People watching....

James4me

The family spats are the best!  I draw comfort in knowing that we aren't the only family out there who has had occasion to spat in public.

Sadly though, you can see/hear things that you wish you hadn't.  While waiting to board a cruise we sat across from a family of three.  They were not happy with each other but it was much more than a spat that you would laugh about later.  The guy was abusive and seemed to really enjoy berating his pre-teen kid in front of everyone.  The mom seemed to cower because of the scene.  She eventually got up and moved herself and child to another location leaving the bully to himself.  It was uncomfortable and I really felt for the others.

8 minutes ago, jerseyjjs said:

Back in the days of the Funnel Deck, the phrase "people watch" had another meaning.

If by funnel deck you mean the topless deck, then I agree.  My DH and I went up there once because it was the quietest place on the pool deck.  I didn't remove my top but those who did, really shouldn't have...if you know what I mean.  Some people just look better with clothes...

10 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

The family spats are the best!  I draw comfort in knowing that we aren't the only family out there who has had occasion to spat in public.

Sadly though, you can see/hear things that you wish you hadn't.  While waiting to board a cruise we sat across from a family of three.  They were not happy with each other but it was much more than a spat that you would laugh about later.  The guy was abusive and seemed to really enjoy berating his pre-teen kid in front of everyone.  The mom seemed to cower because of the scene.  She eventually got up and moved herself and child to another location leaving the bully to himself.  It was uncomfortable and I really felt for the others.

What is wrong with people???

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

If by funnel deck you mean the topless deck, then I agree.  My DH and I went up there once because it was the quietest place on the pool deck.  I didn't remove my top but those who did, really shouldn't have...if you know what I mean.  Some people just look better with clothes...

No doubt that’s what the poster meant and I agree with your comment about clothes. Unfortunately you still see that today on cruises. When people watching I can’t help thinking at times how can he/she think they look good in that outfit. I am not trying to sound mean, but some people need to learn to dress for their body type and/or age. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

No doubt that’s what the poster meant and I agree with your comment about clothes. Unfortunately you still see that today on cruises. When people watching I can’t help thinking at times how can he/she think they look good in that outfit. I am not trying to sound mean, but some people need to learn to dress for their body type and/or age. 

At my age I'm more interested in comfort than it looking good but I do try to make sure that I am presentable.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I'm glad the mom removed her child away.  

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 7:51 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

The first thing we do on a Carnival cruise is go to the lobby bar for a few drinks. It is a great location to watch people board the ship and to watch the various reactions of people when they first get on the ship. 

This has been my 'almost always' boarding day procedure as well.  But the effect has changed a bit.

I tend to be one of the first onboard, and will drop my shoulder bag in the cabin (snagging my key card) then return to the atrium bar for a few red wines while observing from one of the stools. For me it is/was all about those initial reactions from passengers arriving for what might be their first time doing a cruise vacation. I've been very fortunate for the opportunity to cruise quite often, and this adds some great perspective about not allowing that to ever become 'routine'.

Even if they've experience some sort of embarkation challenges, it tends to fade for the moment when officially on the ship.

When I mention the effect changing, it's because [seemingly] more and more are not really taking in the moment, because they are attempting to capture it on their phone, and are primarily focused only on that small screen, and not each other.  They'll experience it later when they start posting online, or prepare to delete the video. 

My first cruise after this 'cooties break' will hopefully be in mid-September, and I'll back in the atrium once again. 😊

• Like 2

18 hours ago, beachbum6264 said:

We have friends who we have cruised with several times. We like to make up the backstory for 'interesting' people/couples/groups.  A few drinks in and the stories get pretty interesting! 

Kind of like watching two people having a conversation from a distance and making up a conversation for them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Maybe what's good for their body type and age is anything they decide to wear.

• Like 5

On 6/5/2020 at 8:10 AM, sgttami said:

Seeing some interpretations of "Elegant Night" can provide an entertaining evening of people watching...LOL

Yes for sure. Always the best night of a cruise.

• Like 2

Carnival definitely provides THE BEST people watching of any cruise line I've ever sailed on. The things I've seen! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 4

Last cruise there was an older gentleman (probably in his 80's) strutting around in his banana hammock.  Some things should just not be worn.  Even if you are 20 and in great shape.  

• Like 2

On 6/7/2020 at 8:44 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

On 6/7/2020 at 8:55 AM, Butterbean1000 said:

What is wrong with people???

When I am at a popular Orlando amusement park, I wonder the same.  Being that place can be overwhelming hot and pricey,  families can be awful to each other.  I would say that it brings out the worse in some people but those same people being just nasty to their partner (and kids), will turn in a second and be sweet as pie to a stranger.

• Like 2

Just remembered this one.  On our Panama canal cruise we missed a port due to to rough of seas.  A lady in the buffet area started yelling and crying and also started beating the table saying that's why she came on this cruise.  I thought maybe she should have just flown there if it was that important. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sprint180 said:

Just remembered this one.  On our Panama canal cruise we missed a port due to to rough of seas.  A lady in the buffet area started yelling and crying and also started beating the table saying that's why she came on this cruise.  I thought maybe she should have just flown there if it was that important. 

We see posts on here every now and then where a port gets cancelled and the poster is complaining because that was why they booked the cruise and virtually everyone agrees that if the destination is that important cruising to it isn't the best way to go.

On 6/7/2020 at 8:34 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

When people watching I can’t help thinking at times how can he/she think they look good in that outfit. I am not trying to sound mean, but some people need to learn to dress for their body type and/or age. 

I'm gonna respectfully disagree.  

I love confident people.  If you think you look good in that outfit then rock it baby!! 

Personally, I am not the poster child for healthy eating.  While I'm at the beach or wandering about the pools you can either admire what I have accomplished with the help of several different breweries in 54 short years, or you can look away.  I don't care either way, I'm on vacation.

I've seen some wild stuff on elegant night or on the beach that I would NEVER wear, but hey, I ain't one to judge.  

• Like 4

On 6/7/2020 at 2:23 AM, mugtech said:

Perhaps they washed them in the sink every night and had portable toothbrushes.  They might have been in training to be the Jack Reachers of cruising.

Ah, I'm a Jack Reacher fan myself, long before the movies.  Didn't want you to think it had gone unnoticed!!

Based on the limited description and my imagination, I'm thinking they were of some religious or cultural sect and were required to wear that particular dress, and that they each had 3 or 4 of the same thing!!

• Like 1

A few years ago we had friends join us on a cruise, their first. We now cruise together once a year. My friend has joined the people watching club with us. We all love the pool deck. Arrive at 7 am and stay till dinner. Doesn't matter what the weather is. We laugh all day. angelsfort posted the best comments!

1 hour ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Ah, I'm a Jack Reacher fan myself, long before the movies.  Didn't want you to think it had gone unnoticed!!

Based on the limited description and my imagination, I'm thinking they were of some religious or cultural sect and were required to wear that particular dress, and that they each had 3 or 4 of the same thing!!

Oddly, I think of this family every single time we cruise.  The girls were probably 16-19, and the dresses were knee length, not like you would see with most conservative religious folks.  But they were that simple print you would associate with them.  The mother did not dress like they did.  I got a distinct Eastern European vibe.  The weird part was they never, ever spoke.  No one in the family ever spoke, not to each other, not to anyone else.  And they were at every show, every event.  If it was listed on the Capers, they were there.  Silent and stoid.

• Like 1

What are your thoughts when you see a woman in her 60’s, not in bad shape at all and she obviously wears clothes from like Forever 21?  I know that’s where the outfit comes from as my Niece wore one like it.  Do you think it’s a bit to young of a 60 year old to wear such clothing?  

52 minutes ago, James4me said:

What are your thoughts when you see a woman in her 60’s, not in bad shape at all and she obviously wears clothes from like Forever 21?  I know that’s where the outfit comes from as my Niece wore one like it.  Do you think it’s a bit to young of a 60 year old to wear such clothing?  

I think everybody has to be true to themselves and not worry about what everybody else feels is appropriate. But then again I’m not big on judging others by their choice of appearance.

Edited by bamaone
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, James4me said:

I like wearing Lily Pulitzer when I cruise.  My teenage daughters tease me a bit but they know that makes me happy.  Maybe wearing Forever 21 makes that person happy.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, James4me said:

I've never been able to look at an article of clothing and identify who made it or sold it, unless the person wearing it forgot to remove the tags.