Positive news on Covid vaccine!

DaveOKC

Great news but still a few things to be considered / worked out.

1. Length of immunity even with # 2 initial vaccinations (day 0, day 21).

2. Documented side effects (adverse and minor) with a larger ‘pool’ of recipients.

3. Need of a yearly booster vaccination (like seasonal flu vaccinations) to be determined as of yet (antibody studies ‘down the road’ required).

4. Acceptance by enough folks to be vaccinated, at least initially, to indeed, create a “herd immunity” overall.

5. Time frame for the CDC, foreign countries & local port entities to accept the data to allow cruise ship visits.

Many other questions to be certainly addressed but still, a GREAT start!

Stay tuned (me thinks everyone will be). 

Personally, I do seem more than a glimmer of light at the ‘end of the tunnel’ regarding future cruising but it will take time.

Be well.

Bob

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

That is their problem and their decision

Yes, it is.  But, their decision impacts the rest of us. Herd immunity takes quite awhile to develop.  

56 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Businesses, schools and other institutions always had the right to demand a vaccine to enter.  

Yet, in my community, there are others who ignore our Governor's pleas to wear a mask and the signs at the entrance at the business--and often within--to wear a mask.  Observe social distancing as well as possible.

I am unaware of any local business of ejecting a customer because they refused to wear a mask.  

The anti-vax, the anti-science basis for decision making that now exists in this Country has got to be confronted.  

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Old people first!!

The best info I've read has proposed that the priority for the vaccine would be: 

1. First Responders (Police/Fire/EMT/Hospital)
  2. High Risk (Seniors/others?)
  3. Moderate Risk 
  4. The rest

Other than Seniors being in the High Risk, I have not seen any details on who is proposed to be in each category. Another factor is Children, the trials of the vaccine for children has only started recently. The current Phase 3 trials are adults only (18+?).

Just now, rkacruiser said:

Yes, it is.  But, their decision impacts the rest of us. Herd immunity takes quite awhile to develop.  

Yet, in my community, there are others who ignore our Governor's pleas to wear a mask and the signs at the entrance at the business--and often within--to wear a mask.  Observe social distancing as well as possible.

I am unaware of any local business of ejecting a customer because they refused to wear a mask.  

The anti-vax, the anti-science basis for decision making that now exists in this Country has got to be confronted.  

I agree the anti-vax needs to be corrected.  Many school districts have bent to their hysteria.   Demanding that children be vaccinated should be re-instated in every public school.   I do think the cruise lines should require proof of a vaccine.  As far as the others they are in their own.  People who get the vaccine have nothing to worry about from them.   The CDC is projecting that 80% will get vaccinated.  If you trust their models that will be enough to alleviate the burden on the healthcare system.   

In my community I have seen widespread compliance but of course I don’t tend to go to crowded dance clubs which seems to be where media reports indicate there is low compliance

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drowelf said:

Other than Seniors being in the High Risk, I have not seen any details on who is proposed to be in each category. Another factor is Children, the trials of the vaccine for children has only started recently. The current Phase 3 trials are adults only (18+?).

Read page 11 and page 12 of the CDC report!

Shows phase 1 A healthcare workers

Shows Phase 1 B seniors 65 and older.

Gives a lot of detail which you need to read. 
Have a good evening 

Denise😊

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Wow!  Things are certainly different here.  Anyone refusing to wear a mask here is refused entry to any public place/store.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kazu said:

Wow!  Things are certainly different here.  Anyone refusing to wear a mask here is refused entry to any public place/store.

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/11/09/suspects-wanted-for-injuring-employee-after-refusing-to-wear-masks-at-cold-stone-creamery-in-edgewater/

Roy

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Such actions really are beyond my comprehension! Have not heard of hospitalizations from such locally, but there have been arguments - verbally and physically.  Have also seen people wear masks into a big box store and remove them once inside.

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Much hope that this news today will make a major difference in our current situation.  

But....

If the vaccine is truly what's advance billing is, the next major hurdle will be to convince "We, the People"--not just some of "We, the People"--but a very significant percentage of "We, the People" to take the vaccine.  

I heard that more people are taking the flu vaccine this year. I take this as a good sign. However, I do fear that there will still be a significant number of resisters. I think they will come from two opposite beliefs, either the vaccine was rushed through and who knows what side effects it will have, or the whole covid thing is a hoax so no need to protect against it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Such actions really are beyond my comprehension! Have not heard of hospitalizations from such locally, but there have been arguments - verbally and physically.  Have also seen people wear masks into a big box store and remove them once inside.

I too often see the masks being worn in stores not covering the nose or even ending up covering only the chin.

Recently in a big box store that required face coverings, I saw a person using her right hand as her face covering.

Edited by ontheweb
added second paragraph
  • Like 1

Carnival Corp.  (CCL) - Get Report shares slumped lower Tuesday after the cruise operator said it would sell around $1.5 billion in stock.

Carnival, which operates the AIDA, Costa and Princess cruises, said it would sell 67.1 million shares at what it called an 'at-the-market price' as part of a capital-building plan that follows a 40% boost for its share price over the past week. 

Carnival shares were marked 6.4% lower in early Tuesday trading following news of the stock sale to change hands at $18.02 each. The stock gained more than 40% over the past seven days as investors factored in the clean election victory of President Elect Joe Biden and the impact of Pfizer Inc.'s  breakthrough coronavirus vaccine.

15 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Carnival Corp.  (CCL) - Get Report shares slumped lower Tuesday after the cruise operator said it would sell around $1.5 billion in stock.

Carnival, which operates the AIDA, Costa and Princess cruises, said it would sell 67.1 million shares at what it called an 'at-the-market price' as part of a capital-building plan that follows a 40% boost for its share price over the past week. 

Carnival shares were marked 6.4% lower in early Tuesday trading following news of the stock sale to change hands at $18.02 each. The stock gained more than 40% over the past seven days as investors factored in the clean election victory of President Elect Joe Biden and the impact of Pfizer Inc.'s  breakthrough coronavirus vaccine.

That took some wind out of its sails.

4 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Have also seen people wear masks into a big box store and remove them once inside.

I just recently saw a woman in our big box store with her cloth mask pulled down around her neck.  I know they're required to be wearing one to enter so that told me she was wearing it when she entered, and then pulled it down. People like that....😡

• Like 1

The vaccine announcement was great news and we are optimistic.

But realistically we will not be making any travel plans, any travel decisions until the vaccine is actually ready for prime time AND until we get the jabs.

Edited by iancal

7 hours ago, kazu said:

Same here.  Many businesses had gatekeepers at the front door.  They were hired to enforce the mask mandate and monitor number of people in the store.  They didn't need to eject anyone because no one was allowed in without following protocols.  I talked to one of the gentlemen hired to do this task. He was from Iraq and he assured me that after being subject to Saddam's regime telling people to put on a mask or get out was a piece of cake.  

Edited by Mary229

3 hours ago, iancal said:

The vaccine announcement was great news and we are optimistic.

I feel the same.  But, if what I have learned is accurate, the vaccine requires freezers that will store the vaccine at -70 degrees.  That will be a difficult requirement for any Public Health Departments to meet as well as hospitals and doctors whether they are in private or a group practice.  

15 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I feel the same.  But, if what I have learned is accurate, the vaccine requires freezers that will store the vaccine at -70 degrees.  That will be a difficult requirement for any Public Health Departments to meet as well as hospitals and doctors whether they are in private or a group practice.  

That is not a difficult requirement for a medical facility.  Just google "medical freezer".

I work with equipment that is cooled to less than one degree above absolute zero.  -459 degrees Fahrenheit.  That is difficult.

igraf

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, igraf said:

That is not a difficult requirement for a medical facility.  Just google "medical freezer".

I work with equipment that is cooled to less than one degree above absolute zero.  -459 degrees Fahrenheit.  That is difficult.

igraf

I appreciate the information.  I was unaware of this.  I continue to learn.  Thank you.

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

If you read the CDC document I posted above the federal government is providing the equipment.    That document is a treasure trove of information especially if you are motivated to click through and read all of the sub documents.  It takes a while to weed through it.  

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Himself said:

'the timing of the announcement was amasing!

It's probably just as well.  Had they announced it just before the election, everyone would have freaked out that it was rushed ahead of the election and people would be more hesitant to get the jab.  Tough call, but probably better for public health that they waited.

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

If you read the CDC document I posted above the federal government is providing the equipment.    That document is a treasure trove of information especially if you are motivated to click through and read all of the sub documents.  It takes a while to weed through it.  

Thank you for posting it. I downloaded it yesterday to read the priority list. I admit I didn't read the whole thing....Interesting that it was released on 10/29; I hadn't realized some department was working on such a publication. Of course it makes sense, but I didn't think anyone was allowed to plan so far (at the time) into the future.

4 minutes ago, PSR said:

Thank you for posting it. I downloaded it yesterday to read the priority list. I admit I didn't read the whole thing....Interesting that it was released on 10/29; I hadn't realized some department was working on such a publication. Of course it makes sense, but I didn't think anyone was allowed to plan so far (at the time) into the future.

10/29 was only 11 days ago

Edited by Mary229