Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Our summer of fun continued yesterday, but it was such a full day I didn’t get a chance to check in here.  We spent the day at Kennywood Amusement park in Pittsburgh. 

84F562C5-E91B-4D19-ADA8-71D65F31FD05.thumb.jpeg.db02dbf37b9e27f5d8a4c2b8859454da.jpeg

Kennywood was originally built in the late 1800’s. 

We decided to eat an early lunch, after we got inside the park.  I thought this might be a good place. 

BF74EE89-D8C0-4ADA-8D3D-87720306D907.thumb.jpeg.8aa933535e8eb70f458b6bec926ab1a3.jpeg

The Johnny Rockets is in what use to be the original carousel building.  I can say that if the food at JR’s on the ship was anything like what they called food here, it would have been replaced long ago. 

They have a nice Thomas the Train theme kiddie land for the younger kids, and we did a few of the rides there. 

4FF11621-2750-45AC-A8CD-437DE68E2758.thumb.jpeg.6b151477c502de03396515773e2045f5.jpeg

Thomas will take you around the park 

A568EAC5-D6B2-43C3-9DAE-1FF6DE5672E1.thumb.jpeg.3f410bf85d207171f714a92408990e8e.jpeg

They have a little ride that lets them use a fire hose to put out fires too

A2FC16BD-EE1B-4A0A-8B1E-18D75D05A1D6.thumb.jpeg.ac3b7a2394f5fab1ac001cd338d534c8.jpeg

But what about bigger rides?   To be continued. 

• Like 11

9 hours ago, Coralc said:

We had everything booked for December on Vision out of FLL and Rhapsody out of Tampa in February. Just deposits thankfully. But both are cancelled. I am sad too. August is not starting off great. :classic_sad:

8 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

You got that right. Hopefully this recent surge will settle down. I have everything in place for a fly/drive trip in October, but as things are now thinking I may yet wind up canceling everything (AGAIN!...this is all getting old, ya know?)  

😢 👎

Getting more than old -- Metushelah like 😧

• Like 4

Grandson was glad he was not tall enough to ride the Steel Curtain which he thought was too scary. This is what it says about this ride. 

During the two-minute adrenaline rush, riders speed through 4,000 feet of track at 76 miles per hour while navigating 9 inversions – including the world’s tallest at 197 feet above the ground! 

The Steel Curtain sets three new records: a Pennsylvania state record (tallest roller coaster), a North American record (most inversions), and a world record (tallest inversion).

51221BE4-5299-41EA-8D41-15D134E8B352.thumb.jpeg.ad94133ddeac12584a8ac4d57db6705e.jpeg

We did all ride the Jack Rabbit Roller coaster.  It is an old wooden coaster that was built in 1920. 

93B8B711-B050-40E0-80CD-C9E68467FAB1.thumb.jpeg.19d36cf95826b6798fc1ef914e492c52.jpeg

We did the Old Mill water ride which is said to be the oldest dark water ride in the world. 

42E46884-05F2-4C97-821A-9432F81D8592.thumb.jpeg.e0284c42ab3de39e89fca43b14015bb1.jpeg

What didn’t make a lot of sense was that you were in a boat, limited to your family, but you had to wear a mask since the ride went inside. 

B4C42FB7-E16A-4A37-A67E-FB3B88332190.thumb.jpeg.cefc4d9811da57a6d88b35ca1d279e8d.jpeg

And one final few pictures, before everyone gets bored. 

We did the “Pittsburgh Plunge” a couple times. 

4A21DEB9-BE65-4242-A31D-D0A7D4766BDA.thumb.jpeg.cc64421767007e1982e3fb98081ad654.jpeg

We had already ridden it once in the very back seat, and this was the look on grandson’s face when we got placed in the very front seat. 😂😂

617E3CA9-298A-4390-8FC0-C431671EB285.thumb.jpeg.19225e7026a977e47703eaf0a905c58f.jpeg

The ride takes you up. 

3E0A656B-DA25-4EC3-9335-6E3FD5C32331.thumb.jpeg.658c486f78eebd8c45b9fe9bc6441660.jpeg

And then down.   

I can report that you get much wetter in the front seat.  

All in all, another great day with many more rides under our belt. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Am I reading this correctly.... RCI cancelled the cruise the day after final payment was due? If so I can't tell you what a sour taste that just gave me toward RCI.

Yes and no.  This is a very odd situation.  The harmony TA appeared on the list of cancellations yet it still remains active and available to book.  That explains why I did not get a cancellation notice for my clients on that sailing.

If it is indeed cancelled it was the day after final was due.  At least clients do have the refund option and with how quick most have been posting lately it may even hit the same credit card cycle

17 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

What is up with this website. Twice I quoted someone, typed my response, then hit the submit reply button only to have what I typed disappear. Grrrrr. And I'm still have browser freeze up issues.... Grrrrrr again.

That was happening to me on my phone yesterday, laptop was fine

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If it is indeed cancelled it was the day after final was due.  At least clients do have the refund option and with how quick most have been posting lately it may even hit the same credit card cycle

That depends on how quickly RCI actually processes the refunds.

I haven’t posted much lately, been busy doing summer stuff.  I’ve tried to follow along but then have also been frustrated by all the CC technical issues.  
@h20skibum Happy Belated Anniversary

@BonTexasNY safe travels to NJ and I hope you have a great time with those grandkids & the rest of your family.  
@dani negreanu loved the picture of you in front of Cheers and the picture taking story.

@Sea Dog glad to hear your retirement cruise is a go. You’re going to love being retired, we sure do - well, we’d be enjoying it more if there wasn’t a pandemic LOL. 
@A&L_Ont ahhh the crazy years of running from one sporting/school event to another.  I miss it - but then again, I don’t.  
I hope this posts. Gonna be mad if I typed all this for nothing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Am I reading this correctly.... RCI cancelled the cruise the day after final payment was due? If so I can't tell you what a sour taste that just gave me toward RCI.

Yes, cancelling 1 day after final payment is not right but I will say It was good to see them release their plans for various ships up thru april/may 2022.

The only thing that stinks with their new L&S offer is it has to be the same ship.   

Guess they caught onto all the people that were doing L&S from empress to oasis class ships at amazing prices.  If those even sailed, I dont know.

So far our booked cruises made the cut.  Will see what September brings for our next booking on Oasis.

• Like 1

Looks like posting from my phone is working.  
So we made the tough choice to skip tonight’s Billy Joel concert at Fenway Park.  Even though it’s obviously outdoors, there’s no chance of any distancing & no masking.  Right now, we’re being a bit more cautious than we were even a couple of weeks ago.  Not so much for us as we and all our adult family members are vaxxed, but more for the grandkids so we don’t spread anything to them.  We have oldest DD & her family coming up from PA on the 13th, a family cookout here on the 15th with DH’s family from Albany (who if you remember were all sick recently but ended up testing negative).  Then our two oldest grandson’s (10 & 8) are staying with us for a week to 10 days.  
Lots of time with the littles coming up, so we’ll just play it safe.  

Edited by Momof3gurlz
Spelling
  • Like 9

33 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

That depends on how quickly RCI actually processes the refunds.

I have read so many horror stories of refunds in the last 16 or 17 months, but happy to say I got refunds for all our cruises in 2 to 3 weeks at most.  My only issue was some problems may 202 with issuance of 2 fccs.

58 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

What is up with this website. Twice I quoted someone, typed my response, then hit the submit reply button only to have what I typed disappear. Grrrrr. And I'm still have browser freeze up issues.... Grrrrrr again.

That is what happened this morning when one post did not show up.  I am glad my phone saved everything so I didn’t have to do it over. 

Not sure what the rocket ship discussion was, because those things were not on my phone.  I see some new comment bubbles beside post counts now though, when I open on my iPad. 

On 7/9/2021 at 3:55 PM, derorim said:

Now I want a cosmo 🍹

On 7/9/2021 at 4:01 PM, DaniDanielle said:

We will drink them on the Oasis!!!!!

Marietta

Sadly, Marietta, we learned last week that Andy needs rotator cuff surgery.  He decided to schedule as soon as possible so we can go on the Odyssey in February, so he's having the surgery later this month.  We waited a bit before cancelling the September Oasis, in case Royal canceled it.  When they announced restart dates yesterday we canceled it ourselves.  I was so looking forward to being on the Oasis again and toasting with our cosmos!  Drink one for me, and enjoy your return to cruising!

- Joy

10 hours ago, Coralc said:

We had everything booked for December on Vision out of FLL and Rhapsody out of Tampa in February. Just deposits thankfully. But both are cancelled. I am sad too. August is not starting off great. :classic_sad:

I am so sorry to hear this. It has to be so frustrating. I have to believe that just about everything in the next 4 months will be in flux. After that in spring of 2022 I expect full schedules. Hang in there my friend.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

@Sea Dog glad to hear your retirement cruise is a go. You’re going to love being retired, we sure do - well, we’d be enjoying it more if there wasn’t a pandemic LOL. 

Thank you so much. Yes two years in the making. I'm really excited and ready. Being able to celebrate by being on the ocean will really be the icing on the cake.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

That is what happened this morning when one post did not show up.  I am glad my phone saved everything so I didn’t have to do it over. 

Not sure what the rocket ship discussion was, because those things were not on my phone.  I see some new comment bubbles beside post counts now though, when I open on my iPad. 

CC made several changes to the area by your name/image/post count in the course of about an hour.  If you weren't live during that time, you missed them.  They ended with the comment bubble next to the post count that you see, although no idea what this is for.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Lots of time with the littles coming up, so we’ll just play it safe.  

Playing it safe is always good. As far as Billy goes, I think he will be doing concerts for a long time. he's not slowing down so there will plenty of times to see him again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

Our summer of fun continued yesterday, but it was such a full day I didn’t get a chance to check in here.  We spent the day at Kennywood Amusement park in Pittsburgh. 

I am continuing to love your summer of fun.  I've never been to Kennywood but I've seen it mentioned in several "best of" types of lists for parks.  If I remember correctly, it's often mentioned as one of the best family amusement parks.  Looks like a fun day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Seem to get a quick signal this time of the morning here, until the weather changes.  

Just a quick stop by to say hello to my friends here.  🙂  

Will be sooooo ready to have actual WIFI and good cell service in just over 2 weeks!  

Stay safe everyone.  

Hi Pat and Bucky. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Playing it safe is always good. As far as Billy goes, I think he will be doing concerts for a long time. he's not slowing down so there will plenty of times to see him again.

Billy Joel concerts are great , nobody knows how long he will continue but I hope you are right. I stopped going to huge concerts a few years ago, unless I can suite seats.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I am continuing to love your summer of fun.  I've never been to Kennywood but I've seen it mentioned in several "best of" types of lists for parks.  If I remember correctly, it's often mentioned as one of the best family amusement parks.  Looks like a fun day.

Kennywood is a nice family park, but they must have to police it after dark.  The park has metal detectors and obvious security. 

That said, it was a fun day.  We got a reduced rate as seniors, and I think we were the only seniors riding the rides.  I guess when you still feel like a kid, you get to act like one. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, George C said:

I stopped going to huge concerts a few years ago, unless I can suite seats.

I agree George. Also with my hearing loss over the years I have to wear hearing protection because the sound is so loud. I went to a concert several years ago with hearing protection and it was still so loud it was uncomfortable. Love Billy even though I have lost some respect of him over his treatment of his longtime drummer Liberty and other side musicians.

• Like 1