When will the next shutdown extension be announced?

otbc

10 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Since I had booked it initially on launch I can tell you exactly, the new price is £168pp higher, but the OBC is £170pp more. 

Sorry for the delay in replying. Thanks for the reply - obviously I was wrong with regard to this particular cruise. 

As I have no intention of ever going on Brittania,  my research was limted to adult only ships. 

Personally,  I have now come to the conclusion that cruising for the next 18 months is  probably not going to happen, so comparing prices is pretty futile.

35 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Sorry for the delay in replying. Thanks for the reply - obviously I was wrong with regard to this particular cruise. 

As I have no intention of ever going on Brittania,  my research was limted to adult only ships. 

Personally,  I have now come to the conclusion that cruising for the next 18 months is  probably not going to happen, so comparing prices is pretty futile.

I would hazard a guess that all the comments about higher prices are from Aurora and Arcadia cruises, they have a large number of loyal repeat cruisers, and their prices always show the largest increase from the launch offers.

We feel fortunate that for wheelchair passengers neither ship has the best facilities, so we are more than happy to sail on one of the soon to be 4 big girls,  as well as being far superior for wheelchair passengers, they have far more to offer as regards dining, entertainment, and drinking venues, and the lowest prices as well.

20 hours ago, wowzz said:

I find it strange that on other social media forums, people are saying they will rebook their cancelled cruise to one in October this year.

What alternative planet are these people living on? Do they not read the papers, watch the news etc? When the government are saying  that pubs and restaurants will be amongst the last to open, and only with restrictions, why on earth do they think cruises will go ahead in October?

I completely agree, and with typical cruise destinations such as France, Spain and Italy having their ports closed where do these hopefuls think that they will sail to?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I would hazard a guess that all the comments about higher prices are from Aurora and Arcadia cruises, they have a large number of loyal repeat cruisers, and their prices always show the largest increase from the launch offers.

We feel fortunate that for wheelchair passengers neither ship has the best facilities, so we are more than happy to sail on one of the soon to be 4 big girls,  as well as being far superior for wheelchair passengers, they have far more to offer as regards dining, entertainment, and drinking venues, and the lowest prices as well.

Our best cruises have been on the smaller ships, due to the better itineraries (Discovery cruises etc) and a passenger profile that we prefer, but I quite agree with your comments about wheelchair facilities. Britannia is far better equipped for wheelchair users and whenever we are on Aurora we always miss the Epicurean and Limelight Lounge. We were very much looking forward to trying Iona, as were our daughters who, unlike us, prefer the passenger profile on the larger ships, but this is going to have to wait for 18 months or so as we won’t take the risk of setting foot on any cruise ship until we are vaccinated against Covid-19. 

10 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I can understand why you prefer the bigger ships, given your need for wheelchair access.

It's all down to personal choice, as always,  but we prefer the smaller ships such as Arcadia. Having said that, we are booked on Ventura in January,  but we won't be going on that,  and will look to transfer our deposit to an Arcadia cruuse Thomas oate a date as possible. 

Edited by wowzz

we’ve kept our eyes on the price of our next cruise sept21 in Ventura, it seems to be up about 15% at the moment compared to launch date.

I was looking at some other prices on arcadia and aurora, the cost of longer cruises seems to be up by a much larger percentage.

as to when lockdown will next be extended, my thoughts is that I’ll think they’ll extend it by another three weeks just before the may bank holiday which is on the 9th this year.

1 minute ago, amfc_lenny said:

we’ve kept our eyes on the price of our next cruise sept21 in Ventura, it seems to be up about 15% at the moment compared to launch date.

I was looking at some other prices on arcadia and aurora, the cost of longer cruises seems to be up by a much larger percentage.

as to when lockdown will next be extended, my thoughts is that I’ll think they’ll extend it by another three weeks just before the may bank holiday which is on the 9th this year.

I've noticed that for some of Arcadia's cruises, Early Saver fares are now longer available.

We recently converted our FCCs into an Arcadia cruise on Early Saver.  It is now Select fare only, with a price difference in excess of £2k pp!  Glad we did what we did. 

Whether that cruise will go is another matter.

28 minutes ago, DamianG said:

I completely agree, and with typical cruise destinations such as France, Spain and Italy having their ports closed where do these hopefuls think that they will sail to?

Probably France,Spain,Italy. The World will not close forever. I refuse to hide forever and we taking all sorts of holidays once this awful virus had passed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, amfc_lenny said:

That’s very interesting. I haven’t bothered to check prices as we won’t set foot on any cruise ship until we are vaccinated, but the consensus seems to be that current prices are inflated whilst people use FCC to commit to new bookings (rendering the extra 25% worthless). Those saying that is not the case are comparing prices against recent months, but the acid test is always launch prices. I think the best option remains to take a cash refund and then look at launch prices for Summer 2022 cruises when they are released. 

Lockdown is an interesting one. I don’t doubt that the science will probably confirm that another 3 weeks of lockdown after this one will be needed, but that will need to be weighed up against the economic damage. Also, I would put money on the fact that the great British public who have, in the main, been very compliant so far, will start to turn against restrictions if they go on much longer. I don’t envy Boris having to make a call on this once her returns from convalescence!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

That’s very interesting. I haven’t bothered to check prices as we won’t set foot on any cruise ship until we are vaccinated, but the consensus seems to be that current prices are inflated whilst people use FCC to commit to new bookings (rendering the extra 25% worthless). Those saying that is not the case are comparing prices against recent months, but the acid test is always launch prices. I think the best option remains to take a cash refund and then look at launch prices for Summer 2022 cruises when they are released. 

Lockdown is an interesting one. I don’t doubt that the science will probably confirm that another 3 weeks of lockdown after this one will be needed, but that will need to be weighed up against the economic damage. Also, I would put money on the fact that the great British public who have, in the main, been very compliant so far, will start to turn against restrictions if they go on much longer. I don’t envy Boris having to make a call on this once her returns from convalescence!

Our Britannia cruise that we should be on now is exactly 25% more than we paid and I don't think we got the very best price, so the FCC would be no benefit. 

As for the lockdown finishing, you have hit the nail on the head. 

Our industry is pushing to reopen but have been told we have no chance until at least the end of May, so have had to furlough til then. 

I try to stay optimistic and looking at ways to start trading again, but keep getting knocked back. 

Andy 

2 hours ago, amfc_lenny said:

I thought lockdown had been extended to the 7th May? The bank holiday is the 8th.

I have just received an email from our travel agent about our June cruise, this has been cancelled and they put a credit on my account.

All cruises up to 31 July have been cancelled.

They are offering 125% FCC , it can used against a cruise already booked. It can be used to upgrade a future cruises. It can be transferred to family or friends cruises. The voucher on my account is valid for cruises up March 2022 but must used by 31 December 21.

There is an online form with the email if I want a refund. I am going to complete this as who knows what the future of cruising will. We have cruises booked for Feb and June 21. I am hoping these happen but nobody can be certain.

The refund can take up to 60 days.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

This is not what other people have been told. Do you have that in writing?

The new T&Cs show a slight easing for use to upgrade your cabin on an existing booking, or using it to add a further cabin for relatives, but you're still unable to use it as full or part payment of your existing booking.

Edited by terrierjohn

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The new T&Cs show a slight easing for use to upgrade your cabin on an existing booking, or using it to add a further cabin for relatives, but you're still unable to use it as full or part payment of your existing booking.

Thanks for the clarification.

Had the email for june cancelled cruise filled in straight away for cash refund or should I say cheque , but nothing in form of a confirmation yet if you get one .Noticed it is still all on the cruise personeliser dont know if that ever drops off the screen when somebody starts dealing with it .Had an email from cruise .co.uk just after the p and o email stating I should fill in the email from p and o if I wanted the cash refund so at least I got that bit correct. Any thoughts from anybody .

11 minutes ago, Bin man said:

Had the email for june cancelled cruise filled in straight away for cash refund or should I say cheque , but nothing in form of a confirmation yet if you get one .Noticed it is still all on the cruise personeliser dont know if that ever drops off the screen when somebody starts dealing with it .Had an email from cruise .co.uk just after the p and o email stating I should fill in the email from p and o if I wanted the cash refund so at least I got that bit correct. Any thoughts from anybody .

When I cancelled my Iona cruises, the customer services person closed it down straight away and emailed me a cancellation invoice showing zero cancellation charges. Still waiting for the money though.

This is cut and pasted from the email I received from my TA this morning.

A Future Cruise Credit, worth 125% of your original cruise booking, has been applied to your account. You can choose to use this credit in a number of ways: it can be put towards an existing booking you have with P&O Cruises, used to add-on new cabins to your existing booking or upgrade your own cabin, transferred to family and friends or you can book a completely new cruise. It’s valid on any sailing up until 31st March 2022 and you can redeem the voucher until 31st December 2021.

When I click on the web refund link, it takes through to P and O.

2 hours ago, Jennizor said:

A Future Cruise Credit, worth 125% of your original cruise booking, has been applied to your account. You can choose to use this credit in a number of ways: it can be put towards an existing booking you have with P&O Cruises, used to add-on new cabins to your existing booking or upgrade your own cabin, transferred to family and friends or you can book a completely new cruise. It’s valid on any sailing up until 31st March 2022 and you can redeem the voucher until 31st December 2021.

Now that is definitely different to what the new T&Cs on the website say, we will need to see if anyone succeeds in using it against an existing booking, on its own without an upgrade or booking an extra cabin.

2 hours ago, Jennizor said:

If you look at the new a Covid advice part of the P&O website accessed from the top of the homepage under the cancellation of cruises extension, you will see that it is clearly set out that FCC is only for new bookings (or upgrading a cabin or booking a new cabin for friends or family on an already booked cruise). It couldn’t be clearer. Some agents seem to be passing on false information in order to encourage or preserve future bookings. It makes no sense to me to prioritise what an agent says over what the cruise provider says, especially when the cruise provider’s policy is made so clear.

• Like 1