When will Royal start cruises?

4 minutes ago, Stallion said:

Ole Ole Ole Ole!!!

f. Onboard isolation, quarantine, and social distancing protocols to minimize the risk of transmission and spread of COVID-19;

That doesn't sound like much fun, or a fun vacation. :classic_huh:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Coralc said:

That doesn't sound like much fun, or a fun vacation. :classic_huh:

What truly sounds miserable about a 2020 cruise is the inevitable mix of people willing to wear masks & those who aren't.

The cruise line - RCI or any other - can set whatever rules it likes, but with thousands of people on a ship the compliance rate will be determined by passengers ... there simply won't be enough Security to enforce it full-time everywhere. And unlike rumrunning, sandals on formal nite, shorts in the MDR, chair hoggery or any of the other pesky stuff, this is actually a CRUCIAL matter to many people. (Meanwhile, there's a militant group in the U.S. that simply cannot be trusted to truly comply) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

June 12th???

First, you'd have to find a ship that was successfully able to repatriate its crew and convince a fresh crew to come onboard. 

Then you'd have to find a port that would allow you to dock and potentially infect their population.

14 minutes ago, momofmab said:

Then you'd have to find a port that would allow you to dock and potentially infect their population.

True about ports.   There are ports that will not be very accommodating and some that will be closed.   Key West has a petition out to limit the number of daily cruise ship passengers to 1,500 per day.  Charleston also wants restrictions as well as some ports in Maine.  The Seychelles wants no cruises until 2022.  Venice has been making noises about closing the port to cruise ships way before Covid.  Australia and New Zealand want more protection from cruise ships as well.  Even some Caribbean islands are imposing restrictions. 

The port situation compounds the problem of restarting cruise operations.  It will be a logistical nightmare. 

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2020/05/18/when-cruises-from-florida-reopen-many-popular-destination-ports-wonder-when-and-whether-to-welcome-back-tourists

15 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Cruises should not return until every person has the opportunity to take either a vaccine or an equivalent in a pill form.

When will cruised return ? Probably sometime in 2021.

I’m with you! We have two BTB in the med, this late fall. Either way, not the best time to go abroad either. People over profit is my motto....

• Like 1

The only upcoming cruise I have is in November on Oasis.  I have a NRD, so I'm stuck with either making the final payment in August  and wait for it to cancel or doing Lift and Switch, which is probably the option I will take - moving  it to Nov 2021.  

I personally don't care if they change the itinerary because to me Oasis is the destination, so they can take me anywhere or just float around for a week if they could get the rules changed.  On that ship I just wouldn't care.

If cruises open up and look like they are something I would be interested in doing again I can always book something between then and Nov 2021.  Or for a while, I just might do something else less complicated than cruising.

Edited by mek

7 hours ago, Shellygal said:

I’m with you! We have two BTB in the med, this late fall. Either way, not the best time to go abroad either. People over profit is my motto....

People over profit should be the motto of our politicians.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

In the news this morning there is a vaccine being tested on 45 people showing excellent results.

that's good news, but even if everything went PERFECT you and I wouldn't be able to get vaccinated until next year. 

No Vaccine still today for those of us who want to travel -  

All I know is that I have a cruise that is final payment this week for 8/23 out of NY on Oasis. I would love to go but I am a realist and don't believe this is happening. I wish Royal was a bit more up front with what they are doing as I think they should be.

I booked these on a cruise so the deposit was only $100 per person (family of 6 = $600). I don't think I will part with $5K and see what happens and hope they refund me or ask for a credit and be bound to them . I can afford to lose $600 (I know I still have that as a credit) and cancel my drinks today with excursions and internet for the $2k that it ran me. I will cut my losses if there ar any in the future and if and when this resumes pay what it is for my next cruise. 

This whole situation stinks!

3 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

In the news this morning there is a vaccine being tested on 45 people showing excellent results.

It was actually announced and in the news yesterday and it's the reason the stock market rebounded.  It was announced by Moderna.  Googie it if you want more info.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BND said:

It was actually announced and in the news yesterday and it's the reason the stock market rebounded.  It was announced by Moderna.  Googie it if you want more info.

The question is will the vaccine after deemed to be the one we are waiting for be available to the general public similiar to the flu vaccine ?

On 5/17/2020 at 9:04 PM, Hogbay said:

They will start on a Thursday 🤔.

one in seven of been right . better than 1 in 64 🤣

I don’t think you realize all the logistical nightmares involved in restarting cruising. Plus the health crisis is far from over. No way cruises start until a Friday, probably not until Saturday. 

Edited by zekekelso
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mek said:

The only upcoming cruise I have is in November on Oasis.  I have a NRD, so I'm stuck with either making the final payment in August  and wait for it to cancel or doing Lift and Switch, which is probably the option I will take - moving  it to Nov 2021.  

I personally don't care if they change the itinerary because to me Oasis is the destination, so they can take me anywhere or just float around for a week if they could get the rules changed.  On that ship I just wouldn't care.

If cruises open up and look like they are something I would be interested in doing again I can always book something between then and Nov 2021.  Or for a while, I just might do something else less complicated than cruising.

You can change it to any other sailing without incurring a change fee at this time.  Must be done by August 1st.

Q : How are Non-Refundable Deposit bookings impacted by this policy update?
A : Non-Refundable Deposit bookings sailing on-or-before April 30th, 2022 are eligible for the Cruise with Confidence Policy and follow the same guidelines. Prior to the Final Payment deadline, guests with a Non-Refundable Deposit bookings that wish to change to a different ship or sail date can do so with no fee assessed prior to August 1, 2020 - the change fee will be waived.

16 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

What truly sounds miserable about a 2020 cruise is the inevitable mix of people willing to wear masks & those who aren't.

The cruise line - RCI or any other - can set whatever rules it likes, but with thousands of people on a ship the compliance rate will be determined by passengers ... there simply won't be enough Security to enforce it full-time everywhere. And unlike rumrunning, sandals on formal nite, shorts in the MDR, chair hoggery or any of the other pesky stuff, this is actually a CRUCIAL matter to many people. (Meanwhile, there's a militant group in the U.S. that simply cannot be trusted to truly comply) 

Here here!!  It'll be a miserable experience for those who are willing to cruise and comply.  The cruise lines best not think they can blow things by the CDC (or any other authorities) and/or not give a hoot about enforcement of mitigation measures because ONE infection outbreak and they will be done!  Maybe the militants should consider that before they go on their "my personal freedoms" bender...but they won't 😏

• Like 1

23 hours ago, oceanblue33 said:

Oh yes there will be there getting close.  At least that's what the president said. 

Besides that coming from one of the most unreliable sources on the planet, there are literally no vaccines currently available in pill form. They were working on a pill flu vaccine but believe it to be at least 5 years away

On 5/19/2020 at 11:07 AM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

While not poo-pooing this news, a 45 person test is nowhere near something that can be relied on as a success.

10 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

While not poo-pooing this news, a 45 person test is nowhere near something that can be relied on as a success.

It was a premature announcement so who knows? It was a 45 person test group but they were bracketed by age and dosage. The results were effective on 8 of the recipients but they did not release the ages or effective dosage. It certainly gave the company stock a roller coaster ride.

I just saw this on another CC post:

Dear valued Travel Partners,

Royal Caribbean® remains committed to providing you and your clients with the support and service necessary to navigate these extraordinary times. With health and safety at the forefront, we are committed to doing our part to combat the COVID-19 pandemic and have therefore confirmed that the suspension of all cruise operations is now extended through July 31, 2020. This decision is in alignment with guidance provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and will allot ample time to further develop our comprehensive return to service measures to protect our guests and crew as we adapt to a “new tomorrow.”

Projections keep changing on a daily basis. And from what I’m reading, many in the travel

sector have become more optimistic than they were just a week ago. For example, Delta’s CEO had said that a rebound in air travel would take take 3-4 years. Now he’s confident that it’s looking more like 12-18 months. 

We can sit here and speculate all we want about when the cruise lines will actually return. We can be positive or negative. We can speculate that it won’t return until a vaccine becomes available. We can speculate that it will return before it does. Respectfully, every opinion or speculation on Cruise Critic is exactly that: an opinion or speculation. So take it for what it is.

https://video.foxbusiness.com/v/6157951829001/#sp=show-clips

• Like 2

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

And if this is the Moderna vaccine, it was only 8 people 

And as of today, vaccine experts are questioning even that data.  

It is silly to think that every bit of news that dribbles out is suddenly going to get people back on ships. 

1 minute ago, Tapi said:

Projections keep changing on a daily basis. And from what I’m reading, many in the travel

sector have become more optimistic than they were just a week ago. For example, Delta’s CEO had said that a rebound in air travel would take take 3-4 years. Now he’s confident that it’s looking more like 12-18 months. 

We can sit here and speculate all we want about when the cruise lines will actually return. We can be positive or negative. We can speculate that it won’t return until a vaccine becomes available. We can speculate that it will return before it does. Respectfully, every opinion or speculation on Cruise Critic is exactly that: an opinion or speculation. So take it for what it is.

https://video.foxbusiness.com/v/6157951829001/#sp=show-clips

Everybody is just throwing opinions to the winds.  And if they are corporate based, opinions that need to be closely vetted.

Who knows what happens if there is a second wave?  Or a more extensive wave?  Or if there IS an effective vaccine in a year or 18 months?  Or if there is not?