Are vaccines the light at the end of the tunnel?

Ken the cruiser

7 hours ago, nocl said:

I believe there is light at the end of the cruise ship tunnel, but it is about 5 months away.

There is a fairly large study being run inside the US to definitively answer the question about vaccines, transmission and asymptomatic infection. If the data from that study is positive then we should see the CDC accept vaccination as a valid alternative to all of the other protective measures on board ship.

here's to hoping your prediction is correct :)  have Med cruise booked for October, & a HAL Mexican Riviera  out of San Diego for U.S. Thanksgiving week... figured the HAL one would go no matter what, but we might have to drive to Mexico to board... hoping we do not :)

• Like 1

I have no set  position  on a data base...maybe just get a sticker for your passport if needed for travel. but I  feel info being  put out by fed gov and others  is confusing.  

There are privacy and HIPPA considerations for employment....not my job anymore!

• Like 1

Bye bye cruise industry in FL.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R):

“It’s completely unacceptable for either the government or the private sector to impose upon you the requirement that you show proof of vaccine, just simply to participate in normal society,” DeSantis said at a news conference

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Oville - LOL - you beat me to posting the newest alternate reality statements by Florida government officials.

I also can't see how any cruising can resume from Florida if in addition to other control measures, the cruise line can not mandate vaccinations for crew and passengers.

11 hours ago, Oville said:

“It’s completely unacceptable for either the government or the private sector to impose upon you the requirement that you show proof of vaccine, just simply to participate in normal society,” DeSantis said at a news conference

Countdown to "clarification" of that statement with "I didn't mean the CRUISE industry when I said that.  I meant every OTHER private sector."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Countdown to "clarification" of that statement with "I didn't mean the CRUISE industry when I said that.  I meant every OTHER private sector."

Right. Once he realizes what he said.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Oville said:

Can any state decide to eliminate mask mandates or vaccine rules for cruising?   Who has priority?  Local or federal?

6 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Can any state decide to eliminate mask mandates or vaccine rules for cruising?   Who has priority?  Local or federal?

They MIGHT be able to jiggle the mandates, e.g., masks required at check-in since that is not cruise line property, but once onboard, likely the cruise company is the determinant. 

Funny thing, I had a dream last night that I was in a huge check-in process for a cruise for a room full of anti-maskers flaunting the requirement.  

11 minutes ago, zitsky said:

No. The mask rules are under federal jurisdiction for public conveyances Same as airports and planes. 

Vaccines will be requirements of a private company. Really hard to come up with a legal doctrine where a state can prohibit a private company from requiring what legally is voluntarily providing information as part of your voluntary choice to cruise.

I assume the state requires proof of childhood immunizations to attend public school. Most do, or a reason why not. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Funny thing, I had a dream last night that I was in a huge check-in process for a cruise for a room full of anti-maskers flaunting the requirement. 

I had the same dream " months " ago--- 

I also dream of : the long lines getting checked for " everything " -- daily !! , the " rings of fire "  waiting for an elevator, the thought of wearing a mask for 18 hrs a day , and ( LOL ) whether that " old f--t " is still with that young , beautiful , 32 yr old that he bought that " pre-loved " Rolex for on our last cruise.

• Like 1

Some more developments for the AstraZeneca vaccine in Canada.  Also Germany.

https://apnews.com/article/canada-panel-astrazeneca-vaccine-pause-under-55-06dde56d2db78d72c5bb9bcb97be4d5a

But good news for the Novavax vaccine.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tees-56570168

Edited by TeeRick
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, markeb said:

No. The mask rules are under federal jurisdiction for public conveyances Same as airports and planes. 

Vaccines will be requirements of a private company. Really hard to come up with a legal doctrine where a state can prohibit a private company from requiring what legally is voluntarily providing information as part of your voluntary choice to cruise.

I assume the state requires proof of childhood immunizations to attend public school. Most do, or a reason why not. 

Really not any different than asking if you've been sick in the past week or whatever it is they have always asked.   

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

IMO, if the CDC, which is federal, is preventing cruises from occurring, there's your answer.

1 minute ago, D C said:

Really not any different than asking if you've been sick in the past week or whatever it is they have always asked.   

Agree. But there is a level of absurdity out there that I've never seen in my life. 

I wasn't around then (I'm not sure how many survivors are still around), but I sometimes find it hard to believe we're only about three generations removed from "the greatest generation" that pulled together to win World War II...

• Like 6

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

https://apnews.com/article/canada-panel-astrazeneca-vaccine-pause-under-55-06dde56d2db78d72c5bb9bcb97be4d5a

I remain flabbergasted at all the stumbles and pitfalls of AZ. I don't know what to make of this one, as their clinical trials were generally big enough to have at least hinted at a problem big enough to change the age recommendations. At the 1:1,000,000 incidence, probably not. But the over 55 recommendation is going to all but eliminate them in the US; we're going to have that age group covered soon. And the most hospitalized group today is apparently 40-65 (fewer than the over 65 peak, but that age group isn't getting hospitalized nearly as much with vaccination). As could have been predicted, the push to vaccinate the highest risk changed the highest risk group of the remaining population...

5 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Oville - LOL - you beat me to posting the newest alternate reality statements by Florida government officials.

I also can't see how any cruising can resume from Florida if in addition to other control measures, the cruise line can not mandate vaccinations for crew and passengers.

Fortunately I do not believe state law would apply to boarding requirements.  He might be able to restrict it as far as people entering the terminal, but probably not on board.

Now would the cruise lines be willing to go against one of their strongest political allies, that is a different question.

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

But here is some better news for Canada and its vaccine efforts.  More doses from Pfizer delivered early.  Announced today by the PM.

"Combined with deliveries from AstraZeneca Plc and Moderna Inc, Canada now expects a total of 44 million doses by the end of June."

"This would place us in a very good situation to say that by the end of the summer, everyone would have received two doses," Trudeau said at a news conference."

https://news.yahoo.com/pfizer-accelerate-covid-19-vaccine-155534019.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

But here is some better news for Canada and its vaccine efforts.  More doses from Pfizer delivered early.  Announced today by the PM.

"Combined with deliveries from AstraZeneca Plc and Moderna Inc, Canada now expects a total of 44 million doses by the end of June."

"This would place us in a very good situation to say that by the end of the summer, everyone would have received two doses," Trudeau said at a news conference."

https://news.yahoo.com/pfizer-accelerate-covid-19-vaccine-155534019.html

While never doubting the best of intentions of our PM and his announcements, we've seen promised delivery after promised delivery delayed for one reason or another. They opened up vaccines for the 70+ age group in Ottawa yesterday morning, but didn't take into account that only a small handful of appointments could actually be offered due to the lack of vaccine. Maybe next week. Or the week after... Meanwhile, the mayor of Toronto was complaining over the weekend that they had vaccine and personnel to administer it but too few people booking appointments there. Logically, they could send some of their surplus vaccine here, but we know that will never happen. So we continue to wait patiently for the day we get our first shot.

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

While never doubting the best of intentions of our PM and his announcements, we've seen promised delivery after promised delivery delayed for one reason or another. They opened up vaccines for the 70+ age group in Ottawa yesterday morning, but didn't take into account that only a small handful of appointments could actually be offered due to the lack of vaccine. Maybe next week. Or the week after... Meanwhile, the mayor of Toronto was complaining over the weekend that they had vaccine and personnel to administer it but too few people booking appointments there. Logically, they could send some of their surplus vaccine here, but we know that will never happen. So we continue to wait patiently for the day we get our first shot.

Just curious Fouremco.  If Toronto does have additional doses and no takers, what would prevent them from being able to send surplus doses to Ottawa?  I know it may be complicated, and honestly I am not well versed on how doses are shared here in the US...it may be a very similar situation.

4 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Just curious Fouremco.  If Toronto does have additional doses and no takers, what would prevent them from being able to send surplus doses to Ottawa?  I know it may be complicated, and honestly I am not well versed on how doses are shared here in the US...it may be a very similar situation.

The distribution system within Ontario is meant to treat municipalities equally, "X" many vials per capita, but for reasons that are still unclear, Ottawa has come up short. Redistribution isn't something that was ever part of the roll out plan, as far as I can tell, and I'm sure that there is bureaucratic red tape that would prevent a quick ad hoc transfer. While it's annoying in the short term, I don't think that Toronto's "surplus" will be an ongoing issue.

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

The distribution system within Ontario is meant to treat municipalities equally, "X" many vials per capita, but for reasons that are still unclear, Ottawa has come up short. Redistribution isn't something that was ever part of the roll out plan, as far as I can tell, and I'm sure that there is bureaucratic red tape that would prevent a quick ad hoc transfer. While it's annoying in the short term, I don't think that Toronto's "surplus" will be an ongoing issue.

Thanks for the insight.  It's likely the same here between various counties, states, etc.

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I just got an e-mail from Windstar.  You will need to have the vaccine 14 days before the cruise and they require a PCR test 72 hours before.  Plus they will give another PCR test  during boarding.

The fun part will be figuring out the logistics of the PCR test.   Do you get the test before you fly and have the results e-mailed, etc.

If they are nailing down specific requirements I figure that there is a reasonable chance that they will cruise.

Edited by NMTraveller

4 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I just got an e-mail from Windstar.  You will need to have the vaccine 14 days before the cruise and they require a PCR test 72 hours before.  Plus they will give another PCR test  during boarding.

The fun part will be figuring out the logistics of the PCR test.   Do you get the test before you fly and have the results e-mailed, etc.

I wonder the same thing.  How do you guarantee you can get results of the test on time?