The Daily for Saturday Oct 17, 2020

richwmn

Good morning all.  Very interesting celebrations today, one of which I will definitely be celebrating - Macaroni and cheese with butternut squash and honey garlic sausage.  Will definitely add today’s meal suggestion to the list.  Love the quote about the phone - so true.  I wonder how many of us have dropped the phone in the bath water?   Martini's are not my thing, but I know they are very popular.    Thanks Rich for coming up with the most interesting things to post every day.  The quotes get me thinking as do the meal suggestions.  Next, a thank you to Roy for keeping up the lists.  Other then the 3 pots  of mums we have  and one hibiscus plant that we are waiting to see the final bloom from, the garden is closed for this year.  It has been an extra joy this year as we cocooned ourselves against the virus.  Over the winter I will immerse myself in seed catalogues and online nursery websites and hopefully by next spring I will have chosen some newbies for the garden.   My best to all, enjoy your day.

• Like 11

Today is a really good friends birthday. No one wants to go to a restaurant, so we are having a small barbeque for our " bubble friends". ( 8). We are having grilled shrimp and a cake from Publix.  

I am heading down to the beach and my cover up is really gaudy. Got it in Tahiti last year. I have all the bases covered for today!

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Good morning, and thanks for the Daily. It's good to see so many positives this morning. We thank the Almighty for safe travels, negative tests, and ask for relief where it is needed.

Sunrise offshore of Portland, ME three years ago.

951963751_PortlandMEsunrise2.thumb.JPG.0aa288662d849f850f46f1167abf6435.JPG

Please stay safe and healthy and hope everyone has a great day!

Lori & George

• Like 16

44 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning everyone.   We are home from our long drive to Missouri and back.  We visited with my mother-in-law every morning and afternoon since we arrived there Tuesday.  We would leave her alone for her mealtimes (spent in her room instead of the dining room due to one elderly resident testing positive for COVID last Monday).  They do an excellent job of shielding the residents from this virus.  We would take our temp upon arrival, fill out a questionnaire on our health, put on a plastic smock over our clothes and wear a face mask while there.  We used the stairs instead of elevator as we usually do.  Mother-in-law was very happy to see a visitor, that's for sure!  Sometimes she was lucid and then would drift into subjects that she thought were true or had happened, but really hadn't.  We would move the conversation on to other things and show her photos of her great grandkids and talk about that.  Twice we were able to FaceTime with our two children which amazed Mother-in-Law and they were happy to get their eyes actually on their Gram.  Altogether, I'd say it was a very positive visit.  However, we have gotten word she is now having some pain and swelling in her leg so they are having to deal with that.  It could be her arthritis in her knee but might also be a blood clot so that is concerning.  

I missed reading my daily dose of the Daily this week!  Today's quotes and meal selection of the day sound great.  Maybe I should suggest the Lemon Garlic Shrimp to DH.  

I tried to read up a little on the missed Dailies before coming here and was so sorry to hear of @DeeniEncinitas's friend passing this week.  My sympathy to you, Denise, and your friend's family and other friends.  😔

Welcome back! Your visit sounds special, not that easy to do these days. Hope all goes well for your MIL.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, kazu said:

@Seasick Sailor Happy upcoming birthday 🙂 

@rafinmd  I am happy to say you can take my sister and her family off the Care list.  Both my sister and BIL tested negative for covid so everyone is comfortable they don’t have it.  She’s still unwell but it’s some other virus, thankfully (not that I want her sick).

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, prayers and caring.  I am very thankful today ❤️ 

How wonderful, Jacqui! Hope your Sis recovers quickly!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, VintageGeo said:

Good morning, and thanks for the Daily. It's good to see so many positives this morning. We thank the Almighty for safe travels, negative tests, and ask for relief where it is needed.

Sunrise offshore of Portland, ME three years ago.

951963751_PortlandMEsunrise2.thumb.JPG.0aa288662d849f850f46f1167abf6435.JPG

Please stay safe and healthy and hope everyone has a great day!

Lori & George

Just gorgeous!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thursday's split pea soup was delicious, we will finish it tomorrow. Tonight is wild rice and mushroom stuffed pork chops. 

The Martini is such a simple drink but there seems to be endless variations. Using different gins and dry vermouths can radically change the end result. 

I like using Summer's basic recipe but substitute some of the gin with lemon vodka (maybe an ounce). I usually garnish with pimento stuffed green olives and pickled cocktail onions. The best onions IMHO are the sweet pickled ones I find in Ontario grocery stores. I can't seem to find them here in the States and I am starting to run low!

Here's some fall color from Deer Bay in 2014 -

image.thumb.png.a841e5b74e9927ece575904a22e10cba.png

• Like 13

Good morning, Dailyites, and thanks to Rich and Roy for their posts!  I was thinking of pasta for this evening and I think there is a bag of garlic shrimp from M & M's in the freezer!  Tasty addition.

Good things happening today!  Getting home safely is always a relief, and Jacqui, that's a big job over and done with.  Great news about your sister, hope she gets over whatever she has quickly.  

I have an appointment to get my hair cut this morning and then I hope to have a little time to continue my attack on the ivy in the back of our townhouse.  I have been filling my garden bin every week for the past month, and bit by bit, I am getting through it.  We are due for rain next week.    We don't get much Fall colour here - it doesn't get cold enough (haha!).  There are some trees around that are a beautiful red, but I think they are imports (sweet gum trees, maybe).  We have brought in our "potted palm" - a ponytail palm that DD acquired years ago in a 4 inch pot, and is now about 3 feet tall.  I think it happily grew at least 3 inches this year out on the deck.

IMG_5242.thumb.jpeg.e91be769fd52519c99f2b10739d13675.jpeg

• Like 16

Good morning all!  Great collection of days, I think pasta sounds perfect for tonight.  Lemon garlic shrimp sounds yummy too, one of my favorites.  So true about phone calls....I don't have a bathtub, but I can really relate, as the phone will ring if I'm not able to reach it.  Almost all of my family and friends do text and rarely call unless it's extremely important, so that does help some. 

@kazu you have such energy!  I love to garden, but the main reason I don't have bulbs that need to be dug up every year is I guess I'm lazy!  😄  And that's great news about your sister and BIL!!  

@Seasick Sailor happy birthday!

@StLouis Cruiser welcome back, I'm sure your visit meant a lot to your MIL.  Praying her pain can be eased.

We're getting ready to leave tomorrow for a short overnight trip to Leavenworth, a Bavarian town a few hours east of us.  It will be nice to have a change of scene even for a short time.  Probably their "Octoberfest" has been cancelled due to Covid this year, but there's always the cute shops to browse. 🙂  

Here’s some fall color from across the street. 

F2926C31-2E0B-4907-99A9-B583991243EC.jpeg

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 17

6 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

We're getting ready to leave tomorrow for a short overnight trip to Leavenworth, a Bavarian town a few hours east of us.  It will be nice to have a change of scene even for a short time.  Probably their "Octoberfest" has been cancelled due to Covid this year, but there's always the cute shops to browse. 🙂  

Happy trails. Sounds like a fun trip!

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gigianne said:

....  I wonder how many of us have dropped the phone in the bath water?  .....

Not quite the bath water, but

Many years ago, Like the mid 80s, the group I was working with had a Social Worker assigned. She was given one of those coveted beepers. You know, about 3x4x1. 
She told us she had to go tell our DON (who wasn’t known for her sense of humor) it wasn’t working anymore..... Perhaps it had to do with being (accidentally) dropped into the toilet. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

Good morning everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. The Daily really makes my day. Thank you for your lists Roy. 

Love the combination of days today. Probably won’t have pasta or shrimp tonight, I have pork chops in the fridge. I might look up Overhead Fred’s stuffed pork chops. 

Still hot here. This was yesterday’s high:

1EB0C3B6-D2D6-47EA-892E-E915BA1B7D0E.thumb.jpeg.6048fb678051e4ea6934d5223abac629.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

Sharon

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Well, good Saturday morning All!

Were still in the 90s, and hoping to get through this heat soon. Took out the remainder of our garden and put black plastic down to take advantage of the heat and get rid of some of the weeds that keep coming up. It will be a few weeks at least before I try lettuce. Interesting that many of the lettuce plants they were trying to sell at Home Depot were already bolted. And the battle with bind weed continues in other parts of the garden. The vinegar, Epsom salts and Dawn works well in the heat. I might continue the battle with DH’s heat gun. Trying to dig them out is only mildly effective, as the roots break in the heavy clay.

Our gelato machine arrived yesterday!  Tomorrow it will make its first batch. Any suggestions on what would go well with Appletaart? Am planning to serve pumpkin ravioli in sage, Francis Mallman’s pumpkin arugula salad and Handlers Riesling for Sunday dinner.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Our gelato machine arrived yesterday!  Tomorrow it will make its first batch. Any suggestions on what would go well with Appletaart? Am planning to serve pumpkin ravioli in sage, Francis Mallman’s pumpkin arugula salad and Handlers Riesling for Sunday dinner.

Yum! Your menu sounds good. I am a vanilla ice cream lover so maybe a vanilla caramel would go nice with your Apple dessert. 😋

• Like 5

4 hours ago, kazu said:

all dug up and have been moved into the house to dry (rain in the forecast today).

F5041879-1E0C-4AC0-A8CF-3849B36B1CDE.thumb.jpeg.21e3eda3ce2d9c67a5b2934ef43244d9.jpeg

Your peppers look like they are still blooming. My poblanos still haven’t taken off, they look like miniature versions. However my Fresno’s are blooming and budding so there’s hope. I’ll post a picture if they do well. 

• Like 5

Good morning, so much going on.  Thanks Rich, Roy.......

@kazugreat news on your sister!  Enjoy your well deserved wine tonight!  

@DeeniEncinitasso sorry to hear of your loss!  

@TiogaCruiser  I want to come for dinner!   How’s about cranberry walnut ice cream?    Or one of my favourites,  a Jamie Oliver rhubarb crumble custard?  

We had yummy cedar planked wild coho salmon last night, probably last of the season.  @cat shepard   Love those Brunellos!  Maybe tonight!  Here’s some photos from Montalcino 

image.thumb.jpeg.d1bae50c34485560801c0da37a5adb9e.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 11

21 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Your peppers look like they are still blooming. My poblanos still haven’t taken off, they look like miniature versions. However my Fresno’s are blooming and budding so there’s hope. I’ll post a picture if they do well. 

My peppers are still blooming and trying to bear fruit but it’s not warm here now and they’ll have to come in tonight to avoid frost again.  I might be fighting a losing battle 😉 😞 

I was hoping for another crop.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

today is National Pasta Day, Sweetest Day, and Wear Something Gaudy Day

Ask not for whom the telephone bell tolls ... if thou art in the bathtub, it tolls for thee.

Just because your doctor has a name for your condition doesn't mean he knows what it is..............................................

Free Smiles ~ The Doctor Visit | MyFreeProductSamples.com | Stressed mom,  Make me laugh, Humor

Today on The Flying McCoys - Comics by Glenn McCoy and Gary McCoy | Medical  jokes, Medical humor, Sick humor

frank doctor quack | SPYHollywood

Doctor Visit” by Carl D'Agostino | I Know I Made You Smile

• Like 5
  • Haha 7