Do you REALLY think we'll be cruising this year?

MarkWiltonM

3 hours ago, latserrof said:

Here too. Unfortunately too many of us in the US at all levels have no concept of the common good, social responsibility, and what it takes to maintain a society; it's all about me, me, me, now, now, now.

I live in a hotspot in MA. I cannot believe the numbers of people who refuse to wear masks. Total disregard for others.  Supposedly mandatory on Wednesday.

In the good weather neighbors think nothing of having parties. My sisters neighbor had a huge baby shower yesterday.

This quarantine is a joke IMO.  
After all it’s only the elderly who will die. (Sarcasm here)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Caymus88 said:

I live in a hotspot in MA. I cannot believe the numbers of people who refuse to wear masks. Total disregard for others.  Supposedly mandatory on Wednesday.

In the good weather neighbors think nothing of having parties. My sisters neighbor had a huge baby shower yesterday.

This quarantine is a joke IMO.  
After all it’s only the elderly who will die. (Sarcasm here)

So did Governor or local official mandate masks?  You think common sense but it helps to have a rule to point to...

6 hours ago, latserrof said:

Here too. Unfortunately too many of us in the US at all levels have no concept of the common good, social responsibility, and what it takes to maintain a society; it's all about me, me, me, now, now, now.

I have no use for  some who go out to party and do what they want,   but there are many folks who have no money left, no food and children to feed, rent to pay and car payments due,  and no gov help.  They need to get out to work...hopefully in a safe and sanitized environment.  Some of the lockdown rules are not reasonable and are violated by those who impose them. 

I' m in the risk group so still on home isolation, other than groceries and Rxs, but realize the toll it is taking on everyone...... cruising is  becoming a distant memory  and fleeting hope for the future.!

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, zitsky said:

So did Governor or local official mandate masks?  You think common sense but it helps to have a rule to point to...

Yes as of Wednesday mandatory. Cities mandated earlier

A good question that I have is that if all of the crew from the ships are finally being sent home fleet wide, how is anyone supposed to cruise in the next few months? It's going to cost millions of dollars to get them home via private transport (as stated in the CDC terms they agreed to); they are just supposed to do an about face in 2-3 months time to get everyone back? Doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

13 hours ago, zitsky said:

Obesity a risk factor?  I did not know that.

Thread I started in April......A bit dated because  drs notes are not needed  for now. But it did  have some intetesting posts.

22 hours ago, zitsky said:

So do you rank everyone and decide who gets the most medical care?

Seniors the most?

Children the least?

zitsky- this is not a competition or a question of ranking.  Everybody should get COVID-19 medical care who needs it. But there are much higher risk groups, like elderly in nursing homes - a proven fact- for hospitalizations and deaths.  Children and young adults have been at much lower risk- and yes there are deaths there too but statistically far fewer and many of those have other underlying health issues.

This might come into focus if a vaccine is developed.  Initial doses will be limited.  Remember there are age groups approved for most vaccines.  I believe that a COVID vaccine will initially be reserved for those most at risk- so initially if dosing is limited it will go to those in nursing homes and assisted care facilities, health care workers, first responders, and people of any age including children with underlying medical conditions.  Healthy folks who just want to cruise will not be a high priority for limited vaccine doses initially.

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 1

The longer people do not cooperate, the longer this pandemic will go on.  Some people think that they are invincible, until they are not.  Let's all respect what we know is the right thing to do.  Stay home as much as possible, wear a mask and for now- cruising can be dangerous.  Just because you are "allowed" to cruise, doesn't mean that it isn't potentially dangerous.  I would wait a few months after the first few cruises before I consider cruising .

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

The longer people do not cooperate, the longer this pandemic will go on.  Some people think that they are invincible, until they are not.  Let's all respect what we know is the right thing to do.  Stay home as much as possible, wear a mask and for now- cruising can be dangerous.  Just because you are "allowed" to cruise, doesn't mean that it isn't potentially dangerous.  I would wait a few months after the first few cruises before I consider cruising .

I think when we are all given permission to cruise again and ships are up and running if everything possible is put in place it really is up to each individual, no one will be breaking any laws as far as I’m aware and as such we all need to respect the choices that we all make. Let’s wait and see how things stand when cruising is up and running again whenever that is. We are certainly obeying every rule put in place in our country ( no masks at this point).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, latserrof said:

it's all about me, me, me, now, now, now.

Are you referring to the Oceanview Cafe ???  Holy cow, that's a tough place during meal times !!!!

I should tell you about the time etc,etc, ---

I'm sure y'all ( I love that expression) have been exposed to the same thing, er, people.

Masks are not the be all and end all solution to the problem. In fact their misuse by many users actually puts them at increased risk, disposable masks should be properly put on and kept on then disposed of and replaced. Unbelievable the number of people who reuse them, reposition them on their face, lower them to speak, eat etc all dramatically increasing the risk of catching infection from the mask itself. Then there is the issue of insufficient supplies for front line workers if demand is significantly raised by the general public. 

43 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

zitsky- this is not a competition or a question of ranking.  Everybody should get COVID-19 medical care who needs it. But there are much higher risk groups, like elderly in nursing homes - a proven fact- for hospitalizations and deaths.  Children and young adults have been at much lower risk- and yes there are deaths there too but statistically far fewer and many of those have other underlying health issues.

This might come into focus if a vaccine is developed.  Initial doses will be limited.  Remember there are age groups approved for most vaccines.  I believe that a COVID vaccine will initially be reserved for those most at risk- so initially if dosing is limited it will go to those in nursing homes and assisted care facilities, health care workers, first responders, and people of any age including children with underlying medical conditions.  Healthy folks who just want to cruise will not be a high priority for limited vaccine doses initially.

@TeeRick your first paragraph says no ranking in medical care.  Your second paragraph says ranking for vaccine delivery.  If someone cruises a year from now and gets sick, they should get medical care.  I think we agree on that.  I'm not sure they should be last in line for a vaccine.

31 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

The longer people do not cooperate, the longer this pandemic will go on...

Actually, that's sort of backwards. The longer people do not cooperate, the longer the restrictions will go on. But the pandemic would end sooner if we all went about our regular business, albeit with potentially more dire consequences. The trick is finding the right balance.

• Like 2

Just now, BigAl94 said:

Masks are not the be all and end all solution to the problem. In fact their misuse by many users actually puts them at increased risk, disposable masks should be properly put on and kept on then disposed of and replaced. Unbelievable the number of people who reuse them, reposition them on their face, lower them to speak, eat etc all dramatically increasing the risk of catching infection from the mask itself. Then there is the issue of insufficient supplies for front line workers if demand is significantly raised by the general public. 

We are required to wear masks in the USA to go out to grocery stores for example.  But they are only to protect others from your own respiratory vapors.  Not oneself.  No medical-quality protective masks are available to the general population.  Healthcare workers are also at risk because there are not sufficient protective medical masks like N-95.  Many people have to try and make their own masks of any material at hand.  But most people are trying. Try finding masks at the store or on Amazon.  Good luck with that!  It is hard to comply with proper mask techniques in this situation.  We are told that any covering is better than no covering.  Those are the sad facts here on May 5th over 4 months into the pandemic.

1 minute ago, BigAl94 said:

Absolutely.  All of the Cruise Lines are carrying enormous levels of debt (debt that was obviously out-of-whack before COVID-19).  Although there are obviously variances, what affects one affects all in the long run.

10 minutes ago, zitsky said:

@TeeRick your first paragraph says no ranking in medical care.  Your second paragraph says ranking for vaccine delivery.  If someone cruises a year from now and gets sick, they should get medical care.  I think we agree on that.  I'm not sure they should be last in line for a vaccine.

I did not say they should be last in line for a vaccine.  I said the circumstances of limited vaccine dosing initially will dictate who gets it.

So far medical care has been abundant for COVID infections and everybody for the most part can get treatment.  No need to ration it.  No need to rank it or prioritize it.  Where I live we are far below the surge capacity built up for COVID.  Hospitals are half empty.  For most of the USA this is the case.  Even in NYC they are handling the surge.  Every age group.

But a vaccine with a few million initial doses will not go very far if you think about vaccinating the entire population- and remember we are talking the world population.  There has to be some rational priority based on risk.

• Like 1

It is the start of the bad news being reported by the cruise lines themselves. They are required by law in SEC reports to report their outlook and worst case scenario. I think most of us except the biggest fans and deniers realized that with no revenue all the cruise lines are in trouble. Also reading the tea leaves NCL does not want to refund money. Wait to the last minute to cancel cruises and get people to take FCC instead of cash. Of course they had no problem issuing Frank Del Rio an $18 million dollar bonus in the last few weeks while laying off shoreside workers.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It is the start of the bad news being reported by the cruise lines themselves. They are required by law in SEC reports to report their outlook and worst case scenario. I think most of us except the biggest fans and deniers realized that with no revenue all the cruise lines are in trouble. Also reading the tea leaves NCL does not want to refund money. Wait to the last minute to cancel cruises and get people to take FCC instead of cash. Of course they had no problem issuing Frank Del Rio an $18 million dollar bonus in the last few weeks while laying off shoreside workers.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All the lines may well be restructured and current shareholders will be out of luck. When they sail again, they will be smaller and with much less debt. Carnival claims to be sailing again August  1 but hard to believe unless things drastically improve.