Unintended consequences

cl.klink

On another post, there has been discussion that a return to cruising was likely to require that disembarkation at a port would only be on the cruise line's own excursions -- so they could control where people go.  Wouldn't that result in more people choosing to stay onboard, and so stress social distancing when they do?

- Joel

Not  necessarily.  If I am in a port in Asia, Europe, New Zealand or anyplace we haven’ t.  been before we would not stay on the ship.  If a cruise line tour is the only option the. That’s what we will do.

In the  Caribbean we don’t leave the ship now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Some people see this as a money grab for the cruise lines, but that rule has been in place by the governments so they can track where people are going. not the cruise lines. I agree, it won't be any worse than a sea day.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I am assuming the tours will be well thought out, avoiding busy tourist areas and shopping centres. 

Many “Highlights of....” tours presently are simply coach tours with photo stops. I could see many excursions at first being this type. My biggest concern would be the coach itself, the lack of social distancing and the frequently touched rails getting on and off. 

I must confess our next booked cruise is all about being onboard where we know certain levels of hygiene will be maintained. Now, for us, is not the time to book a cruise where the ports of call are the priority. We have also deliberately booked a cruise with no flying, again concern re traveling through airports and lack of social distancing on board. 

For those who cruise to sightsee there are alternatives. One that springs to mind is hiring a villa in a location with lots of options for sightseeing by hire car. We have done this in Mallorca and whilst you are only seeing one island you are seeing areas and sites you wouldn’t get to on a cruise. 

Each of us will need, more carefully than ever, to look at the details of our next cruises and decide the point at which any restrictions ‘tip’ our choice from ‘acceptable compromise’ to ‘not worth going’.

• Like 2

Eh, everyone is on board in the evenings and sea days so I don't think fewer people getting off in port will be a problem for social distancing. They already have to have a plan in place to have everyone on board at once. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, deliver42 said:

Some people see this as a money grab for the cruise lines, but that rule has been in place by the governments so they can track where people are going. not the cruise lines. I agree, it won't be any worse than a sea day.

What government rules? That is new to me and I have been reading a lot of travel news since this all began.

One of the unintended concerns I have about future cruising is imposed restrictions (I understand why) to the cruise experience. Rigid rules for meals, entertainment, bars and lounges and maybe even on deck around pools etc. (sure will be hard to get a lounge chair now LOL).  I just have memories of past cruises and am having a difficult time visualizing the "new" way.

Will they have to reduce the passengers to half capacity?

Edited by pete_coach

12 hours ago, jelayne said:

Not  necessarily.  If I am in a port in Asia, Europe, New Zealand or anyplace we haven’ t.  been before we would not stay on the ship.  If a cruise line tour is the only option the. That’s what we will do.

In the  Caribbean we don’t leave the ship now.

I expect by the time Americans are traveling on cruise ships in Asia, Europe or especially New Zealand the conditions will have changed and the excursion limits will probably not apply.  The first cruises for those of us in the US where they most likely will apply will be probably be short Caribbean or Mexico cruises.

Not silly at all to me.  In theCaribbean, the ship is my destination.  I don’t care for salt water, avoid the sun, and generally stay on board in the shade.  

i don’t think you are “silly” for going to a beach, please don’t call me “silly” for staying on board.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Not silly at all to me.  In theCaribbean, the ship is my destination.  I don’t care for salt water, avoid the sun, and generally stay on board in the shade.  

i don’t think you are “silly” for going to a beach, please don’t call me “silly” for staying on board.

I agree.  We should all be free to enjoy cruising in our own way.  I rarely leave the ship in the Caribbean any more.  But that's my choice.  Everyone should be free to make their own choices.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

So, no opportunity to visit friends and relatives, eat at a local restaurant, shop independently?  Is that the word on the street?

Not just the word on the street. That’s how it’s done with the cruise lines which already start cruising in Europe.

We booked one of those cruises in September. Don’t really like that point - but hey, it’s compromising or not cruising at all. Simple choice.

Since we already know all the ports, we will also have to decide if we book a tour with the line or stay on board. If we book a tour with the cruise line, we’ll probably book one of the activity tours - like an e-bike tour. Less people and fresh air.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

Don’t really like that point - but hey, it’s compromising or not cruising at all. Simple choice.

Great perspective! As much as we might want to turn the clock back and cruise as we did pre-pandemic, that's simply not going to happen. Compromises are going to be the reality of cruises in the foreseeable future, and the sooner people accept it the better.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

So, no opportunity to visit friends and relatives, eat at a local restaurant, shop independently?  Is that the word on the street?

Exactly right.

MSC kicked some passengers (a family) off the ship for failing to stick with their excursion.  They would not let them back on the ship when they returned to the pier.

https://cruiseradio.net/kicked-off-cruise-line-boots-guests-for-ignoring-new-protocols/

• Like 3

It seems likely, at lest IMO, this will lead to even higher prices for the ship's excursions.....they will have to social distance on the buses, so that means at least double the number of buses for tour, hence more expense to the cruise line and thus a higher per person charge. 

Means 'm more likely to just stay home!

6 minutes ago, npcl said:

Exactly right.

MSC kicked some passengers (a family) off the ship for failing to stick with their excursion.  They would not let them back on the ship when they returned to the pier.

https://cruiseradio.net/kicked-off-cruise-line-boots-guests-for-ignoring-new-protocols/

Good for MSC. We are all used to seeing cruise lines look the other way when passengers ignore the rules (dress code comes to mind), so it's encouraging to see them taking these protocols seriously. It's hard to feel sympathy for the family that chose to break the rules knowing full well the consequences of its action. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

My significant problem with shore excursions by the cruise line is I don’t like being part of crowd and I always go some place they do not go. Either a beach not on their list or a beach restaurant I know of. If I go, I go on my own or I will go to a resort on the island to do my own thing. I will pass on cruising. Go to the Caribbean and sit on the ship the whole time? Silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was going to respond and then saw post #15 by @cruisestitch - said perfectly

6 hours ago, boom_boom said:

It seems likely, at lest IMO, this will lead to even higher prices for the ship's excursions.....they will have to social distance on the buses, so that means at least double the number of buses for tour, hence more expense to the cruise line and thus a higher per person charge. 

Means 'm more likely to just stay home!

I understand that excursions organized by the cruise line may not be as exciting, and will definitely be more expensive, but I don't have a problem supporting the cruise industry in that regard if it helps get cruising going again...

We normally really dislike the ship’s tours. I always say I have a bus and crowd allergy. So we usually book with local guides for 6 persons max.

But people, this ain’t normal times!!!

Maintaining a controlled environment makes perfect sense.

So it’s kind of funny to read so many post here about what people don’t like or won’t do... Tours, dancing and even the most basic thing like masks.

With all due respect: compromise or stay at home. This is how it needs to be done now and probably for some time to come - vaccine or not. Nobody is forced to cruise. But stop whining if you can’t just because you are not willing to do the right thing,

We can’t just press a button an make it all go away!

BTW: so far the price for excursions on the cruises sailing is just the same as before - regardless of smaller groups.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1