When will the next shutdown extension be announced?

otbc

This is from the Motley Fools page on April 2nd:

What has Carnival done?

The cruise line has had to cancel a number of cruises based on the ports certain ships leave from or stop in. These decisions are due to the impact of the coronavirus in specific areas and/or local decisions that have taken the choice out of the company's hands. These cancellations include:

• All Alaska sailings through and including June 30, 2020.
  • All San Francisco sailings through 2020.
  • All Carnival Radiance sailings through and including November 1, 2020.
  • All Carnival Legend sailings through and including October 30, 2020.

San Francisco would have been a new port for the company. Carnival Radiance sailings are being pushed back because the ship's remodel has been delayed.

I know this is Carnival rather than P&O but they do own P&O so I think this looks like the way things are going.

Peter

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Can't see it having that much impact.  The latest date on this order would be 18th July.  Personally, I would be very surprised if we see any ships sailing before the Autumn.

If nothing else, I think it just hammers home the point that nothing will be happening before those 100 days are passed as the caveats for reducing it were listed as one of the following happening first:

1) Federal health officials determine COVID-19 is no longer a public health emergency,

2) CDC rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or "other consideration"

3) 100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register. 

Looking at the most recent numbers of positive cases being registered would indicate that option #1 in the US and UK is out of the question, and the same could be said for option #2 thus leaving option #3 as the most plausible.

The fact this is now officially public knowledge it does make me wonder why P&O are not just ripping off the bandage and letting people know that there will be no cruising for the next 100 days and they use this official word as the basis.  Its always easier to make the situation seem bigger and then scale back than to constantly pick away at it bit by bit and in doing so piss off a considerable percentage of the public who are just waiting to the "i told you so" game.

59 minutes ago, Zombatar said:

...I know this is Carnival rather than P&O but they do own P&O so I think this looks like the way things are going.

Peter

No, this is Carnival Cruise Line, who do not own P&O.  They are simply one of the brands owned by Carnival Corporation.

36 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

If nothing else, I think it just hammers home the point that nothing will be happening before those 100 days are passed as the caveats for reducing it were listed as one of the following happening first:

1) Federal health officials determine COVID-19 is no longer a public health emergency,

2) CDC rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or "other consideration"

3) 100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register. 

Looking at the most recent numbers of positive cases being registered would indicate that option #1 in the US and UK is out of the question, and the same could be said for option #2 thus leaving option #3 as the most plausible.

The fact this is now officially public knowledge it does make me wonder why P&O are not just ripping off the bandage and letting people know that there will be no cruising for the next 100 days and they use this official word as the basis.  Its always easier to make the situation seem bigger and then scale back than to constantly pick away at it bit by bit and in doing so piss off a considerable percentage of the public who are just waiting to the "i told you so" game.

The CDC and "Federal health officials" are only relevant to the USA, not the rest of the world.  None of the P&O ships are due to sail for the USA until September.  It will now be interesting to see if any of the big USA-based lines go ahead and cancel any cruises out of or into US ports up to 18th July...

15 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It was interesting to see that Allure OTS has sailed across to Europe and is  currently in Southampton, so RCI obviously believe there will be some summer sailings in Europe this year.

Allure was due for a dry dock in Cadiz in March instead of Freeport once the dry dock there had been damaged. It has had ongoing propulsion issues for months ( certainly had when we were aboard last October).

With the Spanish lock down and restriction of work force moments the ship diverted to Southampton.

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

The CDC and "Federal health officials" are only relevant to the USA, not the rest of the world.  None of the P&O ships are due to sail for the USA until September.  It will now be interesting to see if any of the big USA-based lines go ahead and cancel any cruises out of or into US ports up to 18th July...

Yes i realize that its only relevant to the USA; however, the initial cancellations of cruises were done so according to Ludlow based on recommendations made by the CDC, etc.  Not to mention of course the fact that Carnival Corp is an American company so whatever decisions are being made re. cessation of cruising is coming from the top that much is for certain!

8 hours ago, majortom10 said:

If the company she is using is ABTA bonded tell her to contact them as the rep from ABTA said recently as reported on here that they are forced to give a refund if that is what they want because it is UK law and ABTA would not be happy if any of their members were not acting responsibly.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/abta-cancelled-holiday-atol-refunds-package-travel-regulations-a9458826.html

ABTA representative was on BBC or Sky yesterday saying word for word the above. We all understand cash flow but there seem to be a few that want to make up their own rules. You must ask her to report this to ABTA for her and the benefit of others

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trevor33 said:

ABTA representative was on BBC or Sky yesterday saying word for word the above. We all understand cash flow but there seem to be a few that want to make up their own rules. You must ask her to report this to ABTA for her and the benefit of others

Thank you both. 

She called them again today and they still won't budge, so she has emailed ABTA. 

They would not let her escalate it or give contact details to complain, just saying that is it, full stop... 

Andy 

10 hours ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Yes i realize that its only relevant to the USA; however, the initial cancellations of cruises were done so according to Ludlow based on recommendations made by the CDC, etc.  Not to mention of course the fact that Carnival Corp is an American company so whatever decisions are being made re. cessation of cruising is coming from the top that much is for certain!

It was the CLIA who got together to advise regarding the first pause. P&O followed their advice.

4 hours ago, Ray66 said:

If it's of any help to any of you, Cunard have today removed all sailings off their website until August. But I notice P&O have not yet done so.

(Apologies if already mentioned).

QM2 was due to have a US transatlantic season, QE was due to be in Alaska so it’s not a surprise. Leaving just QV on sale would be confusing. Doesn’t mean P&O should as they are not heading to the US.

5 hours ago, mickrory said:

Once they've worked out how to impose social distancing on sunbeds they'll advise on next round of cancellations.

We may have to wait a while.

New procedures already created but until infection rates drop and ports reopen mute point.

9 hours ago, Ray66 said:

If it's of any help to any of you, Cunard have today removed all sailings off their website until August. But I notice P&O have not yet done so.

(Apologies if already mentioned).

P&O want as much money out of customers as possible so I cant see them removing cruises for sale they are not even cancelling as far in advance as other lines, 

2 hours ago, glittergal1 said:

P&O want as much money out of customers as possible so I cant see them removing cruises for sale they are not even cancelling as far in advance as other lines, 

Which ones?

Princess cancelled until 10 May.

Royal Caribbean cancelled until 12 May.

Norwegian cancelled until 15 May.

All seem fairly similar. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve just seen another post on Facebook suggesting round Britain cruises. If our October cruise was changed to that I’d go, after all if the weather is a bit iffy (and we’ve been on cold weather short cruises that we’ve enjoyed) half the fun for us is enjoying all the ship has to offer.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I’ve just seen another post on Facebook suggesting round Britain cruises. If our October cruise was changed to that I’d go, after all if the weather is a bit iffy (and we’ve been on cold weather short cruises that we’ve enjoyed) half the fun for us is enjoying all the ship has to offer.

Yep, we would jump at that too. 

Andy 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Yep, we would jump at that too. 

Andy 

It would depend where it goes. I wouldn’t mind visiting some of the larger Scottish islands but presumably only the three smaller ships could dock there. We went to Lerwick on Artemis many years ago and at the time it was the largest ship to have docked there. Maybe it still is.

Edited by pete14
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Grando said:

Would an Around Britain cruise need travel insurance? Just a thought!

I guess there's still the chance that you might need evacuating from the ship in the event of a medical emergency at sea. Not forgetting that you'd need to pay/claim for any treatment on board too. But if you were in port you'd get the normal NHS treatment for free, as we would if we were on a land based UK holiday. P&O could offer to cover any on board medical costs to entice people on a UK only cruise. I'd definitely be up for it! 

Edited by cruisenewbie1976
Typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

It would depend where it goes. I wouldn’t mind visiting some of the larger Scottish islands but presumably only the three smaller ships could dock there. We went to Lerwick on Artemis many years ago and at the time it was the largest ship to have docked there. Maybe it still is.

At the moment Pete, I wouldn't care if it was 10 times around the Isle of Wight... 

Really need a cruise... 

Andy 

• Like 1

A cruise around the UK very much appeals to me too, but not in the next 18 months. Until Coronavirus is conquered, or we are all vaccinated against it, going on any cruise ship, even around the UK, would be foolhardy IMHO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grando said:

Would an Around Britain cruise need travel insurance? Just a thought!

Yes they do require insurance just the same as any other cruise as you could be at sea and require an airlift.

We specifically asked the question when insurance for my mum was getting prohibitive and got the same answer from any number of insurance companys.