending on traffic in NYC/CT.  Time for me to catch up on all I’ve missed here over the last few days.  

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I am heartbroken. Please no sympathy for me. I do this post only as a tribute to my longtime close friend and coworker for over 38 years. NFL Hall of Fame Quarterback and sports broadcaster legend Len Dawson. Len passed away last night he was 87 years old.

 

1216799655_724643-KMBC-LenDawson-.thumb.jpg.8252fc3f94ec2509a346cbcbe4ab9edf.jpg

 

 

194389334_GregandLen.thumb.jpg.f299e51aacced00e6147606d933b7311.jpg

 

I first met Len Dawson as a child. I was maybe 6 or 7 years old getting a haircut at an upscale barber shop in Kansas City that my father had brought me to. As I was getting my haircut two chairs down from me a man got finished with his haircut and got out of the chair and put on a full length mink coat. He walked by me and stopped and smiled at me. He said, “how are you doing sport?” Having no idea who he was I just said ‘fine.” After he left my barber asked me, “do you know who that was?” I said “no” to which he replied “that was the great quarterback of the Kansas City Chiefs Len Dawson.” I thought wow that was pretty cool. He stopped and took the time to say hi to me.

 

Now fast forward.

 

1134788961_1980sPhotog.thumb.jpg.b367893b2c92027bdb52abaea8aeb75a.jpg

 

1396900160_Len-CrumleySpringTrainingFt.Meyers.jpg.454b708728a48c9dce5627ed6cc48b11.jpg

 

I have had the pleasure and honor of working with Len for over 38 years with 12 of those years as a sports video journalist covering the chiefs. Because Len was the color commentator for the Chiefs radio network and we had the Chiefs Coaches Show I traveled with Len on every road game on the team plane. I traveled with Len to every city in the US and spent time with him in Berlin and Tokyo for NFL abroad games.

 

612801631_LenDawson.jpeg.2636687ad9a349993eaa86b11bbedd54.jpeg

 

Most professional athletes have giant egos but not Len. Everywhere we went people would want to come up and meet him and get an autograph. He was always accommodating and very courteous.

 

len-dawson-cig-super-bowl-01192014.jpeg.863cef3d74be020a4b3534c779f922f4.jpeg

 

He talked to everyone young and old. But it was especially the young kids that he engaged with. Remember my first experience as young kid? I can’t even tell you the number of autographs he gave unconditionally over the years.

 

IMG_3043.jpeg.929d42b6424c4ee98001f868fa796bfd.jpeg

 

He taught me many things. How to be humble. How to sometimes be quiet and just listen. How to be the utmost professional. He also taught me about fine food dining as we got to eat in the finest restaurants around the world. He even taught me how appreciate fine wine and cognac.

 

 

They don’t make professional athletes like him anymore. He defines class, honesty, humbleness and dignity and he did it on the field as well as off. A true gentleman that treat everyone with kindness and respect.

 

1960780175_WithLenandtheSportsGang.jpeg.a84c4d7ed00b3b8c45511e44b37667f3.jpeg

 

I’m proud and honored to have worked along side him for so many years. He was more than a coworker he was my dear friend. He once told me that if I ever need something to call him. Len was that kind of a friend.

 

299849287_10106081236480517_6718629328092968752_n.thumb.jpeg.fe4b383120b234b9dde9e8007186f400.jpeg

 

So many stories, so many memories. He is one of a kind a true Kansas City hero and treasure.

 

299786608_450872213751403_8356778627801483345_n.thumb.jpeg.3e37ccba86388918dbf6d0026d3f88f5.jpeg

 

How terribly heartbreaking to lose such a dear friend.  You both were lucky to have such a wonderful friendship for so many years.  RIP Len Dawson.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

We made a successful transfer of the grandsons to their other grandparents yesterday, then we all had a nice lunch at their club and a golf cart tour around their neighborhood.  
@bobmaclibertytheir house is within the Omni complex, overlooking marshland.  
We have an open invitation to go back sometime and stay a couple of days with them.  We’ll definitely take them up on it and consider ourselves fortunate that we “in-laws” get along so well. 
Andy & I have been enjoying the blissfully quiet drive home.  We should get in around 9 tonight, depending on traffic in NYC/CT.  Time for me to catch up on all I’ve missed here over the last few days.  

 

Sounds like they're members of the same club to which we belong...The Amelia Island Club.  Lunch at the Ocean Club House overlooking the beach is great.   I had lunch there yesterday around 1:30...we might have been there at the same time.  I'd love to know their names, in case I know them, but probably not a good idea to share that here without their permission.  It's also a large club and many members don't know each other.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, George C said:

Just paid our November cruise in full, had spent almost 2 hours trying to get a celebrity rep that I could understand, apparently they have gotten rid of there customer service in USA , finally got a woman in Jamaica that wasn’t bad . Can’t wait to sail new Beyond. 

Where are you cruising George?

We were looking at the Beyond for next year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Debbie, when are you testing?  We are going in the morning.  Kids are beyond excited.  The little one can’t wait to meet my cruise friend😳

Ahh, that's precious🥰     We are going to do emed tests when I get home from work tomorrow night.     Hope we are all good to go!!!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Where are you cruising George?

We were looking at the Beyond for next year.

This will be our 4th cruise since last year that went to St Thomas and St Maarten, got a corner aft sky suite, always love the view from aft cabins , and love retreat area.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

 

I had lunch there yesterday around 1:30...we might have been there at the same time.  I'd love to know their names, in case I know them, but probably not a good idea to share that here without their permission.  It's also a large club and many members don't know each other.

Too funny, we may have unknowingly crossed paths yesterday Bob!  We got there a little before 2:30 and sat upstairs with this beautiful view.  It would be even funnier if you know them but I agree about sharing their names.  If you ever meet a couple in their late 60’s, early 70’s who split their time between Amelia and the suburbs of Philly, and have a RI connection you may be on to something, lol. 79F04B9B-890C-4122-92A9-DA566E1A1FCD.thumb.jpeg.2a2a46c329456e9e08a202b0569d5c91.jpeg
 

@dani negreanu I hope you’re having a wonderful vacation with your family.  
 

@Sea Dog so sorry about the loss of your friend.  That was truly a beautiful tribute you wrote.  Cherish all those great memories of him.  

Edited by Momof3gurlz
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I am heartbroken. Please no sympathy for me. I do this post only as a tribute to my longtime close friend and coworker for over 38 years. NFL Hall of Fame Quarterback and sports broadcaster legend Len Dawson. Len passed away last night he was 87 years old.

 

1216799655_724643-KMBC-LenDawson-.thumb.jpg.8252fc3f94ec2509a346cbcbe4ab9edf.jpg

 

 

194389334_GregandLen.thumb.jpg.f299e51aacced00e6147606d933b7311.jpg

 

I first met Len Dawson as a child. I was maybe 6 or 7 years old getting a haircut at an upscale barber shop in Kansas City that my father had brought me to. As I was getting my haircut two chairs down from me a man got finished with his haircut and got out of the chair and put on a full length mink coat. He walked by me and stopped and smiled at me. He said, “how are you doing sport?” Having no idea who he was I just said ‘fine.” After he left my barber asked me, “do you know who that was?” I said “no” to which he replied “that was the great quarterback of the Kansas City Chiefs Len Dawson.” I thought wow that was pretty cool. He stopped and took the time to say hi to me.

 

Now fast forward.

 

1134788961_1980sPhotog.thumb.jpg.b367893b2c92027bdb52abaea8aeb75a.jpg

 

1396900160_Len-CrumleySpringTrainingFt.Meyers.jpg.454b708728a48c9dce5627ed6cc48b11.jpg

 

I have had the pleasure and honor of working with Len for over 38 years with 12 of those years as a sports video journalist covering the chiefs. Because Len was the color commentator for the Chiefs radio network and we had the Chiefs Coaches Show I traveled with Len on every road game on the team plane. I traveled with Len to every city in the US and spent time with him in Berlin and Tokyo for NFL abroad games.

 

612801631_LenDawson.jpeg.2636687ad9a349993eaa86b11bbedd54.jpeg

 

Most professional athletes have giant egos but not Len. Everywhere we went people would want to come up and meet him and get an autograph. He was always accommodating and very courteous.

 

len-dawson-cig-super-bowl-01192014.jpeg.863cef3d74be020a4b3534c779f922f4.jpeg

 

He talked to everyone young and old. But it was especially the young kids that he engaged with. Remember my first experience as young kid? I can’t even tell you the number of autographs he gave unconditionally over the years.

 

IMG_3043.jpeg.929d42b6424c4ee98001f868fa796bfd.jpeg

 

He taught me many things. How to be humble. How to sometimes be quiet and just listen. How to be the utmost professional. He also taught me about fine food dining as we got to eat in the finest restaurants around the world. He even taught me how appreciate fine wine and cognac.

 

 

They don’t make professional athletes like him anymore. He defines class, honesty, humbleness and dignity and he did it on the field as well as off. A true gentleman that treat everyone with kindness and respect.

 

1960780175_WithLenandtheSportsGang.jpeg.a84c4d7ed00b3b8c45511e44b37667f3.jpeg

 

I’m proud and honored to have worked along side him for so many years. He was more than a coworker he was my dear friend. He once told me that if I ever need something to call him. Len was that kind of a friend.

 

299849287_10106081236480517_6718629328092968752_n.thumb.jpeg.fe4b383120b234b9dde9e8007186f400.jpeg

 

So many stories, so many memories. He is one of a kind a true Kansas City hero and treasure.

 

299786608_450872213751403_8356778627801483345_n.thumb.jpeg.3e37ccba86388918dbf6d0026d3f88f5.jpeg

 

Wow!  I was reading this post at the same time hearing this on the news.   So very sorry for your loss.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Debbie, when are you testing?  We are going in the morning.  Kids are beyond excited.  The little one can’t wait to meet my cruise friend😳

We will have to figure out where and when to meet up.   Maybe the carousel or the sun deck in front of the solarium?   Maybe full first day at sea?  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

 

We are 4 weeks after you.  Same ship, same changed itinerary.  I'd love to see some pictures to get me (even more) excited if you have the time to post.

I'd Be happy too.  I'm currently on my laptop, so it will be later when I'm on my phone.  If a group called The Las Vegas Tenors is performing, I highly recommend them.  They were so good during the 8:00 show, I went back for the 10:00.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We will have to figure out where and when to meet up.   Maybe the carousel or the sun deck in front of the solarium?   Maybe full first day at sea?  

So exciting for all of you to meet up.  I can't wait to read all about it!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We will have to figure out where and when to meet up.   Maybe the carousel or the sun deck in front of the solarium?   Maybe full first day at sea?  

First full day at sea sounds good.  The carousel might be good after breakfast?? We can gather the troops and meet up.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, taznremmy said:

I'd Be happy too.  I'm currently on my laptop, so it will be later when I'm on my phone.  If a group called The Las Vegas Tenors is performing, I highly recommend them.  They were so good during the 8:00 show, I went back for the 10:00.

We have seen them a few times on Anthem.  They were really entertaining!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

First full day at sea sounds good.  The carousel might be good after breakfast?? We can gather the troops and meet up.

Sounds like a plan🥰   will you have internet onboard?  We can figure out time on Sunday or Monday morning thru this thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of the 6 of us that got covid on Oasis I am currently the only one still testing positive. I was also the last one to test positive last Wednesday. It may be a while before any of us wants to cruise again tho.  We are scheduled for a b2b on Disney in January hopefully we can get another booster before then. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dbancroft said:

Of the 6 of us that got covid on Oasis I am currently the only one still testing positive. I was also the last one to test positive last Wednesday. It may be a while before any of us wants to cruise again tho.  We are scheduled for a b2b on Disney in January hopefully we can get another booster before then. 

Sorry to hear you are still testing positive.    Do you still feel ill?   

Eric got his booster in last couple of weeks.  I plan on waiting until new and improved booster is available in October (or whenever actually arrives).   Hopefully we are all protected for our Oasis sailing this Sunday.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you to everyone who took time to comment of the loss of my dear friend and coworker Len Dawson. I just got through watching the hour long special my team at KMBC-TV put together for him. Many of pieces were pieces that I edited a couple of years ago when Lenny retired from KMBC-TV. I said to my boss at the time, we need to save these because some day Len will pass and we will need them for a tribute. I dreaded the day I would see those pieces again but now I'm glad I saw them. To remind me and to those that watched what a great man he was.

 

IMG_8467.thumb.jpeg.f91e434e48f1f09fd59c597337be2fca.jpeg

 

One of the things Len taught me was about fine dining and good french cognac. I was blessed to eat in many 5 star restaurants all over the US with him. He bought me my first glass of Cognac and taught me that it's to be slightly warmed by the cupping of your hand under the glass and gently sipped. We had many glasses over the years and laughed and told many stories. Thank you for the memories and the imprint that you left on my soul.

 

Cheers, Leonard Ray Dawson.

  • Like 24
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...